270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

What Makes a President Great?

What Makes a President Great?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these traits/qualities are essential to Ranking President for Greatness/Failure?

• Crisis Management
    • Inspiring Public Support for Policies
    • Economic Management
    • Foreign Policy Accomplishments
    • Domestic Accomplishments
    • Avoiding Crucial Mistakes
    • Administrative Ability
    • Relations with Congress
    • Party Leadership
    • Bipartisanship/Ability to Compromise
    • Independence from Party Politics
    • Vision
    • Pursuing Equal Justice
    • Inspiring Optimism
    • Ability to adjust to changes
    • Action-oriented
    • Strong and effective communicator
    • Court appointments
    • Executive appointments
    • Personal Integrity
  2. 2. Part 2 of the above

• Relatively scandal free administration
    • Willingness to take risks/successful risk taking
    • Success in context of their own time
    • Constitutional Authority
    • Moral Authority
    • Promoter of Peace and Unity
    • Setting new precedents
    • Other (Please, please comment below on what I'm missing).

I'd like everyone to chime in. For you, what makes a president great and what makes a president a failure? Consider the presidents you consider great or failures.

I like how all 8 respondents seem to think that I've listed all of the necessary traits. Hopefully, someone can think of something that I haven't thought about. I don't like being omniscient. 

All of these, lol. Duh. Anyone who says one isn't (Left-Wingers for Moral Authority, Right-Wingers for Congress relations, for example), are voting based on an ideology instead of their personal preference.

Should working towards peace/establishing peace be on this list?

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎22 at 10:58 AM, ThePotatoWalrus said:

All of these, lol. Duh. Anyone who says one isn't (Left-Wingers for Moral Authority, Right-Wingers for Congress relations, for example), are voting based on an ideology instead of their personal preference.

I think he was asking for a prioritization.

51 minutes ago, Patine said:

I think he was asking for a prioritization.

I guess sort of a prioritization. Basically, I wanted to know what is unimportant to a ranking, and I also hoped to find some categories I failed to list, like pursuing peace/maintaining peace

Maybe this is a part of 'vision', but I would add foresight to the list. Presidents who can read the future and make decisions at the time to either prevent catastrophe or to help usher in a golden age down the line have immense value. Would be hard to parse out credit though, because people might luck into making the correct decision for the wrong reason(s).

7 minutes ago, thr33 said:

Maybe this is a part of 'vision', but I would add foresight to the list. Presidents who can read the future and make decisions at the time to either prevent catastrophe or to help usher in a golden age down the line have immense value. Would be hard to parse out credit though, because people might luck into making the correct decision for the wrong reason(s).

That would probably play a role in vision. I could just call it Vision/Foresight as a category. 

Just now, vcczar said:

That would probably play a role in vision. I could just call it Vision/Foresight as a category. 

Sounds fair, I would have included that in my vote.

Can you think of some major examples historically of decisions like that? I think I heard that's the premise of Oliver Stone's "Untold History" (which I've been meaning to read, last history text I read cover to cover was Zinn 15 years ago in HS), though I think it only goes back to WWI.

11 minutes ago, thr33 said:

Sounds fair, I would have included that in my vote.

Can you think of some major examples historically of decisions like that? I think I heard that's the premise of Oliver Stone's "Untold History" (which I've been meaning to read, last history text I read cover to cover was Zinn 15 years ago in HS), though I think it only goes back to WWI.

I think it has more to having a forward thinking vision of the future, while also having the awareness of the moment to make it happen. In this sense, someone like JQ Adams, who came up with many ideas ahead of his time, didn't have the awareness of his own time to make his vision doable, so he would get a decent grade, but not a high one. Lincoln and FDR would obviously do well on vision/foresight. More recent presidents will be harder to judge. 

23 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think it has more to having a forward thinking vision of the future, while also having the awareness of the moment to make it happen. In this sense, someone like JQ Adams, who came up with many ideas ahead of his time, didn't have the awareness of his own time to make his vision doable, so he would get a decent grade, but not a high one. Lincoln and FDR would obviously do well on vision/foresight. More recent presidents will be harder to judge. 

Cool, I'll look more closely into all three, thanks for the suggestions.