270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Building a Good Presidential Cabinet

I think the following cabinet would, on the whole, be better than anything Trump, Clinton, Sanders, Cruz, or Kasich would create. If the cabinet creation was my job, I would try to aim for something like this. I allow for some token Republicans (both with high integrity and high competence). Unlike most Democratic cabinets, it isn't NY dominated. While, I wasn't considering diversity when creating the list, I was surprised to find that this cabinet would be the most diverse--racially, gender, age, sexual orientation, and in religion. What kind of cabinet would you make?

State:  Amb. Jon Huntsman (UT) *Republican*

Treasury: Rep. Lloyd Doggett (TX)

Defense: Rep. Seth Moulton (MA)

Attorney General: Sen. Amy Klobuchar (MN)

Agriculture: Rep. Collin Peterson (MN)

Commerce: Sen. Cory Booker (NJ)

Homeland Security: Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA)

Interior: Sen. Tom Udall (NM)

Health and Human Sciences: Sen. Bernie Sanders (VT)

Veteran Affairs: Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (HI)

Housing and Urban Dev: Sen. Jack Reed (RI)

Transportation: Sen. Susan Collins (ME) *Republican*

Education: Rep. Jared Polis (CO)

Labor: Sen. Sherrod Brown (OH)

Energy: Rep. Raul Grijalva (AZ)

Peace: Fmr Rep. Dennis Kucinich (OH) *New Creation*

UN Ambassador: Sen. Elizabeth Warren (MA)

Nat. Sec. Adviser: Jake Sullivan (DC)

Chief of Staff: Jason Kander (MO)

Trade Rep: Rep. Gwen Moore (WI)

Dir Nat. Intel.: Sen. Kamala Harris (CA)

Dir. Off. Mgmt. Budget: Fred Hochberg (NY)

Dir. CIA: Jeh Johnson (NY)

Adm. EPA: Rep. Marcia Fudge (OH)

Adm Small Businesses: Maria Contreras-Sweet (CA)

22 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think the following cabinet would, on the whole, be better than anything Trump, Clinton, Sanders, Cruz, or Kasich would create. If the cabinet creation was my job, I would try to aim for something like this. I allow for some token Republicans (both with high integrity and high competence). Unlike most Democratic cabinets, it isn't NY dominated. While, I wasn't considering diversity when creating the list, I was surprised to find that this cabinet would be the most diverse--racially, gender, age, sexual orientation, and in religion. What kind of cabinet would you make?

No politicians. No beneficiaries of campaign or political favours. No nepotistic appointment. ONLY appoint highly achieved and professional individuals in the field covered by the post, chosen for competence, achievement, and verified and backable advancement in the field, NOT for political reasons. That would be my ideal. Same with Federal judges, in fact.

State:  Joe Biden(D)

Treasury:Jeff Merkley(D)

Defense: Wesley Clark(D)

Attorney General:  Adam Schiff(D)

Agriculture:  Deb Fischer(R)

Commerce: Elizabeth Warren(D)

Homeland Security: General Samuel Locklear

Interior: Kristen Gillibrand(D)

Health and Human Sciences: Julian Castro(D)

Veteran Affairs: Tammy Duckworth(D)

Housing and Urban Dev:Bill De Blasio(D)  

Transportation: Greg Abott(R)

Education: Bernie Sanders(I) 

Labor: Raul Grijalva(D)

Energy: Jerry Brown()D

UN Ambassador: Jon Huntsman(R)

Nat. Sec. Adviser: John Kerry(D)

Chief of Staff: Van Jones

14 hours ago, Patine said:

No politicians. No beneficiaries of campaign or political favours. No nepotistic appointment. ONLY appoint highly achieved and professional individuals in the field covered by the post, chosen for competence, achievement, and verified and backable advancement in the field, NOT for political reasons. That would be my ideal. Same with Federal judges, in fact.

That would be ideal, but I think that would only work if Congress was overwhelmingly Democrat. I purposely made mine legislative heavy, since they'd know best how to get reform through Congress. My goal would be to enact as much reform as possible, even if it is only 60% in the direction that I'd prefer it (Since it will be impossible to get exactly what you and I would want, as we aren't a dictatorship). Obviously, I would pick the congress people that were 1) Progressive, 2) Competent, 3) and least liable to corruption and scandal. Puritanism, whether conservative or liberal, doesn't work in national governance. Reagan's legacy is about 40% liberal, because he wanted to get at least 60% of what he wanted through Congress. He allowed 40%, rather than allow for a resistance that could block most of what he wanted to do. I think with progressive reform, you have a much harder wall to climb over, which means you need all the help you can get. A cabinet of experienced, well-meaning, progressive legislators, are going to devise reform with the legislature automatically in mind. In theory, they'll know how to operate their department and use their influence to get laws proposes and passed in both Houses. 

@vcczar This will be fun.

State: Ambassador to Pakistan David Hale

Treasury: member of the Federal Reserve Board of Governor's Lael Brainard

Defense: Fmr Senator Jim Webb (VA)

Attorney General: Gov. Steve Bullock (MT)

Agriculture: Rep. Cheri Bustos (IL)

Homeland Security: Rep. William Hurd (TX)

Interior: Sen. Tom Udall (NM)[Fun fact: his father held this post at one point]

Veteran Affairs: Rep. Seth Moulten 

Housing and Urban Dev: Mayor Eric Garcetti (CA)

Transportation: Gov Charlie Baker (MA) 

Education: Rep. Raul Grijalva (AZ)

Labor: AFL-CIO leader Richard Trumka

2 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

State: Ambassador to Pakistan David Hale

Treasury: member of the Federal Reserve Board of Governor's Lael Brainard

Defense: Fmr Senator Jim Webb (VA)

Attorney General: Gov. Steve Bullock (MT)

Agriculture: Rep. Cheri Bustos (IL)

Homeland Security: Rep. William Hurd (TX)

Interior: Sen. Tom Udall (NM)[Fun fact: his father held this post at one point]

Veteran Affairs: Rep. Seth Moulten 

Housing and Urban Dev: Mayor Eric Garcetti (CA)

Transportation: Gov Charlie Baker (MA) 

Education: Rep. Raul Grijalva (AZ)

Labor: AFL-CIO leader Richard Trumka

Just a note on a side issue - as strangely this part of being an actual ambassador, especially in the modern day and age, is somewhat hit and miss, and often completely overlooked as a requirement by many nations for their ambassadors - does David Hale fluently speak Urdu? I know that Jon Huntsman, jr. and George H.W. Bush, both who have been Ambassadors to China (I think Huntsman currently is) are fluent in Mandarin Chinese, and the tragically late J. Christopher Stevens was fluent in Arabic (albeit in Arabian Peninsula dialects, but made himself understood quite well in Libya). Many other American (and other major powers) ambassadors have been sent in without knowing a word of the local language and entirely dependent on translators and "cultural aides."

10 hours ago, Patine said:

Just a note on a side issue - as strangely this part of being an actual ambassador, especially in the modern day and age, is somewhat hit and miss, and often completely overlooked as a requirement by many nations for their ambassadors - does David Hale fluently speak Urdu? I know that Jon Huntsman, jr. and George H.W. Bush, both who have been Ambassadors to China (I think Huntsman currently is) are fluent in Mandarin Chinese, and the tragically late J. Christopher Stevens was fluent in Arabic (albeit in Arabian Peninsula dialects, but made himself understood quite well in Libya). Many other American (and other major powers) ambassadors have been sent in without knowing a word of the local language and entirely dependent on translators and "cultural aides."

I'm entirely sure. His resume is rather impressive: ambassador to Jordan, Middle East Peace, and Lebanon. He also was an Assistant Sec of State for Israel/Palestine at one point. And resume alone is why I picked him. But excellent point. I wouldn't doubt he is proficient in Arabic(one of the dialects), or Urdu.

State: Mr. Dennis Prager (R-NY)

Treasury: Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)

Defense: Gen. James Mattis (I-WA)

Attorney General: Rep. Ken Buck (R-CO)

Agriculture: Gov. Sam Brownback (R-KS)

Commerce: Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY)

Homeland Security: Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-CT)

Interior: Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-MN)

Health and Human Sciences: Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)

Veteran Affairs: Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA)

Housing and Urban Dev: Dr. Ben Carson (R-MD)

Transportation: Dr. Alan Keyes (R-IL)

Education: Mrs. Betsy DeVos (R-MI)

Labor: Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI)

Energy: Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX)

UN Ambassador: Gov. Nikki Haley (R-SC)

Nat. Sec. Adviser: Prof. Michael Scheuer (R-VA)

Chief of Staff: Gov. Rick Scott (R-FL)

Trade Rep: Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI)

Dir Nat. Intel.: Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ)

Dir. Off. Mgmt. Rep. Dave Brat (R-VA)

Dir. CIA: Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC)

Adm. EPA: AG Scott Pruit (R-OK)

Adm Small Businesses: Mrs. Linda McMahon (R-CT)

11 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Chief of Staff: Gov. Gregg Abbot (R-TX)

This might be the scariest cabinet I've ever seen cobbled together. On a functional note, I'm wonder if Greg Abbott could be Chief of Staff. That job requires a lot of running around, maneuvering around people, etc. It's probably the most physically exertive position on this list. 

15 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Chief of Staff: Gov. Gregg Abbot (R-TX)

At least you didn't put Scott Walker as Labour Secretary. Then again, I think as Trade Representative, he can still stick it good to the working man, just in different ways.

@vcczar Although, personally, though I don't think I know enough about enough prominent Americans who'd likely qualify for such a list, to make such a list, I'd abolish the international criminals and government funded and supported band of international terrorists that are the CIA, and the Bush-created secret police that are the Department of Homeland Security entirely and utterly, and might only put individuals there whose purpose was to facilitate the dismantlement, dissolution, and disarming of the groups, like Gorbachev assigned Vadim Bakatin, the last Chairman of the KGB, to do just that in 1990.

3 hours ago, Patine said:

At least you didn't put Scott Walker as Labour Secretary. Then again, I think as Trade Representative, he can still stick it good to the working man, just in different ways.

@vcczar Although, personally, though I don't think I know enough about enough prominent Americans who'd likely qualify for such a list, to make such a list, I'd abolish the international criminals and government funded and supported band of international terrorists that are the CIA, and the Bush-created secret police that are the Department of Homeland Security entirely and utterly, and might only put individuals there whose purpose was to facilitate the dismantlement, dissolution, and disarming of the groups, like Gorbachev assigned Vadim Bakatin, the last Chairman of the KGB, to do just that in 1990.

If that occurred with the US, I would hope that the fallout of such a peaceful process would prove peaceful. I think flat out dismantling it might indirectly cause close to as much harm as having it, at least globally. It would have to be a gradual reduction, I think. 

@Reagan04 Speaking of the CIA, I looked up this Mark Meadows you put in charge of one of the most evil institutions created in the post-WW2 world. I don't see anything in his Wikipedia article that indicates what qualifications you see for a master of spies, assassins, and political saboteours and secretive promoters of tyranny and oppression abroad and domestically. He strikes me as a generic, run-of-the-mill social conservative political "drone vote" in the House of Representatives who brings nothing new to the table. I did notice he voted against renewing the Violence Against Women Act and passed the buck on the reason for such a mysogenist stance to the will of his constituents in "God's country." One has to wonder what pagan, pre-Christian, savage, barbaric, brutal, horrid god of elder days presides over the country he speaks of. Probably one who demands the sacrifice of virgins commonly and has his temples financed by temple prostitution, and other things demanded by such awful, old gods before the Word of Christ began spreading.

5 hours ago, Patine said:

I was going back and forth for those.

8 hours ago, vcczar said:

This might be the scariest cabinet I've ever seen cobbled together. On a functional note, I'm wonder if Greg Abbott could be Chief of Staff. That job requires a lot of running around, maneuvering around people, etc. It's probably the most physically exertive position on this list. 

Good point, I'd also think that Gov. Rick Scott (R-FL) would be a Good Chief of Staff.

57 minutes ago, Patine said:

@Reagan04 Speaking of the CIA, I looked up this Mark Meadows you put in charge of one of the most evil institutions created in the post-WW2 world. 

I think the CIA should be seriously declawed, he is a leading member of the Freedom Caucus and shares that same view.

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I think the CIA should be seriously declawed, he is a leading member of the Freedom Caucus and shares that same view.

I think I would put Ron Paul in that position. He'd likely get the job done a lot faster while causing less trouble with it along the way than most others I can think of... :P

23 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I was going back and forth for those.

Good point, I'd also think that Gov. Rick Scott (R-FL) would be a Good Chief of Staff.

Rick Scott would be the right type of personality and physique for this position. Although, generally the Chief of Staff isn't someone that has already held a real executive position. Yet, it might be the right kind of move, since an executive should know what an executive needs, so long as the executive types (Pres & Ch of Staff) are similar. 

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Rick Scott would be the right type of personality and physique for this position. Although, generally the Chief of Staff isn't someone that has already held a real executive position. Yet, it might be the right kind of move, since an executive should know what an executive needs, so long as the executive types (Pres & Ch of Staff) are similar. 

I don't know. Rick Scott's initial electoral victory as Governor of Florida in 2010 struck me as a manipulative, deceitful, and conniving "snake oil salesman" campaign, where he focused on the campaign trail almost exclusively on creating new jobs, a real issue at the time, and then in his first terms created only minimal jobs compared to what was promised (and possible), and cut a lot of government jobs which weren't made up for by private sector jobs, but focused as an OBVIOUSLY higher priority of legislation on stymying same-sex marriage and abortion in the State, which he BARELY touched upon on the campaign trail, thus likely through calculated deceit and manipulation got the votes of a lot of people who had no interest or support for his social agendas that became the dominant focus but voted for him hoping for jobs instead.

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't know. Rick Scott's initial electoral victory as Governor of Florida in 2010 struck me as a manipulative, deceitful, and conniving "snake oil salesman" campaign, where he focused on the campaign trail almost exclusively on creating new jobs, a real issue at the time, and then in his first terms created only minimal jobs compared to what was promised (and possible), and cut a lot of government jobs which weren't made up for by private sector jobs, but focused as an OBVIOUSLY higher priority of legislation on stymying same-sex marriage and abortion in the State, which he BARELY touched upon on the campaign trail, thus likely through calculated deceit and manipulation got the votes of a lot of people who had no interest or support for his social agendas that became the dominant focus but voted for him hoping for jobs instead.

I'm not arguing his competency or intentions as a governor. Policy-wise I do not support Scott in the least. My statement was restricted to his physical and mental ability of being a chief of staff, ideology not considered. 

On 3/17/2018 at 9:25 PM, Reagan04 said:

Love the Ron Paul for Treasury pick

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:25 AM, Reagan04 said:

Love seeing 2 great politicians from Kentucky on the list.

On 3/14/2018 at 10:01 PM, vcczar said:

I think you have WAY too many sitting Senators and Representatives, not to mention many of them wouldn't accept these positions...

On 3/19/2018 at 9:34 PM, jvikings1 said:

Love seeing 2 great politicians from Kentucky on the list.

And they're great for their positions!

Not doing all of them, just the ones I can think of a good one for

State: former Sen. Russ Feingold (WI)

Treasury: Sen. Sherrod Brown (OH)

Agriculture: Rep. Julian Castro (TX)

Commerce: Sen. Elizabeth Warren (MA)

Interior: Gov. John Hickenlooper

Health and Human Sciences: Sen. Jeff Merkley

Veteran Affairs: Sen. Tammy Duckworth (IL)

Housing and Urban Dev: Mayor Pete Buttigieg (IN)

Transportation: John Wisniewski (NJ)

Education: Zephyr Teachout

Labor: Robert Reich

Energy: Rep. Bill Foster (IL)

Adm. EPA: Bill McKibben 

On 3/21/2018 at 11:48 PM, jnewt said:

I think you have WAY too many sitting Senators and Representatives, not to mention many of them wouldn't accept these positions...

I am not concerned with the number of Senators and Reps. I mentioned in the thread my reasons for doing so. Obviously, some of these might not accept, but this is my initial list.