270soft Forum

US 1788 Election  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to help with any of the following?

• Play through the episode and offer general feedback.
    • Play through the episode as John Adams and as a weaker candidate to test the power/cost of ads to make sure it isn't too hard or too easy to win
    • Double-check the voting population of the states in the editor to make sure they are accurate.
    • Sorry, I can't help with this scenario

I've decided to start the "Final" Updates early, since these first scenarios are mostly complete. Please post feedback, desires, etc., regarding the first presidential election. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

@WVProgressive

Thanks! I look forward to your feedback. 

Your welcome! By the way I think there is an issue for 1948 when playing as Wallace after the primaries when it gives you the option to choose a VP it only says Pick VP later

5a20901fe5cff_VPissue.PNG.36beddacefc58fcdbe19cec38c640386.PNG

11 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Your welcome! By the way I think there is an issue for 1948 when playing as Wallace after the primaries when it gives you the option to choose a VP it only says Pick VP later

5a20901fe5cff_VPissue.PNG.36beddacefc58fcdbe19cec38c640386.PNG

Weird. Remind me when I get to 1948. I'm going to be going in order. 

5 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Also @vcczar Could you help with an Italy 1946 referendum?

I don't know anything about Italian politics in 1946, and I'm also going to be fully engaged in doing the final updates for all elections from 1788-2020. I'll try playing it once and offer feedback, but that's about as much as I can do. Also it needs to be PI, since I don't have CI or any of the other games. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I don't know anything about Italian politics in 1946, and I'm also going to be fully engaged in doing the final updates for all elections from 1788-2020. I'll try playing it once and offer feedback, but that's about as much as I can do. Also it needs to be PI, since I don't have CI or any of the other games. 

I may make it once PI is fixed, I have a scenario to release once two-round is implemented.

40 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

I did I selected the last option I can help with more modern ones but not the earlier ones.

Ok

@vcczar I think some of the ad types should be renamed in some very old elections. Like radio ads could be renamed (and given cheaper base cost) as "contrafacta" (those custom alteration of popular folk songs of the era glorifying various candidates they got everyone singing, like "the Hunters of Kentucky," in 1828 and 1832 for Jackson," that were used between 1828 and the 1840's. And billboard ads should replace television (again, with cheaper cost) until the 1920's.

42 minutes ago, Patine said:

@vcczar I think some of the ad types should be renamed in some very old elections. Like radio ads could be renamed (and given cheaper base cost) as "contrafacta" (those custom alteration of popular folk songs of the era glorifying various candidates they got everyone singing, like "the Hunters of Kentucky," in 1828 and 1832 for Jackson," that were used between 1828 and the 1840's. And billboard ads should replace television (again, with cheaper cost) until the 1920's.

Great idea!

ma man john adams...

but seriously, i'll play as him. 

Is this your final updates one or the previous one?

I can help with all three! Is this referencing the scenario as currently uploaded?

1 hour ago, Kingthero said:

ma man john adams...

but seriously, i'll play as him. 

Is this your final updates one or the previous one?

You've had about four different "ma man's" on these forums. Make up your mind! :P

State voting check:
Most states are fine.
Maryland should be 7,732.
Pennsylvania should be 7,838.
Virginia should be 4,333.

Eligible voters nationwide is listed as being the same as the entire population with 100%, not sure if you wanted to change that. Total historical votes are 43,782, which would be a 55.23% turnout.

edit - also here is a very slightly better flag for the US. Size limitation stinks, but it looks more circular rather than elliptical this way.

4 hours ago, Lyly said:

State voting check:
Most states are fine.
Maryland should be 7,732.
Pennsylvania should be 7,838.
Virginia should be 4,333.

Eligible voters nationwide is listed as being the same as the entire population with 100%, not sure if you wanted to change that. Total historical votes are 43,782, which would be a 55.23% turnout.

edit - also here is a very slightly better flag for the US. Size limitation stinks, but it looks more circular rather than elliptical this way.

Thanks, Lyly. I ended up making the entire population the same as the eligible voters because population doesn't seem to really play a role in the game. So it seemed to be a waste of time to type in actual populations. For more accurate results, I put in the historical voter turnout (except in places that didn't have a PV), and set it to 100% voter turnout. 

I guess my question for you and others is this. Do you think I should put in the historical populations, even though I really just need to put the historical voter population, as I have done? I believe my method leads to the more accurate historical results. 

I should have probably elaborated that the population I was hoping double check was the population of votes for each state. 

18 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Kingthero @WVProgressive @SeanFKennedy @WVProgressive @jnewt @michaelsdiamonds @Lyly

I'm still updating this scenario, but this is my internal version if you want to do some playthroughs. 

United States - 1788FinalEdits.zip

Awesome I'll check it out as soon as I can!

Regarding population - I think if it makes any difference one way or another, having a realistic turnout/pop count is more important whatever game mechanics requires.

3 minutes ago, Lyly said:

Regarding population - I think if it makes any difference one way or another, having a realistic turnout/pop count is more important whatever game mechanics requires.

But only 13 000 and something people between 4 or 5 State that had popular votes (and not State Legislatures) decide the State Electors actually voted in 1788.

59 minutes ago, Patine said:

But only 13 000 and something people between 4 or 5 State that had popular votes (and not State Legislatures) decide the State Electors actually voted in 1788.

Yeah, and we didn't have complete popular vote for every state until after Reconstruction. SC never had a popular vote until it was readmitted, and forced to have it. 

I really like the longer bios I was skeptical when i first herd of it (before I registered) but seeing it implemented totally changed my opinion and would like to see more of this for the other bios, if that wouldn't be too burdensome.

1 minute ago, WVProgressive said:

I really like the longer bios I was skeptical when i first herd of it (before I registered) but seeing it implemented totally changed my opinion and would like to see more of this for the other bios, if that wouldn't be too burdensome.

I like it, too, but it's too difficult to implement, since I can't control the formatting of the bios. So I think, unfortunately, I'm going to resort back to the shorter bios, but I'll try to make them more informative then they currently are. 

Update: I'm now adding a lot more endorsers. Part of the fun will be playing as a potential VP and trying to win over these endorsers before Washington wins them.