Jump to content
270soft Forum
MBDemSoc

Unable to assign regions to a custom made map

Recommended Posts

Hi, I have made my own custom united Ireland map to do some scenario editing testing and I am unable to assign regions to it as the whole screen seems to go white and I am unsure why.

 

United Ireland Map.bmp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MBDemSoc said:

Hi, I have made my own custom united Ireland map to do some scenario editing testing and I am unable to assign regions to it as the whole screen seems to go white and I am unsure why.

 

United Ireland Map.bmp

Are you using the (still crappy and underdeveloped) in-game editor, or editing it directly via the political_regions.xml file?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Patine said:

Are you using the (still crappy and underdeveloped) in-game editor, or editing it directly via the political_regions.xml file?

The editor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MBDemSoc said:

The editor.

That's probably where much of your problem lay. The editor for the Infinity games is languishing and far inferior and quality and capability to the old President Forever 2008 editor, unfortunately. Manual editing of the .xml files, while it does have it's problem, is actually more reliable in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah okay thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The map you've attached has some artefacting that might be causing the problems.

I've taken the liberty of making all the black lines a consistent color and removed the glow throughout the image. This should work better for your purposes.

 

mapIRE.bmp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lyly said:

The map you've attached has some artefacting that might be causing the problems.

I've taken the liberty of making all the black lines a consistent color and removed the glow throughout the image. This should work better for your purposes.

 

mapIRE.bmp

My goodness thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Patine

Can you tell me what exactly is crappy and undeveloped about the President Infinity Editor when it comes to maps compared to the President Forever 2008 one? I'm genuinely curious about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

@Patine

Can you tell me what exactly is crappy and undeveloped about the President Infinity Editor when it comes to maps compared to the President Forever 2008 one? I'm genuinely curious about this.

The President Forever 2008 one allowed direct import of maps from pre-prepared bitmaps, and then allowed point-and-click assignment of regions in a fully functional way, erasing all region data from the previous map. This is not a fully working feature in the PI editor, as it's always had glitches and issues in this regard, (initially, you were completely unable to import a map period, or delete regions from an existing map). That's a big one tied to this particular topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PI's Editor allows for 1. direct import of map bitmaps and 2. point and click assignment of regions. Can you say more about what you mean by 'is not a fully working feature' and 'always had glitches and issues'? If there are bugs in the Editor, if you report them (here or by e-mail) I can look into them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MBDemSoc said:

My goodness thank you.

It's no problem at all! You are very welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

PI's Editor allows for 1. direct import of map bitmaps and 2. point and click assignment of regions. Can you say more about what you mean by 'is not a fully working feature' and 'always had glitches and issues'? If there are bugs in the Editor, if you report them (here or by e-mail) I can look into them.

Lingering data from maps that's have just been deleted. It's not everytime, but, in my experience, other parts of the editor (parties, candidates, endorsers, etc.) with a tie to a region of a map that's been replaced have a "lingering" demand for that region to exist, causing an error unless I go through the .xml files and clear the data manually. There's a similar possible issue in the P4E2008 editor, but I long ago discovered a reliable method to avoid it. Also, the issue in the OP seems to happen to me occasionally in the PI editor on maps that actually work when I try them in P4E2008 or edit them manually. These glitches are not universal, but erratic, but this has been in my experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have an error that occurs using the most recent PI (currently 2.7.2) re this, please send it to me along with what action you took, and I can look into it.

What is the 'issue in the OP'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

If you have an error that occurs using the most recent PI (currently 2.7.2) re this, please send it to me along with what action you took, and I can look into it.

What is the 'issue in the OP'?

The one about assigning regions on a custom map. OP as in "Opening Post" of a thread (forgive me, most people on this forum don't use the term often). Also, I do admit, my complaint MAY possibly be a bit dated. I've become comfortable manually editing scenarios in PI after pretty much having to do so entirely in PM4E, K4E, and even C4E/CI (the latter which also long had no in-game editor), and haven't been relying as heavily on the PI (or PMI or CI) in-game editors as some members of these forums. I don't remember which version I last had these issues with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've even downloaded a commercial-calibre .xml editing program, if that says anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems the problem in the opening post was about region lines not being drawn properly on the map. This is not a problem with the Editor, but a problem with the map.

OK, if you have any specific problems with the Editor, please let me know.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×