270soft Forum
Presidentinsertname

Thank you gun control lobby.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Ah, so you don't believe this aspect of American media and culture I'm referring to AT ALL influences young and developing minds watching this crap (ad nosium) on television, in movies, and on the Internet, who then, MAYBE, might grow to think that the clichés and tropes in these media forms are appropriate ways to settle problems and "get back" at people you don't like, and that this might be part of what's on their minds when they became mass shooters, or make armed robberies, are join gun-toting gangs or anti-government militias?

No, I dont. Unless I see evidence to prove such I will not believe such.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

No, I dont. Unless I see evidence to prove such I will not believe such.

I suppose you don't believe that Pitcairn Island, the Planet Neptune, or the duck-billed platypus exist either by the same Medieval-thinking logic?

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I suppose you don't believe that Pitcairn Island, the Planet Neptune, or the duck-billed platypus exist either by the same Medieval-thinking logic?

If "violent" video games have been proven to not have an impact on gun violence I doubt seeing it on other media will.

Just now, NYrepublican said:

If "violent" video games have been proven to not have an impact on gun violence I doubt seeing it on other media will.

Who has PROVEN that violent video games have absolutely no impact on gun violence. Psychologists sociologists paid well by the NRA to make staged "tests" for PR purposes?

Who has PROVEN that violent video games have absolutely no impact on gun violence. Psychologists sociologists paid well by the NRA to make staged "tests" for PR purposes?

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41380-018-0031-7#Sec8 - here's one study

2 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

That's one study (I can't discern a bias or outside influences from the article itself), but a well-respected study in the University of Alberta, here in Edmonton, which has one of the top-rated psychology faculties and research centres in the world in the psychology field, came up with very different results.

41 minutes ago, Patine said:

Any sensible culture does. I'm referring to the glorification, romanticization, entrenchment, and ubiquity in U.S. culture of gun violence with IMPUNITY, and so often for far more than JUST self-defence. Have you watched an '80' Hollywood action movie, or a Quentin Tarantino movie lately?

26 minutes ago, Patine said:

Ah, so you don't believe this aspect of American media and culture I'm referring to AT ALL influences young and developing minds watching this crap (ad nosium) on television, in movies, and on the Internet, who then, MAYBE, might grow to think that the clichés and tropes in these media forms are appropriate ways to settle problems and "get back" at people you don't like, and that this might be part of what's on their minds when they became mass shooters, or make armed robberies, are join gun-toting gangs or anti-government militias?

Next you'll be telling me DnD is turning people into satanists :P.

6 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Next you'll be telling me DnD is turning people into satanists :P.

No, I wouldn't say that at all, because the ONLY associations EVER made between D&D and Satanism were by so-called "Christian" Dominionists/Fundamentalists in the 1980's - there's actually no logical connections in the game itself. Plus, D&D is traditionally a narrative game where you create most of your own imagery in your head. The violent media I'm referring to is different in both areas - it's visual in it's own right, and it's connection to the attitudes and mentalities behind gun crimes is obvious. Denial of the effects on developing minds would be a ploy of PR and self-serving ulterior motives by those who profit from the phenomenon - the makers of the violent media itself, gun manufacturers - who care as little about the deaths caused by their product as tobacco companies, so long as the profits roll in - and even sensationalist newscasters and others who benefit from gun violence, or enabling it, in some way.

20 minutes ago, Patine said:

That's one study (I can't discern a bias or outside influences from the article itself), but a well-respected study in the University of Alberta, here in Edmonton, which has one of the top-rated psychology faculties and research centres in the world in the psychology field, came up with very different results.

The supreme court also held like the study I cited as did division 46 of the APA.

The supreme court also held like the study I cited as did division 46 of the APA.

Well, the U.S. Supreme Court has lost all credential and respect with me AT LEAST since the vile, plutocratic, and treasonous to the common people and voters of the nation Citizens United ruling, to be honest.

On 2018-03-28 at 6:48 PM, NYrepublican said:

By that logic Switzerland should be a hellhole of gun violence but they haven't had a shooting since 2001.

Okay, context. Everyone in Switzerland who is allowed to carry firearms is military trained, and those drafted must legally carry their arms nearby. Mentally unstable and criminals are not allowed to own firearms. At all. It has stricter firearm controls than the US has had in any point in it's existence. So really not a flattering example for your cause. If we adopt the Swiss approach, we require military training to purchase, own, or carry a firearm, and put into place military level background checks, psych evals, and registries. You defeated your own point with this example. Try a different nation.

2 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

Okay, context. Everyone in Switzerland who is allowed to carry firearms is military trained, and those drafted must legally carry their arms nearby. Mentally unstable and criminals are not allowed to own firearms. At all. It has stricter firearm controls than the US has had in any point in it's existence. So really not a flattering example for your cause. If we adopt the Swiss approach, we require military training to purchase, own, or carry a firearm, and put into place military level background checks, psych evals, and registries. You defeated your own point with this example. Try a different nation.

Serbia

1 minute ago, LokiLoki22 said:

Perhaps Libya, Somalia, or Syria would have been better examples, @NYrepublican, where, in most parts, the complete lack of government infrastructure and rule of law means that gun laws are practically irrelevant, and carrying assault rifles is not only common, but considered common sense by the perspective of most living in those areas.

Just now, Patine said:

Perhaps Libya, Somalia, or Syria would have been better examples, @NYrepublican, where, in most parts, the complete lack of government infrastructure and rule of law means that gun laws are practically irrelevant, and carrying assault rifles is not only common, but considered common sense by the perspective of most living in those areas.

That'd be good advice even in some parts of the US like some parts of the city like one place in Queens where monday night 20 cars were broken into and destroyed,nothing stolen.

That'd be good advice even in some parts of the US like some parts of the city like one place in Queens where monday night 20 cars were broken into and destroyed,nothing stolen.

So shooting vandals on sight is now justified, is it? Any other Judge Dredd-esque changes to the law enforcement and justice scheme you think need to be made?

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

So shooting vandals on sight is now justified, is it? Any other Judge Dredd-esque changes to the law enforcement and justice scheme you think need to be made?

It was just the latest crime story I read so it was the first to come to mind.

39 minutes ago, Patine said:

Well if they're armed,vandalizing your property and they're likely to attack you yes.

48 minutes ago, Patine said:

That'd be an ideal state for the US.

Just now, NewAnarchist said:

That'd be an ideal state for the US.

What?

3 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Well if they're armed,vandalizing your property and they're likely to attack you yes.

You know that hard Mosaic/Torah law that says you are permitted to kill an intruder of your property on sight without question is not a guaranteed legal defense or precedent in most First World nations, or even many U.S. States.

You know that hard Mosaic/Torah law that says you are permitted to kill an intruder of your property on sight without question is not a guaranteed legal defense or precedent in most First World nations, or even many U.S. States.

Actually it is in many places like Texas which has a stand your ground law.

Actually it is in many places like Texas which has a stand your ground law.

I said MANY U.S. States, not ALL. And you don't live in Texas, Florida, Arizona, Alabama, or other States that produce such laws. Or have you moved recently?

I said MANY U.S. States, not ALL. And you don't live in Texas, Florida, Arizona, Alabama, or other States that produce such laws. Or have you moved recently?

It is also in England,Wales,Ireland,The Czech republican and Germany

It is also in England,Wales,Ireland,The Czech republican and Germany

Again, did I say ALL? And New York State is still conspicuous by it's absence from the list...

Again, did I say ALL? And New York State is still conspicuous by it's absence from the list...

NY State laws says that they only have a duty to retreat if they feel it can be safely done which wouldn't apply in the case cited above.