270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NYrepublican

NY-14 congressional election 2018

Joe Crowley who heads New York's congressional delegation in the house and controls the Queens Democratic party and is a potential candidate for house speaker is facing a serious primary challenge from community organizer Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who's been endorsed by many progressive groups. To say that Crowley has more money than her is an understatement,depsite this she's pulling off a tough challenge thanks to her community roots. In the midst of all this the Queens Republican party has nominated St. John’s University economics professor and Astoria resident Anthony Pappas to take on Joe Crowley. Will Joe Crowley be unseated in the primary?Or can the Republicans pull off an upset in this liberal district? This comes one year after his cousin Elizabeth Crowley lost her re-election campaign in District 30(Queens) to Robert Holden. 

@Patine @Reagan04 @jvikings1 @Conservative Elector 2 @Kingthero @Lyly @thr33 @Wiw @WVProgressive @TheLiberalKitten @Sunnymentoaddict @SeanFKennedy @Presidentinsertname @CalebsParadox @Sandy @lok1999 @LokiLoki22 @SirLagsalott @NYrepublican @ThePotatoWalrus @pilight @jnewt @LegolasRedbard @avatarmushi @victorraiders @Bruce Fischer @vcczar @michaelsdiamonds @European Qoheleth (SANC) @MysteryKnight @TheMiddlePolitical @quakercane 

7 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Joe Crowley who heads New York's congressional delegation in the house and controls the Queens Democratic party and is a potential candidate for house speaker is facing a serious primary challenge from community organizer Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who's been endorsed by many progressive groups. To say that Crowley has more money than her is an understatement,depsite this she's pulling off a tough challenge thanks to her community roots. In the midst of all this the Queens Republican party has nominated St. John’s University economics professor and Astoria resident Anthony Pappas to take on Joe Crowley. Will Joe Crowley be unseated in the primary?Or can the Republicans pull off an upset in this liberal district? This comes one year after his sister Elizabeth Crowley lost her re-election campaign in District 30(Queens) to Robert Holden. 

@Patine @Reagan04 @jvikings1 @Conservative Elector 2 @Kingthero @Lyly @thr33 @Wiw @WVProgressive @TheLiberalKitten @Sunnymentoaddict @SeanFKennedy @Presidentinsertname @CalebsParadox @Sandy @lok1999 @LokiLoki22 @SirLagsalott @NYrepublican @ThePotatoWalrus @pilight @jnewt @LegolasRedbard @avatarmushi @victorraiders @Bruce Fischer @vcczar @michaelsdiamonds @European Qoheleth (SANC) @MysteryKnight @TheMiddlePolitical @quakercane 

I don't understand why you're so intent on these small-calibre and small-stakes elections, usually single pieces of bigger elections (for bigger legislative bodies, usually). Although, of course, I have no authoritarian power, and I won't jeer or try to coerce, I'd PREFER some election scenarios of a bit more scope, if you will. That would be my STRONG preference.

Just now, Patine said:

I don't understand why you're so intent on these small-calibre and small-stakes elections, usually single pieces of bigger elections (for bigger legislative bodies, usually). Although, of course, I have no authoritarian power, and I won't jeer or try to coerce, I'd PREFER some election scenarios of a bit more scope, if you will. That would be my STRONG preference.

I'm choosing this specific election because it's made headlines here.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

I'm choosing this specific election because it's made headlines here.

Funny, I didn't see a peep about it. The recent Italian Parliamentary and Czech Presidential elections are the only ones I've seen in headlines for several weeks now.

2 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Well, I have to admit, if she's condemning both major parties equally as a corrupt establishment, then she has a good start with me right there...

@Patine Why do you feel so intent on bringing other people down? @NYrepublican wants to make a scenario that he finds interesting. Who cares if it's not generating international headlines? I've noticed this more and more with you recently but you have become so ridiculously condescending. You find flaws in absolutely everything. If you aren't interested in NYRepublicans scenario, you don't have to play it. If you prefer "bigger" elections, make your own. 

21 minutes ago, mz452 said:

@Patine Why do you feel so intent on bringing other people down? @NYrepublican wants to make a scenario that he finds interesting. Who cares if it's not generating international headlines? I've noticed this more and more with you recently but you have become so ridiculously condescending. You find flaws in absolutely everything. If you aren't interested in NYRepublicans scenario, you don't have to play it. If you prefer "bigger" elections, make your own. 

Oh, this is rich. I remember back when you were a lot more active on these forums you were as mean and nasty as a box of snakes...

7 hours ago, Patine said:

He's from NYC( I think Queens to be exact) so this election will be important for him much like a provincial election for you. It may not be impactful to the globe like the Italian election, but it will impact his community.

3 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

He's from NYC( I think Queens to be exact) so this election will be important for him much like a provincial election for you. It may not be impactful to the globe like the Italian election, but it will impact his community.

That is true. Perhaps I overreacted.

9 hours ago, Patine said:

That is true. Perhaps I overreacted.

It's ok. Though @NYrepublican, what's overall make up of the Republican party in NYC? Like who would be the average republican voter in the city? I'm curious since NYC is possibly the most diverse city, and curious as to why they might be able to pick up a seat this year.

12 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

It's ok. Though @NYrepublican, what's overall make up of the Republican party in NYC? Like who would be the average republican voter in the city? I'm curious since NYC is possibly the most diverse city, and curious as to why they might be able to pick up a seat this year.

The overall makeup at least in Queens is weak. There's only one elected official Councilman Eric Ulrich (and depending on if you count Holden as a republican since he's a democrat but ran on the republican line). In Queens it's mostly location based, in the Middle village and Ozone park the republican party's pretty strong both having republican councilmen (I'm counting Holden as a republican as he was elected as such).Some northeast Queens neighborhoods are also more republican leaning than average like Bayside.In more competitive races citywide central and northeast queens become more competitive as does parts of northeast queens.Joann Ariola the new chairman is trying some new starategies this year so they might have chances of picking up some seats somewhere (most likely state,congress-wise the most likely is the historically competitive third district). The election of Holden was a big victory last year for the party.

3 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

The overall makeup at least in Queens is weak. There's only one elected official Councilman Eric Ulrich (and depending on if you count Holden as a republican since he's a democrat but ran on the republican line). In Queens it's mostly location based, in the Middle village and Ozone park the republican party's pretty strong both having republican councilmen (I'm counting Holden as a republican as he was elected as such).Some northeast Queens neighborhoods are also more republican leaning than average like Bayside.In more competitive races citywide central and northeast queens become more competitive as does parts of northeast queens.Joann Ariola the new chairman is trying some new starategies this year so they might have chances of picking up some seats somewhere (most likely state,congress-wise the most likely is the historically competitive third district). The election of Holden was a big victory last year for the party.

How about the South Queens "Projects" where the rapper 50 Cent so proudly goes on about being raised in?

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

How about the South Queens "Projects" where the rapper 50 Cent so proudly goes on about being raised in?

Pretty much the same as Northeast Queens, during the bloomberg years they were potential turnovers now I'm not sure how much they are so.

Pretty much the same as Northeast Queens, during the bloomberg years they were potential turnovers now I'm not sure how much they are so.

Does the Freedom Party of New York (the Neo-Black-Panther-clone party) get any traction there, out of curiosity?

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Does the Freedom Party of New York (the Neo-Black-Panther-clone party) get any traction there, out of curiosity?

Not really,no.

The challenger was on a nowthis video

I believe I've found her campaign announcement

o

44 minutes ago, Patine said:

Is the Arab American Institute a big endorser, or are you trying to illustrate another "example" of your bad, conformist stereotypes you seem to hold of ALL Arabs?

It's actually pretty significant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_American_Institute

also what do you mean by the latter?

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

You've implied in the past that Arabs tend to be "sheep" voters and thinkers, but never outright directly said as much.

and when have I done so?

and when have I done so?

You'll need to give me a bit of time - 3565 posts is quite few to sort through for good examples to show my point nicely...

Big update here:

Alexandria Oscasio Cortez is officially on ballot.