270soft Forum
Sunnymentoaddict

Can you draw a Congressional map?

Wisconsin, Maryland, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania are all facing legal challenges to their legislative maps at the Federal level and State level. So, here's a simple fun challenge for everyone: can you draw a legislative map that has minimal gerrymandering influence? While,also abiding to the VRA and having at least one minority-majority district?

There's this wonderful browser tool (note: only works on IE), that I've spent ungodly amounts of hours on playing around with; and I'm curious how will you guys draw up the boundaries(if you were given the task).  

@Patine @Reagan04 @jvikings1 @Conservative Elector 2 @Kingthero @Lyly @thr33 @Wiw @WVProgressive @TheLiberalKitten @Sunnymentoaddict @SeanFKennedy @Presidentinsertname @CalebsParadox @Sandy @lok1999 @LokiLoki22 @SirLagsalott @NYrepublican @ThePotatoWalrus @pilight @jnewt @LegolasRedbard @avatarmushi @victorraiders @Bruce Fischer @vcczar @michaelsdiamonds @European Qoheleth (SANC) @MysteryKnight @TheMiddlePolitical @quakercane 

3 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Wisconsin, Maryland, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania are all facing legal challenges to their legislative maps at the Federal level and State level. So, here's a simple fun challenge for everyone: can you draw a legislative map that has minimal gerrymandering influence? While,also abiding to the VRA and having at least one minority-majority district?

There's this wonderful browser tool (note: only works on IE), that I've spent ungodly amounts of hours on playing around with; and I'm curious how will you guys draw up the boundaries(if you were given the task).  

@Patine @Reagan04 @jvikings1 @Conservative Elector 2 @Kingthero @Lyly @thr33 @Wiw @WVProgressive @TheLiberalKitten @Sunnymentoaddict @SeanFKennedy @Presidentinsertname @CalebsParadox @Sandy @lok1999 @LokiLoki22 @SirLagsalott @NYrepublican @ThePotatoWalrus @pilight @jnewt @LegolasRedbard @avatarmushi @victorraiders @Bruce Fischer @vcczar @michaelsdiamonds @European Qoheleth (SANC) @MysteryKnight @TheMiddlePolitical @quakercane 

I'm on mobile, Is that Dave's? I've redrawn Maryland already actually but the file is on my broken PC.

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I'm on mobile, Is that Dave's? I've redrawn Maryland already actually but the file is on my broken PC.

It is Dave's. Damn, that sucks your PC broke though. 

4 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

It actually isn't just IE you just need to install MS silverlight.

On 2/7/2018 at 3:53 PM, Sunnymentoaddict said:

It is Dave's. Damn, that sucks your PC broke though. 

I've gotten it to work on a tablet, let's see if I can recreate my map

On 2/7/2018 at 3:47 PM, Sunnymentoaddict said:

I'll give a go for what it's worth. I am miffed about using IE, but I'll try.

I'll certainly give it a crack.

EDIT: I've made a much cleaner, and fairer Maryland map. There are 2 republican, and 6 democrats. I will try and make an even fairer map, as a completely fair map would give Republicans 3 seats, and I will post it when it is made.

daee36bf5bab05b11733e3930fa26fd0.png

1: 41.4-57 McCain, R+11.8

2: 81.7-17.2 Obama, D+31.3

3: 42.7-55.7 McCain, R+10.4

4: 58.3-40.1 Obama, D+10.9

5: 64.9-34.2 Obama, D+13.9

6: 56.3-42.2 Obama, D+8.3

7: 70.8-28.1 Obama, D+23.8

8: 88-11.3 Obama, D+39

@lok1999I can post my Maryland when I get home, if I recall I have 2 red districts, 5 Blue districts and one with a PVI of Even. Well, technically it is R+0.03 but who's counting?:P

14 hours ago, lok1999 said:

I'll certainly give it a crack.

EDIT: I've made a much cleaner, and fairer Maryland map. There are 2 republican, and 6 democrats. I will try and make an even fairer map, as a completely fair map would give Republicans 3 seats, and I will post it when it is made.

daee36bf5bab05b11733e3930fa26fd0.png

1: 41.4-57 McCain, R+11.8

2: 81.7-17.2 Obama, D+31.3

3: 42.7-55.7 McCain, R+10.4

4: 58.3-40.1 Obama, D+10.9

5: 64.9-34.2 Obama, D+13.9

6: 56.3-42.2 Obama, D+8.3

7: 70.8-28.1 Obama, D+23.8

8: 88-11.3 Obama, D+39

My Maryland.
                      2008/2012-2016 PVI/ Demographics(White,Black,Hispanic, Asian)

• Blue CD 1: 55.6 D, 43.4 R/ D+ 3.73/ 60, 30, 4, 2  [This would be an interesting election in midterm elections such as 2014]
  • Green CD 2: 84.5 D, 14.8 R/ D+35.2/ 20.7, 59.6, 14.2, 3.1. [A solid Democratic seat that will fulfill the minority-majority obligations].
  • Purple CD3: 46.9 D, 51.5 R/ R+3.1/ 73.2, 15.2, 6.1, 2.7.   [I could easily the Democratic party target this district in 2018 as part of their plan to retake the House. Note, I will admit it is a bit funny looking. And will concede that].
  • Red CD 4: 44.3 D, 53.9 R/ R+ 5.61/ 78.4, 12, 3.1, 4.2 [Another possible 2018 pickup for Democrats, though still leans right and could swing back in 2020].
  • Yellow CD 5: 84.3 D, 14.7 R/ D+34.64/ 30.7, 60.6, 3.8, 2.8. [Another m-m district. Also it also prevents Baltimore from cut up in 3 different districts.]
  • Limegreen. CD 6:  65 D, 33.7 R/ D+16.79/ 48.6, 29.6, 8, 10.6. [ This is technically a m-m district in that whites do not have a clear majority, but a plurality. I will note that this was not intentional lol.
  • CD 7 Silver(much like yours): 73.3 D, 25.6 R/ D+26.05/ 50.8, 14.6, 18.3, 13.2. [If the 6th is technically was a m-m district, the 7 will technically not be one. ]
  • CD 8: 47.8 D, 50.7 R/ R+4.67/ 75.5, 10.1, 7.4, 5.5. [Another district that will easily be targeted by the Democratic party in 2018.]

While the map is relatively fair in terms of representation- 5D, 3R(close to the state wide results)- the geography of the electorate made it difficult to insure the state will always have 'proportional representation'. If the current polling on a generic ballot holds up on election day(ranges from D+5 to D+10), there could be a possibility that all of the seats could become blue. 

Untitled.jpg

@Sunnymentoaddict and @lok1999

District 1: Stays about the same, I cleaned it up so that it covers the Eastern Shore up to Harford County and then stops. It is an R+12 district and 78% White.

District 2: Greatly changed as it now encompasses the majority of Baltimore County with parts of Carroll and Howard in there too. This is probably the ugliest, I'll admit that, but as for the goal of keeping together likeminded communities this does just that by steering clear of Baltimore City. This is a perfect Democrat target, Even PVI and only 71% white, that sweet spot of White Middle Class Suburban voters.

District 3: Probably the most gerrymandered district in the nation, this was fun to fix. It reaches from East Baltimore to Rockville in Montgomery county. It is D+15 and only 52% White.

District 4: This District would become tied for 3rd most Democratic in the nation with CA-13 and PA-02, behind NY-13 and NY-15. It is quite obviously a D+40 district considering it encompasses the entire northern half of Prince George's County. It is m-m at 62% black, only 15% white.

District 5: This is the type of district the GOP would target in a landslide. It is D+7 and only 61% white but houses lots of Upper Class Conservatives. It holds Southern Maryland up to the Capitol of Annapolis.

District 6: This is the other Republican District covering all of Western Maryland but housing some Democrats in the form of Western Montgomery County. Overall it clocks in at R+6 but 77% white making it a hard sell for Democrats because most of the Republicans here are Mountain Rural Republicans, not likely to go Democrat.

District 7: This district houses West Baltimore as well as the urban parts of Howard and Baltimore counties. The result is a D+33 district and a 55% black constituency with only 34% of residents being white.

District 8: The heart of Montgomery county. Home to all the government worker white liberals of Maryland. Despite being 51% white this district clocks in at an impressive D+26. It is extremely diverse as far as minorities go being 15% black, 18% Hispanic, and 14% Asian.

If anyone has questions I'm happy to answer! I think I'll actually try to gerrymander Maryland into favoring Republicans now, that might be a fun practice.

MDdistricts.PNG

I have played with it a lot before. Unfortunately, in about six or seven years of playing with this site, I have only ever managed to complete Texas once. It is so massive that eventually it just crashes the browser.

Your Maryland looks nice and orderly!

2 hours ago, Lyly said:

I have played with it a lot before. Unfortunately, in about six or seven years of playing with this site, I have only ever managed to complete Texas once. It is so massive that eventually it just crashes the browser.

Your Maryland looks nice and orderly!

Thanks!

On 2/16/2018 at 3:09 PM, avatarmushi said:

Pennsylvania

5 Pvi Dem

6 Competitive Less than +5 Pvi

7 Pvi Rep

Screenshot (190).png

What's funny is that there are districts that look like the new PA map. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/pennsylvanias-new-map-helps-democrats-but-its-not-a-democratic-gerrymander/  

image.thumb.png.2676e10135711768c455e231810896b1.png

Minnesota map. I had something much more complicated, but IE crashed and I decided that a healthy dose oc Occam's Razor was what I needed.

The Stats

MN(01)

Average R53.4%

PVI R+12.75

Population Variance -5,266

MN(02)

Average Exact 50-50% (D+16 votes) I did this entirely by accident.

PVI R+5.48

Population Variance +15.065

MN(03)

Average Exact 50-50 (D+32 votes) Another happy accident. Thanks, Bob Ross.

PVI D+2.04

Population Variance -4,065

MN(04)

Average D67.4%

PVI D+20.31

Population Variance -6,405

MN(05)

Average D64.0%

PVI D+17.2

Population Variance -2,948

MN(06)

Average R50.5%

PVI R+1

Population Variance +8,576

MN(07)

Average D55.9%

PVI R+4.76 (Confuses me, do you want to be Republican or Democrat dist. 7? decide.

Population Variance -2,466

MN(08)

Average R51.9%

PVI R+11.58

Population Variance -7,426

RSAFE: MN(01); RLEAN: MN(08); MN(06); NOPREF: MN(02); MN(03); DLEAN: MN(07); DSAFE MN(04); MN(05);

AVG: R2.5, D3, T2

Coefficients: R3.5-D4 D53.3-R46.7%

AVG VOTE D54.1-R45.9 

DIF R+0.8% Within acceptable bounds

Also, if we can redistrict every US state except CA(uses nonpartisan redistricting) we could really change the complexion of congress.

image.thumb.png.832083cbc888eecb346f772826171101.png

is it just me or are my districts getting more... nihlistic. Like the Kansas state legislature realized how pointless it is, and that they shouldn't even bother.

There are three safe Reps with a single swing/leans rep. Those are very sad looking borders. I spent more time seeding out weird pointless 0 person districts than drawing them.

image.thumb.png.f245d8f67ef8b2bcaa97219b1bfa6b84.png

BONUS ROUND: Depressing NH. District 1 is +1.46R and 2 is +1.41D Both are considered to be toss ups.

I'll try

12 hours ago, LokiLoki22 said:

Also, if we can redistrict every US state except CA(uses nonpartisan redistricting) we could really change the complexion of congress.

you mean gerrymandering. and ca non partisan commission is bs. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/12/01/californiajust-proved-that-redistricting-reform-isnt-all-its-cracked-up-to-be/?utm_term=.dc9c5f2c4f21

21 hours ago, Presidentinsertname said:

Nice paywall.

23 hours ago, Presidentinsertname said:

Also, I don't have time to do forty odd districts. please let me skirt out of this.

piYFZNT.png

Re-did NC (Based off 538 Re-district)

Gives Republicans 6 Safe seats and 2 Likely Red seats, while giving Democrats 4 Safe seats and 1 Lean Blue seat.

It's not perfect by any means, but it gives Democrats better odds, as it is about 8-5 over the current 10-3.

image.thumb.png.8097fce69c4dd387e94889f65bda0589.png

Meet Wisconsin

WI-1

D+16.36

D64.0%

WI-2

PVI R+1.73

Avg R52.9%

WI-3

PVI R+7.34

Avg R56.1%

WI4

PVI R+5.51%

Avg R56.1

WI-5

PVI R+6.17 

avg R59.1%

WI-6

PVI D+3.39

Avg R51.0%

SWING DISTRICT

WI-7

PVI D+7.04

Avg D50.4%

SWING DISTRICT

WI-8

This map seems pretty fair, but actually gives Republicans a sizable advantage.

PVI R+7.95

AVG R62.5%