270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thr33

Would you prefer for a major third party to exist? If so, what kind?

Would you prefer for a major third party to exist? If so, what kind?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer for a major third party to exist? If so, what kind?

• Yes - A "Reasonable Center" Party (between the present Dems and GOP ideologically)
    • Yes - A "Green" Party (to the left of the present Dems ideologically)
    • Yes - An "America First" Party (to the right of the present GOP ideologically)
    • Yes - Other (respond below)
    • No - I am satisfied with the present Dems and GOP as the two major parties

Saw this discussion on 538 the other day, and thought it would make for an interesting poll here:

natesilver: Yeah, look, I don’t want to go overboard in totally dismissing the idea of a third party. Also, independent presidential candidates can sometimes succeed irrespective of a more sustainable third party.

But as Perry says, a lot of the changes happen within parties. And independents fall into maybe three different categories — including lots of people on the “far left” and the “far right,” not just Reasonable Centrists.

micah: No one has yet explained to me what gives with that Gallup chart, though. If 61 percent of people think a third party is needed, what’s getting in the way?

natesilver: Because among that 61 percent, there’s 21 percent who want the Reasonable Center Party, 20 percent who want the Green Party, and 20 percent who want the America First Party

12 minutes ago, thr33 said:

Saw this discussion on 538 the other day, and thought it would make for an interesting poll here:

I voted for "Reasonable Centrist," but I'd also want to emphasize that ideally I'd want a party that would put the people, national interests, international reputation, cooperation, and trade, and the given situation above defaulting to any strict ideological lines and purist politics being applied and, often, in many situations, counter-intuitively and even nonsensically, to all situations. Am I asking much? Would I like mayo on that? :P

I voted Green but I don't the actual Green Party, just a hypothetical party that exists to the left of the Democratic Party on the political spectrum

I, like @Patine, put reasonable centrist, despite being far-left of most reasonable centrists. I find the Green Party to have attractive policies, but it is just run in the most off-putting fashion, and Jill Stein is more unlikable than Hillary Clinton to me. I don't like any party's led by contrarians, puritans or anyone that doesn't lend an olive branch or doesn't aim at opening their arms to alternative views. Every party and every president should know that at least half the country (if not more) has a different idea or goals for the country. I'd prefer compromise to winner takes all, even if I were president. The winner takes all system is sort of light dictatorial. 

16 minutes ago, jnewt said:

I voted Green but I don't the actual Green Party, just a hypothetical party that exists to the left of the Democratic Party on the political spectrum

Well, there was Gloria La Riva as another "left-of-the-Democrats" candidate to Jill Stein in the 2016 election... :P

Just a note, the "Green" party in this hypothetical only shares the name (and presumably some platform elements) with the present Green party in the US. I just used it for simplicity since it was the name used by Silver.

If it was a major third party alongside the present Dems and GOP, presumably it would have superior candidate recruitment, party infrastructure, funding, universal ballot access, etc.

In the current FPTP system I wouldn't be in favor of a third party.

49 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

In the current FPTP system I wouldn't be in favor of a third party.

Thus, the lack of interest and desire, and even staunch resistance, to the idea of Constitutional reform to amend the outmoded and broken FPTP Congressional election system and the Electoral College by the two main parties displays an OBVIOUS and BLATANT ulterior motive - it makes the U.S. political Duopoly practically certain to be entrenched and unchallenged as a whole electorally with any significance no matter how often those two parties repeatedly and overtly screw over the American people continuously like they've both been doing for about a century-and-a-half.

25 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

keep the two party system rather two cancer that have good things rather and a third cancer.

You are too easily pleased, and eager to vote for one or the other of the two parties that have always screwed you over, lied to you, kept harmful secrets from you, and abused your trust, REPEATEDLY, and then smugly, complacently, and with a sense of entitlement knew you'd crawl up to the ballot box and vote for them again. I say neither of those two parties, or any of their candidates, deserve your vote, or that of any American who truly cares about their country and it's people and future.

The two-party system is a structural problem associated with first-past-the-post single-member districts (the Presidency functions as a national single-member district viewed this way). It's simply the most logical division of parties in such a format. The United States would easily form multiple formal parties given the political space to do so. The Democratic and Republican parties are already simply massive big-tent coalitions and major third parties have existed before (and then absorbed into one of the major big tents).

If third parties were somehow valid, I suppose I might vote for some kind of a left unity party, but I don't view legislative action as the most important function of a leftist political party and wouldn't expect such a party to ever have any power anyway.

I know alot of us would want a centrist party in the vein of the German Center Party, but I'm not too sure it would even come to existence- even if we adopt a new voting system such as IRV, or MMP. 

Too many issues are linked to an identity/culture that I can't see what the centrist position would be. On economics, I could see them have views much similar to the Democratic party from the 1990's, but social issues? Social issues I'm not too sure. Where would they be on issues such as immigration? LGBT rights? Let alone where would their base be?  

I want multiple parties, but I'm not sure a Center Party would ever emerge.