270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Big Day for Democrats

1. De Blasio gets one of five historic NY mayoral landslides since WWII

He's going to get 65% of the vote, massive landslide. Although this is down from the 73% he won the first time. 

In recent history, only Democrat Ed Koch 74% and 78% in 1981 and 1985 has done better. Robert Wagner had 69% in 1957. 

Of the five landslide victories since WWII, De Blasio's got two of them. 

2. Democrats win Virginia's three major offices: Governor, Lt Gov. and Attorney General. 

Democrats run the table in a battleground state. 

3. Christie takes his party down in New Jersey

Democrats take back New Jersey, as was expected. The new governor is a former US Ambassador to Germany, and is now getting executive, domestic experience. Perhaps he runs in 2024 for the presidency?

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

He's going to get 65% of the vote, massive landslide. Although this is down from the 73% he won the first time. 

In recent history, only Democrat Ed Koch 74% and 78% in 1981 and 1985 has done better. Robert Wagner had 69% in 1957. 

I'm curious about the results by neighborhood in Queens.

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Although I know you did say post-WW2, didn't that Mayor (I can't remember his name) in the late 1850's endorsed by Tweed and benefiting from the so-called "Tweed City Charter," get the absolute biggest landslide NYC history (even if the deck was stacked in his favour)?

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

Although I know you did say post-WW2, didn't that Mayor (I can't remember his name) in the late 1850's endorsed by Tweed and benefiting from the so-called "Tweed City Charter," get the absolute biggest landslide NYC history (even if the deck was stacked in his favour)?

I'm not sure. Perhaps you mean John T. Hoffmann. I've never seen his election results. 

There's a ridiculous close district 30 city council race now

Separated by 32 votes with 95% reporting: ELIZABETH S. CROWLEY 9561 49.84% ROBERT F. HOLDEN 9593 50.01%

I may make a scenario for this once conditional running is added since it's needed for this election

1 hour ago, NYrepublican said:

There's a ridiculous close district 30 city council race now

Separated by 32 votes with 95% reporting: ELIZABETH S. CROWLEY 9561 49.84% ROBERT F. HOLDEN 9593 50.01%

I may make a scenario for this once conditional running is added since it's needed for this election

For the whole City Council Election, or the one district? I really hope it's the former.

13 hours ago, vcczar said:

Democrats take back New Jersey, as was expected. The new governor is a former US Ambassador to Germany, and is now getting executive, domestic experience. Perhaps he runs in 2024 for the presidency?

I wouldn't be surprised. He'd certainly get help from the establishment if he were to run. He's had plans to be NJ's next governor for years now. Maybe his ultimate goal is president. 

15 hours ago, vcczar said:

2. Democrats win Virginia's three major offices: Governor, Lt Gov. and Attorney General. 

Democrats run the table in a battleground state. 

he didnt win because of him but beacuse of christie he will become unpopular in time watch dems already held all three of those office and ed was a idiot anyway de blasio landslide was expected the dems are still view unfavorable (along with republicans all three of these races have taken place where trump lost so i dont see this affecting much plus va always vote against who is in the house with 2013 being the only exception so calling it a referendum on the president at the time is not really fair..

18 hours ago, Patine said:

For the whole City Council Election, or the one district? I really hope it's the former.

That district. it'll be at least week for results 'cause absentee ballots need to be counted before it can be called.

3 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

That district. it'll be at least week for results 'cause absentee ballots need to be counted before it can be called.

I'd be far more interested in the whole City Council. In fact, let me rephrase that - I'd be interested in the whole City Council, period, but not the district alone, as a scenario.

25 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'd be far more interested in the whole City Council. In fact, let me rephrase that - I'd be interested in the whole City Council, period, but not the district alone, as a scenario.

The Whole Council was mostly lopsided wins.

Just now, Presidentinsertname said:

losing one seat is not lopsided if that was the case then the 2001 uk general election was a lopsided victory.

Even if Crowley lost the council would have a 97% re-election rate. If Crowley wins the council will have  a 100% re-election rate.

Just now, NYrepublican said:

Even if Crowley lost the council would have a 97% re-election rate. If Crowley wins the council will have  a 100% re-election rate.

still not a lopsided dont really mean any they most end up finding ballots all over throw the place

3 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

losing one seat is not lopsided if that was the case then the 2001 uk general election was a lopsided victory.

I think he means the margins of victory were rather lopsided. 

8 hours ago, Presidentinsertname said:

in stronghold terms maybe. like a republican winning 40% of the vote in ca.

Do you even know how the word "lopsided" is appropriately applied to electoral politics? It doesn't sound that way.

I know I am quite late for this, but I think Ed Gillespie's loss is a major setback for Republicans. Form my point of view he was great candidate and it would have been more than necessary to get him elected. A candidate of the kind we would need more of. Gillespie could have united the party, since he had endorsements from both Bush and Trump - and their respective adherents (as you all know party unity is very important to me). It could have been the start for a new era in Virginia. Sad, but we have to respect those decisions.

4 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

(as you all know party unity is very important to me).

A little too important if I may humbly opine. You're hammering of party unity at all costs and unconditional support of the candidate nominated and government elected as a paramount virtue is just a bit disturbing - dangerously close, in fact, to Lenin's original doctrine of Democratic Centralism, strangely. I must say that the right to dissent, to say the government is wrong, and to criticize the government, if you believe they have gone astray - even if you originally voted for and supported that government in the first place - is one of the greatest and most important rights, and RESPONSIBILITIES, as well, citizens enjoy in First World Constitutional Contested Electoral Systems. So, do forgive me if your rhetoric around party loyalty and unity as such powerful virtues comes across as a bit disturbing.

20 hours ago, Patine said:

A little too important if I may humbly opine. You're hammering of party unity at all costs and unconditional support of the candidate nominated and government elected as a paramount virtue is just a bit disturbing - dangerously close, in fact, to Lenin's original doctrine of Democratic Centralism, strangely. I must say that the right to dissent, to say the government is wrong, and to criticize the government, if you believe they have gone astray - even if you originally voted for and supported that government in the first place - is one of the greatest and most important rights, and RESPONSIBILITIES, as well, citizens enjoy in First World Constitutional Contested Electoral Systems. So, do forgive me if your rhetoric around party loyalty and unity as such powerful virtues comes across as a bit disturbing.

I see your point, but if I were a Democrat I also wanted the establishment and the progressive wing to unite in order to win as many races as possible against the Republicans.