270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Presidentinsertname

Labour threats

58 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

This is one junior member, not the whole Labour Party (like your thread title would imply). Is Sharon Angle calling for "Second Amendment Solutions" for Harry Reid's re-election as Senator of Nevada in 2010 (an obvious reference to someone shooting him) indicting the whole Republican Party for the comment?

52 minutes ago, Patine said:

This is one junior member, not the whole Labour Party (like your thread title would imply). Is Sharon Angle calling for "Second Amendment Solutions" for Harry Reid's re-election as Senator of Nevada in 2010 (an obvious reference to someone shooting him) indicting the whole Republican Party for the comment?

Well you portray it more harshly than it actually is

Angle: I feel that the Second Amendment is the right to keep and bear arms for our citizenry. This not for someone who’s in the military. This not for law enforcement. This is for us. And in fact when you read that Constitution and the founding fathers, they intended this to stop tyranny. This is for us when our government becomes tyrannical...

Manders: If we needed it at any time in history, it might be right now.

Angle: Well it’s to defend ourselves. And you know, I’m hoping that we’re not getting to Second Amendment remedies. I hope the vote will be the cure for the Harry Reid problems.

4 hours ago, Patine said:

no but if you do research in to this group and the leader of the labour party.

And? She'll resign. There's nothing really here to talk about other than perceived spread of radicalism which is hilarious.

1 minute ago, Presidentinsertname said:

you will be hoping he never comes to power.

I honestly was one of the people hoping Corbyn wouldn't come to power but after a year of May, is it really worse?

Just now, Presidentinsertname said:

Home Secretary Diane Abbott.

Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Jeremy Hunt

Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond

Whats your point?

Atleast if Diane Abbott was home sec, I'd be able to have a chance at being a police officer.

3 hours ago, wolves said:

Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Jeremy Hunt

Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond

Whats your point?

Atleast if Diane Abbott was home sec, I'd be able to have a chance at being a police officer.

she compare terrorists to hair style (not making that up @patine

the women dont know what the fuck she is doing it.

1 hour ago, Presidentinsertname said:

she compare terrorists to hair style (not making that up @patine

the women dont know what the fuck she is doing it.

Donald Trump makes arbitrary declarations about what is and is not a terrorist too. He says outright, "all terrorists are Moslems," so his friendly dealings with Gerry Adams in the '80's can't be called having ever supported terrorism, by his own unilateral (but very false) declaration.

As a Labour member, I need to say that Momentum is really frightening. Especially the loyalty pledges. The Blairites who tried to oust Corbyn I fear have made a terrible mistake by supporting him after the election. I don't think Labour can win the next election though, since Corbyn is still unpopular

On 1/27/2018 at 8:13 PM, LegolasRedbard said:

As a Labour member, I need to say that Momentum is really frightening. Especially the loyalty pledges. The Blairites who tried to oust Corbyn I fear have made a terrible mistake by supporting him after the election. I don't think Labour can win the next election though, since Corbyn is still unpopular

Corbyn's personal ratings are no worse than Thatcher's in 1979, Heath's in 1970 or even Cameron's in 2010. Indeed, Callaghan famously had a 19-point lead over Thatcher on the question of preferred prime minister on the eve of the 1979 election. Sustained positive personal ratings are actually quite an unusual thing; when opposition parties win elections it is often a case of a default victory rather than of any great enthusiasm. I mean, it's much easier to imagine a voter who votes for a party despite not really liking its leader ("best of a bad bunch") than it is to imagine a voter who doesn't vote for a party despite actually liking its leader. 

40 minutes ago, RFK/JFKfan said:

Corbyn's personal ratings are no worse than Thatcher's in 1979, Heath's in 1970 or even Cameron's in 2010. Indeed, Callaghan famously had a 19-point lead over Thatcher on the question of preferred prime minister on the eve of the 1979 election. Sustained positive personal ratings are actually quite an unusual thing; when opposition parties win elections it is often a case of a default victory rather than of any great enthusiasm. I mean, it's much easier to imagine a voter who votes for a party despite not really liking its leader ("best of a bad bunch") than it is to imagine a voter who doesn't vote for a party despite actually liking its leader. 

That's how I felt here in Canada in 2015. Having voted for Jack Layton in all four elections he had been leader of the NDP (2004, 2006, 2008, and 2011) and considering him a very good leader with a definite message I could get behind, his unfortunate demise shortly after taking the NDP to it's greatest height as a Federal Party ever in 2011, and his replacement with the uncharismatic, corrupt, and of-dubious-history Thomas Mulcair left me a definite least of all evils scenario, where I voted for Trudeau as such (though not enthusiastically at all) as Mulcair had really disappointed me and Harper had to go.