270soft Forum
vcczar

New Historical President RP

@Kingthero

As your term winds down, the Spanish diplomat wishes to negotiate a sale of Florida. Spain will sell Florida at a moderate cost. In exchange, Spain wishes a guarantee of Seminole Rights and protection, as per the treaty they had with France. That slavery be prohibited from the state. That Spain is given a favorable trade status. 

Economists suggest that our economic downturn caused by the speculation makes this treaty expensive even at a moderate cost, but expansionists say that this is worth it, regardless. The South is irate about a potential Free State in the South. New England, Mid-Atlantic, and Midwest are ecstatic about a Free State Florida. 

Just now, vcczar said:

@Kingthero

As your term winds down, the Spanish diplomat wishes to negotiate a sale of Florida. Spain will sell Florida at a moderate cost. In exchange, Spain wishes a guarantee of Seminole Rights and protection, as per the treaty they had with France. That slavery be prohibited from the state. That Spain is given a favorable trade status. 

Economists suggest that our economic downturn caused by the speculation makes this treaty expensive even at a moderate cost, but expansionists say that this is worth it, regardless. The South is irate about a potential Free State in the South. New England, Mid-Atlantic, and Midwest are ecstatic about a Free State Florida. 

Counter-proposal: The Henry administration informs Spain they they will either drop the price down by a substantial amount, or they will sell us the land at the current price with no strings attached. Spain is losing Spanish blood to the conflicts going on in Florida, and we are more serving them a favor by buying land they are dying on.

22 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

Counter-proposal: The Henry administration informs Spain they they will either drop the price down by a substantial amount, or they will sell us the land at the current price with no strings attached. Spain is losing Spanish blood to the conflicts going on in Florida, and we are more serving them a favor by buying land they are dying on.

Seeing that the trade deal will be more beneficial than the upfront loss in sale, Spain will be willing to sell the land cheaply in exchange for the original strings -- trade deal, entrance as Free State, Seminole protected and with Rights guaranteed 

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Seeing that the trade deal will be more beneficial than the upfront loss in sale, Spain will be willing to sell the land cheaply in exchange for the original strings -- trade deal, entrance as Free State, Seminole protected and with Rights guaranteed 

We accept the deal under the following conditions (which Spain would obviously not realize at this is interior politics, and we are agreeing to their terms.)

The act of favoring Spain a little more will occur, but more at the expense of France than Britain and Prussia.

Florida will enter as a Free State, but as there is no law forcing it to stay a Free State, especially in this unique case, the Florida legislators may vote to change this.

The Seminole Indians will be protected upon entry, but in the future if the Florida Government wants them out, they will follow suite of the Indian Removal act.

All and all, these interior policies are allowing the Florida residents to determine their own fate after the deal is honored.

11 hours ago, Kingthero said:

We accept the deal under the following conditions (which Spain would obviously not realize at this is interior politics, and we are agreeing to their terms.)

The act of favoring Spain a little more will occur, but more at the expense of France than Britain and Prussia.

Florida will enter as a Free State, but as there is no law forcing it to stay a Free State, especially in this unique case, the Florida legislators may vote to change this.

The Seminole Indians will be protected upon entry, but in the future if the Florida Government wants them out, they will follow suite of the Indian Removal act.

All and all, these interior policies are allowing the Florida residents to determine their own fate after the deal is honored.

The deal is accepted by Spain. I'll type out the State of the Union for the end of this term when I have a solid hour free. 

State of the Union for Election Day 1844

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: We are a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We are currently ranked a distant 3rd in industrial production behind Great Britain (now in first) and France. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 24 warships. Mexico has a larger army, and we have a larger navy. 

Foreign Affairs: We currently have a trade deal with Spain, after having acquired Florida. Relations are bad with France. We are neutral with Mexico, Great Britain, Prussia, Austria, and the Netherlands. We have a trade deal with China. 

Military: We currently have our forces guarding the frontier.

Economy: The economy is still recovering from an economic panic--the Panic of 1842--caused by land speculation. The recession was sharp in 1842, and bounced back after less than a year, but it still hasn't recovered 100%.

Trade: Tariff is high a protective. We have trade deals with Spain and China. 

Budget: Our budget is increasing because of major production, a very high tariff, and increased taxes. Our debt is expected to be paid off by 1855. 

Social Harmony: The country is divided between Slave States and Free States, the admission of Florida as a temporary Free State that is to be decided by the legislature, has created a violent immigration fight for the fate of Florida. Abolitionists are taking boat loads of Northerners to Florida to gain residency. Likewise, Southerners are flooding South by foot and boat to defend slavery. Violent outbreaks are becoming more common. There is fear that the Seminoles might get involved. 

Immigration: We are not seeing significant numbers of immigrants or emigrants. 

Mood of the people: The slavery issue is disrupting the mood of the people,as is fear of war. However, expansionists are eager to expand. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: President Henry is wildly popular by his own party, but his acquisition of Florida has alienated the Deep South, New England, some in the Mid-West and Upper South. The West is supportive. 

Party Power: The Liberal and Conservative Coalitions have given way to a tripartite party system--Federalists, American Progress, and Republican. The Tories are reluctantly making efforts to reintegrate with the Federalists, which the Nullifiers have done with the Republicans, bolstering that dying party. The American Progress Party has chosen the middle way. Currently, no party has a majority; although, Federalists have a plurality. 

Will President Henry run for another term? @Kingthero Will the Federalists or Republicans field strong candidates? @WVProgressive  @Reagan04 @Conservative Elector 2 @CalebsParadox @Rodja

Elijah T. Morris and the Tories agree to re-join the federalists as long as he is made the vice-presidential nominee.

53 minutes ago, vcczar said:

National Strength: We are a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We are currently ranked a distant 3rd in industrial production behind Great Britain (now in first) and France. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 24 warships. Mexico has a larger army, and we have a larger navy. 

Foreign Affairs: We currently have a trade deal with Spain, after having acquired Florida. Relations are bad with France. We are neutral with Mexico, Great Britain, Prussia, Austria, and the Netherlands. We have a trade deal with China. 

Economy: The economy is still recovering from an economic panic--the Panic of 1842--caused by land speculation. The recession was sharp in 1842, and bounced back after less than a year, but it still hasn't recovered 100%.

Budget: Our budget is increasing because of major production, a very high tariff, and increased taxes. Our debt is expected to be paid off by 1855. 

Social Harmony: The country is divided between Slave States and Free States, the admission of Florida as a temporary Free State that is to be decided by the legislature, has created a violent immigration fight for the fate of Florida. Abolitionists are taking boat loads of Northerners to Florida to gain residency. Likewise, Southerners are flooding South by foot and boat to defend slavery. Violent outbreaks are becoming more common. There is fear that the Seminoles might get involved. 

Mood of the people: The slavery issue is disrupting the mood of the people,as is fear of war. However, expansionists are eager to expand. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: President Henry is wildly popular by his own party, but his acquisition of Florida has alienated the Deep South, New England, some in the Mid-West and Upper South. The West is supportive. 

Party Power: The Liberal and Conservative Coalitions have given way to a tripartite party system--Federalists, American Progress, and Republican. The Tories are reluctantly making efforts to reintegrate with the Federalists, which the Nullifiers have done with the Republicans, bolstering that dying party. The American Progress Party has chosen the middle way. Currently, no party has a majority; although, Federalists have a plurality. 

Will President Henry run for another term? @Kingthero Will the Federalists or Republicans field strong candidates? @WVProgressive  @Reagan04 @Conservative Elector 2 @CalebsParadox @Rodja

Henry runs for re-election.

58 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

Henry runs for re-election.

Platform?

I will wait on @Reagan04

All my Republican candidates are still favouring a unity between the Republicans and Progressives again. Otherwise I we could end on the losing saide...

OOC: By the way @Kingthero will you continue to use Carlyle as your VP? I could make a new one if not, however, I do not foresee any reason to drop Carlyle during your reelection bid. He did a great job hahah

15 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Platform?

Same based on legislative record.

However, additions include turning focus towards the west as Florida has finally been dealt with.

Also, we need to expand internal improvements into Florida to match the rest of the States.

2 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I will wait on @Reagan04

All my Republican candidates are still favouring a unity between the Republicans and Progressives again. Otherwise I we could end on the losing saide...

OOC: By the way @Kingthero will you continue to use Carlyle as your VP? I could make a new one if not, however, I do not foresee any reason to drop Carlyle during your reelection bid. He did a great job hahah

Carlyle will be used as the VP again.

We need a Federalist candidate. 

Name:Francis Maverick

Party:Federalist

Coalition:Liberal 

Profession:Senator from Vermont

Platform:

Military:Increase troop numbers to 90.000.Leave navy as it is.

Foreign Affairs:Britain and Spain are our most important partners in Europe.Cold but open relation with France.

Economy:Increase taxes to boost recovery.

Trade:Lower tarriff for Spain and Britain.Keep it for others

Slavery:Slavery is unhumane!Move towards complete abolishment!

Party Power:Push Tories to unite with us.Elijah Morris will be my running mate.

I'll give @Reagan04 about 8 hours to respond; although, he may have more, since I don't know when I'll have time to type up the election today 

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

I'll give @Reagan04 about 8 hours to respond; although, he may have more, since I don't know when I'll have time to type up the election today 

If @Reagan04 decides to field a candidate, Richardson might serve as his VP candidate. If not, I will not mount a challenge against President Henry this time.

Abolitionist newspaper owner Andrew Woodbury announces Senatorial campaign

Mr. Woodbury, the wealthy owner of the popular abolitionist newspaper The Verge has formerly announced his candidacy as a Federalist in New Hampshire for the upcoming election. Woodbury is a relative newcomer to Federalist politics, but he has long been active in Tory circles and donated heavily to the Morris campaign in the years before, as well as supported the Federalist bid for Senator Francis Maverick. 

Woodbury, a New Hampshire native, is one of the leading voices for abolition in the nation, and his newspaper has come under heavy fire from Southern and Western politicians due to it's unabashed bashing of slavery, which is often described as "inhumane" and "ungodly". Outside of his opposition to slavery, very little is known about Woodbury's political platform at this point in time. Some suggest that he is a radical as most Tories, and only uses the Federalist name for political expediency. 

@Conservative Elector 2 Since we don't know where @Reagan04 is, would you like to make a Republican candidate? I recommend that you do, only because some of the South may recreate a Southern 3rd Party (probably named something other than Nullifier) in defiance to the Florida Treaty

Why would they create a third party when their interests were obviously thought of in a treaty... could have easily made the free state permanent as the deal intended.

58 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

Why would they create a third party when their interests were obviously thought of in a treaty... could have easily made the free state permanent as the deal intended.

OCC: Allowing it in as a Free State sets the precedence of it being free. You now open it to the new legislature which will be selected by the Americans that will be moving there prior to the vote. Basically, you created Bleeding Kansas. As you can see in the State of the Union---abolitionists are boating in Free State people and Pro-Slavery people are migrating in their by force. Occasional violence has occurred, which is likely to escalate. You are correct in that their interests were thought of, but you are presiding during a time of very black and white thinking. The middle ground appeals to few during this time. 

@Kingthero Let me amend that. "your character" created this, as it wasn't you that did. Sorry to tie you personally into it. 

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

@Kingthero Let me amend that. "your character" created this, as it wasn't you that did. Sorry to tie you personally into it. 

Fair enough. I did see the possibility of a form of bleeding Kansas, but roleplay wise it takes the focus off of other more divisive matters and puts it in a situation where I can put blame on others and not on my own acts.

I'm always curious to see how the dice roll.

On 6/8/2018 at 3:39 PM, vcczar said:

So sorry! I've been driving all day today and yesterday.

Sen. Jackson Williams (R-GA) announces his candidacy for President

Military and Expansion: We must increase our Navy to 30 ships and build a 100,000 men army. I am a respected Army Colonel and I have the prowess to lead a nation that is ready to expand!

Foreign Affairs: The Williams policy is to generally let Europe alone beside Trading partners. Now that we have acquired Florida, we must focus on putting America first.

Economy: I believe that to best spur economic growth after this Administration's recession is to cut taxes quite a bit and tariffs slightly to balance out economic growth. The debt is important and this will play a factor in the size of any possible cuts.

Trade: We must allow the South to trade its cotton with Europe for affordable prices while allowing our industrial might to expand. This means a small cut in the tariff until the debt is paid off when the cut will be much larger.

Slavery: I am a staunch supporter of slavery personally and do believe Florida has the right to be a slave state. I will push for further southern expansion but also Northern expansion and allow these new territories to choose their own policy on slavery.

8 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

So sorry! I've been driving all day today and yesterday.

Sen. Jackson Williams (R-GA) announces his candidacy for President

Military and Expansion: We must increase our Navy to 30 ships and build a 100,000 men army. I am a respected Army Colonel and I have the prowess to lead a nation that is ready to expand!

Foreign Affairs: The Williams policy is to generally let Europe alone beside Trading partners. Now that we have acquired Florida, we must focus on putting America first.

Economy: I believe that to best spur economic growth after this Administration's recession is to cut taxes quite a bit and tariffs slightly to balance out economic growth. The debt is important and this will play a factor in the size of any possible cuts.

Trade: We must allow the South to trade its cotton with Europe for affordable prices while allowing our industrial might to expand. This means a small cut in the tariff until the debt is paid off when the cut will be much larger.

Slavery: I am a staunch supporter of slavery personally and do believe Florida has the right to be a slave state. I will push for further southern expansion but also Northern expansion and allow these new territories to choose their own policy on slavery.

OOC: Driving? I thought you were under 16 in RL. :S

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

OOC: Driving? I thought you were under 16 in RL. :S

In some states you can drive as early as 14, if a parent is physically disabled or elderly.