270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Fischer

Election Night

I've always thought that PI's election night simulation was rather bland and lacking in real suspense. Today, I played President Elect '88 for the first time and while PI is obviously better as an election simulator (I managed to lose as Reagan to Geraldine Ferraro in 1984), their election night simulation is much, much, much better. It dynamically calls states when there's enough vote to do so, like in real life, rather than calling them all at a set time like in PI. Also it alerts you when a state is called, which seems like a no-brainer but is not in PI. @admin_270 do you have any plans to implement any election night improvements in PI? I'm sure if a 30 year old game can do this, game engines in 2017 are more than capable of modelling a proper election night.

52 minutes ago, Bruce Fischer said:

I've always thought that PI's election night simulation was rather bland and lacking in real suspense. Today, I played President Elect '88 for the first time and while PI is obviously better as an election simulator (I managed to lose as Reagan to Geraldine Ferraro in 1984), their election night simulation is much, much, much better. It dynamically calls states when there's enough vote to do so, like in real life, rather than calling them all at a set time like in PI. Also it alerts you when a state is called, which seems like a no-brainer but is not in PI. @admin_270 do you have any plans to implement any election night improvements in PI? I'm sure if a 30 year old game can do this, game engines in 2017 are more than capable of modelling a proper election night.

This is a great idea, and it would also be great to add exit polls (which could also be added to PMI)

2 hours ago, Bruce Fischer said:

The thing is, such a system would be a bit of a burden for State Gubernatorial, City Mayoral, and many (though not all) foreign Presidential scenarios, where results are more or less released all at once, or certainly, at least, not in a dramatic region-by-region manner. Again, I tend to think of game features as an expansive scenario maker and player of custom, fan-made scenarios, not just a player of official TheorySpark scenarios.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

The thing is, such a system would be a bit of a burden for State Gubernatorial, City Mayoral, and many (though not all) foreign Presidential scenarios, where results are more or less released all at once, or certainly, at least, not in a dramatic region-by-region manner. Again, I tend to think of game features as an expansive scenario maker and player of custom, fan-made scenarios, not just a player of official TheorySpark scenarios.

Right now, there's the option to have the states report their popular vote results as they come in (every x minutes), or to just report it when 100% of the vote is totaled. The time when each state hits 100% is set, however. I don't see why there couldn't be an option to do what I'm suggesting. It doesn't have to replace the current system, but I'd love to have the option of dynamic reporting.

(also the popular vote totals should report more consistently with how they actually do. I played Trump v. Sanders today in PI and Trump was down 4 points in FL with 89% of the vote in, then wins the state by 5% 10 in-game minutes later)

21 minutes ago, Bruce Fischer said:

Right now, there's the option to have the states report their popular vote results as they come in (every x minutes), or to just report it when 100% of the vote is totaled. The time when each state hits 100% is set, however. I don't see why there couldn't be an option to do what I'm suggesting. It doesn't have to replace the current system, but I'd love to have the option of dynamic reporting.

(also the popular vote totals should report more consistently with how they actually do. I played Trump v. Sanders today in PI and Trump was down 4 points in FL with 89% of the vote in, then wins the state by 5% 10 in-game minutes later)

I always set the totals to come in every minute to make it more accurate

34 minutes ago, LegolasRedbard said:

I always set the totals to come in every minute to make it more accurate

Exhausted election night coverage anchors? :P

19 hours ago, Patine said:

Exhausted election night coverage anchors? :P

Reporters are replaced with rappers to keep the news flowing fast enough.

11 hours ago, LokiLoki22 said:

Reporters are replaced with rappers to keep the news flowing fast enough.

Having, say, Kendrick Lamar report vote totals should totally be a thing on 11/3/2020

President Elect was a good game for the 1980's.  It's pretty easy to beat the computer in any reasonably close scenario once you figure it out (don't underestimate national campaigning) but games against real players can be amazing.

I agree that it has a better and more exciting implementation of election night.

I'd like to see issues play a bigger and clearly defined role in negotiations.

Also, i would like to be able to continue if there's a  new election

Also, I notice its basically impossible to form a national unity goverment as a major party

Also, the PC never gives up on negotiations which is ridiculously unrealistic

I found a bug in which I negotiated a 55% confidence and supply seat agreement in a custom scenario and the negotiations wouldn't end.

If you want to see what the Election Night simulation @Bruce Fischer is talking about looks like, you can play President Elect 1988 free online here:

https://archive.org/details/msdos_President_Elect_-_1988_Edition_1987

Screenshots of the original game manual can be seen here:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st-president-elect-1988-edition_10292.html

President Forever 2008 did have an election night which included state projections ("we are calling ME for X", we are calling CO for Y" etc) but the problem with it was that it often called states prematurely. If, say, a few percent of the vote was in and one candidate was ahead by more than about 8% then that candidate would be projected the winner. This led to a bizarre bug where if the other candidate wound up as the victor in that state and this caused the overall national outcome to flip, there would be an avalanche of messages of "we are taking back our call". Another issue was that it would refuse to call states until around 99% was reporting if the margin was less than around 8%. 

In terms of U.S. elections then yeah, President Elect probably had the best. Most games of this kind simply just report the full state-by-state results without any trickling in. The old Randy Chase series did this, as did that obscure and unfinished Election Day game from around a decade ago. 

But election nights for Prime Minister Infinity UK are very well done as the results come in pretty much exactly as they do in real-life. The only thing missing is a swingometer, a Dimbleby and some grilling interviewer. 

Some calls for PI would be much appreciated @admin_270 and also it not being defined as taking 2 hours.