Jump to content
270soft Forum
Presidentinsertname

Thank you gun control lobby.

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/380406-former-supreme-court-justice-repeal-the-second-amendment Thank you for pushing me to my limits i will now look into buying guns and joining the nra. Cant wait for the coming civil war!!!

The judge is a registered Republican too. Hopefully, this carries some weight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Presidentinsertname said:

 

Dont matter what party he apart of.

The NRA and the big firearms manufacturers in the U.S. are much like the tobacco corporations - they want to make maximal profit off large-scale death, and quote "rights" alone from a detached, soulless, point-of-view when confronted on such issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The judge is a registered Republican too. Hopefully, this carries some weight. 

It seemed out of character for him considering he's been historically strongly libertarian once dissenting in a case that said that a prisoners cell and its contents were not protected by the 4th amendment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

It seemed out of character for him considering he's been historically strongly libertarian once dissenting in a case that said that a prisoners cell and its contents were not protected by the 4th amendment.

Of course, openly and staunchly partisan judges, usually appointed or elected for their partisan beliefs, are one of the biggest failings and flaws in the American judicial system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Patine said:

The NRA and the big firearms manufacturers in the U.S. are much like the tobacco corporations - they want to make maximal profit off large-scale death, and quote "rights" alone from a detached, soulless, point-of-view when confronted on such issues.

I use to be against the nra for reasoning of lobbying but after the march last weekend I am now considering joining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Presidentinsertname said:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/380406-former-supreme-court-justice-repeal-the-second-amendment Thank you for pushing me to my limits i will now look into buying guns and joining the nra. Cant wait for the coming civil war!!!

I'm gonna be the first to say this, guns won't be banned. In the ideal scenario for democrats to retake the house, they would need to a mixture of suburban districts and rural rustbelt districts in Wisconsin and New York. 

 

Having been raised in a district that went Romney-Clinton, there's plenty of individuals whom go to the gun range or out on some land to hunt deer. I believe Ossof view on guns was relatively moderate, same with Connor Lamb. At most, they asked to close some loopholes, and universal background checks.

 

And I haven't touched on the Senate, which favors rural hunting states, that would never elect a politician willing to repeal this amendment. And the states democrats need to win this year are in states Trump won( TN, AZ, TX, MS- a long shot). So I doubt a anti- 2A politician will be elected to the Senate outside of a safe state.So there would be no possible route to a 2/3 yea vote.

 

And the states! In no imaginative scenario will anti-2A politicians gain a majority in 3/4 of the states. 

 

In short this is much ado about nothing. He might as well say everyone will be gifted a unicorn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaaaaaaaaaand Presidentinsertname comes in to piss on the parade as expected! I knew it was too good to be true!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

I'm gonna be the first to say this, guns won't be banned. In the ideal scenario for democrats to retake the house, they would need to a mixture of suburban districts and rural rustbelt districts in Wisconsin and New York. 

 

Having been raised in a district that went Romney-Clinton, there's plenty of individuals whom go to the gun range or out on some land to hunt deer. I believe Ossof view on guns was relatively moderate, same with Connor Lamb. At most, they asked to close some loopholes, and universal background checks.

 

And I haven't touched on the Senate, which favors rural hunting states, that would never elect a politician willing to repeal this amendment. And the states democrats need to win this year are in states Trump won( TN, AZ, TX, MS- a long shot). So I doubt a anti- 2A politician will be elected to the Senate outside of a safe state.So there would be no possible route to a 2/3 yea vote.

 

And the states! In no imaginative scenario will anti-2A politicians gain a majority in 3/4 of the states. 

 

In short this is much ado about nothing. He might as well say everyone will be gifted a unicorn.

you really think the growing progressive factor in the democrats are going to elect people like conor lamb (ossof was more left) they arent the blue dog democrats will die bare in mind lamb didnt have to go thought a primary if he did he would have lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

you really think the growing progressive factor in the democrats are going to elect people like conor lamb (ossof was more left) they arent the blue dog democrats will die bare in mind lamb didnt have to go thought a primary if he did he would have lost.

And he would've lost that election. This is honestly much ado about nothing. In no realistic scenario can Democrats gain 2/3 of the House & Senate any time soon. The last time a party had 2/3 of the seats in the Senate was after the 1964 election. And for the House, I believe it was during the first term of FDR. Assuming only Democrats are for this, it will be extremely rare. As for state legislators: because of gerrymandering, and natural self sorting, and lack of strong local party offices...the Democratic party is at a serious disadvantage. I believe only having a majority in 14 states. All of which are safe liberal leaning states. I doubt there will be a way they can win 3/4ths of the states any time soon. 

Assuming more progressive candidates were to run in more socially conservative districts, such as MT-At Large, or Maine-2nd, they would lose due to the disconnect from the voters and the candidate's views. And in that case, these talks would naturally die out due to the lack of voter support. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

there's plenty of individuals whom go to the gun range or out on some land to hunt deer.

You can do those two things quite easily here in Alberta. However, there is no justification for civilians being LEGALLY able to carry loaded assault rifles down city streets unless what they intend to do is ILLEGAL. That's just simple logic. But simple logic is such an elusive quality in modern politics, where it's all about emotions, fears, and irrational, knee-jerk reactions - very much like Continental European politics in the 1920's and 1930's, I'm afraid to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Patine said:

You can do those two things quite easily here in Alberta. However, there is no justification for civilians being LEGALLY able to carry loaded assault rifles down city streets unless what they intend to do is ILLEGAL. That's just simple logic. But simple logic is such an elusive quality in modern politics, where it's all about emotions, fears, and irrational, knee-jerk reactions - very much like Continental European politics in the 1920's and 1930's, I'm afraid to say.

What's surprising, is that many Americans assume Canada outright banned gun altogether(many assume Canada is this liberal/progressive utopia/dystopia depending on where you sit on the spectrum). Which is far from the truth, since Alberta probably has just as many hunting enthusiast as the US. And if I recall, the majority of guns in Canada are hunting rifles. 

But 1920's-1930's Europe: A continent plagued  with a falling middle class. Confused about the waning global power. Uncomfortable with changing cultural norms. Acceptance of leaders whom challenge the democratic norms. Nope do not see any similarities to the current situation in the US. Nope not at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Patine said:

You can do those two things quite easily here in Alberta. However, there is no justification for civilians being LEGALLY able to carry loaded assault rifles down city streets unless what they intend to do is ILLEGAL. That's just simple logic. But simple logic is such an elusive quality in modern politics, where it's all about emotions, fears, and irrational, knee-jerk reactions - very much like Continental European politics in the 1920's and 1930's, I'm afraid to say.

Assault rifles qualified by the US as being automatic weapons are already banned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Assault rifles qualified by the US as being automatic weapons are already banned.

Another good question is what LEGAL purpose should a law-abiding citizen need, or really justify, to carry ANY firearm in an urban environment (outside of an all-out civil war or a complete collapse of government authority and infrastructure), ESPECIALLY concealed (a big issue) that wouldn't be ILLEGAL by design?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patine said:

Another good question is what LEGAL purpose should a law-abiding citizen need, or really justify, to carry ANY firearm in an urban environment (outside of an all-out civil war or a complete collapse of government authority and infrastructure), ESPECIALLY concealed (a big issue) that wouldn't be ILLEGAL by design?

Peace of mind and protection in shady urban neighborhoods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NYrepublican said:

Peace of mind and protection in shady urban neighborhoods.

Ah, so the self-fulfilling need for firearms that just escalates and turns into the problem the U.S. has now? Thanks for clearing that up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patine said:

Ah, so the self-fulfilling need for firearms that just escalates and turns into the problem the U.S. has now? Thanks for clearing that up...

By that logic Switzerland should be a hellhole of gun violence but they haven't had a shooting since 2001.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

By that logic Switzerland should be a hellhole of gun violence but they haven't had a shooting since 2001.

Maybe it's a deep-seated cultural issue (and media issue too). Maybe the U.S. should look into solving it's biggest and most pressing problems at a deeper and core level. But who am I kidding? American politicians ONLY ever deal with surface problems and symptoms of deep-seated issues in a "whack-a-mole" sort-of- way, and then congratulate themselves for doing THAT...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Patine said:

Maybe it's a deep-seated cultural issue (and media issue too). Maybe the U.S. should look into solving it's biggest and most pressing problems at a deeper and core level. But who am I kidding? American politicians ONLY ever deal with surface problems and symptoms of deep-seated issues in a "whack-a-mole" sort-of- way, and then congratulate themselves for doing THAT...

What is inherently wrong with a culture that regards self-defense as an inalienable right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NYrepublican said:

What is inherently wrong with a culture that regards self-defense as an inalienable right.

Any sensible culture does. I'm referring to the glorification, romanticization, entrenchment, and ubiquity in U.S. culture of gun violence with IMPUNITY, and so often for far more than JUST self-defence. Have you watched an '80' Hollywood action movie, or a Quentin Tarantino movie lately?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patine said:

Any sensible culture does. I'm referring to the glorification, romanticization, entrenchment, and ubiquity in U.S. culture of gun violence with IMPUNITY, and so often for far more than JUST self-defence. Have you watched an '80' Hollywood action movie, or a Quentin Tarantino movie lately?

So what of it exactly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NYrepublican said:

So what of it exactly?

Are you in denial of the obvious facts, or do I have to spoon feed THIS to you too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Patine said:

Are you in denial of the obvious facts, or do I have to spoon feed THIS to you too?

It doesn't prove it has anything to do with gun-violence as gun-touting Switzerland hasn't had shootings in over a decade and a half and gun crime there is almost non-existent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

It doesn't prove it has anything to do with gun-violence as gun-touting Switzerland hasn't had shootings in over a decade and a half and gun crime there is almost non-existent.

Ah, so you don't believe this aspect of American media and culture I'm referring to AT ALL influences young and developing minds watching this crap (ad nosium) on television, in movies, and on the Internet, who then, MAYBE, might grow to think that the clichés and tropes in these media forms are appropriate ways to settle problems and "get back" at people you don't like, and that this might be part of what's on their minds when they became mass shooters, or make armed robberies, are join gun-toting gangs or anti-government militias?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×