Jump to content
270soft Forum
Kingthero

Roleplay Idea: Semi-Historical Moon Roleplay

Recommended Posts

So the thing about roleplaying that I really do enjoy is the competition between players. Players can compete in whichever way they want, using a variety of strategies to adapt and overcome the challenges in the roleplay. However, the one thing about political roleplays is how the background is always well known. For example, in the 1988 roleplay, you can easily just google any information you need about people, and using this can easily get endorsers and things like that. Now, a purely fantasy roleplay could also suffice; however, things like this seem too far out of the political reach of many people, and the ahistorical background could hurt the DM as the DM can just come up with whatever. My idea? Create an in-between scenario that allows for political openness but keeps the situation at least somewhat connected to our modern life today.

 

The Scenario

The year is 2019, and Trump is still in office. During mid to late 2018, Trump made controversial remarks on how he claimed the moon for U.S research, and mentioned how nobody could stop the U.S takeover of the moon. A bill pertaining to a 'Space Corps' got amended by both the House and Senate, and included a controversial provision to allow for terraformation and human expansion onto the moon. Private companies initially took advantage of the Space Corp bill's passage, but the Government immediately stopped this progress in the name of national security. The Government in late 2018 begun and found amazing success in successfully genetically engineering crops to sustain food on the Moon. This has led to the growth of a 'research' town appropriately named Trumpern, and recently in early 2019 enough people involved with the 'research' were on the Moon to successfully create a petition to have its own governing structure. 

 

There are a mere three hundred people living in Trumpern. 215 males, 85 females, all of legal voting age, and no reported couples. As a research town, everyone living here has some form of college degree. If political affiliation were to be compared to the United States, there would be approximately 20% Republicans, 30% Democrats, and 50% Independents. Note: This number is purely a start, and this number would change drastically to go with the roleplay. 

 

Issue wise, the first issue would be the United States Government approving such a creation of an independent government. The world has criticized Trump for his actions, but since it is only for research nobody has bothered with anything more than just verbal condemnation. The United States Government, especially after the 2018 congressional election, does bias in favor of space expansion, but they aren't going to just approve a government out of the blue with the many other factors in consideration. Other issues would be developed over time, as the only thing these researchers really care about right now is using their discoveries to show that the Moon is habitable and deserves expansion.

 

The Election

At least the first election will be purely illegitimate and represent more of a local culture than a legally binding government. The majority of researchers approve of this informal body, and will use their legal vote to cast a vote in favor of the candidate they deem to fit the role of a 'Mayor'. This will be the only form of illegitimate government on the Moon, and any expansion of the Government would have to be by a voting system that the Mayor creates that the population has to approve of by a majority vote. This mayor will serve for life unless this is changed.

 

How it Works

Here is the fun part; I have absolutely nothing to set this up. This would be a roleplay where the people would have to trust me as a DM to appropriately build the roleplay as time goes on. The first major issues would be the players creating the government setup itself. The first part would be the election, but the thing about a small group of 300 people is that even the losers are still very influential among the population. These players would heavily influence multiple parts of the population, and this would lead to increased player cooperation and competition as this roleplay would dynamically change along with the players. Before starting the roleplay, I would get players who were interested assigned to various scientific jobs, have a name, and have some basic information. Once this was done, I would create the AI population. Then the fun would begin. A huge black hole that would need to be filled.

 

 

I know, this is out there...

So, as DM I will make sure the beginning of this roleplay is as quick and not-time-consuming as possible. I don't want to start a roleplay that is time consuming at first, or else I severely limit who participates.

 

So, is there any interest?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

So the thing about roleplaying that I really do enjoy is the competition between players. Players can compete in whichever way they want, using a variety of strategies to adapt and overcome the challenges in the roleplay. However, the one thing about political roleplays is how the background is always well known. For example, in the 1988 roleplay, you can easily just google any information you need about people, and using this can easily get endorsers and things like that. Now, a purely fantasy roleplay could also suffice; however, things like this seem too far out of the political reach of many people, and the ahistorical background could hurt the DM as the DM can just come up with whatever. My idea? Create an in-between scenario that allows for political openness but keeps the situation at least somewhat connected to our modern life today.

 

The Scenario

The year is 2019, and Trump is still in office. During mid to late 2018, Trump made controversial remarks on how he claimed the moon for U.S research, and mentioned how nobody could stop the U.S takeover of the moon. A bill pertaining to a 'Space Corps' got amended by both the House and Senate, and included a controversial provision to allow for terraformation and human expansion onto the moon. Private companies initially took advantage of the Space Corp bill's passage, but the Government immediately stopped this progress in the name of national security. The Government in late 2018 begun and found amazing success in successfully genetically engineering crops to sustain food on the Moon. This has led to the growth of a 'research' town appropriately named Trumpern, and recently in early 2019 enough people involved with the 'research' were on the Moon to successfully create a petition to have its own governing structure. 

 

There are a mere three hundred people living in Trumpern. 215 males, 85 females, all of legal voting age, and no reported couples. As a research town, everyone living here has some form of college degree. If political affiliation were to be compared to the United States, there would be approximately 20% Republicans, 30% Democrats, and 50% Independents. Note: This number is purely a start, and this number would change drastically to go with the roleplay. 

 

Issue wise, the first issue would be the United States Government approving such a creation of an independent government. The world has criticized Trump for his actions, but since it is only for research nobody has bothered with anything more than just verbal condemnation. The United States Government, especially after the 2018 congressional election, does bias in favor of space expansion, but they aren't going to just approve a government out of the blue with the many other factors in consideration. Other issues would be developed over time, as the only thing these researchers really care about right now is using their discoveries to show that the Moon is habitable and deserves expansion.

 

The Election

At least the first election will be purely illegitimate and represent more of a local culture than a legally binding government. The majority of researchers approve of this informal body, and will use their legal vote to cast a vote in favor of the candidate they deem to fit the role of a 'Mayor'. This will be the only form of illegitimate government on the Moon, and any expansion of the Government would have to be by a voting system that the Mayor creates that the population has to approve of by a majority vote. This mayor will serve for life unless this is changed.

 

How it Works

Here is the fun part; I have absolutely nothing to set this up. This would be a roleplay where the people would have to trust me as a DM to appropriately build the roleplay as time goes on. The first major issues would be the players creating the government setup itself. The first part would be the election, but the thing about a small group of 300 people is that even the losers are still very influential among the population. These players would heavily influence multiple parts of the population, and this would lead to increased player cooperation and competition as this roleplay would dynamically change along with the players. Before starting the roleplay, I would get players who were interested assigned to various scientific jobs, have a name, and have some basic information. Once this was done, I would create the AI population. Then the fun would begin. A huge black hole that would need to be filled.

 

 

I know, this is out there...

So, as DM I will make sure the beginning of this roleplay is as quick and not-time-consuming as possible. I don't want to start a roleplay that is time consuming at first, or else I severely limit who participates.

 

So, is there any interest?

 

 

 

I had actually planned Lunar and Martian Colonial Election scenarios as a part of my grand series of election scenarios built around my Hypothetical Future ideas, but the storyline behind them was the same as your projecting, nor were either the imagined Lunar or Martian colonial structures under one political authority each with would be in a legal, political, or constitutional position to regulate or manage all elections on each celestial body...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@KingtheroInteresting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Wiw @RP Overlord @Reagan04 @WVProgressive

 

If you are interested in helping me develop this as I go I need a few things from you

Name (Not an IRL person):

Biological Sex (M/F, keeping it simple):

Age (22-70):

Type of Researcher (Something related to the moon):

Political Affiliation (If not dem/rep, say indy. You will be able to form your own party):

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Name: Lance McKnight (I'm likely the only one who'll get the reference)

Biological Sex: Male

Age: 42

Type of Researcher: Nuclear Physicist

Political Affiliation: Independent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kingthero said:

@Wiw @RP Overlord @Reagan04 @WVProgressive

 

If you are interested in helping me develop this as I go I need a few things from you

Name (Not an IRL person):

Biological Sex (M/F, keeping it simple):

Age (22-70):

Type of Researcher (Something related to the moon):

Political Affiliation (If not dem/rep, say indy. You will be able to form your own party):

 

Name: Heather Chandler

Biological Sex: F

Age: 25

Area of Recherche: Astronomy

Political Affiliation: Independent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kingthero said:

@Wiw @RP Overlord @Reagan04 @WVProgressive

 

If you are interested in helping me develop this as I go I need a few things from you

Name (Not an IRL person):

Biological Sex (M/F, keeping it simple):

Age (22-70):

Type of Researcher (Something related to the moon):

Political Affiliation (If not dem/rep, say indy. You will be able to form your own party):

 

Jack Paulson

M

63

Moon Base Chaplain

Independent (Will be forming new Party, was a Republican on Earth)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Jack Paulson

M

63

Moon Base Chaplain

Independent (Will be forming new Party, was a Republican on Earth)

No, @Reagan04, you can't! Fundamentalist Christians believe (or did believe, once) that God put the Firmament as a barrier for Man until Judgement Day (didn't you know that)? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Patine said:

No, @Reagan04, you can't! Fundamentalist Christians believe (or did believe, once) that God put the Firmament as a barrier for Man until Judgement Day (didn't you know that)? :P

OOC: SHUSH!!! DON'T SPOIL MY PLATFORM!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

OOC: SHUSH!!! DON'T SPOIL MY PLATFORM!

OOC: The Archangel Michael will come to hurl you back to Earth for your hubris! And he may not even offer you protection from burn-up in the atmosphere! :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, European Qoheleth (SANC) said:

OOC: This sounds like Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri albeit nobody murdered the Captain.

I still have that game, albeit the GOG version now. It's great fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kingthero Also, please, I am asking for the sake of a degree of labeling integrity on these forums, re-name this thread. It's not "semi-historical," and certainly not "alternate history," (and definitely not outright "historical."). Please use a more accurate term, like "hypothetical future," which is the term I use for my fictional near-future planned series of scenarios that are not in any way "historical," or related as such in their viewpoint or genre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Patine This is the idea thread so the name was just sorta an example of what the goal was and what it was based on. I'll more than like just call it one of the following;

 

Moon Emergence Roleplay

An Interstellar Affair

 

something like this, other suggestions welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×