270soft Forum
Patine

Lunar Assembly 2045

@JDrakeify @willpaddyg @daons @LegolasRedbard @Prussian1871 @wolves @SirLagsalott @michaelsdiamonds @victorraiders @Patine @Falcon @jnewt @President Garrett Walker @Reagan04 @Conservative Elector 2 @SeanFKennedy @vcczar @jvikings1 @harveyrayson2 @lizarraba @TheMiddlePolitical @CalebsParadox @MrPrez @msc123123 @NYrepublican  @RI Democrat @servo75  @Presidentinsertname  @ThePotatoWalrus @Sunnymentoaddict @TheLiberalKitten @Quebecois @avatarmushi @Sami @WVProgressive @Kingthero

This is for something a bit different and more freeform. It does indeed fit into my hypothetical future series of scenarios, but is more a sharp segwe from normal procedures. I will give full credit that @Kingthero's recent RP was the direct inspiration to actually do this, even though I made criticisms for his particular approach, but the specific details are my own and were largely come up with a number of years ago when I first crafted the initial version of the whole hypothetical future arc (even before I first registered for these forums, or, indeed, before TheorySpark first even released P4E2004, their first product). The storyline is as follows:

-Several nations (the U.S., the U.K. Russia, China, Brazil, and Australia), as well as a private, multi-national corporation called Lunacorp, establish a number of stations and, later, colonies, on the Moon over a 20 or so year period. With a number of innovations to water and air recycling, energy generation, and yeast and soy growing, processing, and efficiency technologies, the colonies become theoretically self-sufficient, if not enjoying the full comforts and luxuries of life on Earth. Political, economic, and military issues on Earth cause the oversight and authority of colonial governance from Earth to loosen significantly, but it still remains the only market for luxury good, industrially-produced products, most organic materials, and fresh resources, as well as contact, communication, and congress with friends, family, and political and business associates who remained Earthside, which are still greatly desired to one degree or another by the vast majority of colonists.

Due to a number of concerns on the Moon itself, and as a way to create a forum between governmental jurisdictions of Lunar colonies to settle disputes and propose legal regulations for Lunar interests without relying on the growingly distant and slow-to-respond bureaucracies of their parent governments on Earth, and highly encouraged by Lunacorp, who, by this point, has acquired de facto sovereign nation status, a Lunar Assembly representing the various colonies is to be elected with, at this point, no initially binding powers or mandates, but to discuss and propose solutions for Lunar affairs going forward. More to come...

Hmm... Interesting scenario. Probably wouldn't make it, but I'd like to test it. The leader of the moon should be fascist though, lmao.

I'd be interested in something like this

15 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

The leader of the moon should be fascist though, lmao.

Okay, even though my instincts tell me not to, I'll bite. Why do think this?

Sounds interesting.

6 hours ago, Patine said:

Not for any particular reason. It just seems like something that would happen in a dystopian novel or movie or something, like some fascist guy taking over the moon.

13 hours ago, Patine said:

I might see it if Lunacorp is involved in the forming of the lunar government, because I highly doubt a corporation wealthy enough to establish a lunar colony will want a government that isn't friendly to capitalism-or them in general.  That said, I would to help figure out the demographics of said lunar colony. 

as a fan on fansty..count me in on helping with canidates and parties

@JDrakeify @willpaddyg @daons @LegolasRedbard @Prussian1871 @wolves @SirLagsalott @michaelsdiamonds @victorraiders @Patine @Falcon @jnewt @President Garrett Walker @Reagan04 @Conservative Elector 2 @SeanFKennedy @vcczar @jvikings1 @harveyrayson2 @lizarraba @TheMiddlePolitical @CalebsParadox @MrPrez @msc123123 @NYrepublican  @RI Democrat @servo75  @Presidentinsertname  @ThePotatoWalrus @Sunnymentoaddict @TheLiberalKitten @Quebecois @avatarmushi @Sami @WVProgressive @Kingthero @Lyly

Thank-you everyone whose shown interest (and who may yet). Here are some more initial ideas.

-The founder and CEO of Lunacorp is a man named Daniel Skye, originally an African-Canadian engineer from Vancouver who first got rich by discovering (at a fictitious point around a decade or so from the present day) a huge cache of diamonds previously unknown and made accessible by the receding icecap in Greenland after pre-emptively (and on a gamble, originally)securing a mineral extraction rights contract from the Danish and Greenlandic governments. He may become involved directly in the Lunar Assembly elections himself, or try to play an "eminence grease" or "power behind the throne" roll as a very powerful and influential (and rich) endorser, surrogate, and ideologue - I haven't quite decided which role I imagine him playing.

-Most political parties and candidates, and the actual demographics have yet to be nailed down firmly, but @TheMiddlePolitical and @Sunnymentoaddict have generously offered to aid with that. Given the founding powers of the colonies, the demographics of the six national ones are more or less intuitive, with some notable deviations, though Lunacorp has a much more international scope of employees and colonists, with the original engineering, management, logistics, and defense/law-enforcement tending to come from Canadian, American, European, Japanese, South Korean, Israeli, and educated and affluent Indian, Latin American, Filipino, Indonesian, and South African origin and they have (and I know it's a grim fact) also imported people of not so privileged background as labourers, maintenance, hydroponic farm employees, services, and less demanding trades.

-One political party has, however, been firmly decided. The Lunar Preservation Front (LPF) is a radical Lunar independence organization dedicated to complete and unified sovereign self-government from (separate in ideology, agenda, and application from Lunacorp's ambitions other than the concept of independence). Though somewhat popular in certain circles of Lunar society, and having a definite base of population to recruit from, the LPF is legally and technically on the list of terrorist organizations of a number of Earth nations, including most of the parent nations who sponsored colonies.

More to come...

I'll be happy to help write and/or proofread descriptions, issues, events, etc. and to do research for future tech and political possibilities. I also happen to have a map of the moon that I have a pretty good idea for.

5 hours ago, Lyly said:

I'll be happy to help write and/or proofread descriptions, issues, events, etc. and to do research for future tech and political possibilities. I also happen to have a map of the moon that I have a pretty good idea for.

Ah, those would be great help too.