270soft Forum
vcczar

New Historical President RP

7 hours ago, vcczar said:

1) Election Reform. Congress has worked on a new amendment, creating a two round system. The two best performing parties will continue to the second round if no single party scores over 50% of the electoral votes in the first round. Do you support this initiative? 

2) Settlers, feeling the need to expand, are illegally trying to build their homes into the Indian Territory, that we recently set aside. Frequent attacks by settlers and Indians have occurred over the past few months. How do you respond to this?

3) A new religious group called the Mormons are enraging devoutly religious citizens wherever they spring up. The Missouri governor has signed an Extermination Order to rid the state of Mormons. How do you respond to this crisis? 

The Mormons had very clearly intended to engage in dishonest acts against slaveholders in the South, and attempted to convert slaves and may have intended to incite slave revolts as a result of their meddling. Their polygamous ways cannot be normalized, and Joseph Smith is creating one of America's largest cults that is cursing the name of goodnatured and pure Christianity. Good riddance.

4) Napoleon dies; his son, Napoleon II, is now Emperor. The Emperor is sickly and a seeker of peace. His mother, Louisa, is practically the regent. She is uninterested in maintaining a World Empire, as it is becoming increasingly impossible to manage. The rest of Europe, led by a British, Prussian, Austrian alliance is considering war, if France does not reduce its size. Should we also put pressure on France? 

We will put pressure on France in conjunction with fellow European powers. Make it clear to Louisa that we have our claims deadset on French North America, and that we intend to take back Louisiana by force if necessary in the resulting war, alongside Florida and Texas. Stress that we are willing to negotiate for the purchase of the three states, and that by doing so we will back down from what could potentially be a very devastating conquest of more of French North America. 

If Louisa does not back down or offer us a good deal on the land, we will suggest a military alliance with the British, Prussians, and Austrians and send envoys at the utmost haste, wishing to be actively involved in the war if our demands are not met. 

5) Economic takes a hit as Napoleon's death leads to all sorts of financial speculation that backfires. Farmers and self-employed workers are mostly fine; however, wage workers in factories and other industrial fields are losing their jobs. Unemployment is at 10% for the first time. While the problem is with the economy, the unemployed are blaming immigrants, especially the few remaining French immigrants, who have been periodically attacked. 

The Gates administration will not publicly push for any anti-immigration laws. However, if a bill brought to my desk with high Congressional approval it will have my signature. 

6) A French Slave ship, the Le Chat Noir, was illegally shipping African slaves from Africa to Cuba, even though the International Slave Trade had been banned by the entire Western World, including France. The slaves revolted, killed the captain, took over the ship, and took it into American waters, where our navy took it to NYC. The French are demanding that the ship and the slaves be returned to France. The Africans, refusing to be slaves, oppose being handed over to the French. The abolitionists call for the Africans to either be permitted to stay in the US or returned to Africa. The anti-abolitionists calls for the slaves to be returned to France. The people seek your opinion in this matter. 

The former slaves aboard Le Chat Noir will be harbored and treated as refugees from the French Empire. The International Slave Trade is banned, and the acts the former captains of the ship were engaging in were highly illegal and would have resulted in high prison sentences if caught. The status of the slaves on board is void, and we refuse to treat them as such. They will be welcomed into America as refugees of a foreign war, and citizenship will be made a possibility through the normal channels. 

The Office of Governor Hollingsworth has announced he has died at the age of 67 in his home in Charlotte, North Carolina

8 hours ago, vcczar said:

OCC: @Conservative Elector 2 Do you know how to make a personal wikipage, unattached from Wikipedia? If we can figure out how to do this, I can start typing out information to fill out a wiki website based off this RP. With candidate history's analysis, elections write ups, issues, etc. I could handle the text, if you candle the creation and the images. 

8 hours ago, Kingthero said:

@vcczar I used a site called Wikidot, and while I paid for it I did so stupidly, as I never used any of the storage I bought a subscription for.

Here was my big project for that 1988 rp back in the day.

http://270ca.wikidot.com/

I believe there is a way I can give you access to the base page to create your own part if you are interested.

Well I used the most common method. Creating a wikipedia account and designed a subpage which is called [insert username]:270softRolePlay/Presidents. Those user pages are not accessible if you do not know that they are existing. They are basically a sandbox area to develop skills in editing and/or make notes or to play such games. So I do not know if that fulfills your unattached criteria, but if it does I am glad to create a new page so you can edit it.

Hm I did not know about wikidot, perhaps I could this as well. We will see, but I would rather stick to Wikipedia itself.  

8 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

we intend to take back Louisiana by force if necessary in the resulting war, alongside Florida and Texas.

One of your advisers states that while Napoleon isn't Emperor anymore, his army still exists. The French out number our troops. Europe is more interested in Europe than the Western Hemisphere and are unlikely to help out too much. On top of this, the people are weary of a war. If anything, it's better to offer something to France. Do you still wish to offer a threat?

The former slaves aboard Le Chat Noir will be harbored and treated as refugees from the French Empire. The International Slave Trade is banned, and the acts the former captains of the ship were engaging in were highly illegal and would have resulted in high prison sentences if caught. The status of the slaves on board is void, and we refuse to treat them as such. They will be welcomed into America as refugees of a foreign war, and citizenship will be made a possibility through the normal channels. 

In which state will they be placed?

16 hours ago, vcczar said:

1) Election Reform. Congress has worked on a new amendment, creating a two round system. The two best performing parties will continue to the second round if no single party scores over 50% of the electoral votes in the first round. Do you support this initiative? 

16 hours ago, vcczar said:

2) Settlers, feeling the need to expand, are illegally trying to build their homes into the Indian Territory, that we recently set aside. Frequent attacks by settlers and Indians have occurred over the past few months. How do you respond to this?

You didn't answer these two questions. 

3 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Well I used the most common method. Creating a wikipedia account and designed a subpage which is called [insert username]:270softRolePlay/Presidents. Those user pages are not accessible if you do not know that they are existing. They are basically a sandbox area to develop skills in editing and/or make notes or to play such games. So I do not know if that fulfills your unattached criteria, but if it does I am glad to create a new page so you can edit it.

Hm I did not know about wikidot, perhaps I could this as well. We will see, but I would rather stick to Wikipedia itself.  

With something like Wikidot, we'd be able to create links to candidate pages. I think the wikipedia page just links to wikipedia entries. No worries, I'd rather have wikipedia than nothing at all. I just think using another website would allow us more flexibility. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

With something like Wikidot, we'd be able to create links to candidate pages. I think the wikipedia page just links to wikipedia entries. No worries, I'd rather have wikipedia than nothing at all. I just think using another website would allow us more flexibility. 

Oh you can create other subpages as well. For example you create a page for President Bunt (e.g. User:Jefferson Bunt) and if you mention VP Lewis within the article, you can create a page User:Samuel Lewis and link it there. I will set an example and put it up here as well.

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:270RolePlay/Jefferson_Bunt Did a small example to show that it is possible.

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

Oh okay. That will work then. Excellent!

It would be really cool to figure out how to flesh out this lore with that kind of thing and I has suggested earlier even the people who had not made it to the Oval. Maybe election articles, something to give our universe a chronicle.

I am willing to put everything (texts, information and co) I get into a working website universe. It would help if all things that need a link were already put into brackets and pages which are requested to be created could look like [[User:270RolePlay/William M. Aldridge|William M. Aldridge]] at first we will get red link, but later we can create every page. Until June 27th I am at university, so I will do it concurrently but as soon the current semester ends I can fully focus on that.

Problem solved. Put in the map as well. Note that this is veeeery early version of the 1804 election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:270RolePlay/United_States_presidential_election,_1804

Another interesting link

All created subpages https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/User:270RolePlay/

52 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

@Conservative Elector 2 possibly include forum usernames somewhere in the candidate page

Can do that of course. Perhaps at the end after the texts

On 6/4/2018 at 2:11 PM, vcczar said:

This initiative is what I campaigned on, and I throw my support behind it one hundred percent. 

On 6/4/2018 at 2:11 PM, vcczar said:

The settlement into the Indian territory will not be hindered by the federal government. It is our God given right to expand into North America, and pushing Westward is a necessity. 

2 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Problem solved. Put in the map as well. Note that this is veeeery early version of the 1804 election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:270RolePlay/United_States_presidential_election,_1804

Another interesting link

All created subpages https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/User:270RolePlay/

Excellent work!

9 hours ago, vcczar said:

One of your advisers states that while Napoleon isn't Emperor anymore, his army still exists. The French out number our troops. Europe is more interested in Europe than the Western Hemisphere and are unlikely to help out too much. On top of this, the people are weary of a war. If anything, it's better to offer something to France. Do you still wish to offer a threat?

You didn't respond to this. 

38 minutes ago, vcczar said:

We will not issue the threat, but still offer to purchase the lands.

39 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

We will not issue the threat, but still offer to purchase the lands.

Towards the end of your second term. Napoleon II (actually, really his mother) issues a proclamation granting independence to the various sections of South America and Central America. Mexico (including Texas, California, New Mexico, Arizona) are granted Independence. Spain is granted independence (including Cuba, and Florida). In Europe, German lands are returned to Prussia. Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium are granted independence. All of this is for a guaranteed 10-year-promise of peace with the European powers. Quebec is returned to Great Britain in exchange for a 10 year promise of peace. The French people were growing weary of the bellicose nature of Napoleon, and the upkeep of the Empire was destined to destroy the Empire. Beneficial trade deals are in place for France in exchange for independence. France continues hold these new nations under their influence. France retains controls of islands in the West Indies (minus Cuba and Puerto Rico, and the Bahamas), it also retains Louisiana, as the population is 80% French and the port of New Orleans is highly lucrative and militarily strategic. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Towards the end of your second term. Napoleon II (actually, really his mother) issues a proclamation granting independence to the various sections of South America and Central America. Mexico (including Texas, California, New Mexico, Arizona) are granted Independence. Spain is granted independence (including Cuba, and Florida). In Europe, German lands are returned to Prussia. Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium are granted independence. All of this is for a guaranteed 10-year-promise of peace with the European powers. Quebec is returned to Great Britain in exchange for a 10 year promise of peace. The French people were growing weary of the bellicose nature of Napoleon, and the upkeep of the Empire was destined to destroy the Empire. Beneficial trade deals are in place for France in exchange for independence. France continues hold these new nations under their influence. France retains controls of islands in the West Indies (minus Cuba and Puerto Rico, and the Bahamas), it also retains Louisiana, as the population is 80% French and the port of New Orleans is highly lucrative and militarily strategic. 

We would like to make inquiries about the newly independent nations that were formerly part of the French colonial empire. 

Specifically, what is the estimated military size of Spanish North America, and can the French be expected to intervene in a military conflict with the Spanish? 

We would also like to make inquiries into purchasing any of the newly freed territory, including the Caribbean possessions. 

13 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

We would like to make inquiries about the newly independent nations that were formerly part of the French colonial empire. 

Specifically, what is the estimated military size of Spanish North America, and can the French be expected to intervene in a military conflict with the Spanish? 

We would also like to make inquiries into purchasing any of the newly freed territory, including the Caribbean possessions. 

You have sent your newly created diplomats to newly independent Spain, Mexico, British Canada, and to the various nations of Central and South America. One of your advisers has a clever ploy to acquire Spanish territory, but this will have to wait until after the coming election. Additionally, your diplomats will have military estimates following the next election. 

State of the Union for Election Day 1840

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: We are nearly a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We currently rank behind France (beginning to sink), Great Britain (rising), and Prussia (distant third) in industrial might, landing us in 4th place. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 24 warships. We unsure if we are no the largest army in the Western Hemisphere.

Foreign Affairs: France has dispensed with most of it's Western Hemisphere possessions, allowing independence. Florida and Cuba are Spanish territories. Mexico is free, and includes TX, NM, AZ, NV, CA. Quebec has been returned to Great Britain. We have sent diplomats to all the new and independent nations in hour hemisphere to gauge the military strength of these nations, and whether or not we can acquire more territory. 

Military: We currently have our forces guarding the frontier.

Economy: The economy took a hit when the French empire overseas collapsed. Trade and stocks fells. Unemployment rose. However, in the last year, the economy has started to resurge, but speculation has increased worryingly high. The new National Bank is stabilizing our economy for now. 

Trade: The tariff is high and protective, but with some adjustments for the British and non-French powers. Trade with Europe is more or less balanced among the Great Powers, but only 10% goes to the French. 

Budget: Our budget is increasing because of major production, a very high tariff, and increased taxes. Our debt is expected to be paid off by 1855. 

Social Harmony: The country is dividing. The North is rapidly becoming pro-tariff, pro-modernization, pro-bank, pro-British, anti-slavery. The South is rapidly becoming anti-tariff, anti-modernization, anti-bank, anti-internationalism, and pro-slavery. 

Immigration: Immigrants from now Mexican Texas are flooding into our country, mostly former American citizens. 

Mood of the people: The people are happy with electoral reforms. The people in the cities fear another war; while the expansionists in the South and West are favoring one. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: The people have a mixed reaction to Gates. He is popular over election reform, but the economy has generally been subpar (outside his control, but the people never make that connection). People are split over a potential war as well. His popularity is strongest in the West, and lowest in the South, but taking a hit in part of the Mid-Atlantic and all of New England, where a fear of war is greatest. As with any two term president, there is some Gates fatigue. Overall, Gates has seemed to move beyond the traditional bounds of the Federalist Party. 

Party Power: As there are five political parties, there is no majority for any party. The parties more often align with coalitions, the Liberal Coalition and Conservative Coalition. Generally, the liberals are the Federalists and Tories, and the Republicans, American Progress, and Nullifiers are the Conservative Wing. However, the American Progress are usually the swing voters. Socially, however, Tories and Nullifiers are both conservative, except on the issue of slavery. 

Please quote this and fill out the following (after reading this State of the Union) if you have have a character to run for president. We need at least one Federalist and one American Progress Party. Republicans, Tories, and Nullifiers are optional. 

Name and title:

State:

Party:

Coalition (Liberal or Conservative): 

Platform (the major issue is Expansionism in the post-Napoleon Western hemisphere. Other issues are Slavery,  National Debt, The Bank, relations with Europe)

Create a VP candidate for another party (Title, Name, State, Party--no need for him to speak)

Name and title: Former President Godfrey Henry

State: Tennessee

Party: American Progress

Coalition (Liberal or Conservative): Unaffiliated 

Platform: Aside from his usual platform and record, Henry plans on;

1. Using a resurging economy to pay for potential grabs in Florida, Louisiana, and Texas.

2. Using our military to secure borders from all the new unknown threats.

3. Supporting the South's right to slavery, but harsh towards abuses.

4. Forming greater relations with Britain and Prussia, especially Prussia.

5. Using money no longer in use by completed internal improvements to further pay off the debt. 

6. Keeping the bank, but making it more friendly towards southern interests and to avoid speculation.

Create a VP candidate for another party: Delaware State Senator Theodore Higgins for the Tories.

@vcczar forgot to quote, whoops.

President Gates declines to seek a third term

Our forefathers came to this country to escape the tyranny of the king, and to establish a government where not one individual held complete control over the government for many, many years. It is time that a new face bringing new ideas steps up to the Presidency, and that he may lead us through these war stingy times. I have no official endorsement for the Presidency, but I will be campaigning with whomever the Federalist nominee may be. 

(OOC: Due to some real life stuff I will be unable to post lengthy replies for a few more days, otherwise I might have ran another candidate as well)

Name:Francis Maverick

Party:Federalist

Title:Senator from Vermont

Coalition:Liberal

Platform:

Expansionism:We have every single ambition to expand our borders but should move carefully to realize it so we dont end up in unnecessary wars!

Slavery:Move towards definite abolishment of slavery!

National Debt:Pay off our debt as soon as possible!Raise taxes in order to accomplish that!

The Bank:Create modern and effective banking system with a fair share of goverments investment.

Europe:Promote very close ties with Britian,lower tarrifs for British products.

10 minutes ago, Rodja said:

Name:Francis Maverick

Party:Federalist

Title:Senator from Georgia

Coalition:Liberal

Platform:

Expansionism:We have every single ambition to expand our borders but should move carefully to realize it so we dont end up in unnecessary wars!

Slavery:Move towards definite abolishment of slavery!

National Debt:Pay off our debt as soon as possible!Raise taxes in order to accomplish that!

The Bank:Create modern and effective banking system with a fair share of goverments investment.

Europe:Promote very close ties with Britian,lower tarrifs for British products.

OCC: You really need to choose another state. You can't be a Senator of Georgia in 1840 that is Federalist or an abolitionist. I suggest anywhere in New England for an abolitionist Senator. One couldn't be an abolitionist Senator and get elected outside of New England. Please pick another state or another office. You can be some other profession and Georgia and have those traits, but you would probably not get much business. While this is an alternate history, it tries to cling somewhat to the reality of the times.