270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Final Update: US 1828

I've started working on this election already. I've added several what-if candidates:

• Aaron Burr
  • James Buchanan
  • John Tyler
  • William Marcy
  • Lewis Cass
  • Willie Mangum
  • Hugh White
  • Davy Crockett
  • Sam Houston
  • Levi Woodbury
  • Thomas Hart Benton
  • DeWitt Clinton
  • Alexander Hamilton
  • Winfield Scott
  • John McLean
  • Harrison Gray Otis
  • John J. Crittenden

10 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I've started working on this election already. I've added several what-if candidates:

• Aaron Burr
  • James Buchanan
  • John Tyler
  • William Marcy
  • Lewis Cass
  • Willie Mangum
  • Hugh White
  • Davy Crockett
  • Sam Houston
  • Levi Woodbury
  • Thomas Hart Benton
  • DeWitt Clinton
  • Alexander Hamilton
  • Winfield Scott
  • John McLean
  • Harrison Gray Otis
  • John J. Crittenden

How are these candidates divided (in your viewpoint) into the incipient Second Party System?

11 hours ago, Patine said:

How are these candidates divided (in your viewpoint) into the incipient Second Party System?

Clinton through Crittenden are National Republican. Burr through Benton are Democrat. 

Although, actually Otis was still a Federalist, even though the party was completely dead at the National level. Otis, Marshall, and a few other old Federalists never joined another party. Speaking of which, I should add Marshall 

Update: Added Madison and Monroe as what-if candidates. 

Madison, Monroe, JQ Adams, Jackson, Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Buchanan are all candidates who will become president at some point. In addition, we have the following losing nominees: Crawford, Clay, Calhoun, Webster, White, Mangum, Cass, and Scott. This gives this scenario 8 presidents, and 8 losing nominees. I'm wondering if any other scenario will have such a high number. 

Update: Writing out events

Update:

• Tinkered the candidates, platforms, issues a bit.
  • I created a party of unpledged voters.
  • I added Sen. William Smith of SC as a VP candidate 

Update: Wrote out more 1828 events to capture the mudslinging

Update: I've added about half the new endorsers for this scenario. 

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎23 at 9:31 AM, vcczar said:

Update: I've added about half the new endorsers for this scenario. 

Oh, just wanted to remind you about including the Contrafacta ad type, which was really a big thing in this election and the 1832, to a lesser degree the 1836, as well as the 1824 one @jvikings1 is finishing up.

5 hours ago, Patine said:

Oh, just wanted to remind you about including the Contrafacta ad type, which was really a big thing in this election and the 1832, to a lesser degree the 1836, as well as the 1824 one @jvikings1 is finishing up.

Ok I'll make a note of that 

35 minutes ago, Patine said:

Did you read my email this morning?

Yes, and I responded. Thanks!

Update: Added more endorsers for five more states. 

Updated: Endorsers have been completed, except for some more newspapers, which I hope to add soon. 

As @Patine suggests Contrafacta have been added to the 1828 scenario. 

I'll do more updates to this scenario tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be on to 1832 by next week. 

I've made several more changes, including adding more issues and adding descriptions for far-left and far-right on all of the issues. I still need to set the platform stances for the candidates on these new issues. 

Update: 

• Altered regional %s
  • Set platform stances of candidates, according to update issues
  • Added general election bonuses
  • Changed the money co-efficient

I've added updated candidate descriptions. There's a lot of younger politicians. Tennessee Governor Sam Houston at 34 is the youngest (would be 35 by the time he became president). 

Update:

• Added surrogates
  • Altered some of the colors of the candidates (There will be repeats since I have so many What-ifs)
  • Changed the National Republican party color to correspond with Wikipedia

All I have to do now is double check the events (I might add some new ones), then I have to double check who is controlling congress, and then I'll be ready for a map by @Lyly

Some of these events are included, but I will be adding the following, if they aren't already included:

Congressional Caucus discontinued; both Adams and Jackson agreed to destroy it
Jackson's mother was a prostitute
Corrupt Bargain
Jackson marriage bigamous 
Jackson claims Jefferson's support
Duff Green US Telegraph (DC paper until 1835, when it favored Calhoun.)
Thomas Ritchie Richmond Enquirer
Joseph Gales and William Seaton National Intelligencer
- Adams doesn't trust political parties; reluctant to take part in Clay's National       Republican party
Jackson denies part in the Aaron Burr controversy
Mechanics Union of Trade Associations (PA)
Workingmen's Party (PA)
Adams trying to create a monarchy
Jackson counters attacks on his mother and his wife as "Base calumnies" 
"Jackson and Reform"
Adams as the Pimp of the Coalition
Jackson portrayed as a jackass
Coffin Handbills accuse Jackson of murder
William Morgan and anti-masonics
Clay calls Jackson a military chieftain
Jackson called a son of a mulatto
Adams accused of "royal extravagances" 
Democrats spread rumor that Adams is seeking a title of nobility from England!
Jackson accuses Adams of trying to unite Church and State
Jackson as the Defender of New Orleans

• December 29, 1827: Andrew Jackson leaves for New Orleans
  • January 4, 1828: Pennsylvania state convention nominate National Republican John Quincy Adams for reelection; the convention nominates Gov. John A. Schulze for Vice President; he later declines
  • January 8, 1828: Jackson commences his campaign in New Orleans on the 13thanniversary of the Battle of New Orleans. The Louisiana legislature organizes a four day event
  • January 12, 1828: Virginia National Republican Convention endorse Rush.
  • January 18, 1828: Baltimore Patriot reports the Democratic Virginia convention endorsed Calhoun for VP with 164 votes, 20 for Nathaniel Macon, 5 scattering
  • January 24, 1828: Pittsfield Sun reports Pennsylvania state convention nominates Treasury Secretary Richard Rush for Vice-president.
  • January 23, 1828: Maine Virginia National Republican Convention endorses Rush.
  • January 1828: “Nicholas Biddle of the Bank of the United States implements the sale of government securities to curtail the outward flow of specie. This policy results in propositions by Congress for the public sale of United States Bank stock.”
  • January 31, 1828: Jacksonian Democrats introduce a high tariff to the Congress hoping to use it as a campaign issue when the bill does not pass, angering manufacturers in the Northeast who are left without a tariff.
  •  May 11, 1828: “Proposed by South Carolinian and Vice President John Calhoun in an attempt to bolster support for Andrew Jackson’s bid for President, Congress passes a new tariff bill.”

On 1/15/2018 at 9:35 AM, vcczar said:

Update: Added Madison and Monroe as what-if candidates. 

What parties are they in?

@vcczar I think I have decent party logos for most parties from 1788-1896, including several eras and major factions of pre-Progressive Era Democrats and Republicans, but with the exception of the Nullifiers, who I'm somewhat struggling to find a logo for that's not just a portrait of Calhoun or Floyd.

@Caprice I have Madison and Monroe as Democrats. Although, Madison could arguably be made into a National Republican, but I don't think he'd find Clay as attracted as Adams. Alternatively, they could be Independent or Old Republicans. I include them as Democrats, primarily because they better fit them than Clay's American System. I think they're too old to run as an Independent. They're partially there to obstruct a Jackson nomination. 

@Patine Thanks. Is there nulliication cartoon or image from a newspaper at that time? 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

@Caprice I have Madison and Monroe as Democrats. Although, Madison could arguably be made into a National Republican, but I don't think he'd find Clay as attracted as Adams. Alternatively, they could be Independent or Old Republicans. I include them as Democrats, primarily because they better fit them than Clay's American System. I think they're too old to run as an Independent. They're partially there to obstruct a Jackson nomination. 

@Patine Thanks. Is there nulliication cartoon or image from a newspaper at that time? 

I haven't found one yet, strangely enough. I'll have another look though.

Ok, outside of a new logo and a new map, this scenario is done. I won't post it until these are updated and also not until 1824 is put up by @jvikings1 (no rush). I'll continue on to 1832 next. 

Here is the updated file if anyone wants to play and see if I missed updating anything: 

United States - 1828-Mar16-2018.zip