270soft Forum
servo75

Crash going in to election night

This happens when going into election night, after finishing an entire campaign too :(

pi_crash.JPG

I know my version of 2020 doesn't have this problem. 

5 hours ago, vcczar said:

I know my version of 2020 doesn't have this problem. 

Well I kind of figured that. :huh: I was hoping @admin_270 might be able to enlighten WHY my campaign has that issue.

@admin_270 One insight I've just gotten - this happened again, but when I went through the campaign straight to election night there was no problem. But when re-loading the autosaved file and going back into the election night, same error.

So my theory is that this happens after loading a sav file and then going into election night, having something to do with loading a save game.

11 hours ago, servo75 said:

@admin_270 One insight I've just gotten - this happened again, but when I went through the campaign straight to election night there was no problem. But when re-loading the autosaved file and going back into the election night, same error.

So my theory is that this happens after loading a sav file and then going into election night, having something to do with loading a save game.

Loading a game from .sav files and having them crash has been a perennial technical issue for all TheorySpark games at least since I first signed up for these forums back in 2007 when the P4E2008 game was just getting ready to put out it's first official non-beta release. Anthony himself has admitted it's a recurring problem.

I actually tested the same scenario in version 2.4.9 and the problem wasn't there, so it's something that broke in the newest version.

8 minutes ago, servo75 said:

I actually tested the same scenario in version 2.4.9 and the problem wasn't there, so it's something that broke in the newest version.

As I said, the issue of loading saved games has been a perennial, off-and-on issue with all of Theory Spark's games since at least I first signed up on these forums, which was 2007, about 10-and-a-half years ago. It's not been a consistent thing - more like a game of whack-a-mole.

@servo75

I just re-did the save-load in the game to fix a bug with save files being too large. So I recommend waiting until the next release, then checking if it still occurs. If it does, I can look at it.

Cool, thanks!

On 2/15/2018 at 4:54 PM, admin_270 said:

@servo75

I just re-did the save-load in the game to fix a bug with save files being too large. So I recommend waiting until the next release, then checking if it still occurs. If it does, I can look at it.

To be specific, the bug occurred in 2.6.9. Is the save-load you just redid in 2.7.0? I'm going to try that first, and if not, revert back to 2.5.8 for now. Thanks! Btw where can we find a version history?

UPDATE: I just installed 2.7.0 and the problem seems to be fixed. Maybe it was the "too big game save" problem :)

I don't think the .sav file I used right now was much smaller, but I do notice unlike the 2.6.9 it has only one .sav file per game which is much nicer anyway. Looking forward to the next full version!