270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ratx

Romney - Clinton Tie

Getting back into PI over the winter break, and decided to switch up my usual routine of playing Dems by running as Mitt Romney in the 2016 GOP primaries. I did pretty poorly in the early primaries and held a steady 2nd place behind Trump for much of the race, but made up significant ground in the second half and ended up in a virtual popular vote tie with Trump with a slight delegate lead. I knew from the start that the convention was going to be contested, so I managed to snag most of the endorsements from Bush, Christie, Rubio, Paul etc, who all withdrew (Cruz stayed in until the very end). I ended up winning the convention, and chose Gov. Martinez of New Mexico as my running mate. Hillary won the Dem primary and chose John Kerry as her VP. I held a moderate lead in the popular vote (2-3 points) for most of the general election. At my peak, I was projected to win 300-330+ EVs, leading in all the sunbelt states (plus NM, AZ, NV, CO, etc), the midwest, and within striking distance in Illinois (!). However, the election became pretty volatile in the final month, with Hillary projected to win almost 300 EVs at one point. Florida, Pennsylvania, NM, NC and the rest of the Midwest kept flipping back and forth. I held a pretty solid 290/300+ lead going into election night. I managed to hold onto most of the Sunbelt but narrowly lost most of the Midwest. I narrowly lost Washington state after it kept flipping back and forth and appearing as if I'd manage to squeak by. With everything else holding steady, I was anticipating being declared the winner with exactly 270 votes once Alaska and Hawaii tallied their votes when Montana suddenly flipped blue and left us tied. The House voted for Romney, so I ended up winning. This was a nail-biter!

Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 12.30.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 11.42.25 PM.png