270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Final Update: US 1796

Final Update: US 1796  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to help with any of the following?

• Play through the scenario and offer general feedback.
    • Play through as John Adams or Thomas Jefferson to make sure it isn't too easy to win.
    • Play through as a minor candidate, such as Samuel Adams, to make sure it isn't too easy to win or too difficult to win some EVs.
    • I can help with other things such as double-checking things in the editor, or altering .xls files if needed.
    • Sorry, I can't help with this scenario.

As I wait for feedback for 1788 and 1792, I've decided to start on 1796, the first contested election. 

Update: I have amended the campaign cash, campaign strengths of the candidates. I have also added far-right and far-left positions on the issues, amending some of the platforms of the more radical candidates. 

Update: Made Jefferson a national endorser. I had him as a Virginia-only endorser. 

Update: I'm now adding more endorsers, about 30 to 40 more. 

Update: I've now added all the endorsers. I'll probably have the rest of the updating for 1796 finished tomorrow, and can upload it on here. If @Lyly has a map for 1796, then he can add it at that time if he wishes. 

Update: Changed the ad power and ad costs. 

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Even though I believe he passed away two years after this election, did Washington endorse Adams, or any candidate for that matter, or even historically mull or seem open to making such an endorsement?

23 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I noticed you didn't allow Anthony to try to find a solution.

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

Even though I believe he passed away two years after this election, did Washington endorse Adams, or any candidate for that matter, or even historically mull or seem open to making such an endorsement?

I don't think he made an official endorsement, but he wanted Adams privately. Washington, as was the case with every sitting president until Andrew Jackson, believed campaigning, or even officially endorsing someone, was less than proper. Candidates didn't even campaign for themselves. Thus, these earlier elections require some creative licence. 

Update: This one will probably be ready for testing/a new map on Thursday, and could be released on Friday, depending on how quickly the test runs are done. 

Whenever I post the updated link to this scenario on here, will any of you be able to play a couple of months as,

1. John Adams 

2. Thomas Jefferson

3. Samuel Adams

To see if the game is balanced enough, so that it doesn't appear too difficult or too easy on the "Easy setting." 

@Patine @Reagan04 @jvikings1 @Conservative Elector 2 @Kingthero @Lyly @thr33 @Wiw @WVProgressive @TheLiberalKitten @Sunnymentoaddict @SeanFKennedy @Presidentinsertname @CalebsParadox @Sandy @lok1999 @LokiLoki22 @SirLagsalott @NYrepublican @ThePotatoWalrus @pilight @jnewt @LegolasRedbard @avatarmushi @victorraiders @Bruce Fischer @vcczar @michaelsdiamonds @European Qoheleth (SANC) @MysteryKnight @TheMiddlePolitical @quakercane 

I'm going to be in NYC all day tomorrow, so don't expect any updating tomorrow.

Update: FIxed an issue with states that didn't have a popular vote at the time. Since the voters were set to "1" the result was random on election day. I have now set these populations to 100 to represent 100% of the state legislators, who voted for the people. 

Update: Added Patrick Henry as a what-if. I found a letter where John Adams states that, along with himself, he believed that, "Patrick Henry, Jefferson, Jay, and Hamilton" would all have support for the presidency, should Washington retire. At this time Patrick Henry had become a Federalist. 

@Patine You seem to know this well. What are some 19th century methods of advertising I could use in elections from 1800-1896? For these first three elections, I'm only going to use broadsides. 

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Patine You seem to know this well. What are some 19th century methods of advertising I could use in elections from 1800-1896? For these first three elections, I'm only going to use broadsides. 

Newspapers, billboards, contra facta (mostly in 1824-1840's for that one), maybe soapbox ads (as in the advertising they used to plaster on the sides of those big soapboxes they sold - not to be confused with holding a rally while standing on a soapbox, which is a source of a common modern metaphor). Although political cartoons were of a similar nature, they weren't typically commissioned by the candidate benefitting, and thus were closer to an earlier analog to PAC advertising.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Newspapers, billboards, contra facta (mostly in 1824-1840's for that one), maybe soapbox ads (as in the advertising they used to plaster on the sides of those big soapboxes they sold - not to be confused with holding a rally while standing on a soapbox, which is a source of a common modern metaphor). Although political cartoons were of a similar nature, they weren't typically commissioned by the candidate benefitting, and thus were closer to an earlier analog to PAC advertising.

Thanks!

Update: Made the "VP's" into backers, since this election didn't have Pres-VP tickets, but elected both of these offices instead. 

What about cigar boxes for advertising? I know it's weird to get waaaay too detailed into everything that had a political ad on it, but I know the cigar boxes were a real cultural phenomenon from the latter 1800s.

If @Lyly gets the map attached before Saturday, and if I can get someone to test the level (at least a couple of months into it), then I'll have this one uploaded by Saturday, and then move on to 1800. 

5 hours ago, Lyly said:

Should be properly mapped.

United States - 1796.rar

Ok, got it! It looks perfect! Thanks!

Update: I've added @Lyly's map, and I've also played a few months as John Jay. The game seems to be functioning well for John Jay on Easy.