270soft Forum

US 1788 Election  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to help with any of the following?

• Play through the episode and offer general feedback.
    • Play through the episode as John Adams and as a weaker candidate to test the power/cost of ads to make sure it isn't too hard or too easy to win
    • Double-check the voting population of the states in the editor to make sure they are accurate.
    • Sorry, I can't help with this scenario

2 minutes ago, Lyly said:

I'll try it out as Clinton, lol

Thanks! If you could post a screenshot of your results it would be helpful, but you don't have to. Basically, I just need to know if it is too easy to win as VP with Clinton or if it is too hard to be competitive with Clinton. 

I plan on posting the Final Update of the 1788 election on Monday. I hope someone can do a playthrough with Clinton. I think all I'll need is someone to play a month or two into the election to see if it is too easy to gain with Clinton or too difficult to make any progress. 

If you only really need a couple months, here's my results on November 4th, which I just reached.

NwiLv4b.png
((Percentages on right, seats on bottom))

This is on easy mode, so maintaining a lead is more tedious than it is difficult. There's plenty of options for George Clinton to take and secure a lead, but the verb secure is really important. Most competition is regional. Rutledge holds South Carolina, so I didn't bother there, but he's also taken an easy lead in Virginia (where, again, I didn't bother competing - I chose a handful of states because of the winner-take-all allotment of votes). Milton and Armstrong trade second place behind Clinton in Georgia if you fight to maintain a lead there. Telfair had been a competitor in the southern states, but falls to negative campaigning rather handily, and Milton and Armstrong rise to fill his place. Huntington is the only real competition in Connecticut, but he is fierce. Huntington also competes in New Jersey, but that's about it. Adams has a few vulnerable positions in his best states, so he's fallen from the lead - replaced by Lincoln in Massachusetts itself, but he remains the strongest candidate taken on a nation-wide perspective, even though he is not strong enough in any one state to hold any votes.  Pennsylvania is the real free-for-all. Clinton, Adams, Lincoln, and Huntington are all within about 2% of each other. New Jersey is also a battleground, between Huntington, Jay, Clinton, and Hancock.

As you can see, in popular vote numbers/percentages, I'm not even in the top 9 (Clinton is exactly 10th). This is mostly because of Massachusetts, which has got to be more than half of all the popular vote as a whole. The only useful way to keep track of things is by seats on the national screen and by popular vote within the state screen.

The map itself in this scenario is ultimately less than useful. It's mostly just a way to navigate between states. So for the record, as of screenshot, here are the states Clinton is winning outright - Pennsylvania, 4% lead; Delaware, 4%; Connecticut, 4%; Georgia, 2%. I've also been back-and-forth in New Jersey (currently -1% to Huntington). Those states together make up 31 electoral votes.

2 hours ago, Lyly said:

If you only really need a couple months, here's my results on November 4th, which I just reached.

NwiLv4b.png
((Percentages on right, seats on bottom))

This is on easy mode, so maintaining a lead is more tedious than it is difficult. There's plenty of options for George Clinton to take and secure a lead, but the verb secure is really important. Most competition is regional. Rutledge holds South Carolina, so I didn't bother there, but he's also taken an easy lead in Virginia (where, again, I didn't bother competing - I chose a handful of states because of the winner-take-all allotment of votes). Milton and Armstrong trade second place behind Clinton in Georgia if you fight to maintain a lead there. Telfair had been a competitor in the southern states, but falls to negative campaigning rather handily, and Milton and Armstrong rise to fill his place. Huntington is the only real competition in Connecticut, but he is fierce. Huntington also competes in New Jersey, but that's about it. Adams has a few vulnerable positions in his best states, so he's fallen from the lead - replaced by Lincoln in Massachusetts itself, but he remains the strongest candidate taken on a nation-wide perspective, even though he is not strong enough in any one state to hold any votes.  Pennsylvania is the real free-for-all. Clinton, Adams, Lincoln, and Huntington are all within about 2% of each other. New Jersey is also a battleground, between Huntington, Jay, Clinton, and Hancock.

As you can see, in popular vote numbers/percentages, I'm not even in the top 9 (Clinton is exactly 10th). This is mostly because of Massachusetts, which has got to be more than half of all the popular vote as a whole. The only useful way to keep track of things is by seats on the national screen and by popular vote within the state screen.

The map itself in this scenario is ultimately less than useful. It's mostly just a way to navigate between states. So for the record, as of screenshot, here are the states Clinton is winning outright - Pennsylvania, 4% lead; Delaware, 4%; Connecticut, 4%; Georgia, 2%. I've also been back-and-forth in New Jersey (currently -1% to Huntington). Those states together make up 31 electoral votes.

Thanks! This is valuable. I think for "easy" this is about where I want Clinton to be. I wish the map could be more useful, but sadly, I can't think of a way to display only ballot 2 colors, since it operates on popular vote. 

Update: I'm updating the blurbs, and I've also made the "VP's" (which shouldn't be used) from "- - -" to "Washington backers," "Clinton backers," etc. All their values are set to 1. 

Update: This update is done. Expect it to be uploaded with a greatly updated Campaign page tomorrow. 

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎02 at 3:23 PM, vcczar said:

Update: I'm now adding a lot more endorsers. Part of the fun will be playing as a potential VP and trying to win over these endorsers before Washington wins them. 

Great stuff! I was going to get around to trying a playtest myself, but by the time I was about to try it, @Lyly, @MysteryKnight, and a few others had most things already in hand. I do look forward to trying the official release though.

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

Great stuff! I was going to get around to trying a playtest myself, but by the time I was about to try it, @Lyly, @MysteryKnight, and a few others had most things already in hand. I do look forward to trying the official release though.

You can play Clinton for 1792