270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
President Trenton Adams

Panem Elections

So, I recently discovered an old project of mine, where I'd actually created a map of Panem (from the Hunger Games) using information from the series. I thought: What if Panem had been more democratic? What if this new society had emerged, and elected it's leaders. Mayors/Governors/whatever for each District, a President, and possibly some type of congress? 17 regions. The 13 Districts, the Capitol, and three fan-made Districts. Or I could even work on it as if it was the formation of the government after Mockingjay?

Would anyone be interested if I worked on this scenario?

18 minutes ago, President Trenton Adams said:

So, I recently discovered an old project of mine, where I'd actually created a map of Panem (from the Hunger Games) using information from the series. I thought: What if Panem had been more democratic? What if this new society had emerged, and elected it's leaders. Mayors/Governors/whatever for each District, a President, and possibly some type of congress? 17 regions. The 13 Districts, the Capitol, and three fan-made Districts. Or I could even work on it as if it was the formation of the government after Mockingjay?

Would anyone be interested if I worked on this scenario?

I mean this statement with all due respect and as constructive criticism, not mindlessly tearing this apart, but, as someone who is both strongly into politics and fiction (in fact, an amateur - basically, unpublished - sci-fi and fantasy author), I feel that, thematically, Panem stops being Panem in all the areas where it's interesting as a fictional setting if it becomes democratized, such as, for instance, Oceania from Orwell's "1984," would. But, of course, you're free to take from this advise what you will, or disregard it completely.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

I mean this statement with all due respect and as constructive criticism, not mindlessly tearing this apart, but, as someone who is both strongly into politics and fiction (in fact, an amateur - basically, unpublished - sci-fi and fantasy author), I feel that, thematically, Panem stops being Panem in all the areas where it's interesting as a fictional setting if it becomes democratized, such as, for instance, Oceania from Orwell's "1984," would. But, of course, you're free to take from this advise what you will, or disregard it completely.

Yeah, I started thinking about that exact thing, and thought it'd be interesting only for fan purposes to explore how the Republic of Panem might be set up after the abolition of the Hunger Games and fall of President Snow. Explore the election of a new President, how the government would form. Who would possibly run? Etc...