270soft Forum
ThePotatoWalrus

Al Franken Resigns

So Al Franken just resigned. That pretty much rules him out as a candidate in 2020 now, right?

I'd say it's a 99% chance he doesn't run. I think if the scandals had never come out (or if he had never done any of those things), then he would have been the best candidate to defeat Trump in 2020. That said, Al Franken is right to resign for doing what he did, and with the scandals having happened, he is no longer a threat to Trump if does run in 2020. I can't think of a single Democratic potential candidate that has what pre-scandal Al Franken had as a candidate (intellect w/ top-rate sense humor, near-battle ground state, reformist ideology, national recognition, not-too-old). Hopefully, his resignation puts pressure on getting Roy Moore to drop out. 

I agree with VC that Al Franklin was in thewrong, and I believe that his resignation took too long. there should be no space for sexual harassment in the Capitol these days, even if that means losing candidates that I agree with. In that regard, I hope it puts Trump in context (walking in on underage contestants dressing, kissing married women against their will, the infamous grab her by the pussy comment). In my opinion, there is no place for that in our government, representing our people, no matter who it's from (side-eyes Bill Clinton). While I think that it was unfair to judge Hillary based on her husband's crimes, I'm waiting on an apology from Bill.

I agree with Franken's resignation comment, "I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the oval office." 

Trump should resign, and Moore should drop out. 

15 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'd say it's a 99% chance he doesn't run. I think if the scandals had never come out (or if he had never done any of those things), then he would have been the best candidate to defeat Trump in 2020. That said, Al Franken is right to resign for doing what he did, and with the scandals having happened, he is no longer a threat to Trump if does run in 2020. I can't think of a single Democratic potential candidate that has what pre-scandal Al Franken had as a candidate (intellect w/ top-rate sense humor, near-battle ground state, reformist ideology, national recognition, not-too-old). Hopefully, his resignation puts pressure on getting Roy Moore to drop out. 

I think Sherrod Brown is the best option for the Democratic Party now, he can take back Ohio from Trump.

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I agree with Franken's resignation comment, "I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the oval office." 

Trump should resign, and Moore should drop out. 

Trump seems to see nothing wrong with anything he does and believes he's bulletproof. His ego and sense of inability to be considered "wrong" is reminiscent of absolute monarchs of Antiquity and the Middle Ages (though fortunately he can't casually order horrible and imaginative summary executions for people just for displeasing him - not like Kim Jong Un, can...).

29 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

So Al Franken just resigned. That pretty much rules him out as a candidate in 2020 now, right?

He was pretty much ruled out even if he didn't resign

21 minutes ago, SeanFKennedy said:

I think Sherrod Brown is the best option for the Democratic Party now, he can take back Ohio from Trump.

You're probably right. I'm not sure how he was shape up with Trump on a debate stage. I really think having a natural sense of humor and quick wit is the best way to make Trump look stupid to being that don't generally view him as unfit. Is Sherrod Brown funny? 

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

You're probably right. I'm not sure how he was shape up with Trump on a debate stage. I really think having a natural sense of humor and quick wit is the best way to make Trump look stupid to being that don't generally view him as unfit. Is Sherrod Brown funny? 

He does have a pretty good of humor, not to Franken's level but he could humiliate Trump easily. 

Here's the quote:

"I, of all people, am aware that there is some irony in the fact that I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office and a man who has repeatedly preyed on young girls campaigns for the Senate with the full support of his party." -- Al Franken

53 minutes ago, SeanFKennedy said:

That's assuming he holds his office in the 2018 midterms. I hear Kasich will be challenging him, which makes for an interesting senate battle.

4 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

That's assuming he holds his office in the 2018 midterms. I hear Kasich will be challenging him, which makes for an interesting senate battle.

Where did you hear this?

2 minutes ago, SeanFKennedy said:

Where did you hear this?

I heard this from the local Democratic party in my area when I was helping file records. I hope for Brown's sake it's just a rumor, but Kasich could win.

3 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

I heard this from the local Democratic party in my area when I was helping file records. I hope for Brown's sake it's just a rumor, but Kasich could win.

I honestly can see Kasich leaving the Republican party before that happens. Especially if Roy Moore wins in Alabama.

Just now, SeanFKennedy said:

I honestly can see Kasich leaving the Republican party before that happens. Especially if Roy Moore wins in Alabama.

That would be an interesting independent run to see.

2 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

That would be an interesting independent run to see.

It really would, he would completely destroy Josh Mandel's chances of winning though which I couldn't be happier about if that would happen. In that scenario sure I would be slightly disappointed if we lost Sherrod Brown but I at least know that Kasich has integrity unlike Rob Portman

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Here's the quote:

"I, of all people, am aware that there is some irony in the fact that I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office and a man who has repeatedly preyed on young girls campaigns for the Senate with the full support of his party." -- Al Franken

That comment was completely unnecessary and lacked class. (If I'm going down I'm taking you with me) I used to respect him, but now all of that is gone. (I also agree that Roy Moore should drop out, he is a fat, racist, ignorant, pathetic excuse for a Christian man)

14 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

That comment was completely unnecessary and lacked class. (If I'm going down I'm taking you with me) I used to respect him, but now all of that is gone. (I also agree that Roy Moore should drop out, he is a fat, racist, ignorant, pathetic excuse for a Christian man)

It's a lot less of a lack of class and tact than what Donald Trump routinely says, and has said, about his political and business rivals, dedicated critics, or just people that irritate him. But I forgot, you're a Trump supporter (last you reported), so in your eyes I guess those comments aren't at all comparable.

17 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

proof of roy moore allegation thought have been discredit once i seen creditable proof i will switch my support to the write in colonel guy.

Well, considering you've been thoroughly discredited and debunked in a majority of what you post on these forums, but you still keep posting, someone being "discredited" and "debunked" obviously doesn't mean a lot to you.

23 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

proof of roy moore allegation thought have been discredit once i seen creditable proof i will switch my support to the write in colonel guy.

What exactly would you consider Credible? I have seen no conclusive proof either way. A group tried to get the Washington Post to post a fake story on it, but it didn't get past the fact checkers. I think Roy Moore is an awful man regardless of whether this turns out to be true or false, and hope he is laughed out at the polls, because I hope to hell that he doesn't represent how Alabama actually is.

3 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

What exactly would you consider Credible? I have seen no conclusive proof either way. A group tried to get the Washington Post to post a fake story on it, but it didn't get past the fact checkers. I think Roy Moore is an awful man regardless of whether this turns out to be true or false, and hope he is laughed out at the polls, because I hope to hell that he doesn't represent how Alabama actually is.

When local churches in Alabama are making signs comparing Moore to Jesus in being "wrongly accused," it runs the gamut from desperate to manipulative to irreverent (even blasphemous) to illegal (by laws around tax-exempt organizations) for such a church, but Moore in no way distanced himself from the dirty PR promotion.

14 minutes ago, Patine said:

When local churches in Alabama are making signs comparing Moore to Jesus in being "wrongly accused," it runs the gamut from desperate to manipulative to irreverent (even blasphemous) to illegal (by laws around tax-exempt organizations) for such a church, but Moore in no way distanced himself from the dirty PR promotion.

Ah, well churches would have reason to support him with his views on separation of church and state, religion in gov't, etc.

3 hours ago, SeanFKennedy said:

Hmm. Progressive but also centrist enough to pleas more establishment style democrats. I think it could work.