270soft Forum
vcczar

New Historical President RP

Now that @Reagan04 has responded. I'll wait for @Conservative Elector 2 to respond. I may have an hour to do the election tomorrow. 

59 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

Fair enough. I did see the possibility of a form of bleeding Kansas, but roleplay wise it takes the focus off of other more divisive matters and puts it in a situation where I can put blame on others and not on my own acts.

I'm always curious to see how the dice roll.

The dice roll are simple. If something seems 50/50, then one options is 1-3 and the other options is 4-6. If something leans one direction or the other, it takes a number from the other option. If it seems very likely but not 100% certain, then it would get all but one number. If there are more than two factors, then it might be 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, unless one of the factors is stronger than another. For instance, New England is often a 1 for American Progress; 2-4 for Federalist; 5-6 for Tory during the elections. At times, New England has only been between Federalists and Tories. For events/decisions, I generally do a roll along the same lines for Good result or bad result, and then I use my creative license to create a good or bad result. If a situation is likely bad, such as with the "Bleeding Florida" occurrence, then the die roll is 1-4 for a bad result and 5-6 for a good result, with the lower the number being the worst, and the highest the better. I won't tell you what is rolled because I don't want to give away the strength of the good or bad result, since the players should be somewhat blind to what could occur. It would be like playing a war game with "fog of war" turned off. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

Now that @Reagan04 has responded. I'll wait for @Conservative Elector 2 to respond. I may have an hour to do the election tomorrow. 

Sorry I was in bed! Richardson runs as VP for Jackson Williams

OCC: Update -- I've calculated the election already, I just need to find time at some point to type out all the results. 

Election of 1844

The country is more split than ever after the acquisition of Florida, which was admitted as a provisional Free State, but who's legislature (which has not yet formed) would ultimately decide the final status. This pleased neither pro-slavery or anti-slavery forces. Both factions are sending in ideologues into the state, hoping to shape Florida's future. Violence has occasionally occurred.  As such, the slavery issue and "Bleeding Florida" shape this election. New England and the Deep South have responded by keeping only one party on their ballots, the Federalists and Republican's respectively. The Federalists, fielding an abolitionist, are unlikely to gain enough support outside of New England. The Republicans, leaning very conservative, are unlikely to gain main states outside the Deep South. This leaves President Henry and his American Progress Party as the most likely party to take up the Middle States. As such, this could be the first election to be won on the first round in decades. 

Result:

Henry/Carlyle (Pro) 141 EVs 36% PV
[NY, NJ, DE, PA, MD, OH, IN, IL, MI, KY]

Williams/Richardson (Rep) 86 EVs 24% PV
[VA, NC, SC, GA, MS, AL, AR, TN, MO]

Maverick/Morris (Fed) 43 EV 40% PV
[ME, VT, NH, RI, CT, MA]

President Henry is reelected! As expected Henry was able to take the states least engaged in "Bleeding Florida." Some wonder if Henry negotiated the deal in order to create this grand reelection strategy. Republicans performed better than expected, securing Upper South states and Missouri. This is the first election to decide its president on the first vote in decades. 

I'll post the event/decisions after Pres. Henry @Kingthero gives his victory speech.

Henry Gives Victory Speech

This election was the first election in a while to be a single issue election. And sadly, I fear it won't be the last.

The Republican Party supports the institution of a Slave State by swarming pro-slave supporters into the region.

The Federalist Party supports the institution of a Free State by swarming anti-slave supporters into the region.

What gives these parties the right to sponsor two sides of bloodshed?

I am honored that the American People chose to re-election me, because that shows that the American People are not going to fall and sponsor one side of the bloodshed.

We shall see together, as Americans, the outcome of this occasion, and hope to focus on topics that can lead our country to great growth.

State of the Union for March 1845

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: We are a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We are currently ranked a distant 3rd in industrial production behind Great Britain (now in first) and France. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 24 warships. Mexico has a larger army, and we have a larger navy. 

Foreign Affairs: We currently have a trade deal with Spain, after having acquired Florida. Relations are bad with France. We are neutral with Mexico, Great Britain, Prussia, Austria, and the Netherlands. We have a trade deal with China. 

Military: We currently have our forces guarding the frontier.

Economy: The economy is still recovering from an economic panic--the Panic of 1842--caused by land speculation. The recession was sharp in 1842, and bounced back after less than a year, but it still hasn't recovered 100%.

Trade: Tariff is high a protective. We have trade deals with Spain and China. 

Budget: Our budget is increasing because of major production, a very high tariff, and increased taxes. Our debt is expected to be paid off by 1855. 

Social Harmony: The country is divided between Slave States and Free States, the admission of Florida as a temporary Free State that is to be decided by the legislature, has created a violent immigration fight for the fate of Florida. Abolitionists are taking boat loads of Northerners to Florida to gain residency. Likewise, Southerners are flooding South by foot and boat to defend slavery. Violent outbreaks are becoming more common. There is fear that the Seminoles might get involved. 

Immigration: We are not seeing significant numbers of immigrants or emigrants. 

Mood of the people: The slavery issue is disrupting the mood of the people,as is fear of war. However, expansionists are eager to expand. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: President Henry is wildly popular by his own party, but his acquisition of Florida has alienated the Deep South, New England, some in the Mid-West and Upper South. The West is supportive. 

Party Power: No single party has an advantage, since the country is split between three parties. The Federalists have slightly larger representation in the US House, while the American Progress Party has slightly more representation in the US Senate. 

Events and Decisions for March 1845-March 1849 for Pres Henry @Kingthero

1) Bleeding Florida

Violence has escalated between pro-slavery and anti-slavery settlers in Florida. The law enforcement, mostly former French citizens of French, Spanish, and Seminole descent are unable to provide any real security. Pro-slavery settlers have also attacked the protected Seminole lands in the south of the state, which has caused the Seminoles to retaliate. It is estimate that about 200 people have been killed state wide and the number is expected to increase. A government has not been able to form to establish any authority that people will listen to. 

2) Expansionist Dreams

Expansionists in the North are desiring Quebec, expansionists in the South are desiring Louisiana, Texas Mexico, and Cuba. Expansionists in the West are desiring Texas California and the Southwest. However, Britain, France, and Mexico have announced that they will oppose any expansion by the US on territories they own or those that are under their protection. Mexico shows signs of unrest, despite having their own government run by Mexicans. 

3) Abolitionists vs. Slaveholders elsewhere. 

Tension between abolitionists and slaveholders is escalating. We have seen riots in several cities. Settlers heading west have also attacked each other over these issues. Abolitionists have been sending anti-slavery circulars throughout the South.  

4) Tariff and tax and national debt

Another issue that is escalating is economics. The South is tired of catering to the South and they demand a steep reduction in tariff and taxes, while also wanting to speed up the payment of debt, which is currently set to be paid off by 1855. Northerners laugh at the Southerners by stating that the tariffs and taxes are what is allowing us to pay off the debt by 1855. Southerners believe the South will profit by a lower tariff and reduces taxes. The North says that industries must be protected to compete with British and French industries. 

5) Banking

The South also demands an end to the National Bank, believing that the bank usurps powers that the States can handle. They blame the bank for the recent speculation-caused panic, while the Northerners argue that the bank reduced the effect of the panic which was caused by speculation only. 

6) Southern Internal Improvements

Southern governments are trying to block federal efforts for Internal Improvements in the South, even though funding has already been applied to network the South with the rest of the country. Currently, a railroad links to Atlanta and Charlestown and Savannah, but that is it. Roads, bridges, canals, and forts are archaic. Southern states believe they can handle it themselves, and that Federal involvement will only lead to a total federal takeover of the states. 

7) Indians attack settlers in Oregon Territory

Indian tribes in the Oregon Territory have been attacking settlers, encroaching on land that they believe belongs to them. We currently have minimal forces in the West, since most of our forces are near Louisiana and Mexican Texas. 

😎 Gold in Mexican California

Gold has been discovered in Mexican California. If only the land was ours! Regardless many of our westward settlers are crossing into Mexican territory to search for Gold. The Mexican government is asking use to keep these illegal immigrants out of their country, or they will be forced to use more aggressive means. Expansionists are now extremely vocal about acquiring gold in California. Currently, Mexico is only allowing France rights to the mines. Mexico could become a wealthy empire if there is as much gold in those hills as is estimated. 

9) Wisconsin statehood

Do you support the inclusion of Wisconsin as a Free State? The people and an old Territory-to-Statehood Act would make it a Free State. They are prepared for statehood with or without your support. The South argues that Florida should become a Slave State to balance out the map; yet, abolitionists wish for you to keep your promise of letting the legislature of Florida to decide. 

10) Women's Rights

A Congress of women have called for women's rights. Not a single party favors a woman's right to vote; although, there is more support in New England and the Mid-Atlantic than anywhere else. Women Suffragettes call for your support. 

OOC: Did Florida herself vote in this election?

1) Bleeding Florida

The Henry Administration, already enraged at the violence going on in Florida, appropriates 5,000 troops and 6 warships of the army to force free elections to go on in the region. Violence on American soil in the name of politics is not something to tolerate.

2) Expansionist Dreams

The focus of expansion will be to the west. We will send scouts and explorers to specify which western moves would be the most cost-efficient and least costly on lives to expand into.

3) Abolitionists vs. Slaveholders elsewhere. 

The Henry Administration denounces the violence between the pro and anti slavery forces, noting that Bleeding Florida has already been an embarrassment to their cause.

4) Tariff and tax and national debt

The current economic composition is fine; in the past, the South already have exceptions and other economic incentives that the North does not.

5) Banking

The bank shall stay in its current form. Yet again, if there is a proposal that is better for everyone, than I will look into it.

6) Southern Internal Improvements

The Federal Government will now play hardball. If the South does not want improvements, than all internal improvements in the South will be abandoned. This will save the Federal Government money, result in a quicker debt repayal, and if the States say they can handle it, lets watch them try!

7) Indians attack settlers in Oregon Territory

Send more of the frontier army towards Oregon and California.

😎 Gold in Mexican California

Take it on with the International Community, especially the powers of Great Britain and Prussia, that France and Mexico are hoarding the gold on disputed territory between the United States and Mexico. If the international community helps arbitrate the conflict, than they shall also get rights to the gold. The U.S. Government however wants control of the land that the international community would get their share of gold from.

9) Wisconsin statehood

Wisconsin should become a State, as a Free State. There is no point in obstructing State creation that will lead to a stronger America.

10) Women's Rights

White women deserve the right to vote in my opinion, but it seems highly unlikely for the House and Senate to push it through.

7 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

OOC: Did Florida herself vote in this election?

OCC: No, it isn't organized, even though it entered as a state. It hasn't any US citizens other than the native population, few of whom speak English. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

OCC: No, it isn't organized, even though it entered as a state. It hasn't any US citizens other than the native population, few of whom speak English. 

Thanks. I was the whole day at the University. Here is the map.

Legend - 1844.png

28 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Thanks. I was the whole day at the University. Here is the map.

Legend - 1844.png

Looks like three nations

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Looks like three nations

I see what you are implying, and that spells trouble.

New York Senator John Wesley of the APP Begins Gaining Influence

President Henry has been serving our country for the past two decades to one degree or another, and soon it will be time for a successor of the APP presidential candidate. I am going to be working with Progress leaders all across the nation in hopes that I can become the clear successor to our President.

4 hours ago, Kingthero said:

The Henry Administration, already enraged at the violence going on in Florida, appropriates 5,000 troops and 6 warships of the army to force free elections to go on in the region. Violence on American soil in the name of politics is not something to tolerate.

The military arrives as Pro-Slavery, Pro-Abolition, French-descent Floridians, and Seminoles have begun to increase the violence, which has resulted in 800 deaths. Marshal law has been established. The General, Jackson Andrew,  leading this mission has rounded up the leaders of the Pro-Slavery and Pro-Abolition factions, and is placing them on trial. Both leaders condemn the military's involvement. Violence still exists, but it has been greatly reduced. The General, having no other option to preserve order, has requested that any Floridians holding government positions during the French Florida era to return to their offices (American equivalents that is). That said, the government is composed of 60% French-descent, 25% Spanish-descent, and 15% Seminole descent. No American settler holds a spot in their legislature, as they have just arrived, and no voting has occurred. The legislatures hoping to act before an election can be held, declares Florida a Free State, and that Seminole lands are guaranteed in perpetuity! Abolitionists are rejoiceful. Pro-slavery settlers begin to riot and commit more violence. The military, having no other choice, begins to crack down on them. The South is enraged. Overall, the situation needs the president to respond and potentially act. 

The focus of expansion will be to the west. We will send scouts and explorers to specify which western moves would be the most cost-efficient and least costly on lives to expand into.

Expansionists are arguing that an invasion of California would be the least costly in lives, and the most profitable. However, the military argues that the situation in Florida might need to be dealt with first and we are also dealing with Indians in Oregon. Economists argue that the most lucrative Gold is being dug out now, and that America needs California now. 

The Federal Government will now play hardball. If the South does not want improvements, than all internal improvements in the South will be abandoned. This will save the Federal Government money, result in a quicker debt repayal, and if the States say they can handle it, lets watch them try!

The Southern state governments accept the end of internal improvements in their states, and are pleased to see the funds used on the debt. Current estimated repayment is now 1850.

18 hours ago, vcczar said:

Gold has been discovered in Mexican California. If only the land was ours! Regardless many of our westward settlers are crossing into Mexican territory to search for Gold. The Mexican government is asking use to keep these illegal immigrants out of their country, or they will be forced to use more aggressive means. Expansionists are now extremely vocal about acquiring gold in California. Currently, Mexico is only allowing France rights to the mines. Mexico could become a wealthy empire if there is as much gold in those hills as is estimated. 

Prussia, Austria, Netherlands express that they lament that Mexico and France have access to this gold, but as the gold is within the boarders of sovereign Mexico, protected by France , that the country has the right to the Gold and to allow whomeever they wish access to the Gold. Great Britain is in favor or pressuring Mexico to allow other countries access to the gold; however, parliament is opposed to violating a Treaty that granted the French breakup of their former Empire. Great Britain cannot use force against former French possessions for another 6 years. 

5 hours ago, Kingthero said:

White women deserve the right to vote in my opinion, but it seems highly unlikely for the House and Senate to push it through.

The women rights activists are overjoyed. Meanwhile, social traditionalists in all parties, the majority of all parties, believe President Henry is out of his mind. Three US Reps propose an amendment to allow women to vote. However, it only gets 15 votes and fails. 

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

The military arrives as Pro-Slavery, Pro-Abolition, French-descent Floridians, and Seminoles have begun to increase the violence, which has resulted in 800 deaths. Marshal law has been established. The General, Jackson Andrew,  leading this mission has rounded up the leaders of the Pro-Slavery and Pro-Abolition factions, and is placing them on trial. Both leaders condemn the military's involvement. Violence still exists, but it has been greatly reduced. The General, having no other option to preserve order, has requested that any Floridians holding government positions during the French Florida era to return to their offices (American equivalents that is). That said, the government is composed of 60% French-descent, 25% Spanish-descent, and 15% Seminole descent. No American settler holds a spot in their legislature, as they have just arrived, and no voting has occurred. The legislatures hoping to act before an election can be held, declares Florida a Free State, and that Seminole lands are guaranteed in perpetuity! Abolitionists are rejoiceful. Pro-slavery settlers begin to riot and commit more violence. The military, having no other choice, begins to crack down on them. The South is enraged. Overall, the situation needs the president to respond and potentially act. 

Expansionists are arguing that an invasion of California would be the least costly in lives, and the most profitable. However, the military argues that the situation in Florida might need to be dealt with first and we are also dealing with Indians in Oregon. Economists argue that the most lucrative Gold is being dug out now, and that America needs California now. 

The Southern state governments accept the end of internal improvements in their states, and are pleased to see the funds used on the debt. Current estimated repayment is now 1850.

Prussia, Austria, Netherlands express that they lament that Mexico and France have access to this gold, but as the gold is within the boarders of sovereign Mexico, protected by France , that the country has the right to the Gold and to allow whomeever they wish access to the Gold. Great Britain is in favor or pressuring Mexico to allow other countries access to the gold; however, parliament is opposed to violating a Treaty that granted the French breakup of their former Empire. Great Britain cannot use force against former French possessions for another 6 years. 

The women rights activists are overjoyed. Meanwhile, social traditionalists in all parties, the majority of all parties, believe President Henry is out of his mind. Three US Reps propose an amendment to allow women to vote. However, it only gets 15 votes and fails. 

The Henry Administration reduces the military presence in Florida to 2,500 soldiers and 4 warships to continually mediate the Florida crisis, and begins the mobilization of the rest of the army and militias, works to formalize a treaty with Britain in which they will pay for a substantial amount of the war effort, not declare war and fight, in return of gold rights, and presents Mexico with an ultimatum that if they do not give us California in exchange for fair gold rights, than the U.S army will launch a full scale invasion of Mexico.

Strategies: Utilize warships to cut off Mexican trade, as well as use smaller boats to cut off Mexican troops from crossing the Rio Grande river.

Utilize two main armies, sending one down from Oregon to clear out Mexican resistance and secure the gold mines, and the other to push and then guard the land east of the Pacific west of the Rio Grande. The militia forces, once mobilized, will be split up to reinforce the armies in potential battles and possibly flank enemy positions by surprise. Also, use part of the militia to garrison Oregon to "defend against enemies".

Utilize the ability to combine Prussian tactics with American guerilla warfare to strangle enemy supply lines and launch surprise attacks.

A declaration of war is not presented to Congress yet, but will be once Great Britain's response to our request for financial aid is acted upon in one form or fashion.

[OCC: @Kingthero I'll continue with a response to the Mexican Invasion after you respond, as President Henry, to events in Florida. It seems hardly the thing a president would ignore.]

13 hours ago, vcczar said:

[OCC: @Kingthero I'll continue with a response to the Mexican Invasion after you respond, as President Henry, to events in Florida. It seems hardly the thing a president would ignore.]

I address the military presence, but I will address it again.

America, we now have three groups of people killing eachother in Florida. We have the original inhabitants, which thought it would be so kind to de-legitimize the Government by pulling some sketchy and possibly illegal loopholes to determining their legislation, as they have not had a legitimate election. I throw their passage of laws to the supreme court, noting that they have no democratic authority to change laws.

As for the other two groups, you know who you are, and you better stop killing eachother over a State that is pretty much just a symbol of your cause.

21 hours ago, Kingthero said:

The Henry Administration reduces the military presence in Florida to 2,500 soldiers and 4 warships to continually mediate the Florida crisis, and begins the mobilization of the rest of the army and militias, works to formalize a treaty with Britain in which they will pay for a substantial amount of the war effort, not declare war and fight, in return of gold rights, and presents Mexico with an ultimatum that if they do not give us California in exchange for fair gold rights, than the U.S army will launch a full scale invasion of Mexico.

Strategies: Utilize warships to cut off Mexican trade, as well as use smaller boats to cut off Mexican troops from crossing the Rio Grande river.

Utilize two main armies, sending one down from Oregon to clear out Mexican resistance and secure the gold mines, and the other to push and then guard the land east of the Pacific west of the Rio Grande. The militia forces, once mobilized, will be split up to reinforce the armies in potential battles and possibly flank enemy positions by surprise. Also, use part of the militia to garrison Oregon to "defend against enemies".

Utilize the ability to combine Prussian tactics with American guerilla warfare to strangle enemy supply lines and launch surprise attacks.

A declaration of war is not presented to Congress yet, but will be once Great Britain's response to our request for financial aid is acted upon in one form or fashion.

7 hours ago, Kingthero said:

I address the military presence, but I will address it again.

America, we now have three groups of people killing eachother in Florida. We have the original inhabitants, which thought it would be so kind to de-legitimize the Government by pulling some sketchy and possibly illegal loopholes to determining their legislation, as they have not had a legitimate election. I throw their passage of laws to the supreme court, noting that they have no democratic authority to change laws.

As for the other two groups, you know who you are, and you better stop killing eachother over a State that is pretty much just a symbol of your cause.

The Supreme Court, compromised of 3 Federalists, 4 American Progress, and 2 Republican judges, take up the laws recently passed by Congress. In a 5-4 decisions (Progress judges split), the SC rules rules that the government of Florida is legitimate by virtue of the Treaty of acquisition. The majority rules that the statements from the treaty that the rights and protections of the French-descent and Seminoles implies that these Floridians become US citizens, as they held French citizenship, even the Seminoles. The majority also points out that General Jackson Andrew used federal authority, powers of martial law, to establish  the Florida legislature, when he called for those serving under the former government to resume their offices, in an effort to create stability and order. The dissenting judges argue that citizenship cannot be immediately granted, as these people are technically foreign born, even if they are still living in the physical land of their birth. Furthermore, the new state having no residency laws, entitles the settlers, pro-slavery or abolitionist, to instant residency; therefore, instant eligibility for political office in Florida. The 5-4 decisions makes Florida's entrance as a Free State, as well as the protection of the Seminoles, legal. 

The Free States are elated; the Slave States are irate. Pro-slavery activists arrive at the White House demanding answers from the president. 

In response to this, the "foreign-born" legislature of Florida quickly created a 10-year residency requirement for office, giving the native inhabitants a decade monopoly on power. The new 1/2 French-descent, 1/2 Seminole-descent governor, begins to appoint Abolitionists to unelected positions in the Florida government. 

In other news, Great Britain sends a diplomat to President Henry. Great Britain will agree to fund the entire military costs for one-year in exchange for rights to specific gold mines for British citizens. However, Great Britain hopes that this agreement will remain secret, so as to not rile France against them. 

52 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The Supreme Court, compromised of 3 Federalists, 4 American Progress, and 2 Republican judges, take up the laws recently passed by Congress. In a 5-4 decisions (Progress judges split), the SC rules rules that the government of Florida is legitimate by virtue of the Treaty of acquisition. The majority rules that the statements from the treaty that the rights and protections of the French-descent and Seminoles implies that these Floridians become US citizens, as they held French citizenship, even the Seminoles. The majority also points out that General Jackson Andrew used federal authority, powers of martial law, to establish  the Florida legislature, when he called for those serving under the former government to resume their offices, in an effort to create stability and order. The dissenting judges argue that citizenship cannot be immediately granted, as these people are technically foreign born, even if they are still living in the physical land of their birth. Furthermore, the new state having no residency laws, entitles the settlers, pro-slavery or abolitionist, to instant residency; therefore, instant eligibility for political office in Florida. The 5-4 decisions makes Florida's entrance as a Free State, as well as the protection of the Seminoles, legal. 

The Free States are elated; the Slave States are irate. Pro-slavery activists arrive at the White House demanding answers from the president. 

In response to this, the "foreign-born" legislature of Florida quickly created a 10-year residency requirement for office, giving the native inhabitants a decade monopoly on power. The new 1/2 French-descent, 1/2 Seminole-descent governor, begins to appoint Abolitionists to unelected positions in the Florida government. 

In other news, Great Britain sends a diplomat to President Henry. Great Britain will agree to fund the entire military costs for one-year in exchange for rights to specific gold mines for British citizens. However, Great Britain hopes that this agreement will remain secret, so as to not rile France against them. 

While I respect the Supreme Court's decision as any wise man should, I publicly denounce Florida's monopoly of their Government.

When the pro-slavery activists arrive at the White House, I explain to them that now that the Supreme Court has decided on the matter, I can not use any presidential authority to go against the ruling of the case. I inform them that they should focus on expanding slavery in the west, especially with our future expansion.

The deal will remain secret, and I officially present the declaration of war on Mexico to the Legislature, using the casus belli that they are monopolizing a resource that is actually originating from our land, noting that rivers flow from our territory into theirs that have gold. Also spin certain western indian attacks as Mexican attacks on our settlers, trespassing of territory, etc.

If the war does pass congress, the ultimatum to Mexico is that if they share their gold rights and cede all western lands including and north of Mexican Texas, that we will promise not to carry out anymore violence for a period of 25 years.

If the ultimatum fails, commence the war immediately. If the ultimatum succeeds, the war will not happen.

If war happens, I shall use the strategy I posted before, But also take full advantage of the British deal by pre-paying militias and soldiers in advance during the first year, and for the production of military supplies. This would end up making the British pay more, but since they only have to pay for a years worth of it, and we would have to still continue maintenance, and the British would get gold rights, it would not anger the British much as the war is technically decreasing the influence of its european enemies.

The goal of this war is to be fast, and if the Mexicans will accept peace in which we take all irl western states in Mexican control, we will end the war. Also, we would still be open to giving the Mexicans a small amount of gold rights, and work out a 50 year peace agreement in order to make the early peace deal worth it.

47 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

While I respect the Supreme Court's decision as any wise man should, I publicly denounce Florida's monopoly of their Government.

When the pro-slavery activists arrive at the White House, I explain to them that now that the Supreme Court has decided on the matter, I can not use any presidential authority to go against the ruling of the case. I inform them that they should focus on expanding slavery in the west, especially with our future expansion.

The deal will remain secret, and I officially present the declaration of war on Mexico to the Legislature, using the casus belli that they are monopolizing a resource that is actually originating from our land, noting that rivers flow from our territory into theirs that have gold. Also spin certain western indian attacks as Mexican attacks on our settlers, trespassing of territory, etc.

If the war does pass congress, the ultimatum to Mexico is that if they share their gold rights and cede all western lands including and north of Mexican Texas, that we will promise not to carry out anymore violence for a period of 25 years.

If the ultimatum fails, commence the war immediately. If the ultimatum succeeds, the war will not happen.

If war happens, I shall use the strategy I posted before, But also take full advantage of the British deal by pre-paying militias and soldiers in advance during the first year, and for the production of military supplies. This would end up making the British pay more, but since they only have to pay for a years worth of it, and we would have to still continue maintenance, and the British would get gold rights, it would not anger the British much as the war is technically decreasing the influence of its european enemies.

The goal of this war is to be fast, and if the Mexicans will accept peace in which we take all irl western states in Mexican control, we will end the war. Also, we would still be open to giving the Mexicans a small amount of gold rights, and work out a 50 year peace agreement in order to make the early peace deal worth it.

As your term winds down, you meet with Congressional expansionists to discuss the secret treaty. Their leaders make it clear that the secret treaty cannot be known to anti-expansionists, and anti-war politicians, since they would obviously make the treaty public. Therefore, declaration of war is sent to Congress without the secret treaty being mentioned. Congress is about 40% Federalist, 30% Progress, and 30% Republican. Every Republican votes for war, as do nearly every Progress Congress person.  A quarter of Federalists also support a land grab, since it involves gold, and California would unlikely become a Slave State. We have officially declared war on Mexico. 

You have now sent an ultimate to Mexico; however, the answer will not arrive until after the next election. 

OCC: Up next I will past the updated State of the Union when I have an hour straight free. I might not have time for this until Thursday, as I'm grading end of quarter research papers. 

Ok I had time after all:

State of the Union for the 1848 Election

National Strength: We are a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We are currently ranked a distant 3rd in industrial production behind Great Britain (now in first) and France. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 24 warships. Mexico has a larger army, and we have a larger navy. 

Foreign Affairs: We currently have a trade deal with Spain, after having acquired Florida. Relations are bad with France. We declared war on Mexico to gain the gold hills of California, and we have a secret gold-military treaty with Great Britain. We have a trade deal with China. 

Military: Our forces are heading to California, and also exist in Oregon Territory and in Florida. 

Economy: The economy has recovered, and is now expanding. 

Trade: Tariff is high a protective, which upsets the South. We have trade deals with Spain and China. 

Budget: Our budget is increasing because of major production, a very high tariff, and increased taxes. Our debt is expected to be paid off by 1850 (in two years!). 

Social Harmony: Harmony is not good. Free and Slave States are completely at odds, and the country is getting more divided with each year. "Bleeding Florida" is roundly considered to be a mess, with violence common. The state entered tentatively as a Free State, and was confirmed as much by the native population. This has greatly enraged the South to the point of considering secession. 

Mood of the people: The mood is exceptionally volatile with fears of war, bloodshed, secession, etc. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Western expansionists are the only group still supportive of Henry. He is condemned in the South for not forcing Florida into becoming a Slave State and for not attempting to bully the courts into voting against the Florida legislature. New England does not favor Henry because he's not an abolitionist. The Mid-Atlantic States and some of the Midwest turning away from Henry, as they become more an more of the opinion of New England. There is now some Henry fatigue, as with any long-serving president. 

Party Power: No single party has an advantage, since the country is split between three parties. The Federalists have slightly larger representation in the US House, and now as well in the US Senate. 

Will President Henry run for another term ( @Kingthero )? All candidates for president should fill out the form below (and copy+paste this State of the Union):

Name and office:

Residential State:

Party (Federalist, Progress, or Republican):

Platform--(see the bolded parts of the State of the Union above for major issues)

VP character (must be for a different party from this presidential candidate)

40 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Ok I had time after all:

Foreign Affairs: We currently have a trade deal with Spain, after having acquired Florida. Relations are bad with France. We declared war on Mexico to gain the gold hills of California, and we have a secret gold-military treaty with Great Britain. We have a trade deal with China. 

Military: Our forces are heading to California, and also exist in Oregon Territory and in Florida. 

Trade: Tariff is high a protective, which upsets the South. We have trade deals with Spain and China. 

Budget: Our budget is increasing because of major production, a very high tariff, and increased taxes. Our debt is expected to be paid off by 1850 (in two years!). 

Social Harmony: Harmony is not good. Free and Slave States are completely at odds, and the country is getting more divided with each year. "Bleeding Florida" is roundly considered to be a mess, with violence common. The state entered tentatively as a Free State, and was confirmed as much by the native population. This has greatly enraged the South to the point of considering secession. 

Mood of the people: The mood is exceptionally volatile with fears of war, bloodshed, secession, etc. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Western expansionists are the only group still supportive of Henry. He is condemned in the South for not forcing Florida into becoming a Slave State and for not attempting to bully the courts into voting against the Florida legislature. New England does not favor Henry because he's not an abolitionist. The Mid-Atlantic States and some of the Midwest turning away from Henry, as they become more an more of the opinion of New England. There is now some Henry fatigue, as with any long-serving president. 

Party Power: No single party has an advantage, since the country is split between three parties. The Federalists have slightly larger representation in the US House, and now as well in the US Senate. 

Will President Henry run for another term ( @Kingthero )? All candidates for president should fill out the form below (and copy+paste this State of the Union):

Name and office:

Residential State:

Platform--(see the bolded parts of the State of the Union above for major issues)

Name and office: Governor Elijah T. Morris

Residential State: Massachusetts

Party (Federalist, Progress, or Republican):  Federalist

Platform-

Slavery: Immediate abolition of slaves as well as legislated equal rights for all peoples, but if forced to compromise I'd allow slavery to exist where it is now as long as it's banned in any new states and free blacks are given equal rights.

Tariff: This tariff has allowed our economy to expand and I shall continue it, but perhaps I could be persuaded to cut it slightly once we pay off the debt.

Bleeding Florida: Though I favor abolition I can't support killing others for their beliefs, however evil, and backwards they are, but regardless Florida's a free state now and this should be respected.

Debt: I will continue our debt payoff program.

War with Mexico: This is nothing more than a product of greed and I oppose it.

Expansion: I'm not opposed to expansion but I prefer to do things peacefully and would like to ban slavery in any new states if not completely abolish it.

Women Suffrage: Part of my equal rights for all peoples include women and I've even put pressure on the Massachusetts legislature to allow women the vote.

VP character: Daniel Seward Representative from New Jersey 

Name:Raymond Marple

Office:Buisnessman from Ohio

Party:No Affilation

Platform:

Slavery:Slavery is evil and unhumane.Denounce it,but do not abolish it so we dont upset the South.

Tarrif:Tariff is too high and should be lowered!

Bleeding Florida:Arrest those responsibe for massacre on both sides.

War with Mexico:War should be continue until the victory!

Expansion:Expansionism should be our main national priority!

Women Suffrage:Let women vote!They are no less worthy than we are!

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

Ok I had time after all:

Name and office:

Residential State:

Name and title: Senator of Arkansas Earl L. Richardson

State: Arkansas

Party: Republican

Platform

Earl L. Richardson was born in 1790 in Savannah, Georgia and moved with his family to Tennessee at young age, where they built a farming and ranching business. His father served in the Revolutionary War and so he and his two brothers enlisted to the army shortly after the outbreak of the War of 1811. After the war he returned to Tennessee to preach to his local community, helped at the family farm, educated underprivileged children and slaves and advised the Republican Tennessee Government primarily on Veterans and Agricultural affairs. He moved to the Arkansas Territory during the Henry presidency and advised the Territorial Government on the same issues, which concerned Richardson's life. He is also a strong advocate for expansion westwards and wants to see Arkansas developing into a leading state within the Union. After being elected as Arkansas's first Governor in their statehood, and after serving 8 years as Governor, RIchardson was elected to the US Senate in 1846. He aims now for the Presidency to lead the Republican Party to their former glory again.

- focus on expansionism, aim to take back Louisiana and acquire Texas and Florida and possibly other (Caribbean) territories. 

- Supportive of the war against Mexico in order to gain gold from California

- The National Bank should be disbanded again

- lowering the tariff

- We will not focus at internal improvements, so we can pay off the debt in time

- To resolve Bleeding Florida, consider to part the state into one free and one slave state or admit new slave states in the west

- Slavery is a necessary evil currently, and I do not intend to make any changes to the current policies. Slavery will be kept under a Richardson administration.

- strongly pro-States rights, but opposing secession

- social conservatism

Create a VP candidate for another party (Title, Name, State, Party

Gov. David Walker Harrington of Maine (Federalist) born 1786, Gov since 1842