270soft Forum
Presidentinsertname

Will they ever be a black republican president?

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Well, since you put is that way, I guess I'm beaten hands down in this debate. :S

Just in case the lack of tone in that text fails to give it away, that sentence above was doused in sarcasm. I REALLY wish you would stop throwing specific examples, instances, or anecdotes as though they automatically proved your point outright or disproved someone else's in a broader, wider-scope topic, when said specific point is counter to, even an exception to, often a marginal, fringe one, at that, the issue at hand. It's really bugging me, and it's a poor and annoying debating tactic.

When else have I supposedly done it?

4 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

When else have I supposedly done it?

A ridiculous number of times. I could go into your profile and go to total posts made and link them all, but I don't have that kind of time. Like may ingrained bad habits most people have, you probably don't even realize your doing it. I'm just asking you, in the future, stop using counterproductive anecdotes and specific, even marginal examples to try to prove or disprove broader and larger-scale issues. However many times you've done it in the past, it's enough that I've noticed the trend, and I think I've pointed it out to you at least once before. I'm asking you to dispense with that flawed technique, at least when discussing issues with me.

41 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

The Govt. being controlled by Verizon just sounds so ridiculous.

Maybe not one corporation, but maybe a handful of corporations. Given the high dollar amount of campaign contributions and the number of cabinet positions being filled with former executives of large corporations, it is hard to ignore their influence on our government.

19 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Maybe not one corporation, but maybe a handful of corporations. Given the high dollar amount of campaign contributions and the number of cabinet positions being filled with former executives of large corporations, it is hard to ignore their influence on our government.

And other nations' governments, for that matter...

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

And other nations' governments, for that matter...

Well China controls the debt so they more or less already control the US

Just now, NYrepublican said:

But the mega-corporations themselves don't owe that debt to China, which further complicates the issue.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

They only own roughly 1/17 of our debt, which isn't even close to a majority. The largest bulk of our debt is owned by ourselves. That said, there's literally no laws stopping chinese businessmen from buying media organizations in hopes of swaying the public discourse. 

1 minute ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

They only own roughly 1/17 of our debt, which isn't even close to a majority. The largest bulk of our debt is owned by ourselves. That said, there's literally no laws stopping chinese businessmen from buying media organizations in hopes of swaying the public discourse. 

1/17th of 20 trillion is a significant number. And "owe to ourselves" means owed to a domestic organization for things like building jails.

1/17th of 20 trillion is a significant number. And "owe to ourselves" means owed to a domestic organization for things like building jails.

Ah, yes. Private, for-profit prisons. One of the biggest visible and well-known institutional violations en masse of human rights on U.S. soil against U.S. citizens today that somehow gets ignored and brushed under the carpet as not being an issue by many Americans.

But still it is far from saying "they own our debt". I know we are really getting off topic, but any Republican- white, black, or hispanic- will be forced with complicated task of balancing the budget without causing too much discomfort to the social programs.  That said, I honestly see Tim Scott as a possible strong VP pick for 2024-depending on where the GoP is in that election.

25 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

But still it is far from saying "they own our debt". I know we are really getting off topic, but any Republican- white, black, or hispanic- will be forced with complicated task of balancing the budget without causing too much discomfort to the social programs.  That said, I honestly see Tim Scott as a possible strong VP pick for 2024-depending on where the GoP is in that election.

Balancing the budget has not been a strongpoint of U.S. Presidents of either party for close to a century.