270soft Forum
vcczar

New Historical President RP

Congressman B.D. Mitchell endorses the President for a third term. "This nation requires a firm and committed hand to guide the ship of state through the fog of war. Who better to see us through to the end of our current conflict than the very man who has lead us so well." he continued "It is my belief that President Bunt is the most capable military leader since our revolution, and that he embodies the fighting spirit of the founding fathers."

@Lyly Are you VP Baldwin? If so, will you continue on the ticket? 

36 minutes ago, FrancisXKennedy said:

Congressman B.D. Mitchell endorses the President for a third term. "This nation requires a firm and committed hand to guide the ship of state through the fog of war. Who better to see us through to the end of our current conflict than the very man who has lead us so well." he continued "It is my belief that President Bunt is the most capable military leader since our revolution, and that he embodies the fighting spirit of the founding fathers."

What state is Mitchell from?

46 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Lyly Are you VP Baldwin? If so, will you continue on the ticket? 

What state is Mitchell from?

North Carolina, sorry I should have specified. I realize the character sheets been buried with all of the updates since I came in.

Yeah I need to update them asap. 

pre.thumb.png.f9a941f8d4c9c1ecaac1eef76101895c.pngvpre.thumb.png.1f61486b6f22a12766281395670c7fad.png

Thanks @Conservative Elector 2!

I'm going to assume that Baldwin is again the VP nominee, considering he isn't close to death. This way I can calculate the elections results soon. 

1816 Election (The battle of two moderate tickets)

Bunt/Baldwin (Federalists) - Running primarily on a platform of consistency and bringing the War to a close. Federalists will suffer from Bunt fatigue and war fatigue. 

Yates/Adren (Republicans) - They are running on a what amounts to a hybrid Federalist/Republican ticket; although, it is billed as a moderate Federalist ticket. Conservative Republicans are mostly unenthusiastic about this ticket, since Bunt, in many ways, is also a hybrid ticket. 

Winthrop/Cabot (Tories) - These are the same men that ran as the Tory ticket last election (didn't write their name then). They run on a strictly Pro-New England platform. 

Overall, the tickets are more similar than they are not. Turn out is likely to be low, partially because so many troops are in the field. 

Results: 

MA: 22 Tories

NH: 8 Fed

VT: 8 Fed

CT: 9 Fed

RI: 4 Fed

NY: 29 Rep

NJ: 8 Fed

PA: 25 Fed

DE: 3 Rep

MD: 8 Rep

VA: 25 Fed

NC: 15 Rep

SC: 11 Rep

GA: 8 Rep

LA: 3 Fed

OH: 8 Rep

IN: 3 Fed

KY: 12 Rep

TN: 8 Rep

Result Totals: 

Republicans 102 EVs approx. 48% PV

Federalists 93 EVs  45% PV

Tories 22 EVs   7% PV

*Tiebreaker! -- each state delegation gets one vote to break the tie! They have decided to vote according to their state*

Fed: MA, VT, NH, CT, RI, LA, IN, VA, PA, NJ

Rep: GA, SC, NC, TN, KY, OH, MD, DE, NY

Federalists win by one state! Bunt is elected for a 3rd term!

[Note: An election couldn't be crazier than this one. Die rolls allows the Tories and Republicans to challenge Federalists in New England. Feds lost the usually critical NY. Feds got a lucky roll on PA. They lost DE, which usually goes Fed. Bunt's homefield advantage in VA was hugely important. Bunt's pro-French policy gave him LA, which is still culturally French. Bunt's victory over the Indian tribes in present day IN, helped him out there. Yates easily won the rest of the West and the Deep South. Despite this, Yates was personally more popular than Bunt. The PV are estimates based on die rolls. Assuming all Tories would have voted for Bunt, then he would have won the PV. Strangely, MA, which had so strongly opposed Bunt, decided the election primarily on issues regarding internal improvements, tariffs, and Northern interests. Bunt hardly has a mandate for his 3rd term. This is the second time that Republicans would have won if the election were by PV.]

1877500347_Legend-1816.thumb.png.86e716125b4e27d2fc427162240413cb.png

@Conservative Elector 2 Thanks. The parties seem to be less regionally specific now, except for the Tories. 

Will @Kingthero and @WVProgressive respond to the election results?

On 5/14/2018 at 4:41 PM, vcczar said:

1816 Election (The battle of two moderate tickets)

Bunt/Baldwin (Federalists) - Running primarily on a platform of consistency and bringing the War to a close. Federalists will suffer from Bunt fatigue and war fatigue. 

Yates/Adren (Republicans) - They are running on a what amounts to a hybrid Federalist/Republican ticket; although, it is billed as a moderate Federalist ticket. Conservative Republicans are mostly unenthusiastic about this ticket, since Bunt, in many ways, is also a hybrid ticket. 

Winthrop/Cabot (Tories) - These are the same men that ran as the Tory ticket last election (didn't write their name then). They run on a strictly Pro-New England platform. 

Overall, the tickets are more similar than they are not. Turn out is likely to be low, partially because so many troops are in the field. 

Results: 

MA: 22 Tories

NH: 8 Fed

VT: 8 Fed

CT: 9 Fed

RI: 4 Fed

NY: 29 Rep

NJ: 8 Fed

PA: 25 Fed

DE: 3 Rep

MD: 8 Rep

VA: 25 Fed

NC: 15 Rep

SC: 11 Rep

GA: 8 Rep

LA: 3 Fed

OH: 8 Rep

IN: 3 Fed

KY: 12 Rep

TN: 8 Rep

Result Totals: 

Republicans 102 EVs approx. 48% PV

Federalists 93 EVs  45% PV

Tories 22 EVs   7% PV

*Tiebreaker! -- each state delegation gets one vote to break the tie! They have decided to vote according to their state*

Fed: MA, VT, NH, CT, RI, LA, IN, VA, PA, NJ

Rep: GA, SC, NC, TN, KY, OH, MD, DE, NY

Federalists win by one state! Bunt is elected for a 3rd term!

[Note: An election couldn't be crazier than this one. Die rolls allows the Tories and Republicans to challenge Federalists in New England. Feds lost the usually critical NY. Feds got a lucky roll on PA. They lost DE, which usually goes Fed. Bunt's homefield advantage in VA was hugely important. Bunt's pro-French policy gave him LA, which is still culturally French. Bunt's victory over the Indian tribes in present day IN, helped him out there. Yates easily won the rest of the West and the Deep South. Despite this, Yates was personally more popular than Bunt. The PV are estimates based on die rolls. Assuming all Tories would have voted for Bunt, then he would have won the PV. Strangely, MA, which had so strongly opposed Bunt, decided the election primarily on issues regarding internal improvements, tariffs, and Northern interests. Bunt hardly has a mandate for his 3rd term. This is the second time that Republicans would have won if the election were by PV.]

Bunt, in response to the election results, promises to resign once peace is secured and the economy returns to growth.

Congressman Mitchell (F) while respectful of the President’s decision expresses sorrow at the prospect of Bunt not serving a full term. 

“ ‘twas a fair and free election that President Bunt won, but alas I understand he does not truly feel he has the heart of the populace. I respect the gentleman’s regard for his constituents, and furthermore I still believe him to be one of the greatest statesmen in the brief history of our nation. Our republic will be made poorer by his absence.”

I need a response from @Kingthero before I can progress. The election is so controversial that the candidate would give some sort of official response. 

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I need a response from @Kingthero before I can progress. The election is so controversial that the candidate would give some sort of official response. 

OOC both current main RPs are waiting on Kingthero. I’m hoping they’ll make an appearance sometime today. Sometimes life gets in the way I suppose.

Former Vice President Bigelow congratulates President Bunt on his reelection. ''Although many people wanted to see a change, the electorate decided to keep our leadership the same amid a severe national crisis. I wish President Bunt well to solve all the hardships our young nation is facing and I will support his efforts as Ambassador to Prussia.''

OOC: I hope the interest for the RP is still huge.

10 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Former Vice President Bigelow congratulates President Bunt on his reelection. ''Although many people wanted to see a change, the electorate decided to keep our leadership the same amid a severe national crisis. I wish President Bunt well to solve all the hardships our young nation is facing and I will support his efforts as Ambassador to Prussia.''

OOC: I hope the interest for the RP is still huge.

OOC: As long as there are at least 4 people other than myself, I'll continue it. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

OOC: As long as there are at least 4 people other than myself, I'll continue it. 

OOC: Ok I will remain active, so I hope others will stay as well, but of course I know that time issues are often a problem...

Yates Reflects on the Election of 1816

"This election by far is just proving that the American People are in love with candidates who are honest, good hearted men. While it is very controversial, especially with possible election fraud in Indiana, I find it peaceful that this controversial election will not result in any violence. I support the current President, as he still has done great things for my people, and I am surely going to run again in the future to hopefully provide my skills to best benefit the American People."

@WVProgressive

A. Bunt's 3rd Term

State of the Union on March 1817

----------------------------------------------------------------------

War of 1811 : 

Northwest Indian Campaign - This area has been cleared, and troops have moved to protect Ft. Detroit. What will the leader do with the Indian and British leaders captured?

Invasion of of Canada Campaign -- We have been reinforced by militia formally in Massachusetts and by one new French unit. We have set up a siege around Quebec City, but the situation doesn't look good, especially with another Winter setting in. 

Naval engagements in the Great Lakes -- The British Navy occupied the Great Lakes, and have blasting Ft. Detroit. We have repelled their assaults of Ft Detroit, and it seems like that no future assaults will occur. 

Naval engagements in the Atlantic -- The British Navy is mostly leaving the blockade, since they are needed in Europe. Our ships are non-existent in the ocean. The French have done most of the work, but they have received a lot of damage. DC, NYC, Philadelphia, Charleston, Baltimore, Savannah are shelled by British ships routinely. At least, the blockade is a shadow of what it was. 

Naval engagement in the Gulf of Mexico -- The British vessels have now focused on New Orleans to aid in an amphibious landing. French have more ships in the Gulf of Mexico, but they aren't in good shape. 

Southern Theatre -- The French have occupied Spanish Florida. The British have landed just outside New Orleans and are expected to assault it. Napoleon is sending troops from Mexico to aid us at New Orleans, if we can hold it long enough. 

Involvement in Mexican Independence from Spain -- The French have quelled Mexican Revolution. As promised French troops are heading to aid us from Mexico. 

Overall, the war seems to be turning in our favor despite our forces and our citizens being spent. French success in Europe has withered British strength in our Hemisphere. Napoleon defeated Wellington at Waterloo, and the coalition broke up. He has secured separate peace treaties with every one of his foes, except for the British, who are still stubborn. Napoleon has annexed Spain, which gives France total control of Spanish territories in the Western Hemisphere, including Mexico and Spain, making them both an ally and rival in our Hemisphere. We should expect a Peace Treaty ending the European War, and likely our war, within the new term

----------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: 3rd-tier country, but this war is diminishing our growth.  

Military Strength: Weak but growing, a professional army of 25,000 men and a professional navy now of 9 ships. We have several merchant ships converted for war as well. We have a militia of 80,000 men, and the use of about 30,000 professional French troops and about 10 French warships. We have received many losses, but we have been able to replace them.

Foreign Affairs: We are at war with Great Britain. We are allied with France. We have ended tribute with the Pirates, but they are such a fragment of what they were that attacks will be few. There is some fear that Napoleon will use this alliance to his favor, since he did much of the work for us against Britain. He may view us as a junior partner, but we may have to wait and see. 

Military: See War of 1811 above

Economy: Economy has been badly hit, and the people are in an economic depression because of the war. However, the end of the blockades are allowing trade to return. The country is rapidly industrializing. New England is now industrialized and generating revenue through the tariff system; although, the tariff has been decreased in the South. Taxation remains low. . We are still in debt, and the payment has been stopped because of the war. An expected 1840ish payoff date has been estimated. We now owe a large loan to Russia, Prussia and the Ottoman Empire for helping in funding our war. The South is very agrarian, but profitable for the people and now the country as recent inventions allow greater production of cotton. 

Trade: Very stifled.  Protective Tariff allows for industrial growth in New England as well as revenue. The South opposed this tariff, but the South is now bound by a moderate tariff, which has alleviated this tension. However, this is at the cost of some revenue. Additionally, the British Navy is stifling out trade. About 80% of our international trade was via Britain, with 10% via France, and 10% via the rest of Europe. However, trade with Britain has ceased, for the most part. Trade with France is now 50% of our trade, while 25% goes to Western Hemisphere colonies unattached to Britain.The rest of our trade goes to Russia, Prussia, and the Ottoman Empire.

Budget: Medium-sized and shrinking, because of stifled trade and a reduced tariff in the South. 80% of revenue comes from Tariffs, 10% through tax, 10% through other. About 80% of our budget is going to military upkeep during the War and creation and to protect the boarders, and toward the creation of 3 more warships. 0% is going to paying off the national debt.  20% is going to government upkeep. Taxes remains low and it needs to be drastically increased to support the war effort and balance out the reduced tariff in the South. We have issues War Bonds to help pay for the war in addition to foreign loans. 

Social Harmony: For the most part harmony exists, but the people are disgruntled with the war. New England is defiantly against the war, so much so that they are considering secession, refusing to organize militia, and some say they are trading illegally with Britain/ However, the leaders of this movement have been pardoned and some former Tories are now returning to the Federalists as the British blockade is signalling that the Tories may have sided with the wrong side. 

Immigration: Limited. Mostly Protestant Scots-Irish, Protestant French, and a few Protestant Germans arrive, but they do not yet pose a danger to our more English-descent Protestant Culture. More dangerous to our culture are the French and Spanish people we inherited through the Louisiana Purchase. New Orleans is practically a foreign city in our boarders.

Mood of the people: Moderate to demoralized throughout the country, except New England is enraged. People are tired of war and a bad economy. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Bunt was elected to a 3rd term in a controversial election. He promises to resign once peace is achieved. Bunt is personally respected, but his popularity will depend upon the peace and post-war economy. Many believe this war to be rash. 

Party Power: The Senate is split. The US House is Republican dominated. Governorships are slightly Republican majority.  

Events and Decisions for Bunt's 3rd term (1817-1821). 

1. War of 1811, including the campaign into Mexico

Considering the summary of the war thus far, do you have any adjustments that you recommend to your generals or diplomats? The French Ambassador informs us that Napoleon expects a peace treaty conference with Great Britain within a year. He has read your proposed Peace Treaty and will bring it with him as part of the discussions with the British Prime Minister when the time arrives. 

2. Massachusetts demands

Mr. President, Massachusetts leaders, having decided your election victory during the tie-breaker, and having stepped away from secession attempts, asks that you advocate an increase in the tariff in both the North and South. Also, they request funding for internal improvements from funds generated from this high protective tariff. 

3. Army and navy size 

We have 25,000 professionals and 9 warships. Should we seek to increase this? If so, how?

4. Creek War

The Creek Indians in the Deep South are resisting efforts for civilization, stating that they are bound to their cultures. They have attacked settlers and ask that we withdraw and recognize their sovereignty or attacks will continue. The Southern states, most Republicans, and settlers oppose any concessions to the Creek. 

5. Loans from Russia, Prussia and Ottoman Empire/National Debt

Fortunately, we have not yet been asked to repay our loans. Our national debt increases. How do you plan to pay this off when this war ends?

6. Seminole War

Seminoles are crossing French-controlled Florida and attacking our citizens in Georgia. The French said they will deal with the Seminoles in Florida if the US can afford a militia to guard the boarder. 

7. Mississippi, Alabama and Illinois statehood

Do you support these efforts? The Creek oppose statehood efforts in the South, believing that their rights and safety will be negatively impacted. There are also tribes seeking protection from settlers in Illinois. 

8. Indian Removal

Republicans in the South are increasingly demanding a return to Aldridge’s policy of Indian Removal. Settlers and Indians have been clashing. Civilization processing is moving too slow to compete, since it takes about a generation to show clear signs of civilizing. The Republican dominated Congress have placed a new Indian Removal bill on your desk, which would call for the removal of all tribes in the Deep South to the other side of the Mississippi. 

9. Treaty to buy Florida

The French Presence on our Border could pose a problem in the future. A Republican dominated Congress has recommended that we purchase or otherwise acquire French Florida and French Mexico. However, I’m not sure how we can afford to purchase them or how we can entice the French to part with these. Additionally, Great Britain and the Spanish pretender to the throne (Napoleon has annexed Spain) do not recognize these French claims yet. 

10. Missouri Compromise

The Republicans in Congress have made a compromise to quell the argument between Slave and Free States. Missouri is ready for statehood, and it will be allowed in as a Slave State. Maine will break off of Massachusetts and form a new Free State. Additionally, a line at the 36-30 parallel will mark the line between free and slave states in the future. This bill is on your desk to sign. 

11. Land Act 

Republicans in the South and West, as well as moderate Federalists, have pushed forth a bill to sell Western land cheaply to settlers, which will encourage western expansion, but also increase the likelihood of attacks between settlers and Indians. Federalists fear that such a bill will only make Republicans stronger, since the bill is mostly Republican endorsed. Federalists also think that the price of land should be increased much more to help pay off the war. Some Federalists believe that instead of pensions, which become costly over time, we can reward veterans free land in the West. Some conservative Republicans, however, disagree with their party, believing that giving out land is unconstitutional. Nevertheless, a bill is on your desk. 

@Conservative Elector 2

Do you have a website link to all the images and information you are gathering for this RP? If so, it might be useful to post the URL when posting the images, because that way people can go back and see the history a lot easier. 

13 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Conservative Elector 2

Do you have a website link to all the images and information you are gathering for this RP? If so, it might be useful to post the URL when posting the images, because that way people can go back and see the history a lot easier. 

So I summed everything up quickly. Hopefully people can access and edit, if they want https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:270RolePlay/Presidents

I cannot put in the maps on Wikipedia, but all maps are in the thread.

41 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I cannot put in the maps on Wikipedia, but all maps are in the thread.

Thanks. When this is all over, maybe we can put something together that will implement both the map and wiki information. I could also type out something that summarizes the presidencies. 

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Thanks. When this is all over, maybe we can put something together that will implement both the map and wiki information. I could also type out something that summarizes the presidencies. 

That would be great! I think it would be awesome to list the expectations in a newly elected leader and his accomplishments and subsequently how historians would rate a presidency. Whether it is considered a failure or a successful presidency. EDIT: And if expectations were fulfilled or not.

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

1. War of 1811, including the campaign into Mexico

Considering the summary of the war thus far, do you have any adjustments that you recommend to your generals or diplomats? The French Ambassador informs us that Napoleon expects a peace treaty conference with Great Britain within a year. He has read your proposed Peace Treaty and will bring it with him as part of the discussions with the British Prime Minister when the time arrives. 

I have some changes to I want to add the peace treaty.

Concessions to America

Normalized trade relations between all nations

British recognition of all land below the 54°40′ north parallel and past the Mississippi river as American lands

Agreement between America and Britain to share the great lakes

Establishment of an official Massachusetts and New Brunswick border (like the Webster-Ashburton treaty in real life ) 

An end to British impressment of american sailors

Concessions to Britain

Recognition of Canada as British lands

Establishment of an official Massachusetts and New Brunswick border (like the Webster-Ashburton treaty in real life ) 

Concessions to France

Recognition of the new king of Spain

Recognition of French Mexico

They need only pay 1/2 of the set tariff

2. Massachusetts demands

Mr. President, Massachusetts leaders, having decided your election victory during the tie-breaker, and having stepped away from secession attempts, asks that you advocate an increase in the tariff in both the North and South. Also, they request funding for internal improvements from funds generated from this high protective tariff. 

We'll Increase the tariff to a point but not so much it's excessive. 

9. Treaty to buy Florida

The French Presence on our Border could pose a problem in the future. A Republican dominated Congress has recommended that we purchase or otherwise acquire French Florida and French Mexico. However, I’m not sure how we can afford to purchase them or how we can entice the French to part with these. Additionally, Great Britain and the Spanish pretender to the throne (Napoleon has annexed Spain) do not recognize these French claims yet. 

We should try to play our special relationship with France to get the best deal possible to purchase Florida.

11. Land Act 

Republicans in the South and West, as well as moderate Federalists, have pushed forth a bill to sell Western land cheaply to settlers, which will encourage western expansion, but also increase the likelihood of attacks between settlers and Indians. Federalists fear that such a bill will only make Republicans stronger, since the bill is mostly Republican endorsed. Federalists also think that the price of land should be increased much more to help pay off the war. Some Federalists believe that instead of pensions, which become costly over time, we can reward veterans free land in the West. Some conservative Republicans, however, disagree with their party, believing that giving out land is unconstitutional. Nevertheless, a bill is on your desk. 

We'll give veterans free plots of land and any leftover can be sold at a moderately-high price.

OOC: i'll wait for the peace conference before making anymore decisions @vcczar

Toward Peace in the War in Europe in the War of 1811: Current Year is 1819

War of 1811 : 

Northwest Indian Campaign - This was successfully concluded. 

Invasion of of Canada Campaign -- The Siege of Quebec City is still on going. Our greatest foe is the weather, as we lose many men to the cold. The French allies are planning an assault soon. 

Naval engagements in the Great Lakes -- The British Navy still controls the Great Lakes, but we held Ft. Detroit. It is mostly quiet here. 

Naval engagements in the Atlantic -- The French Navy has left for Europe to wrap up their engagements there. The British force, however, is much weaker, but they shell our major port cities periodically. Civilian casualties are high. Our ships are too badly damaged to drive them off. 

Naval engagement in the Gulf of Mexico -- French troops from Mexico, along with US professionals and militia have repelled a British assault on New Orleans. The British Navy is disengaging from the Gulf of Mexico following this defeat. 

In Europe: The British made a surprise victory in a naval battle in the British channel, wrecking most of Napoleon's best ships. Napoleon had planned an invasion of Great Britain. Former war-weary allies have refused to rejoin Great Britain in their war against France unless they score a ground victory on French soil. Napoleon made a risky move by allow British troops to land in Northern France near Calais. The battle between Napoleon and British troops was inconclusive. Napoleon waited for a renewed attack but the British moved back closer to the coast, hoping to draw Napoleon in once they found a better defensive position. Unfortunately for the British, Napoleon had a corps in place at the most defensive location. The British troops became disorganized and French forces easily demolished the British force. The British Navy was able to keep the French at bay long enough for a successful retreat.

For three months, Europe was quiet, militarily speaking. Napoleon called for peace with the Prime Minister. After an initial meeting with ambassadors, in which the US terms by President Bunt ( @WVProgressive ) were discussed, a second meeting between Napoleon and the British Prime Minister were discussed in Amsterdam. 

The French Ambassador has sent the terms to DC for approval (Don't resign until the treaty becomes official):

Concessions to America from Great Britain

Normalized trade relations with Great Britain

British recognition of all land below the 54°40′ north parallel and past the Mississippi river as American lands

An end to British impressment of american sailors

25% reparation payment for damaged ships due to impressment

25% payment on US war loans to Russia, Prussia, and the Ottomans as compensation for civilian damages

Concessions by France to the US

France pays another quarter of the US loans to Russia, Prussia, and the Ottomans for compensation for the terms of this treaty. 

France lowers the tariff for trade with the US

Extend our military alliance for a period of 5 years, as a protection against Great Britain and any of her allies should they start another war. 

Concessions to Britain and her Allies from France and America

Normalized trade relations between the nations

Recognition of Canada, excluding Quebec. 

Promise by France that no future invasion of the British Isles, of Italy, of Austria, of Prussia or of any of their colonies will occur for 20 years. 

Tuscany, Papal States, Sicily Netherlands, Belgium, Confederacy of the Rhine are given immediate independence from France as sovereign nations. 

France pays a considerable sum to Great Britain and her Allies as compensation for terms of this treaty. 

Concessions to France by Great Britain

Normalized trade relations between the two nations

Great Britain and her allies recognize the complete annexation of Spain and Portugal by France, including their colonies, which includes Mexico, Central and South America, and former Spanish Florida. 

France gets Quebec from Great Britain

Concession to France by the US

US lowers tariff for trade with France

US recognized French acquisitions in this Treaty.