270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lyly

Historic Scenarios Map Thread

Hi all!

In the past few weeks, I have returned to the modding community for this awesome game and was very pleased to see the historic scenario effort going so strongly and persistently. I want to thank those involved in that process for a great work! I was also happy to find a way to contribute in my own way by making a map for the 1788 election and another for the 1792.

As of now, I intend to create historically accurate (to the date of the election) maps for each scenario as they are worked on. I actually have been working on the mid-1800s ones already because the borders of the time were always changing and most maps don't depict them well.

There already exists a couple of repositories of maps for many scenarios, including historic ones, but to my knowledge there is not a single collaborative thread for the subject. So hopefully this could be utilized when necessary.

In any case, I have a question for the community regarding 1804. If you've seen my 1788 map, you know it eliminates all of the excess modern mass of the US and is confined to the Eastern seaboard. That's fine up to 1800. But in 1804, we have the Louisiana Purchase included for the first time and of course the sheer scale of the United States increases three-fold, but no new states are actually added at the time. So in-game, this would result in a large blue blob occupying literally two-thirds of the screen doing nothing but looking pretty (pretty blobby). On the other hand, it is more interesting to have some historically accurate depiction of the scenario.

I have a few mock-ups of some of my thoughts, but I'd like to hear from others before I submit one for inclusion in the final edition.

Eastern Seaboard, 1788 style: (historic 1804 results depicted)
OkU69n9.png

Full Size, classic PI style:
image.png.0f8e2ab7b85acd2c0168693cb0ffda59.png

Or some kind of compromise between them, something like this:
JRMKYcH.png

For consistency's sake, I'd say go with the 1788 and 1792 style until at least 1808. The compromise projection looks good for elections from 1812 to 1848, though the appearance could be made to better fit the style of the earlier maps.

2 hours ago, Lyly said:

Hi all!

In the past few weeks, I have returned to the modding community for this awesome game and was very pleased to see the historic scenario effort going so strongly and persistently. I want to thank those involved in that process for a great work! I was also happy to find a way to contribute in my own way by making a map for the 1788 election and another for the 1792.

As of now, I intend to create historically accurate (to the date of the election) maps for each scenario as they are worked on. I actually have been working on the mid-1800s ones already because the borders of the time were always changing and most maps don't depict them well.

There already exists a couple of repositories of maps for many scenarios, including historic ones, but to my knowledge there is not a single collaborative thread for the subject. So hopefully this could be utilized when necessary.

In any case, I have a question for the community regarding 1804. If you've seen my 1788 map, you know it eliminates all of the excess modern mass of the US and is confined to the Eastern seaboard. That's fine up to 1800. But in 1804, we have the Louisiana Purchase included for the first time and of course the sheer scale of the United States increases three-fold, but no new states are actually added at the time. So in-game, this would result in a large blue blob occupying literally two-thirds of the screen doing nothing but looking pretty (pretty blobby). On the other hand, it is more interesting to have some historically accurate depiction of the scenario.

I have a few mock-ups of some of my thoughts, but I'd like to hear from others before I submit one for inclusion in the final edition.

Eastern Seaboard, 1788 style: (historic 1804 results depicted)
OkU69n9.png

Full Size, classic PI style:
image.png.0f8e2ab7b85acd2c0168693cb0ffda59.png

Or some kind of compromise between them, something like this:
JRMKYcH.png

These look great, but I like the middle one best, as it has the Territories that existed at the time, but only those the U.S. actually held and administered de jure held, not the much vaster but unsupported claims further to the west they made at that time.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

These look great, but I like the middle one best, as it has the Territories that existed at the time, but only those the U.S. actually held and administered de jure held, not the much vaster but unsupported claims further to the west they made at that time.

I like those that show the territories as well. 

I plan on including two maps with the 1820 scenario. One will be the default map and appear when you open the game, the other would only be accessible within the scenario's files and would have to be renamed as the default map in order to be used in the game.

The reason I want to do this is because the Adams-Onis treaty was signed in 1819 and ratified in 1821. That seems simple enough, but the borders after 1821 stay the same until 1846 and are the ones most people are familiar with. Additionally, the border in 1820 wasn't actually an agreed-upon border and anyone trying to map it at the time would never be able to get an accurate border since it was so ill-defined (hence the necessity of the treaty). As a result, in modern times people aren't too familiar with the look of the border as it might have technically existed, but the Adams-Onis border is very well known.

For the sake of folks who want absolute historical accurance, I want to at least include the watershed border, but I wonder if it is better to make it the default map or the hidden alternate that hardcore players would have access to. Any thoughts?

The maps under consideration are below:

bSqDhCo.png
Pre-Adams-Onis Border, as the US technically appeared in 1820, but which was never agreed to or accurately mapped with technology of the time

TAR6E5n.png
Borders Neogitiated in 1819, signed but not ratified until 1821, though it obviously represented the interests of the United States at the time

((edit - as with past maps, disputed territories which are part of a state are represented as favoring the American position for the sake of simplicity))

I would probably use the first map for 1820, and then the other map for beyond that date until it needs to be changed again. 

I have updated the maps for the 1788, 1792, 1796, and 1800 scenarios to include territories and correct unfinished shorelines on the Great Lakes.

Updated Maps for 1788, 1792, 1796, 1800 campaigns

Maps now show proper shorelines on the Great Lakes, have the proper border between Tennessee and North Carolina, and identify the territories of the North- and South-west formed from Virginia(+) and Georgia(+). Gradient used to show the rest of the continent has been reduced, but is still present to help provide historical and geographic context.

These updated maps can be inserted into existing Historical Scenario Commission game files with no negative effects. Step-by-step instructions are provided below:

Step 1. - Download the map attached in this post to your desktop.
Step 2. - Open PresidentInfinity.exe; open the Campaign Editor and navigate to the appropriate scenario.
Step 3. - Click on the "Regions" tab inside the Campaign Editor, it should open showing information for "United States".
Step 4. - Inside the "United States" window inside the Campaign Editor, click the "Map" tab. (It is located next to the "Basics" tab underneath the text "United States")
Step 5. - Click on the "Import Map" button on the far right side of the window. Choose "Ok" and "Ok", the maps are already set up for import.
Step 6. - The Campaign Editor will open a new window. Navigate to your desktop and choose the map file you want to use for that scenario.
Editor should now show the updated map.

You do not have to rename the files for this method to work and you don't even have to keep the map on your desktop once you've updated the scenario. However, I would recommend both backing up your game files and saving this map somewhere (you can create any folder you want inside the game's documents without any harm, even inside the scenario itself if you like).

An alternate method for updating the map is to replace the map.bmp file in any scenario with the desired map. Here again, I would recommend backing up the original by just renaming it and then leaving it inside the scenario's files.

@vcczar @Patine

cQb7oVI.png
1788bf.bmp

IvUUqm3.png
1792bf.bmp

0cxoZUh.png
1796bf.bmp

ngDsSO8.png
1800bf.bmp

@Lyly Thanks!