270soft Forum
Presidentinsertname

1 seat majority

To go from a supermajority to a tie in one election. Damn. What issues can the Democratic party and Republicans work together on? I, like all of us, dream of a CDU/SDP style Grand Coalition; but these two parties are culturally and ideologically opposed to each other. 

2 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

To go from a supermajority to a tie in one election. Damn. What issues can the Democratic party and Republicans work together on? I, like all of us, dream of a CDU/SDP style Grand Coalition; but these two parties are culturally and ideologically opposed to each other. 

I got a feeling we might see a Uganda style fight.

16 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

I got a feeling we might see a Uganda style fight.

Normally I roll my eyes at your hyperbolic statements(hopefully you're not offended), but I agree with you right now. An example of a divided government not able to govern properly is NC. The Democrat narrowly won the 2016 election, yet the State GoP Senate rewrote the rules weakening the powers of the governor. However, the governor is doing little to work with the state GoP. 

1 hour ago, Presidentinsertname said:

wouldn't holding another election solve the problem? or a coin toss.

Last thing I heard was that a name will be drawn from a bowl

8 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

Watch jen! Win

368abfbf-1650-44f7-925b-8e9e61773b6b.thumb.jpg.60f29e9adae49a4aca5624249bfc958e.jpg

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎24 at 6:57 AM, Presidentinsertname said:

I don't understand the problem. If there's a one-seat majority, laws can be passed, right? What's the big issue here? Or there ridiculous, antiquated legislative laws in Virginia still in place?

On 12/26/2017 at 11:02 AM, Patine said:

I don't understand the problem. If there's a one-seat majority, laws can be passed, right? What's the big issue here? Or there ridiculous, antiquated legislative laws in Virginia still in place?

since the gop won that seat it no longer tied so they can pass laws but had the democrat name won the drawing then it would have been split 50-50. and this isnt like the state senate where you got a lt governor to break the tie.

Just now, Presidentinsertname said:

since the gop won that seat it no longer tied so they can pass laws but had the democrat name won the drawing then it would have been split 50-50. and this isnt like the state senate where you got a lt governor to break the tie.

and bipartisanship in any shape or form can only go so far.

3 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

this is why i think state lower houses  shouldnt have even number amount of seats.

6 hours ago, Presidentinsertname said:

and bipartisanship in any shape or form can only go so far.

At least that's the commonly promoted perspective and belief of so many Americans, drilled in their heads from every angle. That is why the American political system is failing it's people, losing credibility, being unable to get meaningful, needed legislation through and solve the nation's fundamental problems, or even seriously touch upon them, and is tanking as an effective and respectable governing system behind many other First World Nations.