270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Perot vs. Trump

A lot of Trump supporters like to compare Trump to Perot, as if they were similar candidates. This is a false assumption. I just re-watched a 1992 debate, and Perot is much more harmony driven, much more supportive of American diversity, much more verbally competent and knowledgeable. 

32 minutes ago, vcczar said:

A lot of Trump supporters like to compare Trump to Perot, as if they were similar candidates. This is a false assumption. I just re-watched a 1992 debate, and Perot is much more harmony driven, much more supportive of American diversity, much more verbally competent and knowledgeable. 

his former 1996 running mate supports him. alot of his former supporters support trump as well.

44 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Trade. Perot was famous on being the only one out of the 3 men against NAFTA- which according to Trump is the 'worst trade in history'. So while Perot had a better personality, they had the same skepticism towards free trade. Shoot, my stepdad has a Perot pin he kept from the 92 campaign. I don't think I should have to name who he voted for last november. 

24 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Trade. Perot was famous on being the only one out of the 3 men against NAFTA- which according to Trump is the 'worst trade in history'. So while Perot had a better personality, they had the same skepticism towards free trade. Shoot, my stepdad has a Perot pin he kept from the 92 campaign. I don't think I should have to name who he voted for last november. 

I think P.T. Barnum should have run back in the 1800's. I think he should be added as a what-if candidate to one of the elections within his heyday, if he hasn't already.

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

I think P.T. Barnum should have run back in the 1800's. I think he should be added as a what-if candidate to one of the elections within his heyday, if he hasn't already.

That's a good idea. Remind me to do this when I get on the "Final" updates. 

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Barnum served in the Connecticut legislature and as mayor of Bridgeport as a Republican.  He was the sponsor of that state's infamous contraceptive ban that remained on the books until 1965.

17 minutes ago, pilight said:

Barnum served in the Connecticut legislature and as mayor of Bridgeport as a Republican.  He was the sponsor of that state's infamous contraceptive ban that remained on the books until 1965.

I know this. But I'm referring to a hypothetical Presidential run. And, I didn't say I agreed with all (or most) of his policies, either.

4 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

I am sure perot (who is still alive but he in retirement very quiet these days explain why he never spoke on or endorse anyone this election) voted for trump.

4 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

I am sure perot (who is still alive but he in retirement very quiet these days explain why he never spoke on or endorse anyone this election) voted for trump.

Citations for Ross Perot's Wikipedia website confirms that while he voted for Romney in 2012, he didn't endorse anyone in 2016. If he voted for Trump, Clinton, or other, he did it quietly. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Citations for Ross Perot's Wikipedia website confirms that while he voted for Romney in 2012, he didn't endorse anyone in 2016. If he voted for Trump, Clinton, or other, he did it quietly. 

i dont thing he would have voted for clinton i put the money on trump really because gary johnson was for tpp (I am 100% sure perot is against the tpp))i am sure he hates that he haven't done a interview on any major cable tv network since 2012 i believe very surprise thought one  of the networks would want to know what he think of trump.

13 minutes ago, vcczar said:

11 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

i dont thing he would have voted for clinton i put the money on trump really because gary johnson was for tpp (I am 100% sure perot is against the tpp))i am sure he hates that he haven't done a interview on any major cable tv network since 2012 i believe very surprise thought one  of the networks would want to know what he think of trump.

Trump was a member of the Reform Party, was floated as a possible Reform candidate for President in 2000, and mentioned several times as a possible Reform candidate for Mayor of NYC and Governor of New York, and ideologically, at least as he campaigned in 2016, he still seems closer to a Reform Party platform then a Republican one, including being anti-free-trade and anti-foreign-intervention (again, as he campaigned), planks the GOP hasn't had since the 1940's, and the fact he strangely campaigned against the GOP (as a party) as much as he did against the Democrats, despite having a Republican label. That said, I have no idea myself who Perot personally voted for.

I'm disappointed. I thought Perot was planning another presidential run!