270soft Forum
vcczar

New Historical President RP

26 minutes ago, vcczar said:
State of the Union for Election of 1836

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: We are nearly a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We currently rank behind France (by far the greatest), Great Britain, and Prussia (distant third) in industrial might, landing us in 4th place. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 24 warships, which gives us the second largest military behind France in the Western Hemisphere

Foreign Affairs: France still surrounds our borders with land in Quebec, Florida, Cuba, Mexico, and Louisiana. Our relations with France are not good. We are friendly with other powers, but we have not yet secured any sort of alliance. Napoleon is near death. The whole world could shake when this occurs. 

Military: We currently have our forces guarding the frontier.

Economy: The economy sunk briefly during the fear of war, but then it boomed. The new National Bank will aid the country. 

Trade: The tariff is high and protective, but with some adjustments for the British and non-French powers. Trade with the French is at 10%. The British now make up 50% of our trade with 40% coming elsewhere in Europe. 

Budget: Our budget is increasing because of major production, a very high tariff, and increased taxes. Our debt is expected to be paid off by 1855. 

Social Harmony: The country is dividing. The North is rapidly becoming pro-tariff, pro-modernization, pro-bank, pro-British, anti-slavery. The South is rapidly becoming anti-tariff, anti-modernization, anti-bank, anti-internationalism, and pro-slavery. 

Immigration: We are currently seeing no change in immigration or emigration. We have some leaving our country for French Texas, but we have an equal number of Germans and English immigrants coming in. 

Mood of the people: The people are greatly upset with the electoral system in the country. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Gates's presidency is viewed more favorably than not. He is most popular in the Mid-Atlantic. Expansionists are upset that he didn't do more to keep Louisiana in the country or to acquire Florida. 

Party Power: As there are five political parties, there is no majority for any party. The Liberal Coalition has been balanced out by a new Conservative Coalition. 

The Political Parties are more or less informal. The new power is the coalition. The is the Liberal Coalition and Conservative Coalition. The Liberals are pro-spending, pro-infrastructure, anti-slavery, pro-election reform, pro-internationalism. The Conservative Coalition is pro-states rights, pro-slavery, anti-election reform, anti-internationalism, anti-infrastructure. However, there is some overlap with some politicians. Will President Gates run for reelection? 

Fill out the following if you plan to run for president, quoting this entire post as well:

Name and title:

State:

Political Party:

Coalition: 

Platform (read State of the Union--major issues are Expansionism, Florida, Louisiana, Post-Napoleonic France, Election Reform, National Debt, Banking, and Slavery):

Any Statement you wish to make on your candidacy: 

Name and title: Elijah T. Morris, Reverend and owner of "The Emancipator" an abolitionist newspaper

State: Massachusetts 

Political Party: Tory

Coalition: Liberal 

Platform:

Expansionism: We should expand through purchase, and expand west only, as any other growth would support imperialism and the slave power.

National Debt: Consider implementing new forms of taxation to quicken debt payment but not at the cost of bettering the country.

Banking: The National Bank is great and will help lead to wonderful economic growth, and I will offer my full support  to its continuation.  

Slavery: We must abolish this institution of evil before all else and afterwards we will push for equal rights of all citizens. 

Florida: Florida will only become a slave state if we allow it in, I will never let this state join America.

Election Reform: We need electoral reform, switch to a proprietorial way of selecting electors.

Post-Napoleonic France: France is for the French, look at home before trying to meddle in other countries affairs.

Louisiana: Good riddance I say! Louisiana supported the abhorrent institution of owning another man, I'm glad they're gone.

America was founded on the principle of freedom, but today millions of people, living, breathing, loving, humans like me and you live in bondage. How can we accept this? The answer is that we can not, it is a stain on the very cloth of America. That is why I am running for president. For too long men, women, and children in America have been forced to suffer in the service of downright, disgusting people, for too long women have been raped forced to bear children of the same men who enslaved them, for too long children have been maimed and mutilated simply because they had a darker complexion than you or me. End this affront humanity, to nature, and to the lord himself, vote for the man who will fight day and night against the slave power. I may not win but we'll show the slave power that they can't allow this sin to exist in our borders any longer.   

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

National Strength: We are nearly a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We currently rank behind France (by far the greatest), Great Britain, and Prussia (distant third) in industrial might, landing us in 4th place. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 24 warships, which gives us the second largest military behind France in the Western Hemisphere

Foreign Affairs: France still surrounds our borders with land in Quebec, Florida, Cuba, Mexico, and Louisiana. Our relations with France are not good. We are friendly with other powers, but we have not yet secured any sort of alliance. Napoleon is near death. The whole world could shake when this occurs. 

Economy: The economy sunk briefly during the fear of war, but then it boomed. The new National Bank will aid the country. 

Trade: The tariff is high and protective, but with some adjustments for the British and non-French powers. Trade with the French is at 10%. The British now make up 50% of our trade with 40% coming elsewhere in Europe. 

Budget: Our budget is increasing because of major production, a very high tariff, and increased taxes. Our debt is expected to be paid off by 1855. 

Social Harmony: The country is dividing. The North is rapidly becoming pro-tariff, pro-modernization, pro-bank, pro-British, anti-slavery. The South is rapidly becoming anti-tariff, anti-modernization, anti-bank, anti-internationalism, and pro-slavery. 

Immigration: We are currently seeing no change in immigration or emigration. We have some leaving our country for French Texas, but we have an equal number of Germans and English immigrants coming in. 

Mood of the people: The people are greatly upset with the electoral system in the country. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Gates's presidency is viewed more favorably than not. He is most popular in the Mid-Atlantic. Expansionists are upset that he didn't do more to keep Louisiana in the country or to acquire Florida. 

Party Power: As there are five political parties, there is no majority for any party. The Liberal Coalition has been balanced out by a new Conservative Coalition. 

The Political Parties are more or less informal. The new power is the coalition. The is the Liberal Coalition and Conservative Coalition. The Liberals are pro-spending, pro-infrastructure, anti-slavery, pro-election reform, pro-internationalism. The Conservative Coalition is pro-states rights, pro-slavery, anti-election reform, anti-internationalism, anti-infrastructure. However, there is some overlap with some politicians. Will President Gates run for reelection? 

Fill out the following if you plan to run for president, quoting this entire post as well:

Name and title:

State:

Political Party:

Coalition: 

Platform (read State of the Union--major issues are Expansionism, Florida, Louisiana, Post-Napoleonic France, Election Reform, National Debt, Banking, and Slavery):

Former President Godfrey Henry

Tennessee

American Progress

Unaffiliated

(I am on mobile, so I am brief.) Same platform as before..

My Party still represents the values of every single American, and I will be working hard as President to continue the growth I created as President.

K, I think @Reagan04 was hoping to make a Nullification candidate. It would also be helpful if someone can make a VP for the Republican, American Progress, and Federalist Parties. You can't make a VP for a party for which you've already made a presidential candidate. 

37 minutes ago, vcczar said:

You can't make a VP for a party for which you've already made a presidential candidate. 

What about other parties?

6 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

What about other parties?

That's what I'm saying. You can make VP candidates for other parties

Former governor now senator of Virginia William F. Tyler offers himself as a potential republican VP candidate

31 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Former governor now senator of Virginia William F. Tyler offers himself as a potential republican VP candidate

BIgelow is already from Virginia, so that ticket won't work. 

17 minutes ago, vcczar said:

BIgelow is already from Virginia, so that ticket won't work. 

OOC: Right. How about this

Former governor now senator of Virginia William F. Tyler offers himself as a VP option for the American Progress Party.

20 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

OOC: Right. How about this

Former governor now senator of Virginia William F. Tyler offers himself as a VP option for the American Progress Party.

That works. 

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

Name and title:

State:

Political Party:

Coalition: 

Vice President Dallsworth (I-NJ) offers to join the ticket of Fmr. President Henry after accusing Gates of "ignoring his input" and wishes to see a return to Centrist governance of this nation. Opts to stay Independent if possible but is not turned off by the idea of joining the APP.

(In other news)

Gov. Hollingsworth announces his leave from the Republican Party and joining of the Nullifier Party to run as their nominee.

Name and title: Gov. Robert F. Hollingsworth (N-NC)

State: North Carolina

Political Party: Republican (1792-1836)

Nullifier (1836-)

Coalition: Conservative

Expansionism- Being America's Top Ranking Admiral, Hollingsworth is incredibly Bellicose. He believes it is our Manifest Destiny to expand and we should spread our great Christian Civilization across the nation.

Florida- It has been far too long in the waiting that we acquire Florida. I plan on taking Supreme interest in speaking with Post-Napoleonic France to assert our power as the dominant power in this hemisphere.

Louisiana- I am livid that they would leave our great nation, we will not stand for such treason! 

Post-Napoleonic France: We must take great advantage of French weakness when Napoleon dies and our land awaits!

Election Reform- Our current system of Coalitions and Parties works, I do not see a problem, I support the electoral college.

National Debt- This is tremendously important and I support cutting down spending but we do have to maintain a strong military presence while cutting down Tariffs.

Banking- THE BANK MUST DIE! This is Federal tyranny at its worst

Slavery- I am a Fire-eater, Slavery must be expanded to preserve the Southern way of life and our American values. It is crucial that we take strong conservative stances on this and Indian Removal.

(In other news)

Fmr. President Aldridge emphatically endorses his Fmr. VP for President

Herman is exactly the man we need to push us forward. I could not be prouder to see him atop the Republican ballot and in the White House. He is by far the most qualified after all those years spent with the two of us in there making the tough decisions. I have the utmost faith in him.

28 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Vice President Dallsworth (I-NJ) offers to join the ticket of Fmr. President Henry after accusing Gates of "ignoring his input" and wishes to see a return to Centrist governance of this nation. Opts to stay Independent if possible but is not turned off by the idea of joining the APP.

(In other news)

Gov. Hollingsworth announces his leave from the Republican Party and joining of the Nullifier Party to run as their nominee.

Name and title: Gov. Robert F. Hollingsworth (N-NC)

State: North Carolina

Political Party: Republican (1792-1836)

Nullifier (1836-)

Coalition: Conservative

Expansionism- Being America's Top Ranking Admiral, Hollingsworth is incredibly Bellicose. He believes it is our Manifest Destiny to expand and we should spread our great Christian Civilization across the nation.

Florida- It has been far too long in the waiting that we acquire Florida. I plan on taking Supreme interest in speaking with Post-Napoleonic France to assert our power as the dominant power in this hemisphere.

Louisiana- I am livid that they would leave our great nation, we will not stand for such treason! 

Post-Napoleonic France: We must take great advantage of French weakness when Napoleon dies and our land awaits!

Election Reform- Our current system of Coalitions and Parties works, I do not see a problem, I support the electoral college.

National Debt- This is tremendously important and I support cutting down spending but we do have to maintain a strong military presence while cutting down Tariffs.

Banking- THE BANK MUST DIE! This is Federal tyranny at its worst

Slavery- I am a Fire-eater, Slavery must be expanded to preserve the Southern way of life and our American values. It is crucial that we take strong conservative stances on this and Indian Removal.

(In other news)

Herman is exactly the man we need to push us forward. I could not be prouder to see him atop the Republican ballot and in the White House. He is by far the most qualified after all those years spent with the two of us in there making the tough decisions. I have the utmost faith in him.

Ah, a Fire-eater and a radical abolitionist in the same election, this'll be interesting.

6 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Fmr. VP Bigelow thanks PResident Aldridge for his endorsement!

1836 Election

Five parties run for office once again, with the Nullifiers and Tories most likely running as spoilers. The Federalist Party is the incumbent party, and it is popular enough to make reelection possible. The American Progress Party is probably the leading contender, as it has a former president, and is also a rather middle of the road party. However, the party also runs the risk of not being the most exciting party in any given region. New England and the South are mostly likely going to look elsewhere. The West is likely to be favorable to the American Progress Party. The Republican Party seems like it is in its death throws, but makes one last strong attempt with a respected former VP. The Party has turned increasingly Conservative, alienating any Northern support. Republicans will be strong in the South. Federalists have a slight advantage for being both a competent incumbent and also having their party split on by the Tories; whereas, the American Progress Party, Republicans, Nullifiers all came out of the same party. 

General Election

ME: 10 Fed

NH: 7 Fed

VT: 7 Tories

MA: 14 Fed

RI: 4 Tories

CT: 8 Tories

NY: 42 Fed

NJ: 8 Fed

PA: 30 Pro

DE: 3 Pro

MD: 10 Rep

VA: 23 Rep

NC: 15 Pro

SC: 11 Nullifiers

GA: 11 Rep

AL: 7 Rep

MS: 4 Rep

AR: 3 Pro

TN: 15 Pro

KY: 15 Pro

OH: 21 Fed

IN: 9 Fed

IL: 5 Fed

MO: 4 Pro

MI: 3 Fed

Results: 

Gates/Chase - Federalists: 119 EV 39% PV

Henry/Dallsworth - American Progress: 85 EV 29% PV

Bigelow/Wise - Republicans: 55 EV 17% PV

Morris/Maynard - Tories: 19 EV 10% PV

Hollingsworth/Rives - Nullifiers: 11 EV 5% PV

*Gates cannot secure the needed votes for election. It goes once again to the US House! The people are enraged!*

As per the rules, the top three parties continue to the US House for the electoral decisions with each state getting one vote. 

Federalists: 9 + 3 (NH, RI, CT from the Tories) = 12

Progress: 7 = 7

Republicans: 5+1 (SC from the Republicans) = 6

[Republicans debate pushing their votes to the Progress Party before the official ballot, but South Carolina will have nothing to do with the Progress Party. Republicans urge the Progress Party push their votes to the Republicans; however, Pennsylvania will not budge. Both parties are at an impasse, since either can tie the Federalist with all of the other party's votes. South Carolina has announced that it will not support the Federalists or Progress. With Pennsylvania refusing to join the Republicans, there is talk of their joining the Federalists. The Progress Party is not willing to throw their votes at the Republicans as that would probably permanently kill the party, which had grown out of the Republican Party. Likewise, Republican leaders will not throw their votes to the Progress Party as it all but signifies the death of their party. Voting is called. Federalists win.]

President Gates is reelected! Events/decisions will be sent following responses by Gates @CalebsParadox Henry @Kingthero and Bigelow @Conservative Elector 2

Henry Finally Decides that the Runoff System is Best for the Nation

It is disappointing that these State legislatures have been failing the people continuously as time goes on because of minuscule hatred for minor issues. Obviously, some parties are so stuck up by their own pride that they refuse to make any form of political compromise in order to best represent the people.

Today, I officially endorse the runoff system, where the leading two parties will go to a runoff vote.

Governor Hollingsworth suffers Heart Attack after the re-election of President Gates; is said to be making a recovery

(He dies in 1838, so that will be up soon, just wanted to give a little background)

Vice President Bigelow retires from active politics, wishes the President all the best and returns to Virginia.

Richardson elected Governor of Arkansas.

Fmr. Vice President Dallsworth announces his support of the Runoff Electoral System as well as an Independent bid for the Open Class 1 Senate seat in New Jersey in the 1838 midterm

I will push for moderate governance, and the reform needed to make this nation even better. I have proven that I am an independent voice for New Jersey and I am proud to take that to the U.S. Senate.

Fmr. Gov. Hollingsworth announces his retirement from politics after his Heart attack

Newly-elected Rep. Jackson Williams issues statement

I am sickened by the Federalist administration that we now must live under. I was happy to vote for Gov. Hollingsworth and support his candidacy. It is time for my Southern brothers and sisters to unite in our Conservative goal that the Republican Party cannot deliver.

Legend - 1836.png

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Legend - 1836.png

Thanks! Clear North-South divide if the parties merged into two parties. Once @CalebsParadox gives his victory speech, I will submit the events/decisions, which I have already typed up. 

OOC: Forgive me as I am at work and hence on my phone until 9PM, so I will make this quick in the interest of keeping the RP going at a high speed.

President Gates Victory Speech:

The American people have spoken, and they have chosen another term of economic success and successful internal improvements. Under my administration, we will reform our electoral system and prove ourselves on the international stage. Thank you all, and God Bless America.

State of the Union for Mar 1837

Foreign Affairs: France still surrounds our borders with land in Quebec, Florida, Cuba, Mexico, and Louisiana. Our relations with France are not good. We are friendly with other powers, but we have not yet secured any sort of alliance. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Gates's presidency is viewed more favorably than not. He is respected and considered competent, even by those that do not support his policies. 

Party Power: As there are five political parties, there is no majority for any party. The parties more often align with coalitions, the Liberal Coalition and Conservative Coalition. Generally, the liberals are the Federalists and Tories, and the Republicans, American Progress, and Nullifiers are the Conservative Wing. However, the American Progress are usually the swing voters. Socially, however, Tories and Nullifiers are both conservative, except on the issue of slavery. 

Events and Decisions for March 1837-March 1841 for Gates @CalebsParadox

1) Election Reform. Congress has worked on a new amendment, creating a two round system. The two best performing parties will continue to the second round if no single party scores over 50% of the electoral votes in the first round. Do you support this initiative? 

2) Settlers, feeling the need to expand, are illegally trying to build their homes into the Indian Territory, that we recently set aside. Frequent attacks by settlers and Indians have occurred over the past few months. How do you respond to this?

3) A new religious group called the Mormons are enraging devoutly religious citizens wherever they spring up. The Missouri governor has signed an Extermination Order to rid the state of Mormons. How do you respond to this crisis? 

4) Napoleon dies; his son, Napoleon II, is now Emperor. The Emperor is sickly and a seeker of peace. His mother, Louisa, is practically the regent. She is uninterested in maintaining a World Empire, as it is becoming increasingly impossible to manage. The rest of Europe, led by a British, Prussian, Austrian alliance is considering war, if France does not reduce its size. Should we also put pressure on France? 

5) Economic takes a hit as Napoleon's death leads to all sorts of financial speculation that backfires. Farmers and self-employed workers are mostly fine; however, wage workers in factories and other industrial fields are losing their jobs. Unemployment is at 10% for the first time. While the problem is with the economy, the unemployed are blaming immigrants, especially the few remaining French immigrants, who have been periodically attacked. 

6) A French Slave ship, the Le Chat Noir, was illegally shipping African slaves from Africa to Cuba, even though the International Slave Trade had been banned by the entire Western World, including France. The slaves revolted, killed the captain, took over the ship, and took it into American waters, where our navy took it to NYC. The French are demanding that the ship and the slaves be returned to France. The Africans, refusing to be slaves, oppose being handed over to the French. The abolitionists call for the Africans to either be permitted to stay in the US or returned to Africa. The anti-abolitionists calls for the slaves to be returned to France. The people seek your opinion in this matter. 

OCC: @Conservative Elector 2 Do you know how to make a personal wikipage, unattached from Wikipedia? If we can figure out how to do this, I can start typing out information to fill out a wiki website based off this RP. With candidate history's analysis, elections write ups, issues, etc. I could handle the text, if you candle the creation and the images. 

@vcczar I used a site called Wikidot, and while I paid for it I did so stupidly, as I never used any of the storage I bought a subscription for.

Here was my big project for that 1988 rp back in the day.

http://270ca.wikidot.com/

I believe there is a way I can give you access to the base page to create your own part if you are interested.

7 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

@vcczar I used a site called Wikidot, and while I paid for it I did so stupidly, as I never used any of the storage I bought a subscription for.

Here was my big project for that 1988 rp back in the day.

http://270ca.wikidot.com/

I believe there is a way I can give you access to the base page to create your own part if you are interested.

That's cool. I'll let @Conservative Elector 2 handle that, if he wishes to do so. I have no skill in making a webpage outside of Word Press: https://historymonocle.com/