270soft Forum
vcczar

New Historical President RP

Henry Announces a Second Term as the American Progress Party

My term has been filled with quite a large amount of events. We had the French denying simple deals just to boost their own pride, an electoral reform that threw a blow at the nation, and an acute balancing act to make the nation for every American.

Some asked me to rejoin the Republican Party; however, if I rejoined the party, wouldn't I just be an abnormal party politician? I stand with the Party I created because the American People know exactly they are going to get with my presidency.

I am responsible for my own actions, and if I served as your President for a second term I would be working on making my previous decisions even more refined to best benefit the American People, especially noting that there is no telling to what changes somebody else would make to such delicate policies and strategies.

If my second term hits me hard because of my own decisions, than trust me I will own up to those decisions and, as President, make sure to keep America united and prosperous through any struggle that occurs.

I ask that you, the American People, support my re-election bid, and I hope to see a nation continuing to grow!

Thank you all, and God Bless!

Governor Hollingsworth talks France and the election

Well, you can best be sure that America is gonna stand against those frogs out in France. I wish it could have worked out but our great President stood up for our values and I commend him. We must do what we can to keep this nation and for that reason I offer my services to President Henry and will not be running against him. We must unite against our common enemy around the President.

Freshman Rep. Dallsworth calls for a softened tone against the French to avoid war

25 minutes ago, vcczar said:
State of the Union at Election day 1832 to Mar 1833

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: We are nearly a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We currently rank behind France (by far the greatest), Great Britain, and Prussia (distant third) in industrial might, landing us in 4th place. We have recently surpassed Italy, Austria, and the Scandinavian countries. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 24 warships, which now gives us clearly the largest army in the Western Hemisphere after the French, who have 250,000 troops in the Northern Hemisphere alone. However, they only have 20 warships. We can increase our troops to about 200,000 by calling the militia, as can the French. 

Foreign Affairs: France still surrounds our borders with land in Quebec, Florida, Cuba, Mexico, and with Louisiana potentially breaking off and joining them. Our alliance with France has ended. Our relations are leaning towards the British and other powers. Relations with France are quickly souring. 

Military: We currently have our forces guarding the frontier, and on duty for Indian Removal. 

Economy: Our economy is doing well, but it could dip. However, a war with France would ruin this. As trade with France is declining rapidly, we could head into a recession. While we have more ships than the French here, they could probably blockade our ports at will, once their major fleets come in. We did so well in previous wars because of their help. 

Trade: The tariff is high and protective, but with some adjustments for the British and non-French powers. Trade with the French has dropped from 50% to 10% due to recent events. The British now make up 50% of our trade with 40% coming elsewhere in Europe. 

Budget: Are budget is increasing because of the tariff. 80% of revenue comes from Tariffs, 10% through tax, 10% through other. About 60% of our budget is going to military upkeep. 10% is going to paying off the national debt.  30% is going to government upkeep, including internal improvement. Taxation is moderate. France, as well as Britain, are likely to stop paying off 60% of our debt since our French alliance has ended. 

Social Harmony: We lack harmony. New England, Mid-Atlantic, the West, Deep South, and Upper South all have different concerns, and making every region happy is impossible. Louisiana is likely to leave the Union for France. The rest of the South is upset about the higher tariff, internal improvements, taxation, shift towards the British (they don't want the British or the French), and the recent suffrage vote for all white males. 

Immigration: We have more people leaving our country than entering. The French had flooded into Louisiana for about a decade, which probably influenced its willingness to join France. A probably ploy by Napoleon. The French also sold cheap land and citizenship to American willing to move to French Texas. We currently have some German immigrants moving to cities, but that's about it. 

Mood of the people: The people are wary of Napoleon and France. The people are greatly upset with the electoral system in the country. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: President Henry is viewed very favorably in New England, because of his shift to the British. This region is overlooking other differences; although he can't rely on winning New England against a good Federalist or Tory. The Mid-Atlantic and the West view him favorably over his efforts for Suffrage Reform. The South is currently at odds with the president. Strangely, should Louisiana secede before election day, then Henry's chances might be better in gaining reelection. Some thing that Henry has mismanaged foreign policy, but only time will tell. 

Party Power: The parties, now being four, have so split the party structure that one can better determine dominance through ideology. The Senate, House, and Gubernatorial officers are more inclined to modernization. Thus a Liberal Coalition leads; although, no single party has particular strength. The Tories and Federalists are considering merging since the country is once again leaning towards the British. This would be bad for the Republicans and the American Progress Party if this happens. 

Please read the state of the union and build a platform if you choose to run in the Election of 1832. Will President Henry run for reelection? If so, will it be as the American Progress Party candidate--the party which he founded--, or will he return to the Republican Party--the party of Aldridge? Who will run as the Republican candidate? Or will the not field a candidate, preferring to support the American Progress Party? Who will be the Federalist Party candidate? Could the Federalist Party merge with the Tories or with the American Progress Party? Will the Tories field a candidate? Will they merge with the Federalists? Who will run? @Kingthero @Reagan04 @Conservative Elector 2 @CalebsParadox @FrancisXKennedy You have 24 hours to respond. If you all respond sooner, then I may post the election results sooner. 

Governor William F. Tyler of Virginia runs for president as a Republican

Background:

Tyler was the Presiding Officer of the Virginia Constitutional Convention of 1829/30 and helped draft it's new constitution as a leader of reformist circles (which included Former President Bunt  Jr.) and was then elected it's first trans-mountain governor and the first to be elected by popular vote.

Platform: 

Slavery:  I believe that the voters of a state should vote on whether or not slavery should exist in their state, I approve of efforts to abolish slavery in the Allegheny Valley on economic reasons. I support efforts to recolonize former-slaves back in Africa.  

Foreign Relations: Try to balance relations with both sides, we oppose war on moral reasons due to the sanctity of life and a belief in the right of people to not be forced to die in a brutal conflict not of their choosing. 

Secession:  Secession is illegal and we will take efforts to counter this.

Trade: The more trade the better we should look for every opportunity to increase our exports.

Tariff: We need to maintain the tariff to both increase trade and bolster our industry

Modernization: We need modernization, look for ways to do this cheaply and in a way that pleases as many people as possible.

National Bank: I do not support a National Bank but maybe we can reach a compromise with an Independent Treasury. 

Taxes: Small increase in taxes to deal with the debt and modernization projects.

Former Vice President Bigelow will not run against President Henry although many wanted him to do so! If selected as Vice President once again he would not decline to serve, if this is not offered he will most likely retire from politics or aim to be appointed to the Supreme Court!

Fmr. Pres. Aldridge endorses President Henry 

There comes a time when National Well-being must usurp party affiliation, this is one of those times, while dismayed that President Henry has not come to the Party of the People and the Party that is best for the nation, I must announce my support for the President.

Rep. Dallsworth begins mingling with Party heads of all 4 major parties targeting moderate Federalists and moderate Republicans to possibly field a candidacy for higher office in New Jersey.

@Reagan04 so Aldridge is supporting the American Progress Party over the Republican candidate? That might upset the Republican base. I guess I can say the same for BIgelow @Conservative Elector 2 . Are they switching parties? 

@CalebsParadox and @FrancisXKennedy, we need a Federalists and/or Tory candidate. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Reagan04 so Aldridge is supporting the American Progress Party over the Republican candidate? That might upset the Republican base. I guess I can say the same for BIgelow @Conservative Elector 2 . Are they switching parties? 

@CalebsParadox and @FrancisXKennedy, we need a Federalists and/or Tory candidate. 

OOC: No, Aldridge is not switching parties as he still believes that Henry should join his home party, but that Henry is the right choice for America rather than Tyler who is basically just a vanilla Republican, kinda bleh

18 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

OOC: No, Aldridge is not switching parties as he still believes that Henry should join his home party, but that Henry is the right choice for America rather than Tyler who is basically just a vanilla Republican, kinda bleh

OOC: I can't go with over the top radicalism all the time, unlike you :P.

OOC: No, Bigelow will not change his affilation as well. I also think that Henry should return home, but  although he did not I will not mount a challenge against him, since I believe under the current circumstances it will be best for the country when Henry remains president. 

Ok. I'll wait for a Federalists or Tory (They'd probably merge without the French alliance). Can't progress without a Federalist and/or Tory candidate). 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Ok. I'll wait for a Federalists or Tory (They'd probably merge without the French alliance). Can't progress without a Federalist and/or Tory candidate). 

OOC: If nothing happens we can offer up Dallsworth as an Independent-Federalist opposed to the President's bellicosity. I can make a platform if it comes to that.

44 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

OOC: If nothing happens we can offer up Dallsworth as an Independent-Federalist opposed to the President's bellicosity. I can make a platform if it comes to that.

You can if you wish, but such a platform would keep the Tories in play, since the Tories are very Pro-British and very Anti-French; although, they'd probably want to avoid a war, ideally, since they don't want to be blockaded. 

Rep. Frederick Dallsworth (NJ-2) announces an Independent-Federalist bid for President in Camden, New Jersey

We need a President that knows what he is doing and won't waltz us into the next war! I stand to be that level-headed and calm President for the people. I did vote for the President, but I did not know that his so-called new vision would lead us to war. I am a new voice for the people, I stand firmly against the bellicosity belched out by these belligerent bureaucrats!

• Firmly against war; Neutral in European Affairs- Stay in the middle of France and Britain
  • Invoke an Independent Treasury; a National Bank only if compromise can be met
  • We need to loosen Immigration laws and move this nation forward in societal progress
  • An increase in Taxation and Tariffs is required to move us forward with Internal Improvements

Senator Gates Announces Intention to Run as Federalist Nominee!

The past four years have been disastrous under President Henry. He was elected by a broken system, and alongside his lack of presidential mandate in the eyes of most Americans he has been one of the most destructive Presidents to lead the United States of America yet. 

As President, I will keep us out of war with the French and reopen channels with them. It will not be the vassalage relationship we had under Aldridge, nor will our relationship with the French be constantly threatening war as it is under President Henry. We will not subject ourselves to French dominance, but we stand in a perilous place and must walk a delicate line for now. 

However, despite all of the mishaps of the current administration, President Henry's lack of action towards the American state of Louisiana and the French plot to annex it is almost traitorous. Louisiana has no right to secede from the United States, and any attempt to do so will be treated as a traitorous rebellion, with the National Guard sent in and all prisoners tried as traitors the nation. 

1832 Election

Five parties compete in a rather hectic election! Henry runs for reelection under his American Progress Party. Despite high profile Republicans endorsing Henry, including Aldridge and Bigelow, the Republicans field their own candidate: Tyler. However, Tyler enrages the Deep South delegates by declaring secession illegal in a speech directed at Louisiana. As such, a new party has formed, The Nullifiers, who oppose Henry's modernization and economic policies, while opposing Tyler's stance on secession. The Federalist situation is also mangled. The first Federalist to declare is Dallsworth, a Federalist-in-name-only, who had voted for Henry in the previous election. He called himself an "Independent Federalist." Then came Gates, a moderate Federalist, who is too moderate in foreign policy for New England. As such, the Tories, who were hoping to merge with the Federalists, are fielding their Pro-British candidate. We have five parties. 

1832 Federalist Convention

Gates is the frontrunner as a more rank-and-file Federalist; therefore, the delegates are party to him. Dallsworth does last until the 3rd round (125-90; 140-75; 150-65). The convention, seeing Dallsworth as a strong second, selects Dallsworth as the VP on the Federalist ticket. 

1832 General Election

ME: 10 Tories

NH: 7 Fed

VT: 7 Fed

MA: 14 Fed

RI: 4 Fed

CT: 8 Tories

NY: 42 Pro

NJ: 8 Fed

PA: 30 Rep

DE: 3 Fed

MD: 8 Fed

VA: 23 Rep

NC: 15 Pro

SC: 11 Nullifiers

GA: 11 Pro

AL: 7 Pro

MS: 4 Pro

LA: 5  [Expected to secede, currently working up articles of secession--does not send electors. Many state voters wrote in--"Napoleon" if they voted at all]

TN: 15 Pro

KY: 15 Fed

OH: 21 Pro

IN: 9 Fed

IL: 5 Rep

MO: 4 Rep

General Election Results (144 needed):

Henry/Bigelow (Pro) 115 EVs  25% PV

Gates/Dallsworth (Fed)  75 EVs 40% PV

Tyler/Van Stuyvesant (Rep) 62 EVs 20% PV

Adams/Maynard (Tories) 18 EVs 10% PV

Magee/Rives (Nullifiers)  11 EVs 5% PV

Congress Decides the Election Again!!!!

[Tories and Nullifiers are removed from contention, as per the rules. Congress votes by state.]

Progress: 7 states + SC = 8 states

Federalist: 9 states + ME and CT = 11 states

Republican: 4 states

[However, Republicans make an attempt to shift their states to the Progress Party before the first ballot, seeing that the Federalists would win, otherwise]

First Ballot:

Progress: 8 states + MO + VA + IL = 11 states

Federalist: 11 states 

Republican:  1 state (PA)

[The Republican effort is stymied when the Republican constituents are divided. Federalists in the state are just as powerful as Republicans and Progressives. ]

Second Ballot: 

Progress: 11 states

Federalists: 11 states

Republicans 1 state

[PA still doesn't budge. Illinois considers a shift, which would knock the Progress Party out. However, Progress leaders and Republicans leaders stop the effort. Federalists leaders, meanwhile, meet with PA leaders.]

Third Ballot:

Progress 11 states

Federalist 12 states

Republicans 0 states

[PA shifts to the Federalists after Federalist leaders promise to PA leaders that a war with France would not occur, including any use of military force against Louisiana, as it might trigger a war. Will the Federalist president uphold this bargain?]

Gates is the new President of the United States. President Henry leaves office popular in sections of the country, but with a mixed record. Many fear he has placed the country on the brink of war. However, his legacy is likely to approve, since he was instrumental in gaining suffrage for all white male citizens. A hero among Progress voters. Respected by all Republicans outside the Deep South, and even highly respected by New Englanders, even though they would not vote for him over a Tory or Federalists, who are otherwise more similar to their views, Henry is likely to be a strong candidate in the future if he chooses to run again. 

I'd like to see all the candidates comment on the election before I post the State of the Union with the Event/Decisions @Kingthero @CalebsParadox @Reagan04 @Conservative Elector 2 @WVProgressive

OOC: Of course Bigelow - a man of high integrity - ran on a fusion ticket as a Republican, since he would not switch parties due to the current circumstances. :D 

"Of course all people who are conservative minded like me are sad about the recent election results. We will see how a Federalist President after more than a decade will lead our country. I hope good, but I doubt that Federalist ideals are the right thing right now. What is worrying me is that once again, our country will be ruled by a President who was not elected by a majority. However, a peaceful transition is what is necessary now, and I would like to make a plea to my friends in Louisiana. I urge you not to leave our wonderful union. We are hold together by the beliefs of freedom, liberty and security. We are a respectful nation and I believe that the best times for American unity are not gone. Give our Union a chance, we are your brothers and you are our brothers. The Union will prevail, but alone you might fall. I love Louisiana and if I can do anything to convince you to remain in our Union, I promise to do it. Let's unite again under one God and one law. I trust in you and I hope that you can do us a favor and remain our brothers. Thank you and God bless you."

Bigelow declines all questions if his political career is over now and heads quickly to a tour through Baton Rouge and New Orleans to speak on the cause of unionism.

Legend - 1832.png

On 5/30/2018 at 9:30 PM, Reagan04 said:

Gov. Hollingsworth gives victory speech

While I am dismayed that our great President was denied a final term in office, I have no doubt that our newly minted President Henry will find the fire that our President Aldridge did. I worked with him in his Cabinet, that man has a spirit for public service that I hope we find once more in defense of our Republican values. I thank the people of North Carolina for supporting me as there Governor and I look forward to working with the President for the people of North Carolina!

(New Character)

New Jersey State Sen. Frederick C. Dallsworth announces bid for New Jersey's 2nd Congressional District

Born: February 12th, 1781 Middle Township (Avalon Borough), New Jersey

Died: August 29th, 1856 Newark, New Jersey

Position History: Mayor of Middle Township : March 4th, 1803 - March 4th 1811

Executive of Cape May County: March 4th, 1811 - March 4th, 1819

NJ State Sen. 1st District: March 4th, 1819 - March 4th 1831

Party: Federalist (1803-1829) 

Independent (1829-)

State Sen. Dallsworth is a young politician known all around Southern New Jersey for his work in the community and moderate bi-partisan approaches to issues. He hold local office as a Federalist and was elected as such until he switched to Independent following the brutal Federalist convention (at which he was a delegate for New Jersey) and the election of President Henry, a man for whom he has confessed to voting. He now wishes to take the seat of the retiring Federalist Congressman in his home district as an Independent voice for New Jersey open to working with the President but remaining close to his former party, the Federalists.

OOC: Thanks for that awesome description. Will you take office as Federalist or independent?

@CalebsParadox Do we have some important dates about President Gates as well? I need it for my lists hahah

14 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

OOC: Thanks for that awesome description. Will you take office as Federalist or independent?

@CalebsParadox Do we have some important dates about President Gates as well? I need it for my lists hahah

My pleasure! Independent will work just fine.

That feel when you lose the States you appealed too and won States that were at odds with you.

Henry Concedes Defeat, but Stays in Politics to Promote his Party

It is a grave day for my administration knowing that I have lost the election; but do not fret, I will still be around if the current President flips the wrong rock...

Now it is time for me to build my party, a party based on the values of every American, not just one specific region. The American People know my record, and that record is going to help shape the platform of the party for candidates all over the nation. 

I will keep on championing the rights of Americans, and don't be confused if you see me around again; I may be back.

New York APP member John Wesley gets elected to the New York State Legislature

Recently, 28 year old John Wesley, a businessman from New York City, won a seat in the State Legislature under the Progress Party banner. His main focus in domestic affairs, supporting economic policies that will continue to grow the country.

Name:Francis Maverick

Party:Republican 

State:Ohio

Platform:

Foreign Relations:Pressure France over territorial disputes,but do not escalate tensions!

Military Strenght:Increase army to 100.000 and 30 warships.

Trade:Focus on trade with Britain,giving up on French.

Louisiana:Start helping Lousiana financally to persaude them not to leave.

Party Power:Consider uniting with Progress Party offering them to support me. 

Sorry didnt see the page 20.Just ignore my post.I could keep this character for next elections though.

9 minutes ago, Rodja said:

Sorry didnt see the page 20.Just ignore my post.I could keep this character for next elections though.

You can always join. Basically our next election will be in 1836 and I would love to see more players.

Actually i have already been part of this RP for some time but lowered my activity because i started teaching.