270soft Forum
vcczar

New Historical President RP

I'm going to end the old RP, since we can't seem to get it running, and I'll start a new one. 

This new RP is very different. One person is President, and that president will react to historic events/decisions. The other players can react to the events/decisions as they bide their time before they can run for election against the incumbent president. In short, RPers will continue, erase, or alter the legacy of the president in office, should they take over. Oh, one RPer will be a VP, in case something happens to the pres. 

Since the old RP had @WVProgressive and @Sami as Pres and VP, we can start with them, if they wish to maintain these positions. They would take office as the first president and VP of 1789. 

This RP will be a lot easier to maintain, since it will only really require the president as being regularly active. 

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

I'm going to end the old RP, since we can't seem to get it running, and I'll start a new one. 

This new RP is very different. One person is President, and that president will react to historic events/decisions. The other players can react to the events/decisions as they bide their time before they can run for election against the incumbent president. In short, RPers will continue, erase, or alter the legacy of the president in office, should they take over. Oh, one RPer will be a VP, in case something happens to the pres. 

Since the old RP had @WVProgressive and @Sami as Pres and VP, we can start with them, if they wish to maintain these positions. They would take office as the first president and VP of 1789. 

This RP will be a lot easier to maintain, since it will only really require the president as being regularly active. 

I'd be interesting in retaining my role in this new RP. 

1 hour ago, WVProgressive said:

I'd be interesting in retaining my role in this new RP. 

Excellent

I'd be interested in helping with alt history. I may also run ASP

I want to see if more people are interested in joining before I consider starting this. 

1 hour ago, Kingthero said:

I think you went from too broad to too narrow tbh

I appreciate your honesty. This new RP is more in line with what I wanted to do originally. I think the other became too unwieldy since it required a lot of commitment from everyone. This RP idea is at least manageable, so long as I can get about 4 or 5 active players (not counting myself). 

I can do it.

This is something I might be able to participate in.

Excellent guys, I'll start this in a few days. 

Basically, @WVProgressive is the Federalist elected president, the first of the nation. @Sami is the VP. RP's will be directed and decided exclusively by the president, but the VP can offer advice. Remaining players, @Kingthero, @Rodja, @Reagan04 @Lyly @LokiLoki22 can respond to the president's decisions, but they can't do anything, but wait until the presidential election to run for the presidency. It is assumed that you are all highly electable. Each term will compose of a list of event/decisions that must be made or responded to. Some may lead to subsequent events/decisions. Let's see how you all change the course of America. 

So basically, each chapter of this RP is a term, and it will go thusly

1. Presidential Election  [already decided for chapter 1]

2. President's list of events/decisions 

3. Subsequent events/decisions [if applicable]

4. Calculation of popularity, party strengths, and state of the union

5. Declaration of candidacies for next election. 

This is an experimental RP designed to move through the course of US history simply, quickly, but still maintain a level of entertainment. It's also much more manageable. It may be a great success, and it might not be. I think it will be fun, especially if we keep a good crop of RPers. 

@vcczar Can we all go through history changing characters for example i run in 1792 as John Doe and then in 1828 as Jane Doe?

3 hours ago, Rodja said:

@vcczar Can we all go through history changing characters for example i run in 1792 as John Doe and then in 1828 as Jane Doe?

Probably. If we couldn't change characters, we'd run out of people sharpish.

I am in too. I hope I can be a reliable player and that time allows it.

4 hours ago, Rodja said:

Definitely. You can change characters every election if you wish. 

Im in same character and everything as last time 

Awesome! Sounds fun!

I'm now creating issues for the first term. Hopefully, I can start this tonight. 

So I don't do this sloppy, I want to wait until I have a solid hour to present the topics in a clear fashion. I still hope to get this up tonight, but it is possible that I won't have the topics up until Monday or Wednesday, since my job/personal life,  historical scenario updating, the Political Fantasy League, and other projects take precedents on my time. I don't think I can force time for this today. If not, Monday and Wednesday seem more likely. Expect this RP to speed up and slow down according to my schedule. I'm also helping (as of three days ago) create a presidential election boardgame with someone that has already made and published one. 

Chapter 1, 1789-1792: The first term of Jefferson Bunt, Federalist, Virginia ( @WVProgressive) with Samuel Lewis, Federalist, New York as VP ( @Sami)

National Situation:

National Strength: 3rd 

Military Strength: Weak, with no professional army and no navy

Economy: Weak, and in debt, not much production outside New England. Very agrarian in the South

Trade: No tariff and limited

Budget: Small

Social Harmony: Slight tension between Northern and Southern economies and world view

Immigration: Limited, but non-restrictive

Mood of the people: Positive and proud

These are the issues that the President must decide:

1) Mr. President, many national and state politicians supported the Constitution with the promise of a Bill of Rights. Do you support the efforts of creating a Bill of Rights? Some oppose the creation of the Bill of Rights, as it might imply that the rights that aren't listed are not rights. However, this seems to be the view of a minority of Federalists only. 

2) Mr. President, we have been fighting Indians in the Northwest Territory (what would become Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan) for about four years. As you are now the executive of our nation do you wish to continue this Indian War? If yes, we should be able to clear that land for settlement, and construct Forts for defense. If not, what do you expect to do with this territory that we claim? 

3) Mr. President, economists suggest that the Federal government take on the state debts from our war of independence. By doing so, we can potentially unburden these economies, while also building the authority of Federal Government. The South opposes this, but their leaders claim that they'll allow it if the capital is moved from NYC. Do you support the assumption of state debts in exchange for moving our nation's capital from NYC to Washington DC (with a temporary, ten-year stop in Philadelphia)? 

4) Do you support Vermont's statehood? While mostly a positive addition to our country, it might add some brief tension to NY and NY that both claim the territory. Vermont threatens to go independent if it cannot be its own state.

5) Establish a tariff to generate revenue. The Southern agrarian sectors oppose this, as do some agrarian areas in NY and PA. New England, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Charleston, Savannah, and other port cities and town support this. 

6) Mr. President, do you support the Coinage Act? By doing so, this will eliminate state currencies in favor of a national currency. This will allow stable transactions across the states and perhaps strengthen our currency for trade abroad. Some of the states oppose this as a loss of state identity, however. 

7) Do you support Kentucky's statehood? This state is likely to become a slave state. Voting for this state will likely alleviate some pressure from the South that might have opposed Vermont's statehood. 

8) Mr. President, your Treasury Secretary recommends the establishment of a National Bank. This would stabilize and improve the nation's credit, while also giving the government a means for financial transactions. Eventually, we could pay off the federal debt and/or state debts. About half the country is supportive of this measure, mostly in the North and in the Mercantile cities throughout the country. The agrarian sectors that are mostly non-mercantile and non-industrial mostly oppose this. 

9) Mr. President, the Southerners have managed to push a Fugitive Slave Act through Congress, which guarantees the right of a slaveholder to reclaim an escaped slave, even if they escape to a Free State. Those in New England mostly oppose this. The South demands this. The rest are indifferent. By supporting and signing this bill you may be able to alleviate tension in the South caused by any of your other decisions. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

7) Do you support Kentucky's statehood? This state is likely to become a slave state. Voting for this state will likely alleviate some pressure from the South that might have opposed Vermont's statehood. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

4) Do you support Vermont's statehood? While mostly a positive addition to our country, it might add some brief tension to NY and NY that both claim the territory. Vermont threatens to go independent if it cannot be its own state.

Bunt: Vermont and Kentucky should be allowed to join the union together, and this should serve as a guide for future statehood consideration offsetting a free-state entrance with a slave-state and vice-versa. 

7 hours ago, vcczar said:

9) Mr. President, the Southerners have managed to push a Fugitive Slave Act through Congress, which guarantees the right of a slaveholder to reclaim an escaped slave, even if they escape to a Free State. Those in New England mostly oppose this. The South demands this. The rest are indifferent. By supporting and signing this bill you may be able to alleviate tension in the South caused by any of your other decisions. 

6) Mr. President, do you support the Coinage Act? By doing so, this will eliminate state currencies in favor of a national currency. This will allow stable transactions across the states and perhaps strengthen our currency for trade abroad. Some of the states oppose this as a loss of state identity, however. 

5) Establish a tariff to generate revenue. The Southern agrarian sectors oppose this, as do some agrarian areas in NY and PA. New England, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Charleston, Savannah, and other port cities and town support this. 

Bunt: I support the establishment of both a national currency and a tariff. In exchange for support from agrarians I will be signing the Fugitive Slave Act recently passed by congress.

10 hours ago, vcczar said:

3) Mr. President, economists suggest that the Federal government take on the state debts from our war of independence. By doing so, we can potentially unburden these economies, while also building the authority of Federal Government. The South opposes this, but their leaders claim that they'll allow it if the capital is moved from NYC. Do you support the assumption of state debts in exchange for moving our nation's capital from NYC to Washington DC (with a temporary, ten-year stop in Philadelphia)? 

Bunt: I support this plan as it allows states to function normally, moves the capital the middle of the country, and besides who wouldn't like to work a bit closer to home.

10 hours ago, vcczar said:

8) Mr. President, your Treasury Secretary recommends the establishment of a National Bank. This would stabilize and improve the nation's credit, while also giving the government a means for financial transactions. Eventually, we could pay off the federal debt and/or state debts. About half the country is supportive of this measure, mostly in the North and in the Mercantile cities throughout the country. The agrarian sectors that are mostly non-mercantile and non-industrial mostly oppose this. 

As for a National Bank, I will support an Independent Treasury, or a National Bank, whichever can gain the most support.