Presidentinsertname

State of jefferson poll.

Should this become a real thing?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should this become a real thing?

I'd probably only be for it if Puerto Rico became a state

5 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Yeah, creating a state just for one party seems rather brash and irresponsible. But i accept your compromise. 

14 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

Now they are red counties on the left coast (see what I did there)) since they are never going to elect a republican {insert senator and or other statewide office here} maybe they should form there own state. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(proposed_Pacific_state)

If one is going to break off a piece of a polity, either to be a fully independent nation, or a new sub-national administrative subdivision, especially in a federal system of national-regional government relationship, there should be more and profound reasons for such other than the frustrations of a political party.

10 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

1 minute ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Yeah, creating a state just for one party seems rather brash and irresponsible. But i accept your compromise. 

But I wouldn't accept it. It sounds remarkably and suspiciously like the Missouri Compromise. I would demand more reasons, needs, and honest grievances from this "State of Jefferson," and Puerto Rico to live up to being able to hold it's economy together.

2 hours ago, Patine said:

But I wouldn't accept it. It sounds remarkably and suspiciously like the Missouri Compromise. I would demand more reasons, needs, and honest grievances from this "State of Jefferson," and Puerto Rico to live up to being able to hold it's economy together.

Far enough. If there is a cultural reason for the split, I would support it. A more perfect example would be if New York were to split into two. Upstate New York is culturally, and economically disconnected from the NYC region. If Upstate were to gather enough votes within the state, and national support; I could see the partition of the state along the Duchess County line. However, such a partition would require the two new states to resolve potential issues such as: water rights, location of prisons, revenue from the state toll ways, funding for the SUNY system, and so on.  

And if they were to resolve those issues in a manner much better than PM May handling Brexit, I would probably accept a state centralized in Upstate New York. Jefferson, I'm iffy on.

2 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Far enough. If there is a cultural reason for the split, I would support it. A more perfect example would be if New York were to split into two. Upstate New York is culturally, and economically disconnected from the NYC region. If Upstate were to gather enough votes within the state, and national support; I could see the partition of the state along the Duchess County line. However, such a partition would require the two new states to resolve potential issues such as: water rights, location of prisons, revenue from the state toll ways, funding for the SUNY system, and so on.  

And if they were to resolve those issues in a manner much better than PM May handling Brexit, I would probably accept a state centralized in Upstate New York. Jefferson, I'm iffy on.

Brexit is only really a good analog if you had a "full peaceful secession" of a state or region, not further subdivision, but remaining within the Union. In all of Canadian history since our Confederation in 1867, the only breaking up of sub-national administrative divisions formally have been territories (the NWT broken up into the Province of Manitoba in 1870, the Yukon Territory in 1898, the Provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan in 1905, and Nunavut in 1999, and increases to the territory of Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec in first 1892 then more in 1912 - needless to say, when the NWT was first acquired by Canada from the HBC, it was HUGE, but very sparsely populated, before all that territory was broken off), but never a full Province has been broken up such, and many Canadian Provinces claim significant cultural differences by region within. Plus, keep in mind, many of these regional cultural and political differences are not permanent or even necessarily always long-term - internal migrations changes many of these things, often quicker than one might think. I, myself, wouldn't be too hasty with such divisions.

3 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

If Republicans circa 1870 listened to this advice, we might be missing a few states - Nevada, Wyoming, and Idaho spring to mind.

2 minutes ago, Lyly said:

If Republicans circa 1870 listened to this advice, we might be missing a few states - Nevada, Wyoming, and Idaho spring to mind.

Indeed, that is true, and, if it weren't for party politics and maximization and consolidation of party strongholds, Alberta and Saskatchewan would have likely been made as one Province, not two, 1905, here in Canada as well. I myself, while I pointed this exact same error on the post above where you quoted @Sunnymentoaddict, can only advise and give a practical opinion for the future going forward, not to retcon the past.

On 12/26/2017 at 2:25 PM, Lyly said:

or dc wouldnt have been made a state

On 12/26/2017 at 2:31 PM, Patine said:

Indeed, that is true, and, if it weren't for party politics and maximization and consolidation of party strongholds, Alberta and Saskatchewan would have likely been made as one Province, not two, 1905, here in Canada as well. I myself, while I pointed this exact same error on the post above where you quoted @Sunnymentoaddict, can only advise and give a practical opinion for the future going forward, not to retcon the past.

glad they werent it would look ugly.

9 hours ago, Presidentinsertname said:

or dc wouldnt have been made a state

glad they werent it would look ugly.

1. D.C. isn't a state it can't elect representatives or senators

2. I don't even know what you're trying to say, what do you mean it would look ugly.

On 12/26/2017 at 1:50 PM, Sunnymentoaddict said:

There's a movement here to divide New York into two.

1 hour ago, WVProgressive said:

2. I don't even know what you're trying to say, what do you mean it would look ugly.

That's called the "feeble and desperate lashing out of a proud person whose thoroughly lost a debate and knows it, but refuses to admit it." At that point, rebuttals by such people tend to get ridiculous and pointless like above.

Just now, NYrepublican said:

There's a movement here to divide New York into two.

Yes, and from what I've heard, it's based on mostly partisan division than any practical reasons to do so (because, as I've stated earlier in this thread, I, myself, would not consider a partisan divide alone to be sufficient grounds to divide a polity, especially one with the guaranteed autonomy and level of self-government of a U.S. State).

On 1/1/2018 at 12:12 PM, WVProgressive said:

talking about the canada provinces. but i want your take on this your state and how it was form? jefferson would be a a west coats version of west Virginian.

I'm okay with partitioning of states as long as:

1. It does not lead to a humanitarian crisis and civil rights crisis 

2. It does not lead to an economic crisis

3. It is wildly popular by the inhabitant of the proposed state

4. Over 50% of the current state (both those within and without the proposed state) are supportive of it

32 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

talking about the canada provinces. but i want your take on this your state and how it was form? jefferson would be a a west coats version of west Virginian.

Esthetics of borders should NEVER be a reason for firm political decisions. Also, how is this proposed "State of Jefferson" anything like a "West Coast version of West Virginia?" There's no civil war going on right now...

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

Esthetics of borders should NEVER be a reason for firm political decisions. Also, how is this proposed "State of Jefferson" anything like a "West Coast version of West Virginia?" There's no civil war going on right now...

no but it look like it.

46 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

What happened in West Virginia had been brewing for a long time. Many of the issues that had led to split were the main reasons for the 1850 and 1829/30 constitutional conventions. This "State of Jefferson" seems nothing more than the most partisan of gerrymanders.

19 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

What happened in West Virginia had been brewing for a long time. Many of the issues that had led to split were the main reasons for the 1850 and 1829/30 constitutional conventions. This "State of Jefferson" seems nothing more than the most partisan of gerrymanders.

Oh, my! What monstrous conventions! "Slavery must be preserved over any reform," and talking down to the common (non-slave-owning) man because of a lack of "stake in government," and the "maggot of innovation," and "ideological anarchy." This is just incredible! You'd never know by such lines these men had fought for independence and "liberty" from old British society, governance, mores, and mentality listening to all of this!

Probably no but i voted yes on this poll.

The reason i might choose yes: 37m state is too big to be succesfully managed

The reason i might choose no: They're communists in CA and it will probably mean two more communist senators.

1 hour ago, dindu said:

Probably no but i voted yes on this poll.

The reason i might choose yes: 37m state is too big to be succesfully managed

The reason i might choose no: They're communists in CA and it will probably mean two more communist senators.

Another person who has no idea what Communism as an ideology or political viewpoint. If you had ANY education on the matter at all, you'd know well there isn't a single Communist in any position of power anywhere in the United States today, nor leading in any polls for any elected office. But, since calling "Communist" or "Nazi" (or, to a rapidly growing degree, "terrorist") is being done so often today in circumstance where their utterly inappropriate, false, inflammatory, slandering, or, at best, hyperbolic, the words are losing all meaning in the modern zeitgeist, and, eventually, after a while, will have NO credibility at all to call out these phenomena when they actually do happen. The story of "the Boy Who Cried Wolf," is very instructive here.

27 minutes ago, Patine said:

Another person who has no idea what Communism as an ideology or political viewpoint. If you had ANY education on the matter at all, you'd know well there isn't a single Communist in any position of power anywhere in the United States today, nor leading in any polls for any elected office. But, since calling "Communist" or "Nazi" (or, to a rapidly growing degree, "terrorist") is being done so often today in circumstance where their utterly inappropriate, false, inflammatory, slandering, or, at best, hyperbolic, the words are losing all meaning in the modern zeitgeist, and, eventually, after a while, will have NO credibility at all to call out these phenomena when they actually do happen. The story of "the Boy Who Cried Wolf," is very instructive here.

look at how far left ca is.

Low-paying jobs located in the middle of huge overly expensive cities without decent public transit? So leftist. [/s]

2 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

look at how far left ca is.

It's not that far left-wing from a global perspective. Besides, most of the areas where it leans sharply to the left politically are in social liberal, social welfare/safety net, egalitarian, and anti-militarist ideals, none of which are policies or ideals any bona fide Communist Party who has actually held government in a nation has ever espoused or followed (quite the opposite, in fact), except for egalitarian policies regarding economic social class, but, obviously, with all the billionaires living among dirt poor people in short distances from each other, that form of egalitarianism is NOT the strong area of California.