270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

2nd Political Party Board Game Playthrough

24 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

@vcczar PLEASE don't simplify it anymore! You already cut the House down which I opposed, so Definetly keep it. Also, for SCOTUS, does ideology of the judges factor in?

Agreed, and I'm not saying this just because I don't want competition, I think that having the House and Senate (along with Governorships and the SCOTUS) change realistically as well, with you having to micromanage each aspect is a better idea.

56 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

@vcczar PLEASE don't simplify it anymore! You already cut the House down which I opposed, so Definetly keep it. Also, for SCOTUS, does ideology of the judges factor in?

I definitely have to keep the US House simplified for a board game version. It's unavoidable. In a PC version, I could revert back to all my original complexities. 

SCOTUS ideology does matter. I should have explained it better. Most famous court cases will have have a liberal (elastic) or conservative (strict) interpretation. A roll will determine how unified the judges are, based on their ideology. More often than not, the conservatives and liberals will vote as a solid block. For instance, a 20-sided die might require a role of 18-20 to have one judge from the block back the other side. Swing judges will roll independently with a 50% chance of the judge going liberal or conservative. All judges are labeled as either RL, RS, RC, DL, DS, DC, with the first letter representing the party that nominated them, and the other letter as representing the ideology (Liberal, Swing, Conservative). The first letter helps toward the party score. I should also make it so that a party scores points if the case rules in favor of a party's ideology. For instance, the SC ruling in favor of desegregating public transportation, should gain some enthusiasm or points for whatever party favors Federal Prerogative and/or Minority Rights. I think if the case is highly contested, it could gain enthusiasm to both ideologies, since sometimes a close loss can embolden a party. 

Excellent question. These are what i need to fine tune this board game (possible PC game). 

40 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Agreed, and I'm not saying this just because I don't want competition, I think that having the House and Senate (along with Governorships and the SCOTUS) change realistically as well, with you having to micromanage each aspect is a better idea.

If I can get this on PC, then I'll make it more micromanagy. For now, I'm trying to make it into a board game that won't exceed 4 hours. If it can be transitioned to PC, then I can increase the complexity. I, like you and Reagan04, wish for it to be as complex as possible (so long as it's playable and understandable). I'll do this more simplified version, but if I get a passionate volunteer to make the PC version of the game, then I'll help in reverting it back to a more complex version. It's already still complex, as you can see. 

I'm going to do another round or two just to test how the game works for the longer term. Here is the Presidential Polling heading into the 1861-1862 midterms:

1861Map.jpg

Elections for the 1962 Midterms

US President: None

US Sen Elections: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, MO, NV, NH, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, UT, VT, WA, WI

US House Elections: Yes, all of them. 

US Governor's elections: AL, AK, AZ, CA, GA, HI, ME, MA, MN, NJ, NE, NV, NM, OK, OR, PA, SC, TX, VA, VT, WI, WY

States likely to see a lot of PP thrown their way: CA, IL, KY, MO, NY, NC, PA

Republicans for Round 2

• Republican Strategy: Republicans should seek to hold the states they have, while aiming to take two of the following three states: NY, PA, IL. Republicans should throw any extra PP towards the US house and IL Pres Poll. 
  • Rep Unity: 2/3 
  • Rep Enthusiasm: 6 (no loss of enthusiasm due to close defeat)
  • Rep Position: They narrowed their loses in both the House, Senate and governorships. They have a one justice lead on the SC. 

Democrats for Round 2

• Democratic Strategy: Democrats, if they wish to hold the South, need to increase control of the Upper South, and hold NY, possibly PA.  Democrats should use any extra PP into increasing their lead in the US House, and toward keeping the Pres Poll in NY in their favor, and holding PA. 
  • Dem Unity: 1/3
  • Dem Enthusiasm: 4 (no gain of enthusiasm as victory was narrow)
  • Dem Position: They now control the presidency. They still have a super majority in the Senate, but the House is now done to a simple majority. They control most of the governorships. They have the minority of the SC justices. 

@vcczar I think itd be better to just have this as a PC game (you can design artwork,rules etc) and I might be able to work on it over the summer.

13 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

@vcczar I think itd be better to just have this as a PC game (you can design artwork,rules etc) and I might be able to work on it over the summer.

"Might" doesn't convince me to work on it as a PC game. I'll have rules, etc., and I can easily alter the rules for when PC-creation becomes an actual possibility. 

4 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Ideology should NEVER matter or be a factor in a judge in a functional and independent judiciary that's properly doing it's job! That's why I detest the openly and blatantly partisan American judiciary and think it's utterly broken and flies in the face of the concept of justice. Any judge who shows strong partisan or political ideology to the point of obviously affecting their rulings should be removed from the bench and debarred completely.

Hand Cards drawn for Round 2--1962 Midterms:

The Democratic Player controls the presidency now, so he deals out the hand cards. The are as follows:

Democratic Player has:

• Supreme Court Justice Dies/Resigns [New judge]
  • Policy Protest [Point to an opponent's platform issue, and force him to either change it or lose -1 enthusiasm]
  • Presidential Influence on Congress [President can use his influence to force one piece of legislation towards his direction]
  • Avoid War without Penalty [If a military-based card is play, you can take the easy way out without incurring a penalty]
  • Congressional Meddling in Presidential Executive Decision [Congress can block one of the president's options on an executive decision]

Republican Player has:

• Economic downturn [President party gets -1 or -2 enthusiasm, depending on a roll. Another roll determines if Congress losses -1 or not]
  • Good Campaigning [+1 in a region for this election cycle; place card nearest the region]
  • Inspirational Speech [+1 in one election this election cycle; place card nearest the state]
  • Policy Shift [Player has the option of shifting one of their platform issues without penalty]
  • Divert Influence [You choose where your opponent's next PP will go, so long as the PP goes to a state with an election]

3 hours ago, Patine said:

Ideology should NEVER matter or be a factor in a judge in a functional and independent judiciary that's properly doing it's job! That's why I detest the openly and blatantly partisan American judiciary and think it's utterly broken and flies in the face of the concept of justice. Any judge who shows strong partisan or political ideology to the point of obviously affecting their rulings should be removed from the bench and debarred completely.

You should know what I mean. I feel like you do this just to make a grandiose and bellicose scene. When we talk about Judicial Ideology we mean how they interpret the Constitution.

I think I figured out all the Hand Cards for this board game. Once I come up with all the event cards, and what the do, I'll create some sort of excel sheet for all the cards. Hopefully, someone can help me make the cards once I do that. 

Phase 1 of 1962 Mid-terms: Early Executive Phase

The Democrats take the Executive Hand Cards for the early phase of the 1962 midterms, since they control the presidency:

• Propose New Frontier [Pushing this proposal results in a move to +1 in Social Welfare, a move to 1/3 unity, and +1 enthusiasm; Avoiding the proposal leads to -1 enthusiasm but 2/3 unity; Countering the proposal results in a move to +1 Self-reliance and a move to 1/3 unity. If the move in platform results in an issue moving more than a single space, then enthusiasm drops by -1.]
    • LBJ, not yet a Civil Rights activist, opts to avoid the proposal
  • Create the Peace Corps [Creating it: +1 influence in intervention and pro-immigrant states; -1 influence in isolationist and nativist states. Avoid it: no effect. Let Congress decide: Unity moved to 2/3; Bill moved to the next legislative phase--effects shift to party(s) that support the bill.
    • LBJ opts to create the Peace Corps
  • Bay of Pigs [Order CIA invasion: Roll for success of mission, with +1 enthusiasm for success and -2 enthusiasm for defeat.; Halt the CIA invasion: Unity 1/3 and -1 in intervention state, and -1 enthusiasm; Full scale invasion: Place card on the board; gain +1 in intervention states; roll to determine extent of military engagement
    • LBJ opts to halt the CIA invasion, rather than risk an embarrassing defeat. 
  • Military Advisers, Aid, Training Personnel to Vietnam [Increase US involvement in Vietnam: +1 in intervention states, unity to 2/3, +1 enthusiasm; halt increase: -1 in intervention states, unity to 1/3; Withdrawal all existing US personnel from Vietnam: -2 in intervention states, unity to 1/3, enthusiasm -1, and all future Vietnam cards are discarded, unless the opposing party wishes to hold on to this card for the future]
    • LBJ increases involvement in Vietnam
  • Expanding Cuban Embargo [Expand embargo on all Cuban-made good: +1 in Florida elections; Keep the existing light embargo: No effect; Remove all embargos on Cuba: Enthusiasm -1, -1 in Florida elections, ends military involvement with Cuba if it exists]
    • LBJ expands the embargo on Cuba

No Hand Cards were played to interfere with the executive decisions. As both players waited for the executive cards to be played first in this phase. 

Up next: Hand cards played in Phase 1

Phase 1 - Early Executive Phase cont....Hand Cards and PP played in Phase 1

Democrats play the Supreme Court Justice Resigns/Dies Card. Dice are rolled, and a DL (Democratic-nominated liberal) must be replaced. LBJ nominates a DC. Republicans do not object, and confirm the pick. 

Republican player plays Economic Downturn Card. President's Party (Democrats) get -1 enthusiasm. Democrats control both Houses of Congress, and another dice is rolled to determine if another enthusiam hit occurs. It does. Democrats get another -1 enthusiasm. 

Democrats began with 4 enthusiasm, but the Democratic Player's events for phase 1 have reduced this to an enthusiasm by 1. Therefore, Democrats have only 1 PP. Democrats play their sole PP on the PA Gov race. 

Republicans still have their 6 enthusiasm, giving them 7 PP. Republican player puts one PP each on the CA Sen; IL Sen, NY Sen, PA Gov, and 3 PP on the US House. 

Analysis note: LBJ's decisions to operate as a Southern Democrat, as opposed to a National Democrat is undermining any chance of enthusiasm for his party; although, it continues to strengthen his support in the Southern states. Republicans  have an enthusiasm of 6 and Democrats have a 1 in enthusiasm, which is in "wave" territory. If Republicans can maintain this, then a wave will probably occur. If Democrats falls to 0 and Republicans move to 7, then a wave is guaranteed. LBJ may be forced to alienate his Southern base unless Republicans begin to blunder. 

Next Turn: Phase 2 -- Early Legislative Phase

Phase 2 -- Early Legislative Phase for 1962 Midterms

This legislation phase as only one card, since none of the executive cards were passed to the legislature. 

• Expand the 1938 Fair Labor Standards Act to increase the minimum wage and coverage [Support: +1 support in labor states; -1 support in business states; roll for platform change +1 to labor. Oppose: +1 support in business states; -1 support in labor states; roll for platform change to +1 business]
    • Democrats needing to hold support in the North vote for the measure. 
    • Republicans also needing to make inroads in labor states support the measure. 
    • The bill bill passes and goes to the president. If the president vetoes it, then it he will lose -1 unity, since his party supported it, but will get the bonuses/negatives of opposing the bill. If the bills is overridden then he will lose -1 enthusiasm, and the opposition party in congress will get +1 enthusiasm. 
    • LBJ, after considering how a veto might play out, decides to sign the bill. 
    • Both parties roll for a platform change; neither platform moves. 

Both players decide to play a Hand Card:

• Democrat Player plays "Policy Protest," forcing the opponent to alter a policy position or lose -1 enthusiasm. Democratic Player points to Majority Rule. Republican player not wanting to loose their dominant lead in enthusiasm, decides to move their platform +1 toward Minority Rights. 
  • Republican Player plays "Divert Influence," allowing them to place the Democratic Party's PP points for them for this phase. 

Political Points Played: 

• Democrats have only 1 PP, as their enthusiasm is terrible, as per the Hand Card, Republicans place this PP for them. The PP is played on the LA Sen race. 
  • Republican player has 7 PP, and will make the same moves as last phase: Republican player puts one PP each on the CA Sen; IL Sen, NY Sen, PA Gov, and 3 PP on the US House. 

Analysis: Democrats are in an awful position, despite holding the presidency and both Houses of Congress. Despite keeping these houses and winning the presidency, their strategy was a blunder in the long run. Can LBJ save his party before the midterm elections. Meanwhile, Republicans are banking on taking the US House, and various offices in CA, IL, NY, and PA, which could help them in the long run in 1964. 

As there isn't a Judicial Card for the Phase 3, or a Convention for Phase 4.....

Next Turn: Phase 5 - Late Executive Phase for 1962 Midterms

Phase 5 - Late Executive Phase for 1962 Midterms

Meredith & School Segregation [Use the US Military to force Meredith's enrollment in Ole Miss: +2 enthusiasm, 1/3 unity, +2 in Minority Rights States, -2 in Deep South, -1 in Upper South, -4 in Alabama; move platform to +2 Minority Rights, Federal Prerogative and Reform. Use US Marshals: +1 enthusiasm, 1/3 unity, +1 in Minority Rights States, -1 in the Deep South, -2 in Alabama; Move platform to +1 Minority Rights and Federal Prerogative. Sympathize with Meredith but commit no action: 2/3 unity, -1 in Minority Rights States, +1 in States Rights States,  +1 in Alabama. Defend States Rights: -1 enthusiasm, 1/3 unity, -2 in Minority Rights States, +2 in Deep South, +1 in Upper South. Move Platform to +2 States Rights and +2 Tradition]

• LBJ is at a conundrum. He was voted on a platform aimed towards Conservative Democrats, but his party has lost almost all momentum. He needs to force Meredith's enrollment. For the sake of this playthrough, I'll assume he's cautious to upset his base. He will Sympathize with Meredith. 

NASA Funding for Moon Landing [Call for increased funding for this project: +1 enthusiasm; Allow only private investors: +1 in States Rights states; Cancel NASA: -1 enthusiasm, Discard all future Space-related cards; pass this card to the opposing party, which can choose to reinstate NASA when they hold the presidency.]

• LBJ has an easy decision. Having made his base happy with his last decision, he can get some party enthusiasm. LBJ funds NASA. 

Cuban Missile Crisis [Declare War on Cuba and the Soviet Union: Intervention States +2, Isolation States -2, Enthusiasm +2, place card on board and roll for positives/negatives of war; 2/3 unity. Send the Navy to confront Soviet ships, but hold fire: Enthusiasm +1, Intervention states +1, roll to see if military event escalates. Use diplomacy, offering to withdraw your missiles from Turkey if they withdraw their missiles in Cuba: -1 in Intervention States; this option isn't available if you are already at war with the Soviets. Avoid antagonizing the Soviets by ignoring the missiles: -2 enthusiasm, +2 in isolation states, 1/3 unity.]

• LBJ decides against risking war, so he uses diplomacy, despite desperately needing enthusiasm. 

Banning Segregation in Federal Housing [Create the executive order: +1 enthusiasm, +1 in minority right states, +1 in pro-immigrant states, -1 in States Rights states; Move platform one toward +2 Minority Rights and +1 Federal Prerogative and Reform. Don't make an executive order: No effect. 

• LBJ does nothing, since he doesn't want to reshape the party. 

Hand Cards and PP:

• Democratic player discards his Avoid War without Penalty Card, and plays both of his PP on the US House. 
  • Republican Player, sensing that it has an opportunity, plays the "Policy Shift" card, moving his platform +1 towards Minority Rights. Once again he puts one PP each on the CA Sen; IL Sen, NY Sen, PA Gov, and 3 PP on the US House. 

Analysis: LBJ did gain +1 in enthusiasm, but he didn't make use of several opportunities. Additionally, his use of both his PP on the US House was probably a wasted move. At this point, the US House is probably lost, and the Republican Player will be able to out PP him on the House each turn. He should have placed his PP on contested elections. The Republican player is banking on four states victories. The US House seems like it will likely flip, presidential prospects are also looking better. 

Next Turn: Phase 6 - Late Legislative Phase of the 1962 Midterms

@Reagan04 I've been busy, but today I have time to get back on 270Soft projects and allied projects. 

Turn 6 -- Late Legislative Phase of the of the 1962 Midterms

• Tariff Expansion Act [Support: Grant President authority to reduce tariffs up to 80% [+1 support in the Midwest; move platform +1 in the direction of Free Trade]; Oppose: [+1 support in the West Coast; move platform +1 in the direction of protectionism]
    • Democrats support the bill; Republicans choose to oppose the bill. As Democrats have low unity, there is a chance the bill won't pass, despite a lead in Congress. The dice is roll. The bill passes the House.
    • It goes to the Senate, where the bill easily passes. 
    • The bill goes to the president. LBJ can oppose it at a cost of -1 unity and -1 enthusiasm, despite a +1 West Coast gain. LBJ signs the Act. 
  • Community Mental Health Act [Support federal grants for mental health assistance and research [+1 enthusiasm; -1 in States Rights States]; oppose: [+1 in Self-Reliance and States Rights States]
    • Both Democrats and Republicans support the bill. It passes the House. 
    • Both parties support the bill in the Senate.
    • LBJ is at a conundrum, as he wants to keep his base happy. LBJ opts to sign the bill, rather than risk a -1 unity and -1 enthusiasm. 

With the final hand cards discarded, Political Points are played:

• Democrats now have 3 PP. Two are played on the US House, and one is played on the NY Sen. 
  • Republicans now have max enthusiasm; therefore, they have 10 PP! They play 2 on the NY Sen. 3 on the US House. CA Gov, MA Gov, PA Gov, CA Sen, IL Sen also get PP. 

Turn 7 -- Late Judiciary Phase of the 1962 Midterms

• Engel v. Vitale [The case is to determine if government-directed prayer in public schools is unconstitutional or not] The judges are likely to declare it unconstitutional. 
    • The Democratic president can [Speak out for government-directed prayer in public schools for +1 in Deep South,  +1 in the Upper South, +1 in natavist states, -1 unity, -1 in pro-immigrant states; Support the court's decision, regardless of what occurs [no effect]; Speak out against prayer in public schools [+1 Support in pro-immigrant states, -1 unity, +1 enthusiasm, -1 in Deep South, -1 in nativist states]
    • LBJ, desperately needing enthusiasm, and believing the Deep South will stay with him, makes a pitch against government-directed prayer in public schools. 
    • The Court then rules on the case, the dice are rolled, in an 8-1 decision, government-directed school prayer is declared unconstitutional. 

Political Points played for turn 7

• Democrats now have 4 PP, and all are placed on the US House elections
  • Republicans with a max of 10 PP, place one on NY Sen, CA Gov, MA Gov, PA Gov, CA Sen, IL Sen, KY Gov, MO Gov, NC Gov, PA Sen

Analysis: Both parties played this round relatively well. Republicans gained max enthusiasm, and started to expand their PP into several major elections. Democrats, having probably locked up the Deep South, and possibly the Upper South, aimed for more national policy and gained enthusiasm in the process. As they are now a 5 on the enthusiasm meter, they might prevent a wave election (on a dice roll), despite Republicans on a 7 (the max) on the enthusiasm meter. 

Up next -- Turn 8 -- Midterm Elections

Turn 8 - Midterm Election Day 1862!

US President: None

• None, but see polling map below

US Sen Elections: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, MO, NV, NH, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, UT, VT, WA, WI

• Dems hold: AL, AK, AR, CT, FL, GA, LA, MO, NV, NC, OH, OK, SC
  • Reps hold: CA, IA, KS, NH, NY, ND, SD, VT
  • Dems gain/Reps lose: KY, MD, UT, WA
  • Reps gain/Dems lose: AZ, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, OR, PA, WI
  • Democratic lead in the senate falls from a 63 supermajority to a 58 simple majority. 

US House Elections: Yes, all of them. 

• Dice rolls sees a minor wave, shift from 55% Dem to 55% Reps
  • Republicans now have a simple majority in the US House. 

US Governor's elections: AL, AK, AZ, CA, GA, HI, ME, MA, MN, NJ, NE, NV, NM, OK, OR, PA, SC, TX, VA, VT, WI, WY

• Dems hold: AK, WY, NV, NM, TX, AL, GA, SC, VA
  • Reps hold: HI, AZ, ME, VT, OR
  • Dems gain/Reps lose: none
  • Reps gain/Dems lose: CA, NE, OK, NJ, PA, MA, WI, MN
  • Republicans now control the majority of governorships with 26 of the 50 state governorships. 

Here is the current presidential polling situation for the upcoming 1964 election: 

1862midtermmap.jpg

Sadly, I think this will conclude my playthrough for the following reasons:

• It takes forever to type out the action of a boardgame. 
  • The game seems to be functioning as I had hoped. 
  • I'd rather devote the energy into making this game, which can only be made with your help. Please volunteer, so I can delegate at least of this titanic task, so we can see this game to completion. I am to make it free (at least for anyone on the 270Soft forum), and I'd gladly give it to Anthony for free when it's done, if he wants to make it into a PC game.