Year- 2019

Population- 300 (215 M/ 85 F)

Government Type- None

Current Players

@Wiw (Lance McKnight)

@WVProgressive (Heather Chandler)

@Reagan04 (Jack Paulson)

The Scenario

The year is 2019, and Trump is still in office. During mid to late 2018, Trump made controversial remarks on how he claimed the moon for U.S research, and mentioned how nobody could stop the U.S takeover of the moon. A bill pertaining to a 'Space Corps' got amended by both the House and Senate, and included a controversial provision to allow for terraformation and human expansion onto the moon. Private companies initially took advantage of the Space Corp bill's passage, but the Government immediately stopped this progress in the name of national security. The Government in late 2018 begun and found amazing success in successfully genetically engineering crops to sustain food on the Moon. This has led to the growth of a 'research' town appropriately named Trumpern, and recently in early 2019 enough people involved with the 'research' were on the Moon to successfully create a petition to have its own governing structure. 

There are a mere three hundred people living in Trumpern. 215 males, 85 females, all of legal voting age, and no reported couples. As a research town, everyone living here has some form of college degree. If political affiliation were to be compared to the United States, there would be approximately 20% Republicans, 30% Democrats, and 50% Independents. Note: This number is purely a start, and this number would change drastically to go with the roleplay. 

Issue wise, the first issue would be the United States Government approving such a creation of an independent government. The world has criticized Trump for his actions, but since it is only for research nobody has bothered with anything more than just verbal condemnation. The United States Government, especially after the 2018 congressional election, does bias in favor of space expansion, but they aren't going to just approve a government out of the blue with the many other factors in consideration. Other issues would be developed over time, as the only thing these researchers really care about right now is using their discoveries to show that the Moon is habitable and deserves expansion.

The Election

At least the first election will be purely illegitimate and represent more of a local culture than a legally binding government. The majority of researchers approve of this informal body, and will use their legal vote to cast a vote in favor of the candidate they deem to fit the role of a 'Mayor'. This will be the only form of illegitimate government on the Moon, and any expansion of the Government would have to be by a voting system that the Mayor creates that the population has to approve of by a majority vote. This mayor will serve for life unless this is changed.

@Wiw @WVProgressive @Reagan04

March 01, 2019

First things first you all will make your political presence known by speaking at Trumpern's recreation center. You will focus solely on your job, and your starting beliefs on how the government should be run. You can mention other issues, but these will be disregarded for the time being.

6 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

@Wiw @WVProgressive @Reagan04

March 01, 2019

First things first you all will make your political presence known by speaking at Trumpern's recreation center. You will focus solely on your job, and your starting beliefs on how the government should be run. You can mention other issues, but these will be disregarded for the time being.

OOC: okay, so like this @Kingthero

Heather Chandler:  Hello folks, my name is Heather Chandler and I'm an astronomer being an astronomer means looking beyond us and into the great beyond. There is a lot of discussion about our future and I believe that a government is there to help citizens get back up when they fall. I also fervently believe in a direct democracy whilst being mindful that as population grows we may need to change to a more representative democracy be it the american or Westminster system.    

March 2019 Census

Males: 215

Females: 85

-----

Average Age: 46

-----

Nuclear Scientists: 21

Geographers: 31

Engineers: 29

Architects: 37

Agricultural Scientists: 26

Geologists: 34

Sociologists: 30

Physicists: 31

Medical Scientists: 29

Chemists: 32

-----

Republicans: 64

Democrats: 95

Independents: 141

McKnight: Ladies and gentlemen, when you dabble in nuclear physics like I have, you learn a thing or two about the way the world works. For starters, democracy has failed us all once too often. That capitalist swine up there [on Earth], I never liked him, I never trusted him. For all I know he had his powers set up and had us all wrapped around his fingers. But that's history. I'm here, he's not. I can give you much more scope for your needs and aspirations than he ever could! All I need... is a regime with broad powers.

Paulson: Ladies and Gentlemen, you all know me, Reverend Jack Paulson. I seek to be your leader because as your Chaplain I have gotten to know you all in special ways. We are blessed by the Creator to continue exploration into the infinite cosmos deftly woven together by His almighty hand. I stand here today to seek to lead Trumpern in a direction which we can all agree on, we can all be bonded on. The crew here are magnificent people and I believe that we all have a place here, God put us on the Moon for a reason! It is time for man to reach out and explore his creation. But today that, and to further colonize it and discover His beauties and bounties untold, we must have a stable government. I believe we should have a Mayor-Council style government to keep us afloat and stable in the first days here on this Brave New Frontier. We should have a 10 member City Council elected by 10 districts to send here to City Hall to meet and adjudicate on legislation proposed by any member of the city. This should then pass to the desk of the Mayor, and should he agree with the proposal may sign it. Should he disagree, then the Council must have a 2/3rds majority agree to override his veto, in this case, 7 votes. However, I also believe that should 80% of the citizens agree with the measure then the government is overridden and the measure is put into place. This way we can have a stable but new government for the people here on the Moon. We are here to serve Science and our Creator, and I am here to serve you. God Bless You all!

29 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Paulson: Ladies and Gentlemen, you all know me, Reverend Jack Paulson. I seek to be your leader because as your Chaplain I have gotten to know you all in special ways. We are blessed by the Creator to continue exploration into the infinite cosmos deftly woven together by His almighty hand. I stand here today to seek to lead Trumpern in a direction which we can all agree on, we can all be bonded on. The crew here are magnificent people and I believe that we all have a place here, God put us on the Moon for a reason! It is time for man to reach out and explore his creation. But today that, and to further colonize it and discover His beauties and bounties untold, we must have a stable government. I believe we should have a Mayor-Council style government to keep us afloat and stable in the first days here on this Brave New Frontier. We should have a 10 member City Council elected by 10 districts to send here to City Hall to meet and adjudicate on legislation proposed by any member of the city. This should then pass to the desk of the Mayor, and should he agree with the proposal may sign it. Should he disagree, then the Council must have a 2/3rds majority agree to override his veto, in this case, 7 votes. However, I also believe that should 80% of the citizens agree with the measure then the government is overridden and the measure is put into place. This way we can have a stable but new government for the people here on the Moon. We are here to serve Science and our Creator, and I am here to serve you. God Bless You all!

9 hours ago, Wiw said:

McKnight: Ladies and gentlemen, when you dabble in nuclear physics like I have, you learn a thing or two about the way the world works. For starters, democracy has failed us all once too often. That capitalist swine up there [on Earth], I never liked him, I never trusted him. For all I know he had his powers set up and had us all wrapped around his fingers. But that's history. I'm here, he's not. I can give you much more scope for your needs and aspirations than he ever could! All I need... is a regime with broad powers.

11 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

OOC: okay, so like this @Kingthero

Heather Chandler:  Hello folks, my name is Heather Chandler and I'm an astronomer being an astronomer means looking beyond us and into the great beyond. There is a lot of discussion about our future and I believe that a government is there to help citizens get back up when they fall. I also fervently believe in a direct democracy whilst being mindful that as population grows we may need to change to a more representative democracy be it the american or Westminster system.    

OOC: Alright! Looks like we got all the major government types Representative Democracy, Direct Democracy, and Dictatorship. Can't wait for the "election".

OOC: Thank you all; I'll have a political survey out tomorrow, and also introduce the next issue for speeches to be made on.

March 03, 2019 Government Structure Survey

5% Margin of Error, all 300 People

Check the Government Structure you Prefer

Direct Democracy: 24

Transitional Democracy: 39

Representative Democracy: 51

Republican Democracy: 52

Parliamentary Democracy: 55

Noble Democracy: 31

Presidential Dictatorship: 20

Oligarchy: 16

Absolute Monarchy: 7

Absolute Dictatorship: 5

Which Candidate would you prefer solely based on Government Preference?

McKnight: 17%

Chandler: 22%

Paulson: 61%

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: Candidates, Today's Issue to make a position on is Trump's Presidency in the United States

@Wiw @Reagan04 @WVProgressive

1 hour ago, Kingthero said:

OOC: Candidates, Today's Issue to make a position on is Trump's Presidency in the United States

@Wiw @Reagan04 @WVProgressive

OOC: Of course that's the issue. If I were to want to pack up and go to the Moon (or Mars, or other such Celestial Body), it would be to get away from Trump and the other odious and obnoxious and media figures one has to deal with day in and day out and actually have a fresh start. I guess such a clean break and new life like colonist types traditionally dream of when they set off to faraway places to forge new lives is not in the cards here. What a wasted opportunity this would have been...

McKnight: America is led by a tinpot dictator that threatens our way of life! I would disavow any relation this base has to his administration. And if he tries to influence us, we'll go to war! We'll overthrow him! We'll smash them all!!!! We don't gotta take what they throw at us, never did and never will. We'll run the station from unaffiliated associates, I know a few. (pause) Much of NASA trusts me. The Democrats trust me, because I used to be one of them. Any scientist who does not have faith in me, well, they won't be sitting at my table. And I will find more to break you free of your chains...

Chandler: This election is not about Donald Trump or any other earth politician and I promise you first thing we do when we gain independence is erase any mention of our former colonial masters. But on Trump himself I don't know about you but I detest being ruled by an egotistical, racist, lying, hypocrite who uses near slave condition labor to manufacture his products.   

@Patine It's good to think of that however; even though an important thing to remember is all these people that are here now are scientists, and while they are there partially to get out of U.S. politics, its not like Trump kicked all his haters to the moon.

2 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

@Patine It's good to think of that however; even though an important thing to remember is all these people that are here now are scientists, and while they are there partially to get out of U.S. politics, its not like Trump kicked all his haters to the moon.

In political statistics, a significantly higher percentage of American scientists, technicians, and engineers are Democratic-leaning (except ones involved in military, espionage/security, and non-alternative power automotive and refining technology, who lean more Republican, or architects and civic engineers, who have no strong bias as a group either way).

@Patine I have always noticed that. Kinda why I set up the original integer plan at 30% dem 20% gop 50% indy (even though thats changed) to take into account both the political and technical factors of scientists. Lots of scientists dont give a damn about politics but vote dem for the sake of public funding.

Paulson: I first want to thank all my friends here on Trumpern for giving me such great confidence, but I'm not here to extol any sort of virtue I might have, it is all about service and that means it is all about you. Now, we have a President on Earth who isn't all about that. I will be 100% honest with you, I voted for the President simply because of the circumstances, but I vehemently disagree with the path the nation has gone under. Now, I do not believe we should be declaring war on President Trump, that would be catastrophic as many controls for Trumpern still lie in both Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and Houston, Texas. I think we should work for more autonomy from the President. I want what is best for the people and I seems my message of fair and stable government guided by a faith driven yearning for the stars is what unites us. We must be united in the strongest possible way and abruptly severing ties with those who finance our mission and provide us out basic necessities, is not a good strategy for us. God Bless you all!

Wallace Payne Announces Run for Mayor, Supporting Trump

March 04, 2019

To the People of Trumpern,

I am Wallace Payne, and today I am announcing my run for mayor. All three of my opponents are anti-trump; hell, one wants war and one hates him and wants to dissociate from him. Do these idiots not understand that in order to become prosperous, we need to be friends with America? How do we expect to gain autonomy if we keep attacking trump? This is an outright from my opponents, and today I am announcing my pro-Trump run for the office of the mayor.

OOC: Due to you all excluding a large amount of the voter base with your Trump opinions, I have now introduced a political opponent controlled by me.

Paulson: I think that Mr. Payne had his ears closed when he heard me announce. He seems to be echoing my same platform of remaining an American possession and retaining the support of our fatherland. Mr. Payne, however, brings great consternation with his particular diction. I condemn his candidacy and I ask his supporters to join me in my campaign. I think we are forging a moderate position on Trump but a strong position on America. We are a nation, but the President is but one man to be gone in a year or five. We cannot let one man who will be be leaving office in a definite period of time define our governance.

OOC: @Kingthero I don't think it's a large portion that would support Wallace lol

OOC: You'd be surprised; these are scientists wanting autonomy. While many may not like Trump, many want to stick with America, which would tie into the whole situation.

11 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

OOC: You'd be surprised; these are scientists wanting autonomy. While many may not like Trump, many want to stick with America, which would tie into the whole situation.

OOC: Right, which is the position I took lol

McKnight: I wouldn't be too sure. Give him enough time, he'll repeal the 22nd Amendment, and - well, don't say I didn't warn you! Oh don't worry... you'll get autonomy under me - just not from government subsidiaries.