270soft Forum
bobmart32

Question concerning the game.

Hi, I'm new here, but I've been playing this game regularly since I was kid, starting with President forever 2004, and now President Infinity. I had just gotten my IT certs and recently, after playing one of the newer games, I was curious about learning more about the code. If any of the creators can confirm, PI is written in c++, with data parsing from xml. I would like to contribute to your game, with what little programming experience I have, for absolutely free. I ask for no credit in return. This software has been fun for me for years, and I am passionate about politics and I'm passionate about programming. :) Also, if you could tell me, what compiler and game engine was used?

7 hours ago, bobmart32 said:

Hi, I'm new here, but I've been playing this game regularly since I was kid, starting with President forever 2004, and now President Infinity. I had just gotten my IT certs and recently, after playing one of the newer games, I was curious about learning more about the code. If any of the creators can confirm, PI is written in c++, with data parsing from xml. I would like to contribute to your game, with what little programming experience I have, for absolutely free. I ask for no credit in return. This software has been fun for me for years, and I am passionate about politics and I'm passionate about programming. :) Also, if you could tell me, what compiler and game engine was used?

Wow! Playing P4E2004 as a kid. That makes me feel old. I was playing Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, and Intellivision games as a kid, and envied two of my friends for having Apple II series computers, which were top of the line back then. Though, in my observation, Anthony has been reluctant to accept such "help" unsolicited, even unpaid. He didn't even accept such a volunteer as a second moderator to start an official OT forum here. He might surprise me, but I don't know...

lol the 2 most modern games on my computer are Counterstrike and President Infinity. I grew up on older games like Mario and Donkey kong, and I can't stand WoW or most modern games. I love this game because it takes a risk. Politics and board games are usually left to old people, but this game is absolutely addicting and it only gets better every election it seems. As someone who wants to enter politics in my home country, I would love to contribute to this kind of project and I wouldn't even take credit, I would just be happy. 

18 minutes ago, bobmart32 said:

lol the 2 most modern games on my computer are Counterstrike and President Infinity. I grew up on older games like Mario and Donkey kong, and I can't stand WoW or most modern games. I love this game because it takes a risk. Politics and board games are usually left to old people, but this game is absolutely addicting and it only gets better every election it seems. As someone who wants to enter politics in my home country, I would love to contribute to this kind of project and I wouldn't even take credit, I would just be happy. 

I can't stand Counterstrike or any FPS game, and I admit to playing WoW, but I also love many TBS games like Civ2 (including ToT, but not the later iterations), and Alpha Centauri, and some RTS (pre-MOBA) games like Ensemble Studios Age of Empires series and Age of Mythology, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (not to be confused with the much more recent Battlefront 1 and 2, which I detest), Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-earth 2 (but not 1), StarCraft 1 (but not 2), Warcraft 3 (but not 1 and 2). Most newer games are not at all attractive to me, though, and I'm constantly searching tech forums for tricks to get my favourite games to run on each new iteration of Windows.

2 hours ago, Patine said:

I can't stand Counterstrike or any FPS game, and I admit to playing WoW, but I also love many TBS games like Civ2 (including ToT, but not the later iterations), and Alpha Centauri, and some RTS (pre-MOBA) games like Ensemble Studios Age of Empires series and Age of Mythology, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (not to be confused with the much more recent Battlefront 1 and 2, which I detest), Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-earth 2 (but not 1), StarCraft 1 (but not 2), Warcraft 3 (but not 1 and 2). Most newer games are not at all attractive to me, though, and I'm constantly searching tech forums for tricks to get my favourite games to run on each new iteration of Windows.

I like counterstrike, but only because it's the better FPS games out there, and I gotta troll CS fans every once and a while   I loved Civ 3 the most,  and I play aoe2 on steam. When I was in Dubai, they were still selling the full packaged Warcraft 3 RoC and Frozen Throne for 10.00. I wish I bought it. It seems all modern gaming is is shootem ups and half-baked storylines. 

I used to play P4E as a kid too, or a teen, if you will. This is actually my account from that time.
I guess I'm in the mid-range age gamer group too (I hesitate to say 'old-school' since I didn't even have a computer until 2004). Like Patine said, I spend a lot of time trying to make older games play, or to mod older games, as may be the case. The Age of Empires/Mythology was the shit! Starcraft is fun, though I've never owned a copy myself (I think I've played 1, not 2). I still have SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4, but I splurged this past weekend to buy Cities: Skylines.

Current games I play are all of the grand-strategy sort, like Crusader Kings and Victoria. I do use steam, but mostly to play free games. Can't really stand the shooter games, mostly because using a wired mouse on a bare wooden desk is not really a good way to play them!

@bobmart32

Yes, the game is made in C++ with some XML. Two different compilers are used (one for Windows, one for Mac). The Windows one has just been upgraded to a Clang compiler.

If you want to help with coding, the best way to do that would be to make a stand-alone, thirty-party app that does something for the game. For example, a play-by-e-mail app that automates transmitting a save game from one player to another might be useful. Or an app that analyses exported spreadsheet info about the election results, and puts it into a map.

5 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

@bobmart32

Yes, the game is made in C++ with some XML. Two different compilers are used (one for Windows, one for Mac). The Windows one has just been upgraded to a CLANG compiler.

If you want to help with coding, the best way to do that would be to make a stand-alone, thirty-party app that does something for the game. For example, a play-by-e-mail app that automates transmitting a save game from one player to another might be useful. Or an app that analyses exported spreadsheet info about the election results, and puts it into a map.

Well I always wanted to get around to learning XML processing so I may try to do the latter. It'd also be a good refresher course for me considering I haven't programmed in awhile.

@admin_270 When you get around to making a Linux version I'll beta-test for you.

46 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

@bobmart32

Yes, the game is made in C++ with some XML. Two different compilers are used (one for Windows, one for Mac). The Windows one has just been upgraded to a Clang compiler.

While I've learned c++, I'm more specialized in c#, so that'll take a lot of steps, but I can do it; if NYRepublican doesn't beat me to the punch first lol :P

4 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

Well I always wanted to get around to learning XML processing so I may try to do the latter. It'd also be a good refresher course for me considering I haven't programmed in awhile.

Sounds awesome! Note that the post-election spreadsheets aren't encoded in XML, they're in a simple comma separated format.

3 hours ago, bobmart32 said:

While I've learned c++, I'm more specialized in c#, so that'll take a lot of steps, but I can do it; if NYRepublican doesn't beat me to the punch first lol :P

Awesome! If you do attempt that kind of project, you can contact me for info or questions ( http://270soft.com/contact ).