270soft Forum
vcczar

New Historical President RP

11 hours ago, vcczar said:

Ok I had time after all:

State of the Union for the 1848 Election

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: We are a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We are currently ranked a distant 3rd in industrial production behind Great Britain (now in first) and France. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 24 warships. Mexico has a larger army, and we have a larger navy. 

Foreign Affairs: We currently have a trade deal with Spain, after having acquired Florida. Relations are bad with France. We declared war on Mexico to gain the gold hills of California, and we have a secret gold-military treaty with Great Britain. We have a trade deal with China. 

Military: Our forces are heading to California, and also exist in Oregon Territory and in Florida. 

Economy: The economy has recovered, and is now expanding. 

Trade: Tariff is high a protective, which upsets the South. We have trade deals with Spain and China. 

Budget: Our budget is increasing because of major production, a very high tariff, and increased taxes. Our debt is expected to be paid off by 1850 (in two years!). 

Social Harmony: Harmony is not good. Free and Slave States are completely at odds, and the country is getting more divided with each year. "Bleeding Florida" is roundly considered to be a mess, with violence common. The state entered tentatively as a Free State, and was confirmed as much by the native population. This has greatly enraged the South to the point of considering secession. 

Immigration: We are not seeing significant numbers of immigrants or emigrants. 

Mood of the people: The mood is exceptionally volatile with fears of war, bloodshed, secession, etc. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Western expansionists are the only group still supportive of Henry. He is condemned in the South for not forcing Florida into becoming a Slave State and for not attempting to bully the courts into voting against the Florida legislature. New England does not favor Henry because he's not an abolitionist. The Mid-Atlantic States and some of the Midwest turning away from Henry, as they become more an more of the opinion of New England. There is now some Henry fatigue, as with any long-serving president. 

Party Power: No single party has an advantage, since the country is split between three parties. The Federalists have slightly larger representation in the US House, and now as well in the US Senate. 

Will President Henry run for another term ( @Kingthero )? All candidates for president should fill out the form below (and copy+paste this State of the Union):

Name and office:

Residential State:

Party (Federalist, Progress, or Republican):

Platform--(see the bolded parts of the State of the Union above for major issues)

VP character (must be for a different party from this presidential candidate)

Henry will run again, but will not run again when out of a state of war.

Name and office: President Godfrey Henry

Residential State: Tennessee

Party (Federalist, Progress, or Republican): Progress

Platform--(see the bolded parts of the State of the Union above for major issues): Aims to keep the peace in domestic issues, and aims to use the Mexican War as a uniting issue among Americans. While barely hanging on to the middle ground in slavery, Henry has kept the economy strong, and will continue to do so.

VP character (must be for a different party from this presidential candidate): Keep the same guy.

I may have time to type out the election tomorrow. @Rodja what party did your candidate belong to previously? 

OCC: Okay, candidates are set. I'll type of the election when I have an hour free. Might be tonight or tomorrow. 

23 hours ago, vcczar said:

Ok I had time after all:

State of the Union for the 1848 Election

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: We are a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We are currently ranked a distant 3rd in industrial production behind Great Britain (now in first) and France. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 24 warships. Mexico has a larger army, and we have a larger navy. 

Foreign Affairs: We currently have a trade deal with Spain, after having acquired Florida. Relations are bad with France. We declared war on Mexico to gain the gold hills of California, and we have a secret gold-military treaty with Great Britain. We have a trade deal with China. 

Military: Our forces are heading to California, and also exist in Oregon Territory and in Florida. 

Economy: The economy has recovered, and is now expanding. 

Trade: Tariff is high a protective, which upsets the South. We have trade deals with Spain and China. 

Budget: Our budget is increasing because of major production, a very high tariff, and increased taxes. Our debt is expected to be paid off by 1850 (in two years!). 

Social Harmony: Harmony is not good. Free and Slave States are completely at odds, and the country is getting more divided with each year. "Bleeding Florida" is roundly considered to be a mess, with violence common. The state entered tentatively as a Free State, and was confirmed as much by the native population. This has greatly enraged the South to the point of considering secession. 

Immigration: We are not seeing significant numbers of immigrants or emigrants. 

Mood of the people: The mood is exceptionally volatile with fears of war, bloodshed, secession, etc. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Western expansionists are the only group still supportive of Henry. He is condemned in the South for not forcing Florida into becoming a Slave State and for not attempting to bully the courts into voting against the Florida legislature. New England does not favor Henry because he's not an abolitionist. The Mid-Atlantic States and some of the Midwest turning away from Henry, as they become more an more of the opinion of New England. There is now some Henry fatigue, as with any long-serving president. 

Party Power: No single party has an advantage, since the country is split between three parties. The Federalists have slightly larger representation in the US House, and now as well in the US Senate. 

Will President Henry run for another term ( @Kingthero )? All candidates for president should fill out the form below (and copy+paste this State of the Union):

Name and office:

Residential State:

Party (Federalist, Progress, or Republican):

Platform--(see the bolded parts of the State of the Union above for major issues)

VP character (must be for a different party from this presidential candidate)

Senator Frederick C. Dallsworth

New Jersey

Federalist

Platform:  Dallsworth is now rather well-known among the Federalist Party as an Independent voice for the people, moderate and fair, he hopes to bring back that voice to DC.

Slavery: I recognize the right of men to own slaves and support Popular Sovereignty, the concept that each territory and state may decide Slave or Free.

Tariff: The tariff is riding a bit high for my tastes and I cannot say that I support it at such levels. Once our debt has been paid off, we can take steps toward reduction.

Bleeding Florida: This event is an absolute shame and devastating disappointment. I believe that the only way to resolve this issue is to allow the people of Florida to elect their own government and remove the monopoly of control put in place by the false Floridian government.

Debt: This is a crucial part of our welfare as a nation and I will not decrease revenues until the debt has been paid off.

War with Mexico: I support this War as we have already declared it and I will not try to back out of it, I would not have declared it in a state of debt but to back out now would be a fool's errand.

Expansion: I support expansion wholeheartedly but believe that we should be financially secure first. 

Women Suffrage: This is a ludicrous idea. No further comment as it does not deserve any thought.

Republican Veep Candidate

Rep. Randolph Yedver (VA-4)

Born: December 12th, 1801

Died: December 30th, 1889

Platform: (To be fleshed out later) Moderate Mid-Atlantic Republican- Conservative but not nearly as much as the Williams/Richardson branch of the party.

Position History: 

Mayor of Richmond, Virginia: March 4th, 1831 - March 4th, 1835

State Senator for 10th District: March 4th, 1835 - March 4th, 1843

U.S. Representative for Virginia's 4th: March 4th, 1843 - Incumbent

OCC: Election results have been calculated. I'll post the results when I have more time. 

Election of 1848

Federalist Convention

While Dallsworth commands considerable respect, the Federalist Party, amid "Bleeding Florida" and Westward Expansion, has shifted considerably towards the containment of slavery at the very least. As such, Morris wraps up enough delegates at the convention rather easily. Dallsworth picked up the token Federalist delegates in the South and West (but not Midwest). Two candidates stood for VP, but the Federalist leaders, to appeal to more voters, add Dallsworth to the pool, who is then nominated VP.  

General Election

This election sees four candidates. President Henry runs for reelection amid a controversial presidency and a new war. Republicans become even more attractive to the Slave States, while Federalists become even more attractive to the Free States; although, the latter party as nominated something of a radical. President Henry will likely be strongest in the middle of the country, which is now more opinionated than they were four years ago. Additionally, an independent candidate, who had been a very moderate Republican, has emerged. This candidate could undermine Pres. Henry and the Republicans. 

Morris/Dallsworth (Fed) -  109 EVs 48% PV ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, PA, WI

Henry/Carlyle (Prog)  86 EVs 25% PV NJ, DE, MD, KY, OH, IN, MI, IL, MO

Richardson/Yedver (Rep) 78 EVs 20% PV NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, AR, TN, VA

Marple/Doe (Ind) 3 EVs 7% PV - FL

[Federalists and Progressives go on to round 2. Henry fatigue leads to more enthusiasm for the Federalists, except in the expansionist West, where Henry has more voter enthusiasm]. 

2nd Round

Morris/Dallsworth (Fed) - 135 EVs 52% PV, NJ, OH switches from Prog to Feds + FL

Henry/Carlyle (Prog) - 134 EVs 48% PV All Republican states, minus OH and NJ, which flipped. 

[This was an insanely close election. Florida determined the election, and Henry had an advantage on the die with 4 numbers to Morris's 2. Henry soundly won every Republican state, as Morris only had a die roll in one of the states. NJ and OH flipped to the Federalists due to voter enthusiasm. NJ was likely, as Federalists should have won that in the first round. Ohio was a little more of a surprise, but it was possible. IN, and MI could have also flipped, but Henry was able to maintain those.]

**Morris is elected president of the US!** 

Raymond Marple refuses to congratulate Morris,calls election result beggining of civil war!

Francis Maverick,former Federalist nominee congratulates Morris and enocourages  to take urgent steps towards abolition!

Sen. Andrew Woodbury(F-NH) congratulates President-Elect Morris!

The election of 1848 will be remembered as a turning point in our young nation's history, the year in which we voted to break the evil chains of slavery in any new territories, and took a stance against the abomination that is enslaving our fellow man. I intend to work closely with our President to ensure that the rights of all men are guaranteed. The negro may not be freed today, but President Morris has made it clear that is the American vision for all men to participate in American society and in American democracy.

I urge President Morris to keep the tariff high and protective, and to not give in to the demands of the Southern states as President Henry did before him. Morris has the potential to be one of the greatest President's our republic has ever seen, and not only is he a strong leader to work with, but a personal friend of my own. 

( @vcczar I want to announce that I'm a candidate for Senate Majority Leader or even retro that I was a candidate before the election but want to ensure that the Federalist control the Senate first. Is that acceptable?)

Vice President Dallsworth to work across the aisle to keep the President in check from going too far to Abolition

I think that it is incredibly important that we work for the entire nation and not just the North or the East. I will oppose any attempts at abolition and will support a lowering of the tariff.

Morris on Election Win

This is a mandate against slavery, and I pledge my full support to eradicate this blot on our nation, and though I will encounter backlash from opponents, even my so-called Federalist Vice-President, there will be nothing to deter me from bringing America from the clutches of the beast of slavery, and into the bright, shining, fields of human rights.  

Senator Richardson congratulates the new President and calls on all Conservative forces to unite in four years.

501382134_Legend-1848.thumb.png.33f1d117d65a2a6488ece3d73931b38b.png377984254_Legend-1848(Round2).thumb.png.9774bdad91391b212c4148e7a7a07c78.png

34 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

(Side note: This looks fun, I'll wait for the next one.)

What might do you some good is to go ahead and create a candidate and post about your election results. For example:

Former Ambassador to France James Whittley wins Senate election in Michigan!

And then a brief overview of what your race was like or whatnot. This way we can see what your character is all about now and you'll have some level of familiarity to us and the GM before the election, though I'm not sure how much he weighs that if at all.

Regardless, looking forward to another RPer in our midst!

1 hour ago, CalebsParadox said:

( @vcczar I want to announce that I'm a candidate for Senate Majority Leader or even retro that I was a candidate before the election but want to ensure that the Federalist control the Senate first. Is that acceptable?)

There really isn't a Senate Majority leader, since no party has a majority. Federalists have had a plurality. You could just be the Federalist Senate Leader. There hasn't been a Senate Majority Leader in over a generation, since we haven't been a two party state. 

45 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

(Side note: This looks fun, I'll wait for the next one.)

Awesome I love to have more RPers among us.

Sen. Andrew Woodbury(F-NH) assumes Federalist Senate Leader position!

Sen. Andrew Woodbury of New Hampshire has been elected the Federalist Senate Leader, and leads a plurality of the Senate in voting coordination. A northeastern, abolitionist Federalist, he can be expected to whip the party to support the ambitions of President-Elect Morris, and is expected to work closely with the President on matters of abolition and tariffs. 

12 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

What might do you some good is to go ahead and create a candidate and post about your election results. For example:

Former Ambassador to France James Whittley wins Senate election in Michigan!

And then a brief overview of what your race was like or whatnot. This way we can see what your character is all about now and you'll have some level of familiarity to us and the GM before the election, though I'm not sure how much he weighs that if at all.

Regardless, looking forward to another RPer in our midst!

State Rep. Aaron Banks of West Virginia wins Senate election! Banks is well-known as a moderate Republican who attempts to reach across the aisle (which can hurt him with his own fellow Republicans). The toughest part of the race was the primary, where Banks squeaked out a win versus a seemingly unknown candidate. The main election, was not much better. A surprising three-way race ensued with Banks as the Republican, a Progress candidate, and a well-financed Federalist made the race interesting. Banks supports popular sovereignty, and supports a dynamic economy to return money to everyone.

Thanks for all the help everyone (needed to go back a few pages to read up on the past couple decades lol). If I did anything wrong, I'll fix it.

OCC: The Irony here is that the Republicans in our alternate history are the Pro-Slavery Party. The Progressive Party isn't really progressive at all. The Federalist Party isn't really conservative at all. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

OCC: The Irony here is that the Republicans in our alternate history are the Pro-Slavery Party. The Progressive Party isn't really progressive at all. The Federalist Party isn't really conservative at all. 

OOC: well It isn't actually the Republican Party, It's the Democratic-Republican Party, there is no GOP as we know it. Republican is just easier to write than Democratic-Republican Party, it's more of a Democratic Party than a Republican Party.

33 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

OOC: well It isn't actually the Republican Party, It's the Democratic-Republican Party, there is no GOP as we know it. Republican is just easier to write than Democratic-Republican Party, it's more of a Democratic Party than a Republican Party.

OOC: Yeah, I gathered that after a bit of reading. It seemed moderate for these kinds of Republicans to just support popular sovereignty. 

2 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

OOC: That party was never called the Democratic-Republicans. It was called one of those names or the other. Historians later named it that, only to differentiate it from the later Republicans. I'd say about 75% of the time, if not 80% of the time, they were referred to as Republicans. The term Democrat was used as an insult for them (Founders didn't like Democracy). Rather than call them D-R's, I usually called them JR's (Jeffersonian Republicans) or just Republicans. I can't call them Old Republicans, because that was a faction within their party after 1798. 

In other news, I'll post Pres. Morris's events/decisions after Pres. Henry @Kingthero responds to the election results. 

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

OOC: That party was never called the Democratic-Republicans. It was called one of those names or the other. Historians later named it that, only to differentiate it from the later Republicans. I'd say about 75% of the time, if not 80% of the time, they were referred to as Republicans. The term Democrat was used as an insult for them (Founders didn't like Democracy). Rather than call them D-R's, I usually called them JR's (Jeffersonian Republicans) or just Republicans. I can't call them Old Republicans, because that was a faction within their party after 1798. 

In other news, I'll post Pres. Morris's events/decisions after Pres. Henry @Kingthero responds to the election results. 

OOC: No I understand that, and the founders were right to deplore Democracy, but it's important to distinguish it from the GOP.