Jump to content
270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Final Update: US 1808

US 1808 Election  

4 members have voted

  1. 1. Will you be able to help with any of the following?

    • Play through the scenario and offer general feedback.
      0
    • Play through as the Federalists and make sure it isn't too easy to win (it should be a struggle)
    • Help with other aspects such as double-checking information in the editor or in the .xls files, etc.
    • Sorry, I can't help with this scenario


Recommended Posts

Update: Amended Newspaper ad costs and time to make. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Added 4 more events

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the updated scenario for @Lyly to add the 1808 map. It would be great if @Lyly @WVProgressive @LokiLoki22 could play through the scenario as the Federalists. It should be very difficult to win, but not impossible to hold on to a few states, even if you lose in a landslide. 

Here is the file: 

United States - 1808 test.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And here is the scenario with map added.

United States - 1808.rar

Should be fun to get to play through with the Democratic-Republicans fighting amongst themselves for the first time. I love the colors this year, by the way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Lyly said:

And here is the scenario with map added.

United States - 1808.rar

Should be fun to get to play through with the Democratic-Republicans fighting amongst themselves for the first time. I love the colors this year, by the way!

Thanks! Where in Texas are you? I just moved from Austin. I also lived in San Marcos, and I was born and raised in Dallas, TX. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Thanks! Where in Texas are you? I just moved from Austin. I also lived in San Marcos, and I was born and raised in Dallas, TX. 

I live in Denton, but I'm from East Texas originally.

Here's my playthrough so far, by the way. This is the day before Madison is officially nominated.
ebXKnP9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lyly said:

I live in Denton, but I'm from East Texas originally.

Here's my playthrough so far, by the way. This is the day before Madison is officially nominated.
ebXKnP9.png

Was it easy to get this lead? Ideally, it would be difficult. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lead itself was pure chance. Madison seems to have had a crisis of confidence within his own party. It actually happened three times, you can see the divots on his percentages line up there. Madison's lead in every state was reduced by about 60% and then popped right back up to normal by the end of the week. Even so, this was the only time I had the states close enough that that put me in the lead, and it was literally only for 5 days. He also came back this time with the nomination boost to his popularity, so I was further behind afterward than before. He went back to a 24% lead in Pennsylvania and a handy lead in both Carolinas, although less so. I only managed to pick up a couple of points in Pennsylvania during this event (and is the only reason it is targettted in the above map).

So the lead was practically impossible, to be honest. I would not be able to replicate that. But I have keep the race at 89 electoral votes to my 86 for a few weeks now, so on that front, I would argue it might be a tad easier than is intended. Let me play a little more today and give you another update before you change too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lyly said:

The lead itself was pure chance. Madison seems to have had a crisis of confidence within his own party. It actually happened three times, you can see the divots on his percentages line up there. Madison's lead in every state was reduced by about 60% and then popped right back up to normal by the end of the week. Even so, this was the only time I had the states close enough that that put me in the lead, and it was literally only for 5 days. He also came back this time with the nomination boost to his popularity, so I was further behind afterward than before. He went back to a 24% lead in Pennsylvania and a handy lead in both Carolinas, although less so. I only managed to pick up a couple of points in Pennsylvania during this event (and is the only reason it is targettted in the above map).

So the lead was practically impossible, to be honest. I would not be able to replicate that. But I have keep the race at 89 electoral votes to my 86 for a few weeks now, so on that front, I would argue it might be a tad easier than is intended. Let me play a little more today and give you another update before you change too much.

Ok, that's good then. I was afraid it would be too easy to win with Pinckney. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playthrough update:

kDsPaf0.png

Okay, maybe it is too easy for Pinckney after all. After what I called Madison's 'crisis of confidence' (which occurred just after he had secured the nomination, but before the convention), his campaign got a nomination boost, which set the Federalists back to the eastern states which I had retained from the first few weeks of the campaign (MA, NH, RI, CT, DE, NJ) New York, Vermont, and Maryland remained the chief swing states, plus the next lower tier battleground in the Carolinas. This advantage, effectively a return to the norm, remained for a few more weeks as I put the map back together to what I feel has been a stable stale-mate.

Shortly after Madison's convention, I got a successful scandal against him in Maryland and his campaign in that state collapsed. That freed my candidate's time, advertising budget, and surrogate capacity to focus on New York and Vermont. Vermont and New York both fell back into camp as easily as they had in the beginning of the campaign. At the same time, I got John Adams and Aaron Burr and a couple other randos, such as Charleston Elites, to endorse me. Thus the northern campaign in New York and Vermont and the southern campaign in North and South Carolina were syncopated and equalized as the Federalist convention came and went. As long as I made sure to create a new surrogate each week, both fronts had enough qualified surrogates and ad budget to keep the push against Madison. And then suddenly his campaign "collapsed".

I thought it could be yet another one of Madison's hiccups, even though I'm not sure why they've been so common in this campaign. So I gave it one more week to see if it was a trend or not. The map above is the result. His 24% lead in Pennsylvania has wasted away, without even a strong effort from me (I'd been fortifying New York). Perhaps most shockingly is the state of Virginia, which I have not even touched outside of fundraising - it is now Madison: 43.5%, Pinckney 25.3%. Virginia, in my mind, ought to be the absolute untouchable state for Madison. You can also see the dramatic uptick in my popular vote count in the past week too.

Lastly, I do have a couple thoughts:
- Pinckney may have too many surrogates available too soon. Even though I didn't focus on South Carolina, I knew that when the time came, the boost was going to be significant, with a total of 3? or 4? default surrogates for that state alone. I also acquired John Jay and Rufus King early on and their combined bonus helped keep New York on my side, even when I let it slip away sometimes.
- Pinckney's platform is pretty mild medicine to the South, in my opinion. That may have been true historically as well, but game-wise, he is not too relatively distanced from Southern opinion on slavery, tariffs, and the national bank. Again, I may be making historical assumptions about those being bigger dealbreakers at the time, and you're the one who's done the research for this scenario. There are a lot of untouchable issues in the South, but even so, there's plenty of operating room and even a few decent boosts.
- If I recall correctly, Pinckney seemed to have more PIPs in this campaign than Federalists had had in the prior years.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lyly said:

Playthrough update:

kDsPaf0.png

Okay, maybe it is too easy for Pinckney after all. After what I called Madison's 'crisis of confidence' (which occurred just after he had secured the nomination, but before the convention), his campaign got a nomination boost, which set the Federalists back to the eastern states which I had retained from the first few weeks of the campaign (MA, NH, RI, CT, DE, NJ) New York, Vermont, and Maryland remained the chief swing states, plus the next lower tier battleground in the Carolinas. This advantage, effectively a return to the norm, remained for a few more weeks as I put the map back together to what I feel has been a stable stale-mate.

Shortly after Madison's convention, I got a successful scandal against him in Maryland and his campaign in that state collapsed. That freed my candidate's time, advertising budget, and surrogate capacity to focus on New York and Vermont. Vermont and New York both fell back into camp as easily as they had in the beginning of the campaign. At the same time, I got John Adams and Aaron Burr and a couple other randos, such as Charleston Elites, to endorse me. Thus the northern campaign in New York and Vermont and the southern campaign in North and South Carolina were syncopated and equalized as the Federalist convention came and went. As long as I made sure to create a new surrogate each week, both fronts had enough qualified surrogates and ad budget to keep the push against Madison. And then suddenly his campaign "collapsed".

I thought it could be yet another one of Madison's hiccups, even though I'm not sure why they've been so common in this campaign. So I gave it one more week to see if it was a trend or not. The map above is the result. His 24% lead in Pennsylvania has wasted away, without even a strong effort from me (I'd been fortifying New York). Perhaps most shockingly is the state of Virginia, which I have not even touched outside of fundraising - it is now Madison: 43.5%, Pinckney 25.3%. Virginia, in my mind, ought to be the absolute untouchable state for Madison. You can also see the dramatic uptick in my popular vote count in the past week too.

Lastly, I do have a couple thoughts:
- Pinckney may have too many surrogates available too soon. Even though I didn't focus on South Carolina, I knew that when the time came, the boost was going to be significant, with a total of 3? or 4? default surrogates for that state alone. I also acquired John Jay and Rufus King early on and their combined bonus helped keep New York on my side, even when I let it slip away sometimes.
- Pinckney's platform is pretty mild medicine to the South, in my opinion. That may have been true historically as well, but game-wise, he is not too relatively distanced from Southern opinion on slavery, tariffs, and the national bank. Again, I may be making historical assumptions about those being bigger dealbreakers at the time, and you're the one who's done the research for this scenario. There are a lot of untouchable issues in the South, but even so, there's plenty of operating room and even a few decent boosts.
- If I recall correctly, Pinckney seemed to have more PIPs in this campaign than Federalists had had in the prior years.
 

Can you think of any other reasons why it was so easy for you to do well? Were ads too affordable? What was your primary means of gaining support of voters? Ads or something else? I may strengthen Republican support in some states to make it a little harder, and I might also slightly weaken Pinckney's campaign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ads were pretty affordable. I recall running advertising in like 10 states at once on about $750. In addition to that, after the first few months, I didn't have to fundraise anymore. A few million $ rolled in each week from the campaign.

My strategy for garnering votes was surrogate- and ad-centric - mostly because when the scenario starts out Pinckney cannot campaign in any state at all without a penalty, so I used him for fundraising, issue development, and policy speeches at first. He can't barnstorm in any state unless he has at least +3% momentum, so I had to use surrogates to build momentum first.

In a nut shell; step one: send in surrogates to build momentum, usually starting with the smaller issues first; step two: target the state, build organization, (recruit footsoldiers where able), develop ads; step three: use any leftover command points to send Pinckney in to barnstorm as appropriate. Because of the limited number of states I needed to work in at once (Massachusetts, Delaware, Rhode Island, and Connecticut don't have to be campaigned in except to halt someone else every once in a while) and because I was using surrogates for so much of the work, I had a lot of spare command points most weeks to dedicate to things I don't normally spent a lot of effort on, such as researching state-level scandals and making whole platforms of state-targeted advertisements.

Other than that, the only thing I can say is that Madison seemed like he was pulling punches the whole campaign, especially compared to Jefferson in the previous campaign.

Edit - on that last note, I also want to say that the Northern and Southern Independents both work quite well in the scenario and I like the event flavor that goes along with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lyly said:

Ads were pretty affordable. I recall running advertising in like 10 states at once on about $750. In addition to that, after the first few months, I didn't have to fundraise anymore. A few million $ rolled in each week from the campaign.

My strategy for garnering votes was surrogate- and ad-centric - mostly because when the scenario starts out Pinckney cannot campaign in any state at all without a penalty, so I used him for fundraising, issue development, and policy speeches at first. He can't barnstorm in any state unless he has at least +3% momentum, so I had to use surrogates to build momentum first.

In a nut shell; step one: send in surrogates to build momentum, usually starting with the smaller issues first; step two: target the state, build organization, (recruit footsoldiers where able), develop ads; step three: use any leftover command points to send Pinckney in to barnstorm as appropriate. Because of the limited number of states I needed to work in at once (Massachusetts, Delaware, Rhode Island, and Connecticut don't have to be campaigned in except to halt someone else every once in a while) and because I was using surrogates for so much of the work, I had a lot of spare command points most weeks to dedicate to things I don't normally spent a lot of effort on, such as researching state-level scandals and making whole platforms of state-targeted advertisements.

Other than that, the only thing I can say is that Madison seemed like he was pulling punches the whole campaign, especially compared to Jefferson in the previous campaign.

Yeah, the CPU is not very intelligent. It needs to have some sort of survival mechanism built into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lyly

I've weakened all Federalist's campaigns. For instance, for Pinckney, his Command and Strategic are now a 2, instead of a 3. His Ground is now a 1 instead of a 2. I'm hesitant to penalize Pinckney too much, since the game would then be too easy for Madison to take every state. I think the main problem is that the CPU lacks a survival instinct. In the 2016 scenarios, the major parties will often attack 3rd parties, rather than the more threatening opponent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame I have to report back that the results I'm getting are too unrealistic, because I was having fun actually winning for once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: I'll probably post the update for this scenario tonight. Additionally, I may have 1812 ready for @Lyly's map and for playthroughs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×