270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
civicsuk

Germany 2017

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had created a Scenario for the 2017 German Elections, It would be a cool game to play as there are so many different parties, such as CDU and AfD.

45 minutes ago, civicsuk said:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had created a Scenario for the 2017 German Elections, It would be a cool game to play as there are so many different parties, such as CDU and AfD.

I have such a project planned, and have already gathered party logos (and for more than just the big-polling parties), and some other resources. As I've already done a West Germany 1949 scenario a while back, I have some experience making German election scenarios.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:27 PM, Patine said:

I have such a project planned, and have already gathered party logos (and for more than just the big-polling parties), and some other resources. As I've already done a West Germany 1949 scenario a while back, I have some experience making German election scenarios.

Anything on this?

32 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Anything on this?

I actually have significant progress on the first (and last) free, fair, and contested election whose outcome was not a foregone conclusion in East Germany in 1990. It's reasonably close to done, assuming a persnickety error doesn't delay release for months like it did for West Germany 1949 itself, or my old Canada 1957 scenario for PM4E2008.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I actually have significant progress on the first (and last) free, fair, and contested election whose outcome was not a foregone conclusion in East Germany in 1990. It's reasonably close to done, assuming a persnickety error doesn't delay release for months like it did for West Germany 1949 itself, or my old Canada 1957 scenario for PM4E2008.

Nice!

I made one for the K4E engine, but it keeps producing all kinds of screwy numbers when awarding the seats proportionally. I'm trying to create one with the PMI engine that would require the player to enter the results into a spreadsheet to calculate the "real" outcome, but it's taking a long time with six parties and candidates to account for in almost every seat.

1 hour ago, RI Democrat said:

I made one for the K4E engine, but it keeps producing all kinds of screwy numbers when awarding the seats proportionally. I'm trying to create one with the PMI engine that would require the player to enter the results into a spreadsheet to calculate the "real" outcome, but it's taking a long time with six parties and candidates to account for in almost every seat.

I'm not sold on that. First, I've never had the issues you're speaking of with K4E. Second, the "spreadsheet" solution, which @NYrepublican is also a big proponent of, is very clumsy and the AI is not geared to act on them AT ALL, even in the rudimentary way they do in K4E, and thus their campaigning activities act as though they were conducting a FPTP campaign, giving very skewed results. Thirdly, it's hard for the player to campaign if they can't see the PR part of the results DURING the game.

Well, if I ever finish it, the spreadsheet will include a polling feature, and I will also set the seat and percentage goals to adjust for the fact that the computer thinks it's running an FPTP campaign.

As for not being able to replicate the problem, I did post a screenshot at the following link:

Any way you look at it, the CDU/CSU took a much larger percentage of the seats compared to their percentage of the party vote.

The only reason I can think of is that the K4E engine is based on the old system with overhang seats but no leveling seats, and the CDU/CSU won the vast majority of the FPTP seats, far out of proportion to their percentage of the vote. So maybe this is actually what would have happened under the old system without the leveling seats. 

However, I actually have a different idea that I may try instead - an EU parliamentary election based on a modified French-style 2-round system, where you're essentially starting in Round 2. So, all the major EU parties would be included, but only 2 or 3 of them would be contesting any given seat. I'm just bored with doing the U.S., Britain, and Canada over and over again. 

33 minutes ago, RI Democrat said:

Well, if I ever finish it, the spreadsheet will include a polling feature, and I will also set the seat and percentage goals to adjust for the fact that the computer thinks it's running an FPTP campaign.

As for not being able to replicate the problem, I did post a screenshot at the following link:

Any way you look at it, the CDU/CSU took a much larger percentage of the seats compared to their percentage of the party vote.

The only reason I can think of is that the K4E engine is based on the old system with overhang seats but no leveling seats, and the CDU/CSU won the vast majority of the FPTP seats, far out of proportion to their percentage of the vote. So maybe this is actually what would have happened under the old system without the leveling seats. 

However, I actually have a different idea that I may try instead - an EU parliamentary election based on a modified French-style 2-round system, where you're essentially starting in Round 2. So, all the major EU parties would be included, but only 2 or 3 of them would be contesting any given seat. I'm just bored with doing the U.S., Britain, and Canada over and over again. 

Oh, I'm also very bored with doing U.S., Canada, and British elections, for the most part, myself. I have a fairly eclectic set of scenario ideas in the offing, actually.

On 9/10/2018 at 10:28 AM, RI Democrat said:

Found any solutions to this problem?

1 hour ago, Hestia11 said:

Found any solutions to this problem?

I would try if I had the problem and could replicate it. But it doesn't seem to be the huge issue on my system @RI Democrat seems to be plagued by.

35 minutes ago, Patine said:

I would try if I had the problem and could replicate it. But it doesn't seem to be the huge issue on my system @RI Democrat seems to be plagued by.

Ah. Just curious, really like the idea of a Germany 2017 scenario. Unfortunately, I've never made one and don't really know how.

14 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Ah. Just curious, really like the idea of a Germany 2017 scenario. Unfortunately, I've never made one and don't really know how.

I made a West Germany 1949 scenario for K4E. If you PM me your email address - or at least AN email - I can send that to you to have a try.

14 minutes ago, Patine said:

I made a West Germany 1949 scenario for K4E. If you PM me your email address - or at least AN email - I can send that to you to have a try.

Is K4E Chancellor Forever or something else? 

1 hour ago, Hestia11 said:

Is K4E Chancellor Forever or something else? 

It is Chancellor Forever. It got the 'K' after Congress Forever (effectively a beta version of Congress Infinity, in the end) first came out to avoid confusion.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

It is Chancellor Forever. It got the 'K' after Congress Forever (effectively a beta version of Congress Infinity, in the end) first came out to avoid confusion.

Okay. It's been a question I've had forever haha. I'll send my email in the morning

I think it's a combination of: (1) the K4E engine is based on the system that allows overhang seats but not leveling seats, and (2) the current political fragmentation in Germany resulted in the CDU/CSU winning the vast majority of first-past-the-post seats (which thus become overhang seats) with a relatively low percentage of the popular vote.