270soft Forum
ThePotatoWalrus

PoliSim Help

@ThePotatoWalrus  I think u should let us choose few leaders for president.

This would be my recommendation

Dem:

-Hillary

-Bernie

-Biden

-Liz Warren

-O'Malley

Rep:

-Trump

-Cruz

-Kasich

-Jeb

-Rubio

Also cabinet picks should include major party politicians as well as experts in those areas.

Also how would the congress work?Will it be detailed hearings and debates or more simplified ones?

What i would love to see is ability for us to Tweet on major issues and give press conferences.

In an earlier iteration, Hillary, Biden, and Sanders were Democratic choices, and Trump, Cruz and Rubio were GOP choices.

2 minutes ago, Rodja said:

Also cabinet picks should include major party politicians as well as experts in those areas.

Also how would the congress work?Will it be detailed hearings and debates or more simplified ones?

What i would love to see is ability for us to Tweet on major issues and give press conferences.

Yep, choosing your cabinet (the secretaries, at least, no EPA admin or small business admin at the moment) is 100% planned, with the ability to choose major people from either party.

I really want to go in-depth with the Congress, and even allow you to take part in it, in a way. In the final version, I want the player to have to prepare State of the Union speeches, and give Press Conferences (or let their Press Secretary handle it), but you'll have to fit it all into a schedule, so, you can't go golfing, tweet, meet with congresspeople, give an interview, command military operations and stuff, all in one day.

Also, in order to make the game as realistic as possible (I was going to reveal this later, but why not now?), your characters will have needs, such as personal health, boredom, and such, which can be solved by doing certain activities (such as golfing). Your character will also have certain stats, like negotiation (Trump gets a 4/5), intelligence, and even manipulation (Putin gets a 5/5). The needs are created to realistically reflect what a President does, and make the player do something about it (otherwise the player would likely never go golfing or something, which is something the President does frequently)

Also, another thing that I already had in mind but was going to reveal later was actually Twitter (though, it will be extremely basic as to not take away from the main part of the game, policies)

5 minutes ago, Rodja said:

I love your project more,more i read about it,

Don't get too hyped though. I have little time to work on this project, along with work, school, and basketball consuming a lot of my available time. I'd give this project realistically a less than 40% chance of reaching a playable stage, and a 5% chance of ever being completed.

34 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Don't get too hyped though. I have little time to work on this project, along with work, school, and basketball consuming a lot of my available time. I'd give this project realistically a less than 40% chance of reaching a playable stage, and a 5% chance of ever being completed.

That's sort of a disincentive to really help with the project. While it isn't a money investment, time investment is an investment nonetheless. An investor doesn't want to invest in a project if the chance of success is low. Risk/Reward belong in any sort of investment. 

55 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

In an earlier iteration, Hillary, Biden, and Sanders were Democratic choices, and Trump, Cruz and Rubio were GOP choices.

Yep, choosing your cabinet (the secretaries, at least, no EPA admin or small business admin at the moment) is 100% planned, with the ability to choose major people from either party.

I really want to go in-depth with the Congress, and even allow you to take part in it, in a way. In the final version, I want the player to have to prepare State of the Union speeches, and give Press Conferences (or let their Press Secretary handle it), but you'll have to fit it all into a schedule, so, you can't go golfing, tweet, meet with congresspeople, give an interview, command military operations and stuff, all in one day.

Also, in order to make the game as realistic as possible (I was going to reveal this later, but why not now?), your characters will have needs, such as personal health, boredom, and such, which can be solved by doing certain activities (such as golfing). Your character will also have certain stats, like negotiation (Trump gets a 4/5), intelligence, and even manipulation (Putin gets a 5/5). The needs are created to realistically reflect what a President does, and make the player do something about it (otherwise the player would likely never go golfing or something, which is something the President does frequently)

Also, another thing that I already had in mind but was going to reveal later was actually Twitter (though, it will be extremely basic as to not take away from the main part of the game, policies)

I personally think giving Trump a 4/5 in negotiation is mostly his self-promoted PR than what his history (both as President and as a businessman) REALLY show from a more sober, objective viewpoint.

20 minutes ago, vcczar said:

That's sort of a disincentive to really help with the project. While it isn't a money investment, time investment is an investment nonetheless. An investor doesn't want to invest in a project if the chance of success is low. Risk/Reward belong in any sort of investment. 

He probably means short-term.

33 minutes ago, Patine said:

I personally think giving Trump a 4/5 in negotiation is mostly his self-promoted PR than what his history (both as President and as a businessman) REALLY show from a more sober, objective viewpoint.

Perhaps, but 3 is considered average, and I'd consider Trump slightly above average.

13 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

He probably means short-term.

Yes, in the short term. I plan on quitting my job soon and maybe not playing basketball next year and both of those events would drastically improve the chance of a playable release this year.

3 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Yes, in the short term. I plan on quitting my job soon and maybe not playing basketball next year and both of those events would drastically improve the chance of a playable release this year.

Are you playing basketball for recreation, fitness, school standing, and comradery with those you play with, or do you REALLY think you'd stand up in an NBA draft? That's a good question to ask.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Are you playing basketball for recreation, fitness, school standing, and comradery with those you play with, or do you REALLY think you'd stand up in an NBA draft? That's a good question to ask.

All of the above. Whenever it's above freezing I'll always go to this outside court and stay there for about 3-4 hours by myself.

I started playing the sport too late to make the NBA, lol. I've only ever started playing the beginning of last year, though I have improved really fast, being the second best on the (jv) team. If I was good enough to play college I probably already would have been contacted by now, so no.

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Also, I live in Ohio so most days at the moment are freezing, lol. 

I live in Edmonton, where it's effectively winter to some degree or another for almost six months of the year. I believe I've heard my climate zone once quoted as being "subarctic," somewhere.

If anyone is wondering what @NYrepublican helped me with here it is.

The game now has a functioning scrollbar (as you can see in the bottom of the screen, along with my favorite color of the color schemes)

I had a problem figuring out how to program a working scrollbar, and he helped me with it and saved a couple days of dev time.

This is because I was going to do scrolling before I did the policy buttons or sub-menus.

It's a small thing, but it helps the look of the menu, I feel.

menu.png

And do we all have 100% approval rating at the beggigining.Seems unrealistic,gameplay would be better if it was 50%

11 hours ago, Rodja said:

@ThePotatoWalrus Why is it starting on 1/20/18?It would be more logical to start on 1/20/17

Can we see more submenus if they are made.

Probably will start on 1/20/17, just a placeholder date right now.

Trying not to show too many screenshots, or else the concept release would be pointless, lol.

10 hours ago, Rodja said:

And do we all have 100% approval rating at the beggigining.Seems unrealistic,gameplay would be better if it was 50%

No. Just a placeholder number. All candidates have different starting approval ratings. Trump's is 38%, Hillary is 42%, and Johnson's is 43% (if I remember correctly)

Had a lot of assignments today so I only had about half an hour to work on this, so I just wanted to show off the new Twitter option in the lower right corner. I also want to talk about how the game works.

First of all, to use Twitter, you click the phone in the bottom-right, and you will be given multiple different tweet styles to choose from (rude, unifying, etc.). There will also be a shortlist of celebrities that you can call out, and you can see different amounts of Twitter followers that you have and reactions to your tweets. 

menu.png

Also, the game is in real-time, but also semi-turn based.

Time in game passes in real time, and you can choose between certain speeds to speed up time or play it slower, though, you are limited to a certain amount of actions you can take per day. (Right now, you get five action points per day, with a lot of actions taking up more than others, for example, golf could take up 3-4 points in a day, leaving one point for a smaller event, such as tweeting, talking to cabinet members, or other small duties)

This is how time and actions work in the game at the moment, and is definitely subject to (and likely will) change.

Feedback is appreciated.

Also, a reminder. Twitter will be an extremely small part of the game, as the main focus will be the policies. Even the war features are going to be pretty basic (especially at the start). The focus is all about policies, and real-world statistics.

Lol, one final message (unless someone responds)

Trump has been bumped up from a 38%, to a 40%.

I use FiveThirtyEight for polling, and right now he is 0.1% away from 41%, and I like round numbers, so he's a 40% now. Clinton is still a 42% and Johnson is still a 43%.

Also, there won't be a disapproval rating in the game. Just an approval rating.

trumpapproval.png

2 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Lol, one final message (unless someone responds)

Trump has been bumped up from a 38%, to a 40%.

I use FiveThirtyEight for polling, and right now he is 0.1% away from 41%, and I like round numbers, so he's a 40% now. Clinton is still a 42% and Johnson is still a 43%.

Also, there won't be a disapproval rating in the game. Just an approval rating.

trumpapproval.png

A disapproval rating should be added for engine purposes(I'll elaborate in PM)

@ThePotatoWalrus I really love what you presented to this point and expect this to be a great game when finished. 

PS:Will there be any foreign policy IG?Like peace negotiations,UN resolutions,sanctions.

PS PS:I am here to help you with game concept cause i long wished to make a game like this but my programming skills are crap.

8 hours ago, Rodja said:

PS:Will there be any foreign policy IG?Like peace negotiations,UN resolutions,sanctions.

Yes, foreign policy is definitely planned. The UN, EU, NATO,  and maybe some other organizations will be in. Diplomacy will be a big part of the experience.

8 hours ago, Rodja said:

PS PS:I am here to help you with game concept cause i long wished to make a game like this but my programming skills are crap.

That's what this thread is for :)