270soft Forum
vcczar

Help weakening ads

@admin_270

One of the major issues with my historical scenarios is that people can spam ads and win easily by keeping with that. I just got a response from someone that is playing as Cordell Hull in 1948. He started with 4% in the primaries, and by spamming ads he was able to get to 68%. 

Is there a way to weaken ads in the editor? 

The money aspect and the ad power aspects are the one area of creating these scenarios that I can't seem to get working properly. 

Thanks. 

23 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

What do you mean by spamming ads?

Having so much money you can buy 100 ads per turn.

26 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

What do you mean by spamming ads?

This was the comment. How do I make this much more difficult to do?

"Played as Cordell Hull for Dem primaries, started off at 4% support, now at 68.9%. It is amazing how by running many newspaper ads and then campaigning in almost every state can result in such a large surge"

He told me it only took him 2 months to dominate the primary as a weak candidate.

To do this, currently you have to open the ads.xml file in an XML editor. Adding these sorts of variables to the Editor will happen fairly soon. It's pretty straightforward to modify, though. Just change the numeric value for the relevant variable in the XML file.

2 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Notepad++ is a free, versatile editor, and colors the XML syntax to make it easier to read.

Thanks. Do you have any suggestions on how much I could increase the creation time,  increase the costs, decrease the power? You might be a little better at understanding the values in this. This is predominately for the 1788-1956 elections. 

I would recommend experimenting with it, and seeing what works. If it's that the player has too much money, I would try increasing the costs first.

4 hours ago, admin_270 said:

I would recommend experimenting with it, and seeing what works. If it's that the player has too much money, I would try increasing the costs first.

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

Thanks. Do you have any suggestions on how much I could increase the creation time,  increase the costs, decrease the power? You might be a little better at understanding the values in this. This is predominately for the 1788-1956 elections. 

That's a good point about increasing costs within the paradigm of the money co-efficient. Newspaper ads in the pre-radio and television era often cost a mint, comparatively, even for politicians the editor leaned toward ideologically.