270soft Forum
vcczar

Presidential Ranker Excel

I've completed the MS Excel form of a Presidential Ranker, so that you can create your own ranking of the US Presidents. This is a much, much simplified version of a project I began five years ago (It was to be a much more complex ranking system app). However, this ranker will do just about as well, even though it isn't event-by-event, decision-by-decision specific. 

I hope @admin_270 could make some use for it, or can find someone to help make it part of a website or app, rather than just an excel spreadsheet (My programming/development skills are mostly non-existent, outside MS Excel and the 270Soft Editor). 

Instructions:

1. Download the Excel document. 

2. Open the excel document. 

3. You should see all of the presidents already ranked, according to experts opinions. These are not my opinions, but they come from three different, recent presidential polls. I had to fill in some gaps with Trump, but I based them off the one ranking that has Trump in in it. 

4. You should see columns of many different colors. These are the different categories. 

5. Each category has three columns: The Rank, the Influence, the Score. 

• For Rank (left column of each color), you should plug in the following numbers to represent presidential ability (Ignore the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ranking mentioned in the excel): 
    • 5 for Great
    • 2 for Good
    • 0 for Average
    • -2 for Bad
    • -5 for Terrible
    • Alternatively, you can use any numbers to represent these terms, according to your preference. I strongly advise using negative numbers for "Bad" and "Terrible." 
  • You can also change the influence (middle column of each color) of that category to one of the following:
    • 4 for Critically Important
    • 3 for Very Important
    • 2 for Somewhat Important
    • 1 for Minor Importance
    • 0 for Not Important/I don't know
    • Alternatively, you can use any numbers to represent the category influence, according to your preference. 
    • Note: Influence of any category can also change by president. I alter some of the importance based off the era or the crisis. 
  • Lastly, you have the Score for each category (right column of each color).
    • DO NOT ALTER THIS COLUMN, since it is the calculation of your rank times the influence. 

6. A president's overall score is the calculation of all their categories scores added together. 

7. You can sort each column, including those with the president's number, name, or overall score. 

8. Have fun and please post your ranking. I'm curious how yours turns out. If you wish to keep the default ranking for future use, then make sure you save your results under a different file name. 

PresidentialRank.xlsx

I will try it later.

21 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I just happened to notice today when I tried to open a different Excel spreadsheet I downloaded from another site for another purpose that my copy of the Excel program itself has expired. I'll see if I can renew it without paying a king's ransom.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

I just happened to notice today when I tried to open a different Excel spreadsheet I downloaded from another site for another purpose that my copy of the Excel program itself has expired. I'll see if I can renew it without paying a king's ransom.

I hope you do, I'd like to see your ranking. 

No interest from the forum? Okay.

Here's what came out of the equation for me. I don't totally agree with it and I am surprised by some of the results, but I always have difficulty rating the Presidents from my political perspective, so it was an interesting exercise. I didn't modify the formula too heavily, but I tried to de-emphasize the areas I didn't know as much about, like judicial appointments, so they would impact the rating less.

#1 Lincoln
#2 Washington
#3 FDR
- large jump below top three-

#4 Roosevelt, Th.
#5 Eisenhower
#6 LBJ
#7 Obama
#8 Jefferson
#9 JFK
#10 Madison

#11 Monroe
#12 Polk
#13 Adams, J
#14 Clinton
#15 Ford
#16 McKinley
#17 Cleveland (Both Cleveland terms were next to each other in ranking, so I merged him)
#18 Truman
#19 Reagan
#20 Taft

#21 Wilson
#22 Van Buren
- negative ratings below this line -

#23 Garfield
#24 Harrison, B
#25 Grant
#26 Nixon
#27 Adams, JQ
#28 Coolidge
#29 Jackson
#30 Hayes

#31 Arthur
#32 Bush, GHW
#33 Carter
#34 Taylor
#35 Bush, GW
#36 Fillmore
#37 Harrison, WH
#38 Tyler
#39 Hoover
#40 Trump
-another large jump to the bottom four-

#41 Harding
#42 Pierce
#43 Johnson, A
#44 Buchanan

17 minutes ago, Lyly said:

Here's what came out of the equation for me. I don't totally agree with it and I am surprised by some of the results, but I always have difficulty rating the Presidents from my political perspective, so it was an interesting exercise. I didn't modify the formula too heavily, but I tried to de-emphasize the areas I didn't know as much about, like judicial appointments, so they would impact the rating less.

#1 Lincoln
#2 Washington
#3 FDR
- large jump below top three-

#4 Roosevelt, Th.
#5 Eisenhower
#6 LBJ
#7 Obama
#8 Jefferson
#9 JFK
#10 Madison

#11 Monroe
#12 Polk
#13 Adams, J
#14 Clinton
#15 Ford
#16 McKinley
#17 Cleveland (Both Cleveland terms were next to each other in ranking, so I merged him)
#18 Truman
#19 Reagan
#20 Taft

#21 Wilson
#22 Van Buren
- negative ratings below this line -

#23 Garfield
#24 Harrison, B
#25 Grant
#26 Nixon
#27 Adams, JQ
#28 Coolidge
#29 Jackson
#30 Hayes

#31 Arthur
#32 Bush, GHW
#33 Carter
#34 Taylor
#35 Bush, GW
#36 Fillmore
#37 Harrison, WH
#38 Tyler
#39 Hoover
#40 Trump
-another large jump to the bottom four-

#41 Harding
#42 Pierce
#43 Johnson, A
#44 Buchanan

Thanks for sharing! I'll post my personal ranking soon. Who's ranking surprised you the most? 

Teddy Roosevelt being ranked so highly for my list is kind of surprising, especially because I personally resent the level of Roosevelt fandom typical among these kinds of discussions. Even so, he made 4th, and right after his younger cousin at that. Obama is ranked pretty highly relative to what I would expect. I do believe that by popular American standards, Obama is going to be viewed very positively, but I don't have a lot of praise for anyone who has been President, Obama included. Ford is higher than I expected as well, even though I do admittedly have a softer spot for him than most people. The Bushes being quite so low kind of surprises me as well. I probably just need to do more research on everyone to hand-pick all the values, but overall, I am happy to have something of a list.

16 minutes ago, Lyly said:

Teddy Roosevelt being ranked so highly for my list is kind of surprising, especially because I personally resent the level of Roosevelt fandom typical among these kinds of discussions. Even so, he made 4th, and right after his younger cousin at that. Obama is ranked pretty highly relative to what I would expect. I do believe that by popular American standards, Obama is going to be viewed very positively, but I don't have a lot of praise for anyone who has been President, Obama included. Ford is higher than I expected as well, even though I do admittedly have a softer spot for him than most people. The Bushes being quite so low kind of surprises me as well. I probably just need to do more research on everyone to hand-pick all the values, but overall, I am happy to have something of a list.

I have a feeling Obama will be high on my list, not because he was that great, but because he has relatively fewer flaws in both his presidency and in his personal conduct. I'll post my list shortly. 

Here's my ranking

1. Lincoln 

[small gap]

2. FDR

[small gap]

3. ThRoosevelt

4. Washington

[small gap]

5. Jefferson

6. LBJ

7. Wilson *surprised here, considering I think that he's overrated*

[big gap]

8. Truman

9. JAdams *surprised*

10. Eisenhower

11t. Obama

11t. Jackson *surprised*

13. JFK

14. Reagan

15. Polk

16. Monroe

17. McKinley

18t. Clinton

18t. GHW Bush

[Presidents with negative points below here]

20. JQ Adams *He might actually might been potentially my favorite, but he was thwarted consistently*

21. Madison

22. Grant

23. Taft

24. Nixon 

25t. BHarrison

25t. Van Buren

27. Cleveland

28. Garfield

29. Hayes

30. Coolidge

31. Taylor

32. Ford

33. Carter

34. Arthur

35. GW Bush

36. Trump

37. WHHarrison

38. Fillmore

39. Hoover

40. Harding

41. Tyler

42. AJohnson

43. Pierce

44. Buchanan

On 3/4/2018 at 9:47 PM, vcczar said:

I've completed the MS Excel form of a Presidential Ranker, so that you can create your own ranking of the US Presidents. This is a much, much simplified version of a project I began five years ago (It was to be a much more complex ranking system app). However, this ranker will do just about as well, even though it isn't event-by-event, decision-by-decision specific. 

I hope @admin_270 could make some use for it, or can find someone to help make it part of a website or app, rather than just an excel spreadsheet (My programming/development skills are mostly non-existent, outside MS Excel and the 270Soft Editor). 

Instructions:

1. Download the Excel document. 

2. Open the excel document. 

3. You should see all of the presidents already ranked, according to experts opinions. These are not my opinions, but they come from three different, recent presidential polls. I had to fill in some gaps with Trump, but I based them off the one ranking that has Trump in in it. 

4. You should see columns of many different colors. These are the different categories. 

5. Each category has three columns: The Rank, the Influence, the Score. 

• For Rank (left column of each color), you should plug in the following numbers to represent presidential ability (Ignore the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ranking mentioned in the excel): 
    • 5 for Great
    • 2 for Good
    • 0 for Average
    • -2 for Bad
    • -5 for Terrible
    • Alternatively, you can use any numbers to represent these terms, according to your preference. I strongly advise using negative numbers for "Bad" and "Terrible." 
  • You can also change the influence (middle column of each color) of that category to one of the following:
    • 4 for Critically Important
    • 3 for Very Important
    • 2 for Somewhat Important
    • 1 for Minor Importance
    • 0 for Not Important/I don't know
    • Alternatively, you can use any numbers to represent the category influence, according to your preference. 
    • Note: Influence of any category can also change by president. I alter some of the importance based off the era or the crisis. 
  • Lastly, you have the Score for each category (right column of each color).
    • DO NOT ALTER THIS COLUMN, since it is the calculation of your rank times the influence. 

6. A president's overall score is the calculation of all their categories scores added together. 

7. You can sort each column, including those with the president's number, name, or overall score. 

8. Have fun and please post your ranking. I'm curious how yours turns out. If you wish to keep the default ranking for future use, then make sure you save your results under a different file name. 

PresidentialRank.xlsx

Man, you brutalized Carter. -5 for moral authority? -5 gut feeling, foreign policy? I disagree.

3 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

Man, you brutalized Carter. -5 for moral authority? -5 gut feeling, foreign policy? I disagree.

@LokiLoki22 I didn't brutalize him. The experts did. If you read my into, above, then you will see that these aren't MY ratings. Also, I think you misread Carter. He shouldn't have a -5 in moral authority. Gut feeling uses, "General Expert opinions" from one of the recent polls. I value Carter more than the experts do. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@LokiLoki22 I didn't brutalize him. The experts did. If you read my into, above, then you will see that these aren't MY ratings. Also, I think you misread Carter. He shouldn't have a -5 in moral authority. Gut feeling uses, "General Expert opinions" from one of the recent polls. I value Carter more than the experts do. 

I suppose, I have him 20th, but my ratings are slightly different than most. Washington is first FDR 2nd, Lincoln 3rd, Teddy, Eisenhower, Jefferson, Truman, JFK, LBJ (divisive), Obama, Monroe Polk Clinton, Jackson, J Adams, Madison, Reagan, HW Bush, Wilson, Carter, McKinley, Cleveland, Q Adams, Grand, B Harrison, Hayes, Van Buren, Ford, Garfield, Taft (fat), GW Bush, Nixon, Taylor, Arthur, WHHarrison, Hoover, Fillmore, Tyler, Harding, Trump, A Johnson, Pierce, Buchanan.

2 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

I suppose, I have him 20th, but my ratings are slightly different than most. Washington is first FDR 2nd, Lincoln 3rd, Teddy, Eisenhower, Jefferson, Truman, JFK, LBJ (divisive), Obama, Monroe Polk Clinton, Jackson, J Adams, Madison, Reagan, HW Bush, Wilson, Carter, McKinley, Cleveland, Q Adams, Grand, B Harrison, Hayes, Van Buren, Ford, Garfield, Taft (fat), GW Bush, Nixon, Taylor, Arthur, WHHarrison, Hoover, Fillmore, Tyler, Harding, Trump, A Johnson, Pierce, Buchanan.

Thanks for posting. Your list isn't too different from mine, which I posted in this thread. I valued JFK less, Clinton less, and JAdams, Nixon more. I'll probably post a more biased version of my opinion, since I still aimed to be somewhat bipartisan in my ranking, even though it was just a personal ranking. For instance, I want to crank up the peace/unity influence. 

Note that you don't need Excel to open the document. LibreOffice works just fine, and my guess is Google Docs will also.

@vcczar

I'll do this once I get around to it.  Midterms are finishing up (I have 1 more on Thursday), so I'm going to have a little more free time for a little bit leading into spring break.

23 hours ago, Patine said:

Libreoffice will do just as well.

@vcczar will do it soon.

2 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

@vcczar will do it soon.

As will I, have Lincoln and Washington done so far, working on FDR, this will take a minute

I faced some personal problems yesterday so I don't think to have time to do this in the near future.

Been a way for the past 2 days. Awesome job with the ranking formula @vcczar I will definitely throw mine in this weekend.

r

This seems like a very interesting project. It might take me quite awhile since I'm going to need to spend a lot of time on the requisite reading to complete this, but I would like to take a stab at it.

1. George Washington - 305
  2. Ronald Reagan - 303
  3. Thomas Jefferson - 246
  4. Calvin Coolidge - 201
  5. Dwight Eisenhower -151
  6. Andrew Jackson - 146
  7. William McKinley -140 (Tie broke by personal opinion)
  8. George W. Bush - 140 (See above)
  9. Abraham Lincoln - 126
  10. James Polk -109
  11. Richard Nixon - 104
  12. James Monroe -78
  13. John F. Kennedy - 76 (Tie broken by personal opinion)
  14. George H. W. Bush - 76 (See above)
  15. Donald Trump - 73
  16. Theodore Roosevelt - 61
  17. Harry S. Truman - 60
  18. James Madison - 53
  19. William H. Taft - 30
  20. Millard  Fillmore - 16
  21. John Adams - 2
  22. Zachary Taylor - -2
  23. Gerald Ford - -4 (Tie broken by personal opinion)
  24. Benjamin Harrison - -4 (See above)
  25. John Q. Adams - -7
  26. Rutherford B. Hayes - -8
  27. Ulysses S. Grant - -12
  28. James Garfield - -17
  29. Grover Cleveland - -24
  30. William H. Harrison - -31 (Tie broken by personal opinion)
  31. Martin Van Buren - -31 (See above)
  32. Chester Arthur - -36
  33. Warren G. Harding - -40
  34. John Tyler - -97
  35. Bill Clinton - -101
  36. Jimmy Carter - -112
  37. Franklin D. Roosevelt - -133
  38. Herbert Hoover - -167
  39. Franklin Pierce - -204
  40. Barack Obama - -206
  41. Andrew Johnson - -214
  42. Lyndon Johnson - -260
  43. Woodrow Wilson - -264
  44. James Buchanan - -285

8 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:
  1. George Washington - 305
  2. Ronald Reagan - 303
  3. Thomas Jefferson - 246
  4. Calvin Coolidge - 201
  5. Dwight Eisenhower -151
  6. Andrew Jackson - 146
  7. William McKinley -140 (Tie broke by personal opinion)
  8. George W. Bush - 140 (See above)
  9. Abraham Lincoln - 126
  10. James Polk -109
  11. Richard Nixon - 104
  12. James Monroe -78
  13. John F. Kennedy - 76 (Tie broken by personal opinion)
  14. George H. W. Bush - 76 (See above)
  15. Donald Trump - 73
  16. Theodore Roosevelt - 61
  17. Harry S. Truman - 60
  18. James Madison - 53
  19. William H. Taft - 30
  20. Millard  Fillmore - 16
  21. John Adams - 2
  22. Zachary Taylor - -2
  23. Gerald Ford - -4 (Tie broken by personal opinion)
  24. Benjamin Harrison - -4 (See above)
  25. John Q. Adams - -7
  26. Rutherford B. Hayes - -8
  27. Ulysses S. Grant - -12
  28. James Garfield - -17
  29. Grover Cleveland - -24
  30. William H. Harrison - -31 (Tie broken by personal opinion)
  31. Martin Van Buren - -31 (See above)
  32. Chester Arthur - -36
  33. Warren G. Harding - -40
  34. John Tyler - -97
  35. Bill Clinton - -101
  36. Jimmy Carter - -112
  37. Franklin D. Roosevelt - -133
  38. Herbert Hoover - -167
  39. Franklin Pierce - -204
  40. Barack Obama - -206
  41. Andrew Johnson - -214
  42. Lyndon Johnson - -260
  43. Woodrow Wilson - -264
  44. James Buchanan - -285

I'm most surprised with your placement of Eisenhower (who appointed an extremely liberal court), and Trump (who I actually thought you didn't like that much). Do you think Trump has even done enough to be 15th overall? He's served for only a year. Thanks for posting the list though.