Jump to content
270soft Forum
jnewt

What party/political designation are you registered with?

What party/political designation are you registered with?  

22 members have voted

  1. 1. What party/political designation are you registered with? (if you're not registered or ineligible to vote, select which party you would register with)

    • Democratic Party
    • Republican Party
    • Unenrolled/"independent"
    • Libertarian Party
      0
    • Green Party
      0
    • Constitution Party
      0
    • Working Families Party
    • American Delta Party
      0
    • Reform Party
      0
    • Party for Socialism and Liberation
      0
    • Socialist Workers Party
      0
    • Veterans Party of America
      0
    • Other (list below)


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Fun Fact: There is no right to the pursuit of happiness.

It's strange how much of the language that is in the Declaration (our reason for Independence) didn't make it into the Constitution. Some argue that it was because the primary figures of the Declaration Congress--Jefferson, J.Adams, Hancock, S. Adams, RH Lee, and many others had no role in the making of the Constitution. Franklin was there, but often absent because of age-related illnesses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder why people (or forum members, at least) who are left-of-center tend to be independent (or a member of a smaller, third-party or political designation) more often than not, whereas people (or, again, forum members, at least) who are right-of-center are more likely to identify with the Republican Party than to be independent...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jnewt said:

I wonder why people (or forum members, at least) who are left-of-center tend to be independent (or a member of a smaller, third-party or political designation) more often than not, whereas people (or, again, forum members, at least) who are right-of-center are more likely to identify with the Republican Party than to be independent...

I think that the GOP is a lot more of a satisfactory party to the right than the Dems are to the left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

I think that the GOP is a lot more of a satisfactory party to the right than the Dems are to the left.

You are too easily satisfied, @Reagan04. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

I think that the GOP is a lot more of a satisfactory party to the right than the Dems are to the left.

Why is the term "RINO" much more prevalent than the term "DINO" then? Perhaps left-of-center citizens don't support the Democratic Party to begin with and thus don't see anything wrong with politicians going against the party, but that doesn't explain why right-of-center citizens have such a problem with so many establishment Republicans (often the party leadership) whom some often refer to as RINOs. Despite the RINOs, citizens tend to stick with the Republican Party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Why is the term "RINO" much more prevalent than the term "DINO" then? Perhaps left-of-center citizens don't support the Democratic Party to begin with and thus don't see anything wrong with politicians going against the party, but that doesn't explain why right-of-center citizens have such a problem with so many establishment Republicans (often the party leadership) whom some often refer to as RINOs. Despite the RINOs, citizens tend to stick with the Republican Party.

I rarely it ever hear “DINO” used as a term. Much more often I hear “neoliberal” (referring to Democrats who are center to center-right on economics issues) used as a perjorative (as opposed to as a descriptor). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jnewt said:

Why is the term "RINO" much more prevalent than the term "DINO" then? Perhaps left-of-center citizens don't support the Democratic Party to begin with and thus don't see anything wrong with politicians going against the party, but that doesn't explain why right-of-center citizens have such a problem with so many establishment Republicans (often the party leadership) whom some often refer to as RINOs. Despite the RINOs, citizens tend to stick with the Republican Party.

The real good question is - why doesn't Donald Trump get called a RINO more often, or barely at all, when he's practically the quintessential poster boy of the GOP purjorative?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Patine said:

The real good question is - why doesn't Donald Trump get called a RINO more often, or barely at all, when he's practically the quintessential poster boy of the GOP purjorative?

He's getting sharply criticized for saying "take the guns first deal with due proccess later" in regards to mentally ill (whatever that means) people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

He's getting sharply criticized for saying "take the guns first deal with due proccess later" in regards to mentally ill (whatever that means) people.

Then they should rightfully take his own guns, by that logic. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in SC, where we have semi-open primaries. Meaning if you're an independent you can vote in any primary but you can't in another party's primary the following electoral season. For example, I voted in the 2014 SC Republican Primary for Lindsay Graham to prevent a TEA party candidate from winning the nomination. But in 2015 I debated where should I vote? In a primary that is close to my beliefs (the Democratic primary) or the one that will have a larger impact in my community( the Republican). P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jnewt said:

I wonder why people (or forum members, at least) who are left-of-center tend to be independent (or a member of a smaller, third-party or political designation) more often than not, whereas people (or, again, forum members, at least) who are right-of-center are more likely to identify with the Republican Party than to be independent...

I think of the old Bill Clinton line, "Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line." 

Without coming across as attacking the Democratic party too harshly, but since the 1990s till about recently(with the advent of Sanders/Warren) the Democratic party has been seen as a more centrist/barely center-left party, which could leave many liberals unsatisfied. Shoot, to showcase this ongoing shift from the center, Democratic Party of California unveiled a new platform that is solidly progressive. Once a swing state just a generation ago mind you! But even all of the names being tossed around for 2020 are progressive. So I suspect that disenchanted liberals unsatisfied with the 90's-00's centrist style of governing will officially join the party. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like a part of it is also in the nature of being conservative vs. more radical. Anyone who looks at the left even briefly can tell the fractious nature of leftists is ridiculous. Literally worthy of ridicule. But I think of it as that being a conservative is ideologically more straightforward - you literally wish to conserve elements. Liberals/Progressives/Radicals/Revolutionaries have the task of proposing a solution to their perceived problem - obviously there will be disagreement over how best to change something, much more than how to keep something the same. So leftists splinter and have bitter rivalries and disagreements, etc., such that left unity is historically rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lyly said:

I feel like a part of it is also in the nature of being conservative vs. more radical. Anyone who looks at the left even briefly can tell the fractious nature of leftists is ridiculous. Literally worthy of ridicule. But I think of it as that being a conservative is ideologically more straightforward - you literally wish to conserve elements. Liberals/Progressives/Radicals/Revolutionaries have the task of proposing a solution to their perceived problem - obviously there will be disagreement over how best to change something, much more than how to keep something the same. So leftists splinter and have bitter rivalries and disagreements, etc., such that left unity is historically rare.

Yes, indeed. Keeping things the same requires no innovative thought, planning, long-term vision, imagination, or ideological adaptivity. It's easy mode to in terms of platform conception, but can be very much one of the hardest ideologies to actually pull off successfully in the long-term in the modern day and age, given, by nature, the great majority of people, demographically speaking collectively, are disadvantaged by (read, are intrinsically screwed over royally by) traditional conservative thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Patine said:

the great majority of people, demographically speaking collectively, are disadvantaged by (read, are intrinsically screwed over royally by) traditional conservative thinking.

I'm more strongly inclined to think Venezuelans and Chinese were more so by left wing ideologies like socialism and communism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

I'm more strongly inclined to think Venezuelans and Chinese were more so by left wing ideologies like socialism and communism.

I'm not necessarily defending Communism and hard Socialism, systems that have almost not traction or impact in the American political or economic scheme or paradigm, so the comparison is pretty moot and little more than a distraction that contributes next to nothing in debating my point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2018 at 9:12 PM, vcczar said:

I'm technically registered with the Democrats, only because I had to register with a party when I was in Texas. I consider myself an Independent Progressive that is forced to vote Democrat, as it is the only tolerable choice with a shot at winning an election. If a progressive 3rd party had a real shot at winning, I would definitely throw my support to them, and continue to do so until another more progressive party emerges. I'm more aligned (registered) with specific goals than with a party. 

you are not a independent progressive if you are resigter with a party you are apart of that party untill you leave it. there is non of this i am apart of insert party name here but i am really a independent bullshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2018 at 4:54 PM, jnewt said:

Why is the term "RINO" much more prevalent than the term "DINO" then? Perhaps left-of-center citizens don't support the Democratic Party to begin with and thus don't see anything wrong with politicians going against the party, but that doesn't explain why right-of-center citizens have such a problem with so many establishment Republicans (often the party leadership) whom some often refer to as RINOs. Despite the RINOs, citizens tend to stick with the Republican Party.

dont really see alot of democrats going against the democrats that much you can make a case for joe machin but he will at the end the day fall in line in reality. but we do got problems for example look at Collins who is a republican she vote against her party 95% of time and she dont show any signs of defecting to the democrats you can be a moderate and want to work with the other side if you want but you cant be doing 95% of the time and stay in your party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Presidentinsertname said:

dont really see alot of democrats going against the democrats that much you can make a case for joe machin but he will at the end the day fall in line in reality. but we do got problems for example look at Collins who is a republican she vote against her party 95% of time and she dont show any signs of defecting to the democrats you can be a moderate and want to work with the other side if you want but you cant be doing 95% of the time and stay in your party.

Collins actually votes with Trump as often as Utah's Mike Lee(80%) and more often than Rand Paul(74%)

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, avatarmushi said:

Collins actually votes with Trump as often as Utah's Mike Lee(80%) and more often than Rand Paul(74%)

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/?ex_cid=rrpromo

It's not that surprising that my man Rand is the least likely to fall in line considering his history.  I mean, he single-handedly shut down the government for a couple of hours over his fight with the establishment on the budget.  Mike Lee is very similar on a lot of things with Rand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are people without an account voting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

It's not that surprising that my man Rand is the least likely to fall in line considering his history.  I mean, he single-handedly shut down the government for a couple of hours over his fight with the establishment on the budget.  Mike Lee is very similar on a lot of things with Rand

I hate to differ on the matter of admirable feats with you, but I personally consider any lawmaker or executive head who willingly and deliberately shuts down the government, and potentially disrupts governments services, usually to the most vulnerable in society, to pursue an uncompromising ideological point, is, in my opinion, guilty of treason and sedition and betrayal of their duties as such government officials to their nation and it's people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Patine said:

I hate to differ on the matter of admirable feats with you, but I personally consider any lawmaker or executive head who willingly and deliberately shuts down the government, and potentially disrupts governments services, usually to the most vulnerable in society, to pursue an uncompromising ideological point, is, in my opinion, guilty of treason and sedition and betrayal of their duties as such government officials to their nation and it's people.

A government shutdown just refers to nonessential personnel (which is around 30%).  This means things such as national parks are closed.  But, I'd say it is admirable to stand alone and face criticism from both parties in order to bring awareness to the immortality of pushing trillions of dollars of debt onto the future generations without any plan to reduce that number.  He stood alone because the budget that was passed will, in a few years, reach budget deficits in the trillions again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jvikings1 said:

A government shutdown just refers to nonessential personnel (which is around 30%).  This means things such as national parks are closed.  But, I'd say it is admirable to stand alone and face criticism from both parties in order to bring awareness to the immortality of pushing trillions of dollars of debt onto the future generations without any plan to reduce that number.  He stood alone because the budget that was passed will, in a few years, reach budget deficits in the trillions again.

A truly admirable political ideologue of real conviction and sincerity standing alone from the rest only uses tactics that bring negative consequences of any sort upon themselves, not ones that harm, or even disadvantage or discomfit those not willingly in league and agreement with and standing behind them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patine said:

A truly admirable political ideologue of real conviction and sincerity standing alone from the rest only uses tactics that bring negative consequences of any sort upon themselves, not ones that harm, or even disadvantage or discomfit those not willingly in league and agreement with and standing behind them.

If one accepts this argument, then no action can be taken by the minority in order to advance change.  His actions made major news and brought attention to the issue.  Things such as the bus boycotts during the civil rights era disadvantaged those who disagreed, but it was still an admirable stand by those demanding equal access.  The Continental Congress did things that affected others because they were standing up to the injustices of the British Crown.  What makes these things admirable is that they stood up and made points that needed to be made despite knowing of the backlash that would result from those actions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×