270soft Forum
NYrepublican

Leader of the Resistance

In a more satirical project I've been thinking of doing about the anti-Trump "Resistance" in which they elected a "Leader of the Resistance".

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

In a more satirical project I've been thinking of doing about the anti-Trump "Resistance" in which they elected a "Leader of the Resistance".

Thoughts?

What's this?! When I saw this title I was expecting a REAL "leader of the resistance" scenario. Americans are making a big mistake, especially those who claim to oppose the current President, by turning the whole axis of U.S. politics into a strictly "pro-Trump" and "anti-Trump" political dichotomy. It feeds into his ego and legitimization, gives him credit for an administration he's otherwise been incompetent in, and leads to a cult of personality. "Pro-Putin" and "anti-Putin" are commonly-used defining political terms in Russia, and they were even used during Medvedev's "placeholder" Presidency. This shift of political axis and viewpoint is something I believe, in the long-term, Americans of all political parties and camps will come to rue, even after Trump has left office.

Sounds interesting. One question whom would you choose to be candidates? 

1 minute ago, WVProgressive said:

Not sure.Possibly Senators,activists etc.

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

What's this?! When I saw this title I was expecting a REAL "leader of the resistance" scenario.

Like?

2 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Like?

"Resistance," although at it's heart, root, and origin, as a word, is a term in very early physics referring to opposing phenomenon to "momentum" and "force" and is tied to "inertia," the word resistance, in a political sense in the modern day and age, has always carried with is the baggage of "armed" resistance against "tyrants" and brings images of guerilla armies in Third World Countries to mind in most people. In First World electoral politics where elections are (usually) free-and-fair, peaceful, and orderly, terms like "opposition," "coalition against <blank," even "joint-candidate against <blank>" are by far preferred terms. It's semantic, I know, but which language is such a powerful force on culture, society, and people's viewpoints, it is important to note.

54 minutes ago, Patine said:

"Resistance," although at it's heart, root, and origin, as a word, is a term in very early physics referring to opposing phenomenon to "momentum" and "force" and is tied to "inertia," the word resistance, in a political sense in the modern day and age, has always carried with is the baggage of "armed" resistance against "tyrants" and brings images of guerilla armies in Third World Countries to mind in most people. In First World electoral politics where elections are (usually) free-and-fair, peaceful, and orderly, terms like "opposition," "coalition against <blank," even "joint-candidate against <blank>" are by far preferred terms. It's semantic, I know, but which language is such a powerful force on culture, society, and people's viewpoints, it is important to note.

Well a worryingly large amount of people here think they're resisting the orange Hitler. (I kid you not)

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

Well a worryingly large amount of people here think they're resisting the orange Hitler. (I kid you not)

Why don't these uneducated kids go talk to one of the few (and diminishing) WW2 veteran or those who lived at that in a cognisant age about "Hitler." Or even a credible historian on WW2 or Nazi Germany. The willful ignorance of so many, nowadays, is appalling. But, one thing Trump and Hitler DID have in common is that they both won election and came to power on the back of an electoral support of such blatant ignorance, fear, gut emotion, lack of rationality, and buying into unrealistic and destructive promises.

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

Why don't these uneducated kids go talk to one of the few (and diminishing) WW2 veteran or those who lived at that in a cognisant age about "Hitler." Or even a credible historian on WW2 or Nazi Germany. The willful ignorance of so many, nowadays, is appalling. But, one thing Trump and Hitler DID have in common is that they both won election and came to power on the back of an electoral support of such blatant ignorance, fear, gut emotion, lack of rationality, and buying into unrealistic and destructive promises.

For your amusement here's an excerpt from a recent MoveOn E-Mail

"Donald J. Trump has proven himself to be completely unfit for office, a threat to our country, and an imminent danger to the world. He is not well; he is a malignant narcissist and an active sociopath. And because he holds the codes to fire nuclear weapons, he is a singular threat to humanity.

This situation is a nightmare. And the only reason that things aren't FAR WORSE than they already are is that millions of [resisters] have come together to engage in our democracy, resist, and organize."

14 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

For your amusement here's ane xcerpt from a recent MoveOn E-Mail

"Donald J. Trump has proven himself to be completely unfit for office, a threat to our country, and an imminent danger to the world. He is not well; he is a malignant narcissist and an active sociopath. And because he holds the codes to fire nuclear weapons, he is a singular threat to humanity.

This situation is a nightmare. And the only reason that things aren't FAR WORSE than they already are is that millions of [resisters] have come together to engage in our democracy, resist, and organize."

I think the word "sociopath" is far too freely thrown around. By the clinical definition used by psychologists (especially forensic psychologists), such as infamous figures as Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin, Kim Il-sung, Benito Mussolini, Osama bin-Laden, Moummar Gadaffi, Saddam Hussein, the Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, and others, and including Trump, I guess, don't even remotely begin to qualify. They are all certainly nasty individuals with chips on their shoulders and issues to prove to the world, often in horrible ways, and are willing to conscien, order, and promote atrocities in their regimes for their particular vision, but they are not actually sociopaths. Sociopaths have no passion, no care for the consequences of their actions, no long-term viewpoint on life or the world, and no charisma or captivating qualities. However, some sociopaths do find their way into positions under governments headed by the sort of people listed above that allow them to do atrocious things themselves legally (by the standards, and encouragement, of the given regime), and are often chosen because they can do the "dirty work" with absolutely no moral qualms, issues, or complaints, but sociopaths, as properly defined, do not gravitate to apex positions of power.

19 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

@wolves @CalebsParadox any thoughts?

If you mean like a party where theres anti-Trump, sounds nice and fun to play as, all depends on how you poll them though.

20 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

-Keith Ellison

-Bob Avakian, founder of Refuse Fascism

-Justin Ruben, president of MoveOn

-Chokwe Antar Lumumba, mayor of Jackson

-Kristen Gilibrand

-Governor Tom Wolf,Pennsylvania

-Rep Kennedy III

-Sherrod Brown

-John Kerry

It'll be a two-round election, this'll take time to develop and hopefully we'll get word from @admin_270 about the update by then.