270soft Forum

Why doesn't Trump confront Putin about election meddling?

Considering a bi-partisan intelligence committee has proof of Russian interference in our elections (Facebook ads, etc.), why won't Trump confront Putin about this?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What are the reasons that Trump will not confront Putin over election meddling, despite proof offered by a bipartisan/non-partisan intelligence committee (Facebook ads, etc.)?

• Donald Trump believes Putin when the Russian leader said he did not meddle, but he does not believe US government intelligence agencies
    • Donald Trump is actually weak and is afraid to talk tough to someone he sees as a potential threat to his own toughness, unlike Kim Jong Un, who is an easy target.
    • Donald Trump is afraid that if he pressures Putin, then Putin might reveal information damaging to Trump
    • Donald Trump believes that it is unwise to do so for reasons of diplomacy, trade, etc.
    • Donald Trump is biding his time to take on Putin at a more advantageous time.
    • Donald Trump is afraid that if he focuses on Putin, then it will just draw more attention to the Russian Probe
    • Donald Trump likes Putin, and believes that Putin is an asset to him, and sees it personally as a stupid idea to pressure someone that is helpful to him.
    • Donald Trump is just trying to anger establishment Democrats and Republicans by not doing what they want him to do.
    • Donald Trump does not consider the hackers, ads, etc., to be tied to Putin, and he might not even believe they even existed/exist.
    • Other (comment below)
  2. 2. If you were president, would you have spoken out against Putin's alleged election meddling?

• Yes, because it's obvious they attempted to meddle with our election, just as they have done in elections in other countries.
    • Yes, but only with more proof.
    • No, even if there is proof, or even if I'm given more proof.
    • No, because it didn't happen, or because all major countries meddle in other people's elections. Not a big deal.
    • Other (comment below)
  3. 3. Do you approve of how Trump has been handling Putin during the Trump's presidency?

• Yes
    • Not sure/I don't know
    • No

My main issue with the U.S complaining is that it's very hypocritical to do so when the U.S has been interfering and even more blatantly for a long time including directly funding the opposition,rigging the ballots etc.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

My main issue with the U.S complaining is that it's very hypocritical to do so when the U.S has been interfering and even more blatantly for a long time including directly funding the opposition,rigging the ballots etc.

^^^^

This

Also, I think Mark Zuckerberg won't be complaining when he uses Facebook to manipulate the 2020 election when he runs.

19 minutes ago, LegolasRedbard said:

^^^^

This

Also, I think Mark Zuckerberg won't be complaining when he uses Facebook to manipulate the 2020 election when he runs.

He isn't going to run. I think the Russian Ads have killed any chance of him running. 

1 hour ago, NYrepublican said:

I agree that it's hypocritical, but I don't think any president should just let someone off the hook if they're found doing it. 

Just now, vcczar said:

I agree that it's hypocritical, but I don't think any president should just let someone off the hook if they're found doing it. 

So bring it up on occassion but there's no need for the "HOW DARE YOU BUY FACEBOOK ADS AND SEND THEM TO VOTERS" attitude

Well, there is evidence that Russian interests bought ads/had troll farms and such. My one concern though, is that we don't know if this behavior is unique to Russia. I would be interested in seeing the dollar amounts spent by all foreign nationals/entities, so we can get a handle on the scale of things.

Regarding leaked emails, I'm a skeptic based on the publicly released information in the DNI report and releases, but perhaps Trump has intel that is significantly more of a slam-dunk for attribution. I know I'm likely in the minority on this matter though, so I'll sit this part of the discussion out.

As for his reasoning? I think Trump really believes that Russia is a potentially useful force in diplomacy, and he had designs for them to become a partner of ours in operations. The issue being, obviously working with Russia is the antithesis of a geopolitical orthodoxy for the West post-WW2. Since most elements of permanent government (military, intelligence community, state department) are firmly entrenched, and have been around for quite some time, I think it would be difficult to oversee a shift in US diplomatic policy that quickly. To some extent, I think Obama also had designs of changing American foreign policy, but once he was in the office, his hand was forced to some extent.

It's a bit unfortunate, because shaking up the geopolitical orthodoxy was a big part of why I supported Obama in 08 and Trump in 16 (did not support Obama in 12, and if Trump engages in regime change, will not support him in 20).

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

New poll

There is the possibility that, if such hacking occurred, it wasn't the Russian government or with their knowledge. This isn't the Cold War, and the USSR isn't still standing. The assumptions that hackings out of Russia must ALL be sponsored, approved, and even ordered by the government would likely be true in the case of North Korea, and probably China (though more and more uncertain - evidence of independent hackers arising there is growing), but all hackers in Russia being under firm government control or surveillance is not really as true as it is for hackers out of First World countries, or countries like Brazil or India, in the end.

15 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

Because it never happen.

Ah, Mr. Absolute Knowledge who has all the answers and knows things for sure and speak with authority on areas where very few know anything and the access to such information is highly exclusive and/or privileged. But somehow, @Presidentinsertname knows these things with utter certainty, even if the VAST MAJORITY can only guess and speculate. He knows the TRUTH about the Russian hacking debacle, and Trumps' personal bill of mental health, and other such areas, despite having no realistic access to these areas of knowledge of or way or reason to know them. :S

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

Ah, Mr. Absolute Knowledge who has all the answers and knows things for sure and speak with authority on areas where very few know anything and the access to such information is highly exclusive and/or privileged. But somehow, @Presidentinsertname knows these things with utter certainty, even if the VAST MAJORITY can only guess and speculate. He knows the TRUTH about the Russian hacking debacle, and Trumps' personal bill of mental health, and other such areas, despite having no realistic access to these areas of knowledge of or way or reason to know them. :S

... or even to grammar lessons seemingly.