270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheMiddlePolitical

Calling for someone to bug fix a lost election game.

This was an amazing game but had to many bugs and would crash constantly, let you run from city council and mayor to president, and you were able to keep running and your Candidate would add points the better you did. Heres the link! https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-way-I-can-download-Election-Day-game-created-by-John-Gastil 

11 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

This was an amazing game but had to many bugs and would crash constantly, let you run from city council and mayor to president, and you were able to keep running and your Candidate would add points the better you did. Heres the link! https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-way-I-can-download-Election-Day-game-created-by-John-Gastil 

You realize, of course, without the source code (with is not actually packaged with these games), and the permission of the copyright holder, even if someone on these forums were that skilled in programming, what you're asking is not possible in the first sense or legal in the second.

7 hours ago, Patine said:

You realize, of course, without the source code (with is not actually packaged with these games), and the permission of the copyright holder, even if someone on these forums were that skilled in programming, what you're asking is not possible in the first sense or legal in the second.

There is a whole genre of open-source games. There's even a Mario Kart inspired one where the characters are open-source mascots like Tux and a gnu for GNU.

16 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

There is a whole genre of open-source games. There's even a Mario Kart inspired one where the characters are open-source mascots like Tux and a gnu for GNU.

There are, and can be, legal entanglements and issues with making open-source, depending on the original game's designer and current rights holders. It's not always so easy as you're portraying. For instance, it was been made very clear by the rights-holders that any attempt to reverse-engineer, clone, or create an open source version of, the Skyrim game engine will result in a lawsuit being launched, EVEN in lack of any profit-gaining edge off the endeavour. That one might be an extreme example, however.

23 minutes ago, Patine said:

There are, and can be, legal entanglements and issues with making open-source, depending on the original game's designer and current rights holders. It's not always so easy as you're portraying. For instance, it was been made very clear by the rights-holders that any attempt to reverse-engineer, clone, or create an open source version of, the Skyrim game engine will result in a lawsuit being launched, EVEN in lack of any profit-gaining edge off the endeavour. That one might be an extreme example, however.

The majority of these games are community projects licenensed under the GPL which prohibits commerical re-use or modification.

24 minutes ago, Patine said:

Also the game designer owns the rights to the source code and all assets he made. He can open-source that without any legal issues whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Also the game designer owns the rights to the source code and all assets he made. He can open-source that without any legal issues whatsoever.

You fail copyright law class, @NYrepublican! Try again next year...

Well the Read Me says

Congratulations on installing the Election Day computer simulation game. This game teaches how elections work in the United States. Players learn about political parties, public opinion, campaign financing, election law, political marketing, strategic planning, and the media. Players will include high-school and college students, campaign workers and candidates, activists, civic reformers, and interested members of the general public.

Election Day is more than a game--it's the centerpiece of a larger project designed to raise public understanding of the electoral process. Hopefully, every person who plays the Election Day simulation will become a more shrewd voter, a more effective campaign volunteer, or even a better candidate for public office. Perhaps players who experiment with different election laws will come to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of different electoral systems.

This philosophy led to the decision to make Election Day widely available. Though John Gastil and the University of Washington retain a copyright to the game, any person can download a copy for their own use or for use by their students at www.election-day.info. Others wishing to distribute the game can learn how to obtain a non-exclusive license at the same webpage.

Though Election Day is not technically open-source, we welcome suggestions and collaborations on this project. You can get a clear idea of how the code and databases underlying Election Day work by reading two files included in the Election Day program folder. EDayData.chm is a help file that describes the game's databases, and EDayCode.chm is an organized presentation of the code underlying the game.

take from that what you will

3 minutes ago, LegolasRedbard said:

Well the Read Me says

take from that what you will

You would probably want to ask confirmation first but they express a willingness to fan-made mods @Patine

34 minutes ago, Patine said:

For instance, it was been made very clear by the rights-holders that any attempt to reverse-engineer, clone, or create an open source version of, the Skyrim game engine will result in a lawsuit being launched, EVEN in lack of any profit-gaining edge off the endeavour. That one might be an extreme example, however.

That would be thrown out because of Sega v. Accolade(reverse-engineering) and if for personal use under Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc. it'd be entirely legal. I'm not sure about Canada though.

2 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

You would probably want to ask confirmation first but they express a willingness to fan-made mods @Patine

That would be thrown out because of Sega v. Accolade(reverse-engineering) and if for personal use under Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc. it'd be entirely legal. I'm not sure about Canada though.

I believe these two court precedents predate the current version of the Millennium Copyright Act. Now, understand, that while I think the Millennium Copyright Act is both Orwellian and gives big corporate-produced schlock a huge intrinsic leg-up in the U.S. entertainment market across the board to real art, inspiration, and "heart-and-soul" product by indy and small-overhead creators and developers, and thus utterly detest the legislation, it still exists, and my point thus remains - at least for now.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I believe these two court precedents predate the current version of the Millennium Copyright Act. Now, understand, that while I think the Millennium Copyright Act is both Orwellian and gives big corporate-produced schlock a huge intrinsic leg-up in the U.S. entertainment market across the board to real art, inspiration, and "heart-and-soul" product by indy and small-overhead creators and developers, and thus utterly detest the legislation, it still exists, and my point thus remains - at least for now.

Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. v. Connectix Corp.(2000) would still support my point

@NYrepublican @Patine professor gastil,the creator personnaly encouraged someone to recreate this game,to update and fix it ge also sent me the source codes and the dev files or it. Here is the email,he would love it! He just doesnt have the time as he is of course a professor at penn state

IMG_4779.PNG

Also,as you see the date this was forever ago

That's pretty cool.

3 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

image.png.0eb1fbebf32e37a9c8659dc64c376c5d.png

I did download the compiled game and did a couple of test runs. It's fun, but it does keep bugging out and/or crashing, though not as badly as I expected. I once saw someone polling -1%, which should not be possible.

5 hours ago, Caprice said:

image.png.0eb1fbebf32e37a9c8659dc64c376c5d.png

I did download the compiled game and did a couple of test runs. It's fun, but it does keep bugging out and/or crashing, though not as badly as I expected. I once saw someone polling -1%, which should not be possible.

Thats why he wants someone to fix it..if bugs are fixed it can be a fun game for sure