270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
elljawa

Obama 2008 run - President Infinity

I wish I had kept better notes during the run.  This was my first ever full game on PI, after a few false starts. I played on easy and feel I should have won by a higher margin, though it speaks to the games difficulty that I couldn't do as well as obama irl. 

Clinton started with a considerable lead in the primaries. 30% of the vote was her floor, but she was never able to gain much above that. Biden won the first 3 primaries to emerge as a surprise third place candidate, routinely picking up delegates in each primary. He wasnt able to rise above 20% or so at his most popular nationally, putting him squarely behind Obama and Clinton. He dropped out shortly before the home stretch, the last 700 or so delegates. While Obama got off to a slow start, he picked up considerably on and after Super Tuesday, winning every single primary by the end of the election. The final tally came out to Clinton at ~1700 delegates, Obama at ~1500, Biden at ~600, and the remaining delegates split between edwards, dodd, and perhaps a few to someone else who is slipping my mind.  

Meanwhile, Romney easily won the GOP primary, reaching the 50% point sometime in the middle of the spring. 

In the  conventions, Obama won after being endorsed by all of the other candidates (minus clinton of course) and chose Biden as VP, Romney chose Crist. Romney's early win gave him a strong electoral advantage, though he never held the popular vote. I worked to solidify out numbers in the great lakes region, the southwest, and some mid atlantic and southeast regions. We each won one debate. As the election drew near, I held a slight electoral advantage, with a lot of states up for grabs. I used my remaining resources to bomb them with all the ads I had on both me and romney, and crossed my fingers.

In the end, Obama won with 300 electoral college votes. this represented all of new england, the great lakes, the west coast, and 2 southwestern states or so. I wasnt able to win any traditional southern states, even ones I had polled well in like VA, NC, GA, and FL all went to Romney. On election night, Texas stayed blue for quite a long time before flipping red, which was a nice surprise. 

all in all, fun times, and we won, even if it was a disappointing win.