270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

General Historical Scenarios Update

I'm sort of meandering from my original organized method, and I'm starting off with adding new candidates to every scenario. These updates won't be released until entire scenarios are updated. But I'm up to 1840 with new candidates. 

I've now added candidates to every election through 1844. In this last election, Mr. Abraham Lincoln, then aged 35, is a what-if VP option, but he isn't spectacular yet. 

43 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I've now added candidates to every election through 1844. In this last election, Mr. Abraham Lincoln, then aged 35, is a what-if VP option, but he isn't spectacular yet. 

And he's still a member of the Whig Party in 1844, correct?

12 hours ago, Patine said:

And he's still a member of the Whig Party in 1844, correct?

Yes. 

I've now updated candidates through 1848. This election is the first one that allows for Lincoln as a presidential candidate (He's a US Rep at the time). Van Buren, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanan, Lincoln, and Johnson are all historical presidents that could potentially face off in this election. The rise of abolitionism, brings in many anti-slavery activists into presidential politics. I've also included Jefferson Davis as a what-if candidate. This is also the first election that allows for Stephen A. Douglas. 

I plan on updating candidates through 1860, and then going back and updating other elements of these scenarios. I'll then release 1812-1860 all at the same time, I think. 

1852 what-if candidates added, including Zachary Taylor (what-if he hadn't died in office). 

More what-if 1856 candidates have been added. The Union or Unionist Party has been added, a sort of precursor to the Constitutional Union Party, basically former Whigs that weren't abolitionist enough to be Republicans and weren't anti-immigrant enough to be Know Knothings. 

I know it's very far off from where you're at right now, but do you think you could add Bob Casey Sr. to 1996 when you get around to that election? I recently discovered he intended to run against Clinton, but ill health forced him to abandon those plans.

Also, in 1852 there was another dark horse candidate that was almost put forth in lieu of Franklin Pierce, Henry C. Murphy. The delegation voted on it and Pierce was put forward over Murphy by one vote.

I also had a bunch of other somewhat obscure candidates I was going to recommend, but unfortunately I've lost track of most of them due to being really busy lately. I can come back here whenever I recall some though, if you don't mind :)

24 minutes ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

I know it's very far off from where you're at right now, but do you think you could add Bob Casey Sr. to 1996 when you get around to that election? I recently discovered he intended to run against Clinton, but ill health forced him to abandon those plans.

Also, in 1852 there was another dark horse candidate that was almost put forth in lieu of Franklin Pierce, Henry C. Murphy. The delegation voted on it and Pierce was put forward over Murphy by one vote.

I also had a bunch of other somewhat obscure candidates I was going to recommend, but unfortunately I've lost track of most of them due to being really busy lately. I can come back here whenever I recall some though, if you don't mind :)

I actually had Casey, sr. as an off-by-default candidate for my old United States 1996 scenario by P4E2008, which was my very first U.S. Presidential Scenario since registering on the TheorySpark forums, and one of my first two scenarios period, along with Austria 2008 for K4E, as a matter of fact.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

More what-if 1856 candidates have been added. The Union or Unionist Party has been added, a sort of precursor to the Constitutional Union Party, basically former Whigs that weren't abolitionist enough to be Republicans and weren't anti-immigrant enough to be Know Knothings. 

Wasn't that the party that tried unsuccessfully in RL to draft Daniel Webster as it's candidate, and historically basically collapsed when he declined?

Sort of dumb to ask but it'd be interesting if a few people could get together to start releasing scenarios based on foreign elections too. I find those a lot more interesting than US ones due to the lack of availability.

1 minute ago, wolves said:

Sort of dumb to ask but it'd be interesting if a few people could get together to start releasing scenarios based on foreign elections too. I find those a lot more interesting than US ones due to the lack of availability.

I have plans to do a lot of foreign elections, as well as Canadian ones (which are domestic to me, and TECHNICALLY U.S. ones are foreign, but semantics aside), but I seem to be on my own except for map requests here and there for the majority of ones I have any interest in doing - there are no committees of any sort...

7 minutes ago, wolves said:

@wolves Well @Patine's been working on a Reichstag 1871 scenario since April 10, 2016.

Granted information was limited for this one.

3 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

@wolves Well @Patine's been working on a Reichstag 1871 scenario since April 10, 2016.

Granted information was limited for this one.

Frustratingly limited.

52 minutes ago, Patine said:

Wasn't that the party that tried unsuccessfully in RL to draft Daniel Webster as it's candidate, and historically basically collapsed when he declined?

Yeah, they ran Webster in 1852. I wouldn't say it completely collapsed. It pretty much never really formed. I don't think Webster was really on board in 1852 . They had quite a few notable politicians, mostly in the South, but by then the Democratic Party was already monopolizing the Southern votes, so there wasn't much room for them to compete.  

I got another somewhat-obscure candidate for you. William Hale Thompson, 1928, Republican party. He had hoped for the nomination at the convention, but didn't receive it, which he blamed on the lack of support from Ruth Hanna McCormick.

Been going through and making a little pet project of mine here recently, so I'm seeing some more "obscure" candidates lately. It seems like most all are covered in the game. I'll let you know of anymore if I see them though! :)

9 hours ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

I got another somewhat-obscure candidate for you. William Hale Thompson, 1928, Republican party. He had hoped for the nomination at the convention, but didn't receive it, which he blamed on the lack of support from Ruth Hanna McCormick.

Been going through and making a little pet project of mine here recently, so I'm seeing some more "obscure" candidates lately. It seems like most all are covered in the game. I'll let you know of anymore if I see them though! :)

I don't think I have him for 1928. You'll have to remind me when I get close to that election. I'm working on uploading 1816. I've added what-if candidates through 1868, but I'm going go back down to 1816 and work myself back up to 1868, finishing the rest of the updating. 

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I don't think I have him for 1928. You'll have to remind me when I get close to that election. I'm working on uploading 1816. I've added what-if candidates through 1868, but I'm going go back down to 1816 and work myself back up to 1868, finishing the rest of the updating. 

Did you remember P.T. Barnum?

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Did you remember P.T. Barnum?

No. I'll need to add him. Thanks for reminding me. 1872-1884 will probably be the range where he is active. He didn't become Circus King until 1870 or 1871, when he was 60. He was a Mayor in the mid-1870s. Therefore, he isn't a reasonable candidate until he is nationally well-known. By 1884, he's in his mid-70s, which is about when I have most of the what-if candidates end their presidential aspirations. 

Awesome work,i have a free weekend so i can defidently help you with this. I prefer a method to just basically copy and paste candates who ran to atleast the next 2-3 elections. So if wed want to play as them being incumbent. I can defidently help you with adding them

36 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Awesome work,i have a free weekend so i can defidently help you with this. I prefer a method to just basically copy and paste candates who ran to atleast the next 2-3 elections. So if wed want to play as them being incumbent. I can defidently help you with adding them

That isn't where I need help. I got that handled. I just need people to play through the scenario and let me know if everything is balanced, historically speaking. In some cases, I'll need people to double check population and delegate numbers--basically, the more tedious work. Would you volunteer for tedious work? 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

No. I'll need to add him. Thanks for reminding me. 1872-1884 will probably be the range where he is active. He didn't become Circus King until 1870 or 1871, when he was 60. He was a Mayor in the mid-1870s. Therefore, he isn't a reasonable candidate until he is nationally well-known. By 1884, he's in his mid-70s, which is about when I have most of the what-if candidates end their presidential aspirations. 

Did you see my other post about Henry Murphy in 1852? Just making sure :) I'll be sure to remind you about Thompson in '28 and Casey in '96.

12 minutes ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

Did you see my other post about Henry Murphy in 1852? Just making sure :) I'll be sure to remind you about Thompson in '28 and Casey in '96.

No. I'll check the campaign comments when I get to the major updating. 

Just thought I'd add a couple more candidate ideas. Silas Wright in 1848 was apparently considered a frontrunner for the Democratic nomination, but passed away suddenly the year before. And in 1996, Dan Quayle lead in a few polls conducted. I know you're still real busy, just putting them down for reminders :)

9 hours ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

Just thought I'd add a couple more candidate ideas. Silas Wright in 1848 was apparently considered a frontrunner for the Democratic nomination, but passed away suddenly the year before. And in 1996, Dan Quayle lead in a few polls conducted. I know you're still real busy, just putting them down for reminders :)

@Nulla Lex Ink.

What would help me is if you could post these as comments under the elections in the campaign area of the website. I check those before updating. I may likely fail to add them otherwise. Excellent suggestions.