270soft Forum
vcczar

US Presidential History RP

I was thinking of starting a RP based on presidential history. Each person willing to partake would create a character. Each character will have a short-term and long-term goal. Those wishing to be president will run for the presidency. Those that are elected president will confront the historical and created events of their time. Those not currently president will serve as advisers, allies, and opposing politicians. The game would start with the 1788 election. I will serve as game master. 

If you wish to partake, fill out the following:

Name: As it is 1788 America, pick an English given name and English surname. You CANNOT be a real historical person. You can retire your character and create new ones as the years progress. New eras will allow new kinds of names for National Politics. If you wish to be a member of a state's ruling class, you could pick from one of the dynasties--- Massachusetts (Dana, Lowell, Adams, Trowbridge, Jackson, Winthrop, Dudley), Connecticut (Wolcott, Huntington), Delware (Rodney), Georgia (Walton), Maryland (Carroll), New Hampshire (Gilman, Wentworth), New Jersey (Dayton, Stockton), New York (Duane, Lewis, Livingston, Van Rensselaeur), North Carolina (Blount), Pennsylvania (Mifflin, Morris, Rush, Penn), Rhode Island (Ellery), South Carolina (Butler, Pinckney, Rutledge), Virginia (Bland, Harrison, Lee, Randolph). 

State: What state will your character come from? You must come from one of the 13 original colonies. 

Political Party: Federalist (pro-Constitution) or Anti-Federalist (anti-Constitution/pro-articles of Confederation) or Independent (undecided or not passionate either way). Your party may affect how popular you are in your own state. 

Age:  How old is your candidate? Candidate must be at least 25. 

Current Profession: US President, US Congressman, US Senator, US Supreme Court are not options

Short-term goal: Pick one of the following for a short term goal--(something you hope to become in the first year of the RP)

• Become President
  • Become VP
  • Become a state governor
  • Become a US Senator
  • Become Senate majority or minority leader
  • Becomes a US Rep
  • Becomes Speaker of House minority leader
  • Becomes Chief Justice
  • Become Assoc Justice
  • Become Sec of State, Sec of Treasury, Sec of War, Attorney General
  • Become an influential adviser unattached to the government

Long-term goal: This long term goal should come from the short-term goal list. 

Background: Tell us a brief history of your character. Include a physical and personal description, including a personality analysis. 

Example:

Name: Dudley Winthrop

State: MA

Political Party: Federalist

Current Profession: Merchant and lawyer; former one-term member of the Congress of the Confederation. 

Short term goal: To become Sec of the Treasury for the first president. 

Long term goal: To become President

Background: Dudley Winthrop is descended from several aristocratic families in Massachusetts. As he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, in a state run by men of wealth and good breeding, Winthrop has effortlessly entered politics. His name alone warrants respect and authority. However, he is inwardly jealous, insecure, and any success that he has can be attributed to the men he has hired. His real knowledge of economics, commerce, and legal matters is rather rudimentary. He is Harvard educated, but he was rarely present for classes. Money bought his diploma. Despite all this, he has the ambition of a great man. Can Dudley Winthrop clutch the Treasury Department by virtue of his breeding? Can he buy his way to the Presidency? 

@Patine @Reagan04 @jvikings1 @Conservative Elector 2 @Kingthero @Lyly @thr33 @Wiw @WVProgressive @TheLiberalKitten @Sunnymentoaddict @SeanFKennedy @Presidentinsertname @CalebsParadox @Sandy @lok1999 @LokiLoki22 @SirLagsalott @NYrepublican @ThePotatoWalrus @pilight @jnewt @LegolasRedbard @avatarmushi @victorraiders @Bruce Fischer @vcczar @michaelsdiamonds @European Qoheleth (SANC) @MysteryKnight @TheMiddlePolitical @quakercane 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I was thinking of starting a RP based on presidential history. Each person willing to partake would create a character. Each character will have a short-term and long-term goal. Those wishing to be president will run for the presidency. Those that are elected president will confront the historical and created events of their time. Those not currently president will serve as advisers, allies, and opposing politicians. The game would start with the 1788 election. I will serve as game master. 

If you wish to partake, fill out the following:

Name: As it is 1788 America, pick an English given name and English surname. You CANNOT be a real historical person. You can retire your character and create new ones as the years progress. New eras will allow new kinds of names for National Politics. If you wish to be a member of a state's ruling class, you could pick from one of the dynasties--- Massachusetts (Dana, Lowell, Adams, Trowbridge, Jackson, Winthrop, Dudley), Connecticut (Wolcott, Huntington), Delware (Rodney), Georgia (Walton), Maryland (Carroll), New Hampshire (Gilman, Wentworth), New Jersey (Dayton, Stockton), New York (Duane, Lewis, Livingston, Van Rensselaeur), North Carolina (Blount), Pennsylvania (Mifflin, Morris, Rush, Penn), Rhode Island (Ellery), South Carolina (Butler, Pinckney, Rutledge), Virginia (Bland, Harrison, Lee, Randolph). 

State: What state will your character come from? You must come from one of the 13 original colonies. 

Political Party: Federalist (pro-Constitution) or Anti-Federalist (anti-Constitution/pro-articles of Confederation) or Independent (undecided or not passionate either way). Your party may affect how popular you are in your own state. 

Age:  How old is your candidate? Candidate must be at least 25. 

Current Profession: US President, US Congressman, US Senator, US Supreme Court are not options

Short-term goal: Pick one of the following for a short term goal--(something you hope to become in the first year of the RP)

• Become President
  • Become VP
  • Become a state governor
  • Become a US Senator
  • Become Senate majority or minority leader
  • Becomes a US Rep
  • Becomes Speaker of House minority leader
  • Becomes Chief Justice
  • Become Assoc Justice
  • Become Sec of State, Sec of Treasury, Sec of War, Attorney General
  • Become an influential adviser unattached to the government

Long-term goal: This long term goal should come from the short-term goal list. 

Background: Tell us a brief history of your character. Include a physical and personal description, including a personality analysis. 

Example:

Name: Dudley Winthrop

State: MA

Current Profession: Merchant and lawyer; former one-term member of the Congress of the Confederation. 

Short term goal: To become Sec of the Treasury for the first president. 

Background: Dudley Winthrop is descended from several aristocratic families in Massachusetts. As he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, in a state run by men of wealth and good breeding, Winthrop has effortlessly entered politics. His name alone warrants respect and authority. However, he is inwardly jealous, insecure, and any success that he has can be attributed to the men he has hired. His real knowledge of economics, commerce, and legal matters is rather rudimentary. He is Harvard educated, but he was rarely present for classes. Money bought his diploma. Despite all this, he has the ambition of a great man. Can Dudley Winthrop clutch the Treasury Department by virtue of his breeding? Can he buy his way to the Presidency? 

@Patine @Reagan04 @jvikings1 @Conservative Elector 2 @Kingthero @Lyly @thr33 @Wiw @WVProgressive @TheLiberalKitten @Sunnymentoaddict @SeanFKennedy @Presidentinsertname @CalebsParadox @Sandy @lok1999 @LokiLoki22 @SirLagsalott @NYrepublican @ThePotatoWalrus @pilight @jnewt @LegolasRedbard @avatarmushi @victorraiders @Bruce Fischer @vcczar @michaelsdiamonds @European Qoheleth (SANC) @MysteryKnight @TheMiddlePolitical @quakercane 

I feel I would be a bit of a liability in an RP-by-forum-post of any real sort, and they tend to be challenged to keep my interest and enthusiasm, regardless of the topic. This is why I haven't definitively volunteered for one and committed to one on these forums yet.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

I feel I would be a bit of a liability in an RP-by-forum-post of any real sort, and they tend to be challenged to keep my interest and enthusiasm, regardless of the topic. This is why I haven't definitively volunteered for one and committed to one on these forums yet.

Can you elaborate on why? This your chance to change history! 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Can you elaborate on why? This your chance to change history! 

I just have found such forum-based-RP's of that specific sort to only keep my interest in the short term, no matter the subject matter, and, in such a framework, dropping out in the middle lets everyone else down.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I just have found such forum-based-RP's of that specific sort to only keep my interest in the short term, no matter the subject matter, and, in such a framework, dropping out in the middle lets everyone else down.

I'd rather you drop out in the middle rather than not partake at all. However, I understand if you wish to play no role, or watch. You can join anytime. If it ceases to be entertaining, then I won't continue it. However, I hope to prove a game master that makes it worthwhile. 

@vcczar I'm interested. How's this?

Name: Jefferson Bunt

State: VA

Political Party: Independent

Current Profession: Judge 

Short term goal: To become an Assoc Justice

Background: Jefferson Bunt was born the son of Alexander Bunt a justice of the peace in Essex county and Elizabeth Watkins in Essex county. Choosing to follow in his fathers footsteps he began studying law at an early age. He is now a justice on Virginians supreme court of appeals. A stoic and reserved person he has a longing for power and is eyeing the Supreme Court as a stepping stone possibly to the presidency.

@WVProgressive very good

Name:  Rev. Richard Taylor

State:  Virginia

Political Party: Federalist (Would soon become Democratic-Republican as I only favor the Constitution with the Bill of Rights) 

Current Profession: Southern Baptist Preacher

Short-term goal: Become a Leader in Congress, Senator or Congressman

Long-term goal:   President or SCOTUS

Background:  Reverend Taylor was educated at William and Mary and received top of his class grades for Theology. He swiftly became a Preacher and has become known throughout the state of Virginia, even into the surrounding Carolinas and Maryland for his fiery sermons. He is an outward and vivacious person that controls a room with his charisma, he also is notoriously hard on himself and completed devoted to his faith life. Can this devotion be directed to the people? Can he become a well-known leader in Congress and then serve at a higher position?

@vcczar

50 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Name:  Rev. Richard Taylor

State:  Virginia

Political Party: Federalist (Would soon become Democratic-Republican as I only favor the Constitution with the Bill of Rights) 

Current Profession: Southern Baptist Preacher

Short-term goal: Become a Leader in Congress, Senator or Congressman

Long-term goal:   President or SCOTUS

Background:  Reverend Taylor was educated at William and Mary and received top of his class grades for Theology. He swiftly became a Preacher and has become known throughout the state of Virginia, even into the surrounding Carolinas and Maryland for his fiery sermons. He is an outward and vivacious person that controls a room with his charisma, he also is notoriously hard on himself and completed devoted to his faith life. Can this devotion be directed to the people? Can he become a well-known leader in Congress and then serve at a higher position?

@vcczar

Ah, c'mon @Reagan04, live a little! Step outside of your comfort zone a bit, like a skilled actor. This is an RP, not reality... :P

Name:Timothy Stockton

State:New Jersey

Political Party:Federalist

Current Profession:Lawyer

Short term goal:Influential Adviser

Long term goal:POTUS

Name: Alexander William Blount

State: NC

Current Profession: Administrator of the family farms 

Short term goal: To become a US Senator

Long term goal: To become Vice President

Background: Alexander Blount was born into an old aristocratic family from North Carolina. Their origins go back to Old England. After completing a degree in theology at Harvard University he works as the administrator of his family's farms and is well respected throughout the State of North Carolina. Can this young and charismatic man become a successful politician running on a conservative but restrained agenda?

Name: William Isaiah Thackeray.

State: SC

Current Profession:Merchant in Charleston specializing in the rice market.

Short term goal: To become a US Senator

Long term goal: To become  President

Background: Born into a family that can trace its lineage to the Yorkshire region of the English kingdom, William Isaiah grew up in modest household. During the later end of the Revolutionary war, he fought at the battle of Cowpens-insuring British rule of South Carolina would be no more. Returning home, he inherited the family general goods store, and began specializing on the exporting of rice (and other luxoury items such as indigo) to the new markets in available in Europe. Will his insight from one of the wealthiest cities in the nation guide him to the highest office in the land?

Good work guys. @Rodja didn't type out a background for his character, so we don't know much about him. I'm going to wait a couple of days and hope some more people join. The first thing that will occur will be the presidential election of 1788. 

Timothy Stocktons Background: 

He was born in a very rich merchant family.Inherited buisness as soon as he was 16,and made it grow behind his ancestors limits.He took part in the Boston Tea Party together with workers.His employees have only good words for him as he is behaving just like a common man.He financialy helped American Revolutionary War but havent fought in it himself.Will this untypicial biography be crowned with the highest office in the land?

@vcczar Is it good written?

8 minutes ago, Rodja said:

Timothy Stocktons Background: 

He was born in a very rich merchant family.Inherited buisness as soon as he was 16,and made it grow behind his ancestors limits.He took part in the Boston Tea Party together with workers.His employees have only good words for him as he is behaving just like a common man.He financialy helped American Revolutionary War but havent fought in it himself.Will this untypicial biography be crowned with the highest office in the land?

@vcczar Is it good written?

Yeah, it's understandable, and it provides us some background. Thanks. 

Name: Theodore Penn

State: Pennsylvania

Political Party: Federalist

Profession: Surveyor

Short Term Goal: Become a U.S. Rep/House Leadership

Long Term Goal: Become a U.S. Senator/Senate Leadership

Background: Born in Philadelphia, Theodore Penn grew up with an accelerated knowledge in history and science. He loves helping people, and he loved geography, so he took the job as surveyor to provide the local governments with helpful information as how to distribute land. Penn's interest in politics came after the end of the American Revolution, as he saw his chance to greater help his country. He supported a unified Government, and thought that the Articles of Confederation were too weak. Penn's main goal would be to advance in the congressional ranks and be influential in land policies, as that was his beloved skillset.

12 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

Name: Theodore Penn

State: South Carolina

Political Party: Federalist

Profession: Surveyor

Short Term Goal: Become a U.S. Rep/House Leadership

Long Term Goal: Become a U.S. Senator/Senate Leadership

Background: Born in Philadelphia, Theodore Penn grew up with an accelerated knowledge in history and science. He loves helping people, and he loved geography, so he took the job as surveyor to provide the local governments with helpful information as how to distribute land. Penn's interest in politics came after the end of the American Revolution, as he saw his chance to greater help his country. He supported a unified Government, and thought that the Articles of Confederation were too weak. Penn's main goal would be to advance in the congressional ranks and be influential in land policies, as that was his beloved skillset.

Just confirming that you meant for Theodore Penn of Philadelphia to reside in South Carolina. 

I'd like to get at least 5 more people. 

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

Just confirming that you meant for Theodore Penn of Philadelphia to reside in South Carolina. 

Pennsylvania* Idk why I typed South Carolina.

2 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

Pennsylvania* Idk why I typed South Carolina.

Ok, that's what I thought. 

Just for comic effect, I will play as the bumbling but wealthy Dudley Winthrop, but I won't play any major factor in any decisions. I'll wait one more day to see if anyone wants to join. Either late Thursday or late Friday is when we will start. 

My apologies. I have to create an entire course from scratch and have it ready in two weeks. I'll probably have to delay this until then, unless I get on a roll. 

Two weeks will be perfect. Work responsibilities over the next few weeks are all that prevented me from joining right away. But, if it's going to be a delay, I will be able to join. I'll make a character and submit soon.

1 hour ago, michaelsdiamonds said:

Two weeks will be perfect. Work responsibilities over the next few weeks are all that prevented me from joining right away. But, if it's going to be a delay, I will be able to join. I'll make a character and submit soon.

Excellent!

Name: John Harper

State: Virginia

Political Party: Independent

Current Profession: Lawyer

Short-term goal: State governor

Long-term goal:  President or Senate Maj. Leader

Background: John Harper was born in a middle class family. He quickly rose up ranks from working hard and reading books. Graduating college from Yale University, he became a lawyer, and gained a large fortune. A veteran who fought in the revolutionary war, he is known as a hero in his hometown. He is articulate and a good speaker. Ideologically, he stands for small government, low taxes, free trade, and is not very religious.