Jump to content
270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

General Historical Scenarios Update

Recommended Posts

On 2/23/2018 at 9:09 AM, vcczar said:

@Nulla Lex Ink.

What would help me is if you could post these as comments under the elections in the campaign area of the website. I check those before updating. I may likely fail to add them otherwise. Excellent suggestions. 

Oh, sure thing! :) Will start to add them there now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I adjusted the numbers of 1960. The voter turnout was waaaaaay too high for that time period. Is there any way I can send this to you, @vcczar? I think I might do the same for 1860 since it's pretty darn high as well. Having trouble finding "Voting age" or "Voting eligible" populations for then though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

I adjusted the numbers of 1960. The voter turnout was waaaaaay too high for that time period. Is there any way I can send this to you, @vcczar? I think I might do the same for 1860 since it's pretty darn high as well. Having trouble finding "Voting age" or "Voting eligible" populations for then though.

Post a comment under the campaign in the campaign download section and I'll reach out to you when I get to both 1860 and 1960. I really appreciate you discovering these imperfections. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, vcczar said:

Post a comment under the campaign in the campaign download section and I'll reach out to you when I get to both 1860 and 1960. I really appreciate you discovering these imperfections. 

No problem dude, glad I can be of help :) I should also note that the turnout I've recorded is not precise numbers. A lot of them are rounded, so you'll see a lot of numbers like 3,000,000 or 258,000. It was all I could find unfortunately. I'm going to tinker with 1964 today or some time over the weekend, as it had the same overly high turnout as 1960. Johnson got over 80 million votes :D

On another note, it seems like 1908 is lopsided in Bryan's favor instead of Taft's, though I'm not sure if it's just my game or not, since I've tinkered with all of them a bit to adjust the simulation party (yet another side note, I've added it to 1968). But I cannot access the campaign website to re-download it to check. Do you know what that's about? Is there a site issue or did the site change address, or is it just me? The one I'm using to try and access it is campaigns.270soft.com.

Also, sorry to keep posting my notes all over the place, outside of the campaign topics. I hope you don't mind. They're more reminders for me for later than anything else :)

Edit: And one more thing, where's the campaign download section at? I'm having trouble locating it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

No problem dude, glad I can be of help :) I should also note that the turnout I've recorded is not precise numbers. A lot of them are rounded, so you'll see a lot of numbers like 3,000,000 or 258,000. It was all I could find unfortunately. I'm going to tinker with 1964 today or some time over the weekend, as it had the same overly high turnout as 1960. Johnson got over 80 million votes :D

On another note, it seems like 1908 is lopsided in Bryan's favor instead of Taft's, though I'm not sure if it's just my game or not, since I've tinkered with all of them a bit to adjust the simulation party (yet another side note, I've added it to 1968). But I cannot access the campaign website to re-download it to check. Do you know what that's about? Is there a site issue or did the site change address, or is it just me? The one I'm using to try and access it is campaigns.270soft.com.

Also, sorry to keep posting my notes all over the place, outside of the campaign topics. I hope you don't mind. They're more reminders for me for later than anything else :)

Edit: And one more thing, where's the campaign download section at? I'm having trouble locating it.

All the campaigns are on the right under President Infinity: http://campaigns.270soft.com/

This is accessed through the main 270Soft Page. 

In regards to 1908, I didn't have that issue; although, I haven't played 1908 in a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@vcczar Which would be the earliest election with Barnum as a what-if so I can remind you? Also, I'm still working on gathering those party icons, though I've become very frustrated with Google - it's getting difficult to get good results outside of pop culture or very recent zeitgeist searches, and some searches you wonder how certain things actually came up (like, it seems EVERY single image search, no matter what it is or how inappropriate him coming up it for may be, always ends up with at least one of image Donald Trump).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Patine said:

@vcczar Which would be the earliest election with Barnum as a what-if so I can remind you? Also, I'm still working on gathering those party icons, though I've become very frustrated with Google - it's getting difficult to get good results outside of pop culture or very recent zeitgeist searches, and some searches you wonder how certain things actually came up (like, it seems EVERY single image search, no matter what it is or how inappropriate him coming up it for may be, always ends up with at least one of image Donald Trump).

1868 would be the earliest. The last year he is an endorser is 1888. Theoretically, he could be in campaign any of those years. However, in 1876, he is a mayor, which means 1876 might be the best start date for him as a candidate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

All the campaigns are on the right under President Infinity: http://campaigns.270soft.com/

This is accessed through the main 270Soft Page. 

In regards to 1908, I didn't have that issue; although, I haven't played 1908 in a long time. 

I figured that out shortly after I posted the message and the edit. Sadly, I'm still having trouble accessing it. I'll figure something out though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Patine said:

@vcczar Which would be the earliest election with Barnum as a what-if so I can remind you? Also, I'm still working on gathering those party icons, though I've become very frustrated with Google - it's getting difficult to get good results outside of pop culture or very recent zeitgeist searches, and some searches you wonder how certain things actually came up (like, it seems EVERY single image search, no matter what it is or how inappropriate him coming up it for may be, always ends up with at least one of image Donald Trump).

When I'm looking for historical images on google, I often find the "similar to this" link to be helpful. Sometimes it's just another rabbithole you don't want to be in, but sometimes it is a rabbithole of everything you were looking for. Google is really a mixed bag...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got to access the site again. I checked, and unfortunately 1908 is lopsided in Bryan's favor instead of Taft's. Haven't got around to fixing 1860 or 1964 yet, but now that I have access to the site I can finally post those notes there :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2018 at 11:41 AM, vcczar said:

All the campaigns are on the right under President Infinity: http://campaigns.270soft.com/

This is accessed through the main 270Soft Page. 

In regards to 1908, I didn't have that issue; although, I haven't played 1908 in a long time. 

Quick question. Will you take suggestions for third parties or third party candidates? I've noticed a few elections didn't have some of them or had a few candidate omissions within them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

Quick question. Will you take suggestions for third parties or third party candidates? I've noticed a few elections didn't have some of them or had a few candidate omissions within them.

I'll add all 3rd parties that got at least 1% in a state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'll add all 3rd parties that got at least 1% in a state. 

Alright. I already left some suggestions on 2016, so any that don't qualify, just ignore, haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

Quick question. Will you take suggestions for third parties or third party candidates? I've noticed a few elections didn't have some of them or had a few candidate omissions within them.

I love Third Parties, at least as a concept, if no specific one(s). They represent a theoretical ray of political hope for the future, even if they're almost never fulfilled as such...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Patine said:

I love Third Parties, at least as a concept, if no specific one(s). They represent a theoretical ray of political hope for the future, even if they're almost never fulfilled as such...

Same here. That's part of why I love elections from 1876 to the early 1900s. The third parties always seemed to score a pretty good percent of the vote when combined. 2016 had the potential to have a significant showing for a third party candidate, but unfortunately the two major ones ran pretty boring and even incompetent candidates that either couldn't attract more votes or even scared away some votes. I mean, it's not their fault who ran, but it was a little disappointing that the parties fizzled out when this was their best chance for a good showing in a long while. I was also let down by Evan McMullin. I don't support him in any way but I hoped he'd win in Utah, or at least win a few counties or come in second place statewide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

Same here. That's part of why I love elections from 1876 to the early 1900s. The third parties always seemed to score a pretty good percent of the vote when combined. 2016 had the potential to have a significant showing for a third party candidate, but unfortunately the two major ones ran pretty boring and even incompetent candidates that either couldn't attract more votes or even scared away some votes. I mean, it's not their fault who ran, but it was a little disappointing that the parties fizzled out when this was their best chance for a good showing in a long while. I was also let down by Evan McMullin. I don't support him in any way but I hoped he'd win in Utah, or at least win a few counties or come in second place statewide.

I was hoping McMullin would win UT too. I was also hoping Libertarians would drain more of the Trump vote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@vcczar

I posted several different third party candidates under each election. All of the parties got at least one percent in one state each, I made sure of it :) Still haven't redone 1860 or 1964's population counts yet, but I did add Darryl Perry and Marc Feldman to 2016. I plan on adding some Green candidates too. I also added the Constitution, PSL and ADP parties, though only one candidate each. I remember you saying the 1% rule but I kinda went ahead and added them to my own game, just for fun, and I thought I'd ask if you'd like them too. Still kind of working on the numbers.

Anyways, hope that all helps. I'll look into potential VPs for main parties and some more potential candidates soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

@vcczar

I posted several different third party candidates under each election. All of the parties got at least one percent in one state each, I made sure of it :) Still haven't redone 1860 or 1964's population counts yet, but I did add Darryl Perry and Marc Feldman to 2016. I plan on adding some Green candidates too. I also added the Constitution, PSL and ADP parties, though only one candidate each. I remember you saying the 1% rule but I kinda went ahead and added them to my own game, just for fun, and I thought I'd ask if you'd like them too. Still kind of working on the numbers.

Anyways, hope that all helps. I'll look into potential VPs for main parties and some more potential candidates soon.

I noticed. I greatly appreciate it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I noticed. I greatly appreciate it!

I still plan to capitalize on the permission you'd given to, when all your scenarios are finished, to do a full "Third Party and Independent Wonk Edition" of all the scenarios from 1872 on with the addition of EVERYONE who actually ran or threatened to run outside the main parties, no matter how pitifully they historically did, included - but, as I said, as separate editions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listed the candidates per scenario so far, and here are my results:
 

John Adams: 1788-1812
John Quincy Adams: 1804-1836
Samuel Adams: 1788-1800
Fisher Ames: 1800
James Armstrong: 1788
John Bell: 1836
Thomas Hart Benton: 1828-1836
James Buchanan: 1828-1836
Aaron Burr: 1792-1820, 1828
John C. Calhoun: 1820-1836
Lewis Cass: 1828-1836
Langdon Cheves: 1824
Henry Clay: 1812-1836
John M. Clayton: 1832-1836
DeWitt Clinton: 1804-1828
George Clinton: 1788-1812
William H. Crawford: 1812-1832
John J. Crittenden: 1828, 1836
Davy Crockett: 1828-1832
Andrew Jackson Donelson: 1836
Oliver Ellsworth: 1796
Millard Fillmore: 1836
John Floyd: 1832-1836
Benjamin Franklin: 1788
Horatio Gates: 1788
Elbridge Gerry: 1800-1812
Alexander Hamilton: 1792-1820, 1828
John Hancock: 1788-1792
Robert H. Harrison: 1788
William Henry Harrison: 1812-1836
John Henry: 1796
Patrick Henry: 1788-1796
Sam Houston: 1828-1832
Samuel Huntington: 1788-1792
James Iredell: 1796
Andrew Jackson: 1812-1836
John Jay: 1788-1820
Thomas Jefferson: 1788-1816
Samuel Johnston: 1796
Richard Mentor Johnson: 1832-1836
Rufus King: 1800, 1808-1824
William Rufus King: 1832-1836
Henry Laurens: 1788
Henry Lee: 1800-1804
Richard Henry Lee: 1788-1792
Benjamin Lincoln: 1788
Nathaniel Macon: 1824
William Maclay: 1788-1792
James Madison: 1788-1820, 1828
William L. Marcy: 1828-1836
Willie Person Mangum: 1828-1836
John Marshall: 1804-1828
George Mason: 1788
John McLean: 1828-1836
John Milton: 1788
James Monroe: 1796-1828
Gouverneur Morris: 1800-1804
Robert Morris: 1788-1800
Harrison Gray Otis: 1812-1836
Thomas Paine: 1788
Charles Wilson Peale: 1788
Timothy Pickering: 1816
C. C. Pinckney: 1792-1812
Thomas Pinckney: 1796
James K. Polk: 1832-1836
John Randolph: 1808-1832
Richard Rush: 1824
John Rutledge: 1788-1792
Winfield Scott: 1828-1836
William H. Seward: 1836
Roger Sherman: 1788
Simon Snyder: 1812-1816
Thaddeus Stevens: 1832
Edward Telfair: 1788
Daniel Tompkins: 1812-1820
Smith Thompson: 1824
John Tyler: 1828-1836
Martin Van Buren: 1824-1836
Artemas Ward: 1788-1792
George Washington: 1788-1800
Daniel Webster: 1816-1836
Hugh Lawson White: 1828-1836
James Wilson: 1788-1792
William Wirt: 1824-1832
Levi Woodbury: 1828-1836

Only four candidates have non-contiguous ranges. Three of them (Hamilton, Burr, and Madison) are due to @jvikings1 doing the 1824 election and having different candidate criteria, but what strikes me is that Rufus King doesn't appear in the 1804 scenario, which was, like most of the rest, made by @vcczar.

EDIT 03/28/2018: 1836 added. John J. Crittenden is now non-contiguous, appearing in 1828 and 1836, but not 1832.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Caprice said:

I listed the candidates per scenario so far, and here are my results:
 

John Adams: 1788-1812
John Quincy Adams: 1804-1832
Samuel Adams: 1788-1800
Fisher Ames: 1800
James Armstrong: 1788
Thomas Hart Benton: 1828-1832
James Buchanan: 1828-1832
Aaron Burr: 1792-1820, 1828
John C. Calhoun: 1820-1832
Lewis Cass: 1828-1832
Langdon Cheves: 1824
Henry Clay: 1812-1832
John M. Clayton: 1832
DeWitt Clinton: 1804-1828
George Clinton: 1788-1812
William H. Crawford: 1812-1832
John J. Crittenden: 1828
Davy Crockett: 1828-1832
Oliver Ellsworth: 1796
John Floyd: 1832
Benjamin Franklin: 1788
Horatio Gates: 1788
Elbridge Gerry: 1800-1812
Alexander Hamilton: 1792-1820, 1828
John Hancock: 1788-1792
Robert H. Harrison: 1788
William Henry Harrison: 1812-1832
John Henry: 1796
Patrick Henry: 1788-1796
Sam Houston: 1828-1832
Samuel Huntington: 1788-1792
James Iredell: 1796
Andrew Jackson: 1812-1832
John Jay: 1788-1820
Thomas Jefferson: 1788-1816
Samuel Johnston: 1796
Richard Mentor Johnson: 1832
Rufus King: 1800, 1808-1824
William Rufus King: 1832
Henry Laurens: 1788
Henry Lee: 1800-1804
Richard Henry Lee: 1788-1792
Benjamin Lincoln: 1788
Nathaniel Macon: 1824
William Maclay: 1788-1792
James Madison: 1788-1820, 1828
William L. Marcy: 1828-1832
Willie Person Mangum: 1828-1832
John Marshall: 1804-1828
George Mason: 1788
John McLean: 1828-1832
John Milton: 1788
James Monroe: 1796-1828
Gouverneur Morris: 1800-1804
Robert Morris: 1788-1800
Harrison Gray Otis: 1812-1832
Thomas Paine: 1788
Charles Wilson Peale: 1788
Timothy Pickering: 1816
C. C. Pinckney: 1792-1812
Thomas Pinckney: 1796
James K. Polk: 1832
John Randolph: 1808-1832
Richard Rush: 1824
John Rutledge: 1788-1792
Winfield Scott: 1828-1832
Roger Sherman: 1788
Simon Snyder: 1812-1816
Thaddeus Stevens: 1832
Edward Telfair: 1788
Daniel Tompkins: 1812-1820
Smith Thompson: 1824
John Tyler: 1828-1832
Martin Van Buren: 1824-1832
Artemas Ward: 1788-1792
George Washington: 1788-1800
Daniel Webster: 1816-1832
Hugh Lawson White: 1828-1832
James Wilson: 1788-1792
William Wirt: 1824-1832
Levi Woodbury: 1828-1832

Only four candidates have non-contiguous ranges. Three of them (Hamilton, Burr, and Madison) are due to @jvikings1 doing the 1824 election and having different candidate criteria, but what strikes me is that Rufus King doesn't appear in the 1804 scenario, which was, like most of the rest, made by @vcczar.

Thanks for this. I think Rufus King is a VP in that election. Should I ever get around to updating 1804 again (will only happen if Anthony introduces a major update) then I'll make him a presidential possibility. I'm on 1832, and I'm not going backwards. I've emailed @jvikings1 my suggestions. I think I suggested Hamilton, Burr and Madison as what-ifs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Thanks for this. I think Rufus King is a VP in that election. Should I ever get around to updating 1804 again (will only happen if Anthony introduces a major update) then I'll make him a presidential possibility. I'm on 1832, and I'm not going backwards. I've emailed @jvikings1 my suggestions. I think I suggested Hamilton, Burr and Madison as what-ifs. 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, vcczar said:

Thanks for this. I think Rufus King is a VP in that election. Should I ever get around to updating 1804 again (will only happen if Anthony introduces a major update) then I'll make him a presidential possibility. I'm on 1832, and I'm not going backwards. I've emailed @jvikings1 my suggestions. I think I suggested Hamilton, Burr and Madison as what-ifs. 

 

5 hours ago, Caprice said:

Thank you!

I'm going to add them when I get the time.  However, I'm currently in the middle of taking 18 hours worth of college classes, so my free time is limited.  This combined with extracurricular activities and time spent hanging out with friends doesn't leave me much to work on the scenario.  Although, I hope to put in work over the summer with the suggestions that Vcczar made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jvikings1 said:

 

I'm going to add them when I get the time.  However, I'm currently in the middle of taking 18 hours worth of college classes, so my free time is limited.  This combined with extracurricular activities and time spent hanging out with friends doesn't leave me much to work on the scenario.  Although, I hope to put in work over the summer with the suggestions that Vcczar made.

You won't miss that when you're my age. Trust me! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1832
William Wirt - National Republican
Nicholas Biddle

1840
Daniel Webster VP

1844
James Buchanan and William Rufus King

1848
Thomas Corwin? - Whig
Abbott Lawrence - Whig VP
Daniel Webster - Whig VP
John A. Quitman - Democrat VP
Zachary Taylor - Democrat

1856
John C. Fremont - Democrat
John A. Quitman - Democrat VP
Linn Boyd - Democrat VP

1860
Benjamin Fitzpatrick - Democrat VP
Cassius M. Clay - Republican VP

1864
James Guthrie - Democrat VP

1884
Chester Alan Arthur - VP

1964
Milton S. Eisenhower - Republican

Just posting this here as a reminder for later. I will be posting them under individual pages later :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×